Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Q

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

VM's network (bar netflix :pac:) is a brilliant network, copper-co ax is way better than what Eir have. It's not even much worse than having fibre directly into the home. However it doesn't alter the fact that you're still paying a 'line rental' even on VM. That line, doesn't carry a phone signal by design like the Eir network, but that's no reason to dismiss the Eir network if it meets your bandwidth needs.

My point is this is the basis for some people decisions because they somehow feel conned by having a phone line. UPC had very much undersold their products as evidenced by a huge increase in monthly cost to generate reasonable profits in Ireland.

I was a NTL/UPC/VM customer for over 15 years between here and Scotland, I'll survive on 92Mbits, I'd love 240/360 but it gets to a point where other factors become more important than speed into the box.

I caught sight of a VM business crew installing network near Fitzwilliam street - they're still installing coax - I would have thought they'd be moving toward fibre to the building in areas with over ground network

There needs to be a push from the communications regulator to get operators to get on with rolling out fibre to the building - other than emergency maintenance / repairs, no operator/developer should be still installing coax/copper pair into buildings in this day and age!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,517 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

It won;t be your paper weight either unless you pay the non-return fee.

And the equipment return information once you cancel

Returning Sky Q equipment - http://help.sky.com/articles/returning-sky-q-equipment?intent=more-sky-q-help&product=trial-tv&country=ie

Charges for not returning Sky Q equipment - http://help.sky.com/articles/charges-for-not-returning-sky-q-equipment?intent=more-sky-q-help&product=trial-tv&country=ie
    The following information shows the current charges that apply if you don’t return the relevant equipment:

Non-Return charges (UK/ROI):

•Sky Q box - £100/€130

•Sky Q Silver box - £140/€182

•Sky Q Mini box - £50/€65

•Sky Q Hub - £30/€39

For example, if you fail to return a Sky Q Silver box, two Sky Q Mini boxes and a Sky Q Hub, you'll be charged £270/€351.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

The Cush wrote: »

All the more reason to stay on the regular Sky package.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Max Q

Confused on the pricing and what you get for €55/67 per month..

What channels do you get for the monthly cost? The website is very unclear. Do you still have to add a basic tv bundle (original/variety) to this monthly cost?

What happens to the current €15pm HD charge and Sky Go Extra (€6pm), are these charges all dropped as these services are included in Q?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Max Q wrote: »

What channels do you get for the monthly cost? The website is very unclear. Do you still have to add a basic tv bundle (original/variety) to this monthly cost?

What happens to the current €15pm HD charge and Sky Go Extra (€6pm), are these charges all dropped as these services are included in Q?

The €55/67 includes variety and HD packages. The sky go charges depends on which package you're taking the 55/67.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Sky Q setup on display at the Sky stand in Mahon Point for anyone in the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

AMGer wrote: »
    Sky Q setup on display at the Sky stand in Mahon Point for anyone in the area

Should be in most Sky outlets since yesterday. Billboards started then too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Max Q wrote: »

SkyQ is basically SkyQ Silver with the option for only one mini box (extra room) and no UHD functionality.

Sky Go Extra is included in SkyQ as is the new SkyQ app which allows two devices on your LAN to access the full TV pack. It's limited to tablets at the moment.
    Loughc wrote: »
    The €55/67 includes variety and HD packages. The sky go charges depends on which package you're taking the 55/67.

It's included in both packages price.
    Avada wrote: »
    Should be in most Sky outlets since yesterday. Billboards started then too.

Only 'main' outlets are getting it. Worth ringing to make sure before you head out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

So just to be certain, €67 gets you Sky Q Silver plus one mini Q for multiroom, it includes all channels except Sports and Movies and it includes HD, is that correct ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

galtee boy wrote: »
    So just to be certain, €67 gets you Sky Q Silver plus one mini Q for multiroom, it includes all channels except Sports and Movies and it includes HD, is that correct ?

yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

yes

What does the 55 package give you? Atm I have multi room 2 boxes in total, movies and hd for 69 per month. Will the 55 pack plus movies (28) give me what I have now? The sky Q site is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

jca wrote: »
    What does the 55 package give you? Atm I have multi room 2 boxes in total, movies and hd for 69 per month. Will the 55 pack plus movies (28) give me what I have now? The sky Q site is terrible.

You need the €67 pack the main difference in the two is €55 is NON multi-room(and cant be upgraded without paying for a new box) and €67 is multi-room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

You need the €67 pack the main difference in the two is €55 is NON multi-room(and cant be upgraded without paying for a new box) and €67 is multi-room

Jesus that's scaldy. To have my present pack will cost me €95 pm plus setup costs and because I'm just starting an 18 month BB contract with VF it'll cost me a fortune. Thanks but no thanks sky. I'll stick with what I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Any word when there might be some 4k content available?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

SmallBalls wrote: »
    Any word when there might be some 4k content available?

My bet would be late August for the new premier league season but it might be later than that

My mistake above not being clear but the SkyQ box can support another room, but you have to buy the SkyQ silver bundle at €67 per month.

If you're going for an extra room go for silver from the get go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

What happens if you want multiroom in a house and are not a Sky BB customer as well? If your wifi is poor between say the Sky Q Silver box and the mini, can you expect buffering on the Sky Mini box?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

peteeeed wrote: »
    My bet would be late August for the new premier league season but it might be later than that

Yeah, probably right there. Don't think I'll bother until the 4k stuff goes live.

What happens if you want multiroom in a house and are not a Sky BB customer as well? If your wifi is poor between say the Sky Q Silver box and the mini, can you expect buffering on the Sky Mini box?

No one really knows as this is specifically why they've waited on 3rd party BB. Tbh I can't see the rolling it out unless it's a good experience. If it looks technically unfeasible on certain sites they'll probably not install.

The vast majority will be fine with a booster or two I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

No one really knows as this is specifically why they've waited on 3rd party BB. Tbh I can't see the rolling it out unless it's a good experience. If it looks technically unfeasible on certain sites they'll probably not install.

The vast majority will be fine with a booster or two I expect.

It'll be interesting to see how the streaming happens in reality between the Sky Q/Silver box and the minis especially now since it will be streaming 1080p to the minis. I wonder will there be much of a delay between "live" tv and what is watched on the minis? Really wished you could have a 2nd Sky Silver Box so you could have the option of viewing UHD in more than 1 room if you wanted? Missed opportunity and not future proofing IMHO.

• Advertisement

It'll be interesting to see how the streaming happens in reality between the Sky Q/Silver box and the minis especially now since it will be streaming 1080p to the minis. I wonder will there be much of a delay between "live" tv and what is watched on the minis? Really wished you could have a 2nd Sky Silver Box so you could have the option of viewing UHD in more than 1 room if you wanted? Missed opportunity and not future proofing IMHO.

Sky has already released to Techradar that the chips in the silvers can be upgraded to allow HDMI 2.0 via firmware. I suspect the same is not true of the mini's as the limitation is going to be the wifi LAN in the home for the foreseeable future, you just cant be moving that much data about over wifi.

I'm absolutely sure a UHD mini box will make an appearance as will 50 or 60FPS sports content on the main box. The issue with UHD is multifold for Sky. They don't want a repeat of the 3D flop for starters so won't be releasing UHD content for a while. About the only application for it is huge TVs and sports so it's going to be a very small number of households that miss out on anything but the gimmick factor.

Rather than a missed opportunity I think it's rather well thought out IMHO.

One last question, to avail of either the €55 or €67 options, must you also take Sky BB or otherwise add movies or sports ? and are the boxes dearer if you don't have Sky BB ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Sky q is only for sky bb customers at the moment. It will open up to other bb providers in the future.

Sky q is only for sky bb customers at the moment. It will open up to other bb providers in the future.

But presumably if you agree to switch to Sky BB, they will allow you to take Sky Q also ?

galtee boy wrote: »
    But presumably if you agree to switch to Sky BB, they will allow you to take Sky Q also ?

Yep. At the moment you can only switch with broadband.

Assuming no BB or Sports or Movies (any one of the three will do) you don't get a discount on the 'Smart Features Fee' so SkyQ silver is €299 (new) €349 (existing) set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Has anyone had this installed yet & if so what are your first impressions ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

bodonnell wrote: »
    Has anyone had this installed yet & if so what are your first impressions ?

first installs are happening from the 29th Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭cannco253

Saw the silver box set up in the Galway shopping centre on Saturday. Had a play with the new remote , very sensitive and will take a bit of time to get used to. The sales rep said the sky engineers set up the demo , the strange thing was it was on 1080i and not 1080p. The sales guy didn't know anything about 1080p at all. Also didn't know if you could stream YouTube 4K from the new native app and I couldn't test it as the wifi was poor. looks great but might not be the big improvement people are expecting at least until the 4K content gets broadcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

cannco253 wrote: »
    Saw the silver box set up in the Galway shopping centre on Saturday. Had a play with the new remote , very sensitive and will take a bit of time to get used to. The sales rep said the sky engineers set up the demo , the strange thing was it was on 1080i and not 1080p. The sales guy didn't know anything about 1080p at all. Also didn't know if you could stream YouTube 4K from the new native app and I couldn't test it as the wifi was poor. looks great but might not be the big improvement people are expecting at least until the 4K content gets broadcast.

There are no TV broadcasts (by anyone) in 1080p, only 1080i. I wouldn't expect this to change with Sky Q.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Another Sky Gimmick the SkyQ , For me Freesat and Saorview all free

Advertisement