Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ultimate Fighter: Team McGregor v Team Faber Finale - Edgar v Mendes

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Frankies title shot just confirmed by Dana.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Presser for anyone still up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CZ0fLrZL9o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Mendes via Submission
    Frankie just said Dana confirmed he can have the next title shot, he looks really happy :)

Loser of Holloway vs Stephens get's Mendes. So thats what Chads up to next sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DirkDiggly22

Wow.. Didn't expect Mendes to fold.fair enough Conor made him, but after watching replay v Aldo I'm thinking Mendes will walk through walls.. Wow. Easy. Too easy but I didn't take that punch so how do I know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Mendes via KO/TKO
    Axwell wrote: »
    Id hope there is enough mutual respect there that he would give Frankie the shot he deserves. Dana already screwed Frankie over and he deserves a chance and for it to be against McGregor. Its also a big fight and will bring in the money so im sure Conor can be convinced to go one more if theres a chance to defend it here in Ireland and then move up.

I know Conor has said different things at times about what's next for him, but I'm sure I remember him saying he'd move up to LW(assuming he wins tonight), unless Frankie does something special like finish Mendes early. Well that's his part done! You can't deny Frankie his shot now, and if Conor were to win those next two fights that will be the division "cleared out" as he says, with him beating the three big names.

You have to feel for Mendes a bit, long road back to another title shot now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

shrewdness wrote: »
    I know Conor has said different things at times about what's next for him, but I'm sure I remember him saying he'd move up to LW(assuming he wins tonight), unless Frankie does something special like finish Mendes early. Well that's his part done! You can't deny Frankie his shot now, and if Conor were to win those next two fights that will be the division "cleared out" as he says, with him beating the three big names.

Mendes the proverbial gatekeeper. Just like kenny florian before him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DirkDiggly22

I love Frankie... But Chad didn't desrve that, Fack he fell easy...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Mendes via KO/TKO
    Was it just me or was the stoppage a little early? I know he briefly went limp bit it looked like he had recovered enough to intelligently defend himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

Ended up crashing out before this last night and just caching up now. Shame to see Hall win over Artem, but have to give him credit where it's due, he knew what he had to do to beat Artem and he did it, didn't get himself dragged into a slugfest. Artem did well himself though, some nice defence which I'm sure Hall might have showed him when they were training together :p

Would really like to see himself and Marcin fight next, both lost their first fight and they both have no bother going out there and putting on a standing show, makes total sense imo.

As for the main event, can't really say anything else than what a punch :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Edgar via Submission
    I think Saul would have beaten Artem anyway much more athletic and well rounded. Does Artem take instruction well? He strikes me as having a journey man career. I think Hall is an interesting fighter, brings something new with those heel hooks. If all of SBG's Ire fighters lose it will be v bad for the gym.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

shrewdness wrote: »

I think Conor's said both that he'll stay to fight Frankie and also he'd move up after beating Aldo so who knows.

If he does win and move up he'll vacate the belt so Frankie would then be fighting, I presume Aldo, for the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Edgar via Submission
    Was it just me or was the stoppage a little early? I know he briefly went limp bit it looked like he had recovered enough to intelligently defend himself.

Lights out for long enough, Frankie would have been on him hammering his face within seconds. Mendes was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mendes via KO/TKO
    Is it just me or is this not available on Fight Pass to watch the replay of? Can't find it anywhere.

EDIT - and when I go into the event it shows backstage interviews with Frankie and Ryan Hall which clearly means they won. Cheers, Fight Pass. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,358 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Mendes via KO/TKO
    Paully D wrote: »
    Is it just me or is this not available on Fight Pass to watch the replay of? Can't find it anywhere.

EDIT - and when I go into the event it shows backstage interviews with Frankie and Ryan Hall which clearly means they won. Cheers, Fight Pass. :rolleyes:

Ya same thing for me, no replay :o

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Paully D wrote: »

That always happens to me. I generally watch the events live on fightpass, but if I miss it I just download it. Not ideal but its the only way I can seem to watch it without seeing the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Edgar via Submission
    Going to go ahead and predict that if Conor wins he'll 'duck' Edgar and move up. Weight cut is already hell for him and Frankie would have Conor stylistically.

If Connor wins and moves up it wont be because he is 'ducking' Edgar. He'll follow the money and there is a lot more money to be made with the hype that would be generated by a fight against a top 5 LW like Pettis or Cerrone (if he loses against Dos Anjos). Cerrone would stay at LW if it he got a crack at a McGregor payday.

McGregor vs. Cerrone/Pettis sells a lot more PPV's than McGregor vs. Edgar in my opinion. And if there is potential to sell a huge amount of PPV's, the matchmakers will have no problem putting him straight into the title mix against a big name lightweight.

Of course, he must win tonight for any of that to happen at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Mendes via KO/TKO
    That always happens to me. I generally watch the events live on fightpass, but if I miss it I just download it. Not ideal but its the only way I can seem to watch it without seeing the result.

Pro tip for being unspoiled with fight pass:
    Either Google "ufc fight pass event replays" (doesn't trigger Google news about UFC and gives you below link first result) or bookmark below link:
    http://www.ufc.tv/category/event-replays

However, I noticed with Wonderboy's TUF that the replay wasn't on Fight Pass next morning, TUF cards seem to be unique like this, every other non PPV card is on Fight Pass right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Mendes via Submission
    Wow, didn't see that coming, pleased for Edgar though. In hindsight glad i dozed off during Artem/Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Shame to see Chad fold like that, thought he had the upper hand with those leg kicks. Frankie landed the big punches though I guess and that's what matters. Was looking forward to a good battle though, happy Frankie won but wouldn't have minded a couple more rounds to see where they both really are.

• Advertisement

Mendes via KO/TKO
    A strange end to a very good season. Any other year neither Artem or Hall would have been in the finale obviously. Hall was impressive last night and Artem is nailed on to get a contract now too. Both will be good additions to the roster for different reasons.

Saul cut too as mentioned in the other thread. I'd imagine 1) mainly because he's really pissed the UFC off and 2) slightly because he'll never be let into America now so would be only be available for cards outside of the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,358 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Mendes via KO/TKO
    John_D80 wrote: »
    If Connor wins and moves up it wont be because he is 'ducking' Edgar. He'll follow the money and there is a lot more money to be made with the hype that would be generated by a fight against a top 5 LW like Pettis or Cerrone (if he loses against Dos Anjos). Cerrone would stay at LW if it he got a crack at a McGregor payday.

McGregor vs. Cerrone/Pettis sells a lot more PPV's than McGregor vs. Edgar in my opinion. And if there is potential to sell a huge amount of PPV's, the matchmakers will have no problem putting him straight into the title mix against a big name lightweight.

Of course, he must win tonight for any of that to happen at all!

Pettis? What really? Aldo Edgar generated more buys than Pettis Dos Anjos and that was with another title fight on the card also UFC 156 the "McGregor effect" wasn't bestowed on the featherweight division at that stage.

Edgar just made a huge statement, a fight with Pettis would only be an option if McGregor lost IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mendes via Submission
    That back take for the RNC attempt, tho...

Thing of beauty. Blinky "The Wizard" McHeelhook ladies and gentlemen!

http://gfycat.com/InconsequentialEasyEyelashpitviper

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Mendes chin looks to be seriously bad. Edgar wouldn't be considered a heavy hitter by any stretch, I wonder does he take a break while trying to let it recover? Otherwise I see him getting dropped by either Holloway or Stephens. I knew Edgar was too wiley for him though, Chad's got no dynamism with his striking, typical wrestler with his overhands and uppercuts. His gameplan before wsa working quite well though. He has some nasty leg kicks, I really think he was slowing Edgar down before the knock out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Mendes via Submission
    That back take for the RNC attempt, tho...

Thing of beauty. Blinky "The Wizard" McHeelhook ladies and gentlemen!

http://gfycat.com/InconsequentialEasyEyelashpitviper

Halls Jiu Jitsu is something else...won him the fight! artems escape from the rnc was a thing of beauty though! serious heart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mendes via Submission
    Depp wrote: »
    Halls Jiu Jitsu is something else...won him the fight! artems escape from the rnc was a thing of beauty though! serious heart

It wasn't as escape as much as Hall just let go because he didn't think he could choke him out before his arms gave way. Artem did very well burying his chin into his chest but he was going purple in the face and looked like he wasn't long left for staying awake.

Ryan said in the post fight presser that he couldn't see/hear his corner because he was right beside and facing JK and the SBG lads so he couldn't tell if he was close or not but he knew it was around the jaw not the neck.

One of the things about last night that most pleases me is that this guarantees Hall more UFC fights which I don't know if he'd have got other wise and Artem will get fights regardless because Dana likes him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Mendes via Submission
    It wasn't as escape as much as Hall just let go because he didn't think he could choke him out before his arms gave way. Artem did very well burying his chin into his chest but he was going purple in the face and looked like he wasn't long left for staying awake.

Ryan said in the post fight presser that he couldn't see/hear his corner because he was right beside and facing JK and the SBG lads so he couldn't tell if he was close or not but he knew it was around the jaw not the neck.

One of the things about last night that most pleases me is that this guarantees Hall more UFC fights which I don't know if he'd have got other wise and Artem will get fights regardless because Dana likes him.

I was full sure he was going out! gutted for artem but he'll still get fights and do well and I'm absolutely delighted for hall!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Didn't enjoy Hall vs Artem myself. Halls BJJ is obviously super slick but I thought he could have done more. Can't take to Artem and thought he was rubbish last night.

Shocked Mendes got ko'd that early. Have the fights with Aldo and Conor weakened his chin?

Long road back to a title shot for him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,849 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

ferguson is made of steel, the shots he took and still kept coming forward, just plain unstoppable
    cant remember ever seeing a lad with little or no regard for his safety
    I can't imagine anybody will ever be calling out tony ferguson :D

• Advertisement

Mendes via KO/TKO
    I was gutted Ferguson won after that illegal kick. It clearly impacted Barboza who was stunned from it. Yeah, he was deducted a point but it was well worth it and hardly looks a punishment at all now.

Advertisement