Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Desmond - Heavy Rainfall 4/5 December 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

Sooooo much rain fell yesterday that fire services pumping out water from 1pm Sat afternoon. 6am this morning, talking of evacuating the whole NH in Sligo. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Two day totals as per Met.ie

370827.PNG

New Moon

Big respect to the emergency services and volunteers. Dropped my daughter into work at 6pm last night and part of the town closed as they had evacuated and were pumping water from a nursing home and surrounding home. They were still there after 11 last night when I collected her.

I've just dropped her to work again this morning and they are still pumping out water! That's over 26 hours that I can account for and they were probably there and who knows where else before that yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

ETOzffa.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    ETOzffa.gif

The funny thing is the place is packed with cars and there is the odd person strolling by in the background...What storm?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Big respect to the emergency services and volunteers. Dropped my daughter into work at 6pm last night and part of the town closed as they had evacuated and were pumping water from a nursing home and surrounding home. They were still there after 11 last night when I collected her.

I've just dropped her to work again this morning and they are still pumping out water! That's over 26 hours that I can account for and they were probably there and who knows where else before that yesterday.

Agree totally with you, not sure where the 26 hours you can account for are though, maybe you mean 16

sword1 wrote: »
    Agree totally with you, not sure where the 26 hours you can account for are though, maybe you mean 16

D'oh lol

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

are things easing out that side
    stayed in galway last night but going home to kiltullagh this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Lumi wrote: »
    The total daily rainfall for Galway city yesterday was 65.6mm - a new station record!
    Event total 93.8mm

I recorded only 14.3mm as a total :( very exciting :pac:

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    are things easing out that side
    stayed in galway last night but going home to kiltullagh this evening

Not sure, I haven't ventured out yet. You can take the motorway most of the way anyway before heading offroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Since my home made station blew over I can't submit any readings. What I can say is that it was non scierntifically the wettest 24hrs in the 11 years I have lived at this location. The Feale was burst by 8am yesterday. Last night was really windy, I was taking a wood delivery and was blown over twice.
    Definately an event for me.

I did take a drive to Limerick city where it was calm & dry from 3-6pm yesterday,

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

37mm of rain from Friday evening to this morning. Aherlow Co Tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭pauldry

My rain gauge has actually 84mm

It had 56.7mm yesterday and 27.3mm Friday

During the event it was reading nearly 100mm

Odd

ETOzffa.gif

Looks like there's a rave going on behind her left shoulder.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

Not sure, I haven't ventured out yet. You can take the motorway most of the way anyway before heading offroad?

2 of the 3 routes to the motorway were impassableat noon today!
    hopefully things are improving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Two day totals as per Met.ie

370827.PNG

And taking the 2-day totals for the North too the average over the whole island was 43.15 mm. This gives a total of 3.73 trillion litres of rainfall, not accounting for the enhanced totals on mountains. That's around 0.1% the volume of the Irish Sea

A couple of pics this morning.
    Strange that there are new spots flooded badly but some of the areas flooded in 2009 are not flooded. There have been some new roads etc. built since then so it probably has had an effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Tipp Man's unique twist on Teresa Mannions News report :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Total for event here near Tralee 60.6mm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

FWVT wrote: »
    And taking the 2-day totals for the North too the average over the whole island was 43.15 mm. This gives a total of 3.73 trillion litres of rainfall, not accounting for the enhanced totals on mountains. That's around 0.1% the volume of the Irish Sea

And I wonder how long it will be before Irish Water are telling people to be economic with their use of water!

Have to admit I am just very relieved that the East Coast didn't get the rain that has fallen all around us, we're very vulnerable to flood risk due to some bad infrastructure issues, and getting it sorted is taking an eternity, we're over 12 months on from the last flood event and the consultant's report hasn't been finished yet, and when that happens, they then have to decide if they can afford to do what's been suggested.

Anyone that thinks even ankle deep flooding is not an issues hasn't had to deal with the long term consequences of flood risk, or the stress that it causes. We've been flooded several times now (2000,2002 and 2014, with 120K damage in 2002), so I go into paranoid mode when weather like we've seen is forecast, and only relax when it's passed through.

I'm not sure that the worst is over, from the suggestions being made at the moment, the next few days are only going to add to the problems, and maybe make it even worse than it already is in some places.

Time to go and try to get my weather station working again, at least that way I get some details of how much rain has actually fallen here.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

my back garden weather station recorded at least 1 little tikes turtle sandbox worth of rain this weekend so far

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeEywY3-p2DlWsQjEvVj5ituLqsewDRvrcUkTeE94ynvdfke2Z

My shed anemometer recorded a corners worth of roof felt blowing loose

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭omicron

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Oh wow, that's genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,866 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Very aptly named pub in Pettigo yesterday

80Vhnc1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,536 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

muffler wrote: »
    Very aptly named pub in Pettigo yesterday

80Vhnc1.jpg
    Shouldn't it be renamed? Say "The Pub IN The River"? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Local roads are fun:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Some video I shot this morning of the flooding in the river Moy at Cloongullane bridge just outside Swinford.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

This bridge in Cumbria was destroyed. 250 years old.

CVjoA4LWUAAd6_w.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

This bridge in Cumbria was destroyed. 250 years old.

CVjoA4LWUAAd6_w.jpg

R.I.P. bridge

Advertisement