Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Rain & Continuing Flood Risk - Saturday Dec 12th, 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

3 hour from met.ie

371439.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Certainly a nasty 6/7 hours in the south west , heavy rain forecast on the Shannon airport forecast between 0600-1300, but somewhere tomorrow afternoon in the north will be just 2 or 3 degrees and cork will be 12/13 degrees. something to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Very heavy rain here in West Clare at the moment, and a noticeable temp drop from 5.8c to 4.2c in the last hour. Seems to have stopped at 4.2c bit I'm hoping it'll go lower and I may see some wet snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,376 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Carnacalla wrote: »
    How do you obtain the current temps and dew point charts?

One option is meteociel.fr ... you can see part of Ireland on their main charts (dew points are "point de rosee" on the menu). But if you click on temperature then select the UK/Ireland map, you can point and click on all locations shown to get those and other hourly data (it only works for the current hour).

You can also estimate dew point from the met.ie temperature and relative humidity. The lower the humidity, the larger separation of temperature and dew point. You'll find that if you cross-reference for a few days, you will be able to estimate dew points from r.h. without calculations.

--- --- -- --

This part is more general ... the snow potential is interesting, it will probably start as sleet but change over to snow in some higher parts of the north as evaporative cooling drops temps and dews. There won't be much warm air advection north of the track of the wave, so it could go sleet - snow - rain -back to snow in some places. Anything that falls will melt before Sunday morning though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

EURO4

15121318_2_1118.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very heavy rain in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Lashing down in Cork City for the last hour or so. Fingers crossed that theres no flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Heavy rain here in West Limerick at the moment.

Hitting the road in a few minutes and will reoprt back on my trek across the country in several hours.

Looking at the rainfall radar on Netweather there looks to have been similar intensity rainfall along some of my route although I don't expect any travel difficulties due to weather on this trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Moderate rainfall in Galway city; 20.8mm since midnight, 5.2mm in the last hour

• Registered Users Posts: 14,376 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Would not be surprised to see 5-10 cm snow rapidly developing across inland north-central counties, as frontal wave has very tight thermal gradient and no warm advection likely north of its track. Snow generally north of a Galway-Athlone-Dundalk line. Various mixed forms closer to the track may include heavy ice pellets, sleet. Not sure if this can go into title or if we need separate thread, I'm too busy to maintain a separate snow thread now to 0800h.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

In the warmer sector here in this part of Dublin. Was 4.1c around 6...now 5.3c. 7.0mm recorded so far.

0Z EURO4 shows the rain persisting on the south coast leading to 122mm by Sunday morning.

15121309_2_1200.gif

Overnight rain has cleared to drizzle in Galway
    Total recorded since midnight 24.2mm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

water has come in around the driveway and back of the house again after some torrential rain overnight, can only imagine what its like down along the shannon

0Z ARPEGE has 100m quite widely over parts of the south/southwest by Wednesday morning. Not good for places like Bandon etc. if this comes off.

arpegeuk-25-102-0_nnr0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

It seams that the Dublin area is getting the heaviest rain this hour. The rain is tapering off in the rest of the country at the moment.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: I have moved the snow reports to here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057535587 to keep all together and leave this thread for the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Water has now surrounded the house, 4 times since the middle of november we have been like this, i know looking at the people down the midlands, south and west that it could be a lot worse, 20-30mm in a day is grand for us, im just sick and tired now when it falls in a few hours,

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

12.4mm of rain since midnight.

Temperature reached a low of 3.2C before 3am.
    Currently 11.0C, which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

not sure how much rain fell in east galway but it didn't wake me so was not too heavy! minorvspot flooding I'd guess around 15\20mm ! relieved

• Advertisement

Steady light rain in Galway city with 28.4mm recorded since midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

The council is back pumping out my street here in dunmanway. It seems worse than last week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

19mm at my station in Waterford City

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I think I'm at the boundary of the cold front/warm front here in west Clare. The temp since last night has been falling and rising very rapidly. At 10am it was 6.4c at 10:18 its now 5.2c.

At some stage since 2am its reached 11.2c and 3.8c. Amazing stuff.

At 10:50 its now 3.9c!

14.0mm so far in Dublin 16. Was 4.0c at 6am, now 11.0c.

The worst is over for most places, but it looks like rain will stick near the southwest coast all day and night through to tomorrow morning. I'd keep an eye on stream and river levels down there over the next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

26.4 mm of rain recorded in my location in Galway since 11 am last night , thanks to Lumi I repositioned my rain sensor from the roof to the back garden now the readings are more accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

The worst is over for most places, but it looks like rain will stick near the southwest coast all day and night through to tomorrow morning. I'd keep an eye on stream and river levels down there over the next couple of days.

Really? Here in Dunboyne the rain is still falling. And it's fairly heavy. We've a backed up sewerage system and a water feature for a front garden. It's music to my ears if it really is the case that the temporary end is in sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

From the ME rainfall radar we are in a 0.5mm an hour belt (Coastal Waterford) and the river is 2ft below its point of flooding, we can take that all day everyday with no flooding. Nearly flooded last week but the rainfall must have been up around 2-4mm an hour and kept it up nearly all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

This rain belt is going nowhere fast.
    Will still be raining in the south and east well into the aftnoon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement