Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You can never fail if you are determined to succeed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭siebey123

More notes on Human Reproduction

Vocab from French reading comprehension noted.

Circulatory system - revised and refreshed

- first 3 sraiths revised and questions looked over

- 5th German picture story studied once more

Les Passe-Temps and plans for holidays revised

Biology - Food mindmap made
    French - L'ecole and summer plans
    English - Bishop - The Fish

French - more L'ecole, focused on expanding answers

German - revised over oral work (general conversation)

Irish - 2 sraiths learned

Psalms 46:5:

"God is within her, she will not fall."

An t-earrach thiar - images and story of the poem

- The Prodigal by Elizabeth Bishop

- 2 sraith pictures

#4 German picture story and general questions revised

• Advertisement

Yesterday: Part times jobs for Irish oral
    - Need to keep going over questions!

French - oral questions revised

Today:

Animal tissue and connective tissue revised. The endocrine system covered.

Stalin's Show Trials done: 1st Show Trial

French oral work: school.

Listened to a little bit of a German podcast.

Watched a few clips of "Paris, je t'aime" and got familiar with the Passé Simple. Did the 2008 French listening comprehension as practice.

Did some of 2013 Irish listening comprehension.

Finished revising Stalin's Show Trials

Exam questions on Cell Diversity, Photosynthesis and Enzymes. Did first few short questions in 2015 paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lumosteph

siebey123 wrote: »
    Listened to a little bit of a German podcast.

Watched a few clips of "Paris, je t'aime" and for familiar with the Passé Simple. Did the 2008 French listening comprehension as practice.

Did some of 2013 Irish listening comprehension.

Finished revising Stalin's Show Trials

Exam questions on Cell Diversity, Photosynthesis and Enzymes. Did first few short questions in 2015 paper.

Where do you watch Paris, je t'aime? :D

lumosteph wrote: »
    Where do you watch Paris, je t'aime? :D

YouTube! They're so interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lumosteph

YouTube! They're so interesting

Thanks so much! Excited to check them out, anything to help improve French at this stage :rolleyes:

lumosteph wrote: »
    Thanks so much! Excited to check them out, anything to help improve French at this stage :rolleyes:

Not a bother! They help a lot with the listening comprehensions tbh

Biology: Started Vegetative Propagation and Cell Division mind maps.

Did part of 2008 German tape.

Noted some French Subjunctive Phrases and more work done for oral

Did Thematic and Future Projection questions for picture story #5 for German

French written section revised (diary entry phrases)

Oral work : my favourite subject (French)

History : US foreign policy in Berlin essay started

Irish oral: timpiste, scoil, sickness and second last sraith pictuir

Irish oral : áiseanna and sraith 19 revised

French : typical day and re-wrote two sample answers for written section
    German : Thematic and Future Projection questions for picture story #4 learned

Yesterday: German oral, Irish oral: Social problems and Media, little bit of French oral practice

Today: Skeletal system for bio , French oral, German oral

German oral practice
    French oral practice
    Irish sraith learned

English - Paper 1
    History - Jarrow March revised

--

Lost a bit of focus for a few days. Back st it properly tomorrow though God willing

French oral - Friends and Leaving Cert

Irish - 2 sraith pictures done and general conversation revised

Biology - Defence system mind map started

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Edrees98

What's your RSR project on?

• Advertisement

Edrees98 wrote: »
    What's your RSR project on?

The 1968 Black Power Salute and its cultural impact :) what about you?

Yesterday: finished bullet points on Vegetative Propagation for bio

Sraith picture learned

Alcohol phrases learned for French and Mes Amis & Le Sport

Ni Chuilleanáin sample answer started

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Edrees98

The 1968 Black Power Salute and its cultural impact :) what about you?

Damn the title sounds juicy! Mine is Kemal Atatürk's quest of modernising Turkey. I would give at 6/10 on the interesting scale.

Edrees98 wrote: »
    Damn the title sounds juicy! Mine is Kemal Atatürk's quest of modernising Turkey. I would give at 6/10 on the interesting scale.

It sounds pretty interesting though! And super unique definitely

And thank you :)

Yesterday: French oral , focused on linking words and how keep communication going

German : 3 Roleplays learned

Today: History essay done
    English paper 1: blogs and diaries
    Biology: human defence system definition revised
    General short definitions learned
    King Lear quotes learned

Saturday: Sraith picture learned
    King Lear answer - "The evil characters in the play are more interesting than the good."
    French - L'ecole revised for oral

Plan for today:

German reading comprehension vocab

French oral - France and holidays

German oral - 4th picture story

English - Plath exam question

Irish - 2 sraith pictures

Verse of the day: John 11:25-26
    "Jesus said to her "I am the resurrection and life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die. And whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?"

Happy Easter! He has Risen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

Siebey123, my man (or woman), I literally just began history and I'm amazed by how much content there is. I raced through Unit 1 yesterday and today (my mind is just one big blur of Communists and Nazis at this point). I see you and the other poster were discussing the Research Paper and I still have NO idea what this is meant to take the form of. Could you tell me how you went about starting it? If you're busy or you just don't want to I completely understand (I've had to politely tell friends and family to eff off when they distract me from studying myself). Sorry for hijacking your thread! Keep up the good work.

TSMGUY wrote: »
    Siebey123, my man (or woman), I literally just began history and I'm amazed by how much content there is. I raced through Unit 1 yesterday and today (my mind is just one big blur of Communists and Nazis at this point). I see you and the other poster were discussing the Research Paper and I still have NO idea what this is meant to take the form of. Could you tell me how you went about starting it? If you're busy or you just don't want to I completely understand (I've had to politely tell friends and family to eff off when they distract me from studying myself). Sorry for hijacking your thread! Keep up the good work.

I'm a girl ahahah but the research project yes yessss I'll explain :) Basically it is a project about something or somebody in history, but you must have an interest in it. It can be about absolutely ANYTHINGGG as long as it happened before 1990. It has four sections and if you google "history RSR project" the criteria should come up and there are also several sample ones. It is worth 20% of your overall grade, btw.

The very first thing I did was research, research and research. I used wiki, the library and watched documentaries on my topic. After that, I had a solid foundation and I was able to begin quite swiftly, but everything relies on the research you do.

You will open with "Title" which is basically the name of your project.

You first section will be an "Outline Plan" where you basically outline what your project will be about. This is broken up into sections: 1) Define and Justify - Basically say what your proposed study is "The proposed study of this study is...."

2) Aims (what do you intend on achieving after this project eg "To further my knowledge and understanding about..." - you need 4 of these.

(3 - The intended approach - how do you intend on getting information? Eg "I intend on making use of the Internet..." (Be careful with internet sources, the examiners will definitely check the site to make sure it is authentic". You need 3 of these.

4) Sources - you say where you got your information - books, newspapers, websites but if you're using a website please make it only one of your 3 sources, examiners really aren't too fond of in the Internet. For books say when and where the book was published and who published it.

The second part of the project is the Evaluation of Sources

Here you basically outline your 3 sources and what information they gave you, but you can be negative as well as positive here. Eg "The book is very well laid out with clearly defined chapters though at times I found it difficult to understand the language."

Now the 4th part is the most important part. This is your extended essay and im not sure what the word count is exactly, but it should be on the examinations site. Here, you just write about your project in a normal essay fashion eg beginning, middle and end.

The 5th and final part is called the "Review of the Research Process"

You pretty much reflect on your whole experience and state whether you achieved your aims in the Outline Plan. Did you improve your research skills? Organisational skills? You can say it all here :)

Your project should not be on something broad like "Martin Luther King: A Civil Rights Leader". Instead, make it narrow and focus on something smaller on him for example, and expand on it.

Okay, so the project is due 29th April I think, so I think it would be best to start as soon as possible. I'm not sure where you can get the official booklet to write it in, but I'm sure you can get it from the school you're sitting the exams in.

Also, leavingcerthistory (website) has a full sample essay done out to perfection and it's a brilliant aid!

I know History is a heavy subject, but you'll get through it, no worries. On a completely different note don't forget you need to do 2 Irish topics and one European/American topic. Best thing to do now is to time yourself writing essays which should not exceed 42.5 minutes and to keep on revising your 3 case studies (which, in comparison to other years are actually fairrrrr sound tbh)

Best of luck and I really hope I explained it well enough. Please ask if you're stuck on anything, it's not a bother!

Sorry for not replying quicker and thank you very much and keep up the work, it'll be worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

I'm a girl ahahah but the research project yes yessss I'll explain :) Basically it is a project about something or somebody in history, but you must have an interest in it. It can be about absolutely ANYTHINGGG as long as it happened before 1990. It has four sections and if you google "history RSR project" the criteria should come up and there are also several sample ones. It is worth 20% of your overall grade, btw.

The very first thing I did was research, research and research. I used wiki, the library and watched documentaries on my topic. After that, I had a solid foundation and I was able to begin quite swiftly, but everything relies on the research you do.

You will open with "Title" which is basically the name of your project.

You first section will be an "Outline Plan" where you basically outline what your project will be about. This is broken up into sections: 1) Define and Justify - Basically say what your proposed study is "The proposed study of this study is...."

2) Aims (what do you intend on achieving after this project eg "To further my knowledge and understanding about..." - you need 4 of these.

(3 - The intended approach - how do you intend on getting information? Eg "I intend on making use of the Internet..." (Be careful with internet sources, the examiners will definitely check the site to make sure it is authentic". You need 3 of these.

4) Sources - you say where you got your information - books, newspapers, websites but if you're using a website please make it only one of your 3 sources, examiners really aren't too fond of in the Internet. For books say when and where the book was published and who published it.

The second part of the project is the Evaluation of Sources

Here you basically outline your 3 sources and what information they gave you, but you can be negative as well as positive here. Eg "The book is very well laid out with clearly defined chapters though at times I found it difficult to understand the language."

Now the 4th part is the most important part. This is your extended essay and the word count is 1200. Here, you just write about your project in a normal essay fashion eg beginning, middle and end.

The 5th and final part is called the "Review of the Research Process"

You pretty much reflect on your whole experience and state whether you achieved your aims in the Outline Plan. Did you improve your research skills? Organisational skills? You can say it all here :)

Your project should not be on something broad like "Martin Luther King: A Civil Rights Leader". Instead, make it narrow and focus on something smaller on him for example, and expand on it.

Okay, so the project is due 29th April I think, so I think it would be best to start as soon as possible. I'm not sure where you can get the official booklet to write it in, but I'm sure you can get it from the school you're sitting the exams in.

Also, leavingcerthistory (website) has a full sample essay done out to perfection and it's a brilliant aid!

I know History is a heavy subject, but you'll get through it, no worries. On a completely different note don't forget you need to do 2 Irish topics and one European/American topic. Best thing to do now is to time yourself writing essays which should not exceed 42.5 minutes and to keep on revising your 3 case studies (which, in comparison to other years are actually fairrrrr sound tbh)

Best of luck and I really hope I explained it well enough. Please ask if you're stuck on anything, it's not a bother!

Sorry for not replying quicker and thank you very much and keep up the work, it'll be worth it!
    Oh wow, you're definitely a girl, guys are never this helpful! Thank you very much, you explained it perfectly and I realized last night there's a section on the Research Project at the back of the history book. Your explanation is way clearer though, thanks so much! And as for you responding "late", I literally just woke up :D

I fully expect to see you in the results thread four months from now casually announcing that you got 625 points!

• Advertisement

TSMGUY wrote: »
    Oh wow, you're definitely a girl, guys are never this helpful! Thank you very much, you explained it perfectly and I realized last night there's a section on the Research Project at the back of the history book. Your explanation is way clearer though, thanks so much! And as for you responding "late", I literally just woke up :D

I fully expect to see you in the results thread four months from now casually announcing that you got 625 points!

Ahahah not with my 2 OL subjects :') and honestly, not a bother at all, we're all in this together. Glad I could help!!

Advertisement