Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Q

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭muffler

lgs 4 wrote: »
    Another Sky Gimmick the SkyQ ,
    How is it a gimmick?

Its a service being provided and Sky dont force anyone to take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

As I've said before the site is dreadful. What exactly does Q give over my 2 box multiroom HD setup for €69, I've no intention of buying a 4k tv btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

muffler wrote: »
    How is it a gimmick?

It's a service being provided and Sky don't force anyone to take it.

Sorry to say with Sky's clever marketing you will take it up ,after all it's there to make money, anything that comes from SKy ain't free .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Sorry to say with Sky's clever marketing you will take it up ,after all it's there to make money, anything that comes from SKy ain't free .

I agree with most of the comments so far

Sky Q gives you the process to watch your TV on the Go around the house on many devices.
    Sky Q's basic TV price is 55euros per month alongside Sky Fibre Broadband for about 50euros per month.
    Sky Q is a rip off. Sky TV costs should be coming down instead of increasing.

I finally cancelled Sky TV last month. I still have Sky Fibre Broadband. But I have Freesat/ Saorview in 2 other rooms along with 2 'Now TV' boxes. Now TV's Entertainment pass costs 9euros per month. As this is a non Sky official thread, I hope I can speak freely.

So I have a special sky bundle of Sky Fibre Broadband/Now TV for 59euros per month. This is the best Sky TV deal at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

first installs are happening from the 29th Feb

Mine is being installed on the 29th, I'll report back Monday evening.

I just hope the Engineer brings the right box!! Ordered the Q Silver, when they installed the 2TB HD box they gave me the ordinary HD box again. They didnt even know the difference between the two! Still wonder if it was done on purpose.

Am I correct to say the Sky Q Silver box has the silver band at the bottom, the regular Sky Q box is black?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

AMGer wrote: »
    Mine is being installed on the 29th, I'll report back Monday evening.

I just hope the Engineer brings the right box!! Ordered the Q Silver, when they installed the 2TB HD box they gave me the ordinary HD box again. They didnt even know the difference between the two! Still wonder if it was done on purpose.

Am I correct to say the Sky Q Silver box has the silver band at the bottom, the regular Sky Q box is black?

I'm sure he'll have spares...

Silver has a silver band around it (you cant miss it)
    Q box doesnt have it

• Registered Users Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Trust me, Id be the last person here to defend Sky but launching a new product (albeit over-priced) and clearly showing the costs isnt a gimmick. Its a product / service being provided by Sky and its up to each and every individual to choose whether they want to pay for it or not.

To be brutally honest I can never see me having this. The Sky+ HD box will do me fine.

muffler wrote: »
    Trust me, Id be the last person here to defend Sky but launching a new product (albeit over-priced) and clearly showing the costs isnt a gimmick. Its a product / service being provided by Sky and its up to each and every individual to choose whether they want to pay for it or not.

To be brutally honest I can never see me having this. The Sky+ HD box will do me fine.

Sky Q's basic TV pack is the Variety Pack in HD

So if you have the Original Bundle and the HD pack, its not worth it for those present Sky TV subscribers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

ftakeith wrote: »
    Sky Q's basic TV pack is the Variety Pack in HD

So if you have the Original Bundle and the HD pack, its not worth it for those present Sky TV subscribers

Variety in HD with the ability to watch the content on a tablet and access all recordings

Variety in HD with the ability to watch the content on a tablet and access all recordings

You can also access Now TV's content on a tablet also

PBS America and Yesterday are free to air tv channels on satellite
    Variety Bundle is very poor

Sky Q's basic bundle should be the original bundle in HD and it should cost 40euros per month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭cannco253

There are no TV broadcasts (by anyone) in 1080p, only 1080i. I wouldn't expect this to change with Sky Q.

Agree but why is it an option on the silver box? Surely they plan to introduce this shortly? Is this also an option on the mini ?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Spinone

Ok ,, Called Sky today to enquire about SkyQ .. i have sports Movies and HD at the moment and was told that none of my current discounts would be carried over so they wanted 113 euros per month for TV only .... thats 33 euros more than i am currently paying

And wait for it .... they asked me if i was a Broadband customer , i said no and they promptly said they actually could not offer me anything as im not a SKY broadband customer

Bewildered to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭mossie

I have discounts and these are carried over. Sky Q is only available to Sky Broadband subscribers at first but that is to change soon

ftakeith wrote: »
    You can also access Now TV's content on a tablet also

PBS America and Yesterday are free to air tv channels on satellite
    Variety Bundle is very poor

Sky Q's basic bundle should be the original bundle in HD and it should cost 40euros per month

I'm sure Sky will take your price point under immediate consideration and ignore all the other costs that go along with bringing content to air

btw an iphone should cost about 50 quid, you dont see apple selling it for that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'm sure Sky will take your price point under immediate consideration and ignore all the other costs that go along with bringing content to air

btw an iphone should cost about 50 quid, you dont see apple selling it for that

Bill of materials alone for an iPhone is well over 200 dollars. And then as you say, they've other costs. They still have a huge margin, I'd guess sover 50% on the base models, which is excellent.

Bill of materials alone for an iPhone is well over 200 dollars. And then as you say, they've other costs. They still have a huge margin, I'd guess sover 50% on the base models, which is excellent.

was sure it was cheaper, my finger in the air estimate was wrong then :pac:

Sky Q installed this morning, so far so good. I like the new layout, think the old favourite channels function might be gone (quite possible I'm just missing where it is). New remote is nice, touchpad is easy enough to use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Sky Q installed this morning, so far so good. I like the new layout, think the old favourite channels function might be gone (quite possible I'm just missing where it is). New remote is nice, touchpad is easy enough to use

Can you still add the "other channels" for ITV etc?
    Can you still programme the new remote to also control TV?

Yeah, the feature to manually add a channel is still there, not sure about the remote question though.

Also seems like the remind function for a show is gone, which is disappointing. Record is the only option.

Also just the one touchpad remote. There is a second 'regular' non touchpad remote for the main box, the mini box you don't get an extra touchpad remote just a second regular remote, however the touchpad remote can be used for the mini box ( hope that makes sense)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

I wonder can you still use the Sky HD box off the new Sky Q lmb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,517 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

natashaob6 wrote: »
    I wonder can you still use the Sky HD box off the new Sky Q lmb?

Not with the new standard wideband LNB supplied but the installer will fit a new hybrid LNB if the existing LNB is also feeding non-Sky Freesat/FTA receivers. The hybrid LNB has 6 outputs, 2 for the SkyQ receiver and 4 for other receivers. No technical details available for the hybrid LNB.

Shame as we were allowed to keep the old 2TB box

Did you ask the installer if he'd install a hybrid LNB, they may not install it unless asked?

The Cush wrote: »
    Did you ask the installer if he'd install a hybrid LNB, they may not install it unless asked?

Wasn't here, the missus was and she didn't even know if we got the broadband hub despite being here when they installed it last week.

And to answer the earlier question, yes the remote is synced with the TV aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

1080p or still i?

peteeeed wrote: »
    1080p or still i?

1080p, although the default setting is i

Someone just posted over in the Sky community forums that their SkyHD box is still working when connected to the hybrid LNB following the installation of their SkyQ box today.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Sky-Q-and-Sky-HD-Works-via-Hybrid-LNB/td-p/2431148

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

1080p, although the default setting is i

Nice one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

The Cush wrote: »
    Not with the new standard wideband LNB supplied but the installer will fit a new hybrid LNB if the existing LNB is also feeding non-Sky Freesat/FTA receivers. The hybrid LNB has 6 outputs, 2 for the SkyQ receiver and 4 for other receivers. No technical details available for the hybrid LNB.
    Thanks for the info. Glad the option of keeping HD boxes as a free to air box is there asi have two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 owensheehan

Was just searching for Super vet on the sky q silver box, when I accidentally typed 't' twice and a configuration menu came up. It works with just 'vett' also. To replicate it I had to type 'vet' with the keys on the remote, then pressed the touch pad, then the menue comes up. Not sure what use it is . it looks like it might be configuration of the UI. Have attached photo of the top level of this menu.

Advertisement