Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Desmond - Heavy Rainfall 4/5 December 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Le_Dooner

It seems like anytime there's strong wind and a few millimeters of rain people go into panic mode, I'd hate to see the chaos if a real storm actually hit these shores.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Le_Dooner wrote: »
    It seems like anytime there's strong wind and a few millimeters of rain people go into panic mode, I'd hate to see the chaos if a real storm actually hit these shores.

I'd hate to see the hypocriticalness you would emit if your house flooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Alot more than a few millimeters has fallen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

I haven't seen anyone in panic mode except for yer wan on RTE this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

A few mm.

I'd reckon you are in an area that got little or no rain and 1. You are assuming the rest of the country is the same or 2. You didn't get the weather you wanted so you are disgruntled.

This weather is sever for Ireland. We don't get rain like this too often. Should we only reserve red warnings for tornadoes and hurricanes?

• Advertisement

It appears the forecast rain for 1-2am hasn't come about.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I'd hate to see the hypocriticalness you would emit if your house flooded.

It isn't that I'm poking fun at people who have their houses flooded, not sure where you got that from though I'm assuming you are easily offended, its the state of panic many people get themselves into when there's a minute chance they will get affected. I saw people on twitter in shock about flooding in Bandon I think, posted a picture of a street with about as much water that would go up to your ankle. You'd wonder how we'd cope if we had weather conditions similar to Asia

I was thinking the same too. It would have been showing up around half 11 or midnight. I Hope is doesn't come about, most places could do without it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,343 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

it has in Athlone

I'd even go as far as to say this is the heaviest rain of the entire event

Anyway at least people can now have interesting conversations about the weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

North Kerry Coast and think the sting in the tail has arrived. Rain started again and wind picked up. Had a fair battering here today warnings well deserved. Wondering tonight why is there no live feed up dates around the affected parts on national media? Seeing reports and pictures on Facebook of army deployed to parts of Kerry & Brandon ?

It isn't that I'm poking fun at people who have their houses flooded, not sure where you got that from though I'm assuming you are easily offended, its the state of panic many people get themselves into when there's a minute chance they will get affected. I saw people on twitter in shock about flooding in Bandon I think, posted a picture of a street with about as much water that would go up to your ankle. You'd wonder how we'd cope if we had weather conditions similar to Asia

You're assuming I'm easily offended? Anything for a little dig I suppose. People aren't always going to agree with you, especially on the internet.

Was talking to a few germans today, they said with the wind they have seen in Ireland over the past few days since they arrived they would not be able to cope with at home.

Places in the world deal with the weather events as they come. Asia would be more equip for those terrible storms than we are (Although there are usually devastating effects), purely because they actually get them there. Why would we prepare for a storm that we won't get?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

ankle deep water is grand so is it ? tool where you located?

You're assuming I'm easily offended? Anything for a little dig I suppose. People aren't always going to agree with you, especially on the internet.

Was talking to a few germans today, they said with the wind they have seen in Ireland over the past few days since they arrived they would not be able to cope with at home.

Places in the world deal with the weather events as they come. Asia would be more equip for those terrible storms than we are (Although there are usually devastating effects), purely because they actually get them there. Why would we prepare for a storm that we won't get?

Yeah I hadn't included that originally but threw it in afterwards for good measure... At the end of the day, the storm will pass

Birtles wrote: »
    ankle deep water is grand so is it ? tool where you located?

Ooh I was always told not to tell strangers personal information. Its hardly the end of the world, everyone should have a pair of wellies anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭pauldry

Lashn in sligo

Btw 105mm in claremorris event total to midnight

Drizzle compared to scotlands 350mm

Ooh I was always told not to tell strangers personal information. Its hardly the end of the world, everyone should have a pair of wellies anyway

wellies are very handy replacing carpet and stock with no insurance after the last time. better f*ck off back under the rock you came out from.

Birtles wrote: »
    wellies are very handy replacing carpet and stock with no insurance after the last time. better f*ck off back under the rock you came out from.

It's all to do with preparation.
    Might stick around and wait till something better floats by...

do sure you might as well, we will see you under the bridge like the rest of the trolls

That monsoon mightn't have come about but the winds have def picked up again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,413 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So many homes and businesses destroyed near Christmas by this storm, take care all

Desmond really giving its last few puffs strong here in West Clare. Letterbox slamming and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Thought I was above the flood - pissing down here now (South Sligo Hill) has been raining non stop since yesterday on top of wet ground for weeks. Just walked into the bedroom barefooted (as you do) and wondered how my feet got wet - water coming up through the floorboards (don't panic it's a cottage not two storey) not happy but what can you do - too tired to try and fix it tonight - almost two decades here and never have been affected like this - 700ft asl - I wouldn't like to be in a low lying area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Its really wild in Cork City now and the rain is lashing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Monsoon like rain on west coast has begun

Monsoon like in Sligo

Near 100mm now

Dedicated to Desmond

Yo
    Teresa Mannion in the
    house
    You gotta FIGHT for the RIGHT to Salthill

Rain n strongwins rain n strongwins
    Southwest west n northwest

Get those IDIOTS out of the FLOODS

Gardai gardai gardai

You Gotta FIGHT for the RIGHT to Saaaaalllllllllthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

pauldry wrote: »
    Dedicated to Desmond

Yo
    Teresa Mannion in the
    house
    You gotta FIGHT for the RIGHT to Salthill

Rain n strongwins rain n strongwins
    Southwest west n northwest

Get those IDIOTS out of the FLOODS

Gardai gardai gardai

You Gotta FIGHT for the RIGHT to Saaaaalllllllllthill.

Go to sleep....

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Had to drive Cork to Killarney yesterday around 4.30pm, absolutely terrible driving conditions. Got to Glenflesk only to see the road closed due to flooding, had to turn around and go back through Millstreet and Rathmore, some stretches of road were on the verge of being impassable. Glenflesk is about 10 mins from Killarney, my detour added 1hr 10mins to my journey. Had I checked AA Roadwatch on Twitter I'd have seen their tweet about the road being closed :o

Anyway this popped up on my FB feed, you have to laugh :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

The total daily rainfall for Galway city yesterday was 65.6mm - a new station record!
    Event total 93.8mm

Advertisement