Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015-16 Champions Cup thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

First time since 97/98 an Irish team ain't in the knockouts if I'm right. The year Bath won it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Wasps
    (1) Saracens England v England Northampton Saints (8)

(4) Wasps England v England Exeter Chiefs (5)

(2) Leicester Tigers England v France Stade Français (7)

(3) Racing 92 France v France Toulon (6)
    (a) For Semi-final 1

If the clubs ranked 1 and 4 win their QFs, the club ranked 1 will have home country

If the clubs ranked 1 and 5 win their QFs, the club ranked 5 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 8 and 4 win their QFs, the club ranked 8 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 8 and 5 win their QFs, the club ranked 5 will have home country advantage

(b) For Semi-final 2

If the clubs ranked 3 and 2 win their QFs, the club ranked 2 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 3 and 7 win their QFs, the club ranked 7 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 6 and 2 win their QFs, the club ranked 6 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 6 and 7 win their QFs, the club ranked 6 will have home country advantage

If Toulon win their QF they get home advantage for the Semi :pac:

So would Exeter

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ospreys
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    (1) Saracens England v England Northampton Saints (8)

(4) Wasps England v England Exeter Chiefs (5)

(2) Leicester Tigers England v France Stade Français (7)

(3) Racing 92 France v France Toulon (6)

If Toulon win their QF they get home advantage for the Semi :pac:

So would Exeter

I presume it doesn't make a difference who wins between Exeter, Wasps, Sarries or Northampton, the game will be in Twickers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Ospreys
    errlloyd wrote: »
    The most hilarious result of all this is that despite having the final in the South of France, there is a very strong chance it will be two English teams. The only way to avoid an all English final would be a French team winning away from home.

One of Saracens, Northampton, Exeter or Wasps has to be in the final.

The other side is less clear, but a French team will have to win away from home. This is because Leicester are against Stade at home, so unless Stade win that game away Leicester will go through the semis.

If Leicester get to the semis they will have to play the winner of Racing v Toulon.

Racing will play Leicester in England
    Toulon would play Leicester in France.

So unless Stade win in Leicester, Toulon win in Paris or Racing win in England, the final will be all English.

Very well thought out. Still fancy Racing to make the final. Am predicting Saracens vs Racing decider.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anyone, ANYONE but Saracens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Or Toulon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

awec wrote: »
    Anyone, ANYONE but Saracens.

or Toulon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

The first year ever that there is no representation from Pro 12/Celtic League/Sco-Ita-Ire-Wal teams in the knock out stages.

First year ever that an entire league isn't represented in the knock out stages (other than by boycott or similar).

Better get used to it :(

Year|Top 14|Premiership|Pro 12
    2016|3|5|0
    2015|3|4|1
    2014|3|2|3
    2013|3|3|2
    2012|2|1|5
    2011|4|2|2
    2010|4|1|3
    2009|1|3|4
    2008|2|3|3
    2007|2|3|3
    2006|3|3|2
    2005|3|3|2
    2004|3|2|3
    2003|3|2|3
    2002|3|2|3
    2001|3|2|3
    2000|3|2|3
    1999|4|0*|4
    1998|3|4|1
    1997|3|3|2
    1996**|1|0|3

* English clubs and Cardiff and Swansea boycotted the competition in 1998/99
    ** The RFU and SRU did not permit their clubs to enter. Pool winners went straight to semi-final.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think mine was the Saracens vote, or else I took the safe Toulon option. I don't think 5 of Clermont's staunchest fans thought they'd win but we have a lot of believers here.

I actually want Wasps to win though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Ospreys
    I think mine was the Saracens vote, or else I took the safe Toulon option. I don't think 5 of Clermont's staunchest fans thought they'd win but we have a lot of believers here.

I voted for Clermont because they had the easiest group and would definitely get a home quarter final, and Clermont never lose at home...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Yeah I would like to see Wasps win it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I knew our record was poor but Ive just seen that of Scarlets. The team leading the Pro12 loses 6/6 in Europe. Our league is in very big trouble now and not just because of that one statistic. While Ospreys were within a whisker, the reality is in Leinster or Ulster's pool they would have finished last.

Tough days ahead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Wasps
    Lanelli have never been up to much in Europe so them not doing well doesn't phase me.

The only Pro12 sides to be up to much in Europe are the Irish sides and I think next year both Leinster and Ulster will better.

Wasps
    Lanelli have never been up to much in Europe so them not doing well doesn't phase me.

The only Pro12 sides to be up to much in Europe are the Irish sides and I think next year both Leinster and Ulster will better.

Wasps
    I don't know why people are going through all the permutations of who might win considering the rest of the tournament has been cancelled.

Looking forward to seeing you all in next seasons Champions Cup Thread. Bye!

Wasps
    I don't know why people are going through all the permutations of who might win considering the rest of the tournament has been cancelled.

Looking forward to seeing you all in next seasons Champions Cup Thread. Bye!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Yes ..... Now that this Euro nonsense is over let's get on with the main course.

Nice looking starters ......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I knew our record was poor but Ive just seen that of Scarlets. The team leading the Pro12 loses 6/6 in Europe. Our league is in very big trouble now and not just because of that one statistic. While Ospreys were within a whisker, the reality is in Leinster or Ulster's pool they would have finished last.

Tough days ahead.
    I think they're already here. I've no idea how much money has been lost to the provinces over the last two years in Europe, but the money available in the Premiership and Top 14 is easy to see.

This is the first season that we've ever lost three front line players to foreign clubs. POC and Madigan could be looked at as outliers but Marty Moore and (if true) Keith Earls and possibly Zebo as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

European Rugby Champions Cup quarter-finals
    (All kick-offs local time)

Saturday 9 April
    QF2: Wasps v Exeter Chiefs, Ricoh Arena (15.15) BT Sport / beIN Sports
    QF1: Saracens v Northampton Saints, Allianz Park (17.45) Sky Sports / beIN Sports

Sunday 10 April
    QF4: Leicester Tigers v Stade Francais Paris, Welford Road (13.45) BT Sport / beIN Sports
    QF3: Racing 92 v RC Toulon, Stade Yves-du-Manoir (17.15) FR 2 / Sky Sports / beIN Sports

European Rugby Challenge Cup quarter-finals
    (All kick-offs local time)

Friday 8 April
    QF3: Sale Sharks v Montpellier, AJ Bell Stadium (19.45) Sky Sports / beIN Sports

Saturday 9 April
    QF4: Gloucester Rugby v Newport Gwent Dragons, Kingsholm (12.45) Sky Sports
    QF1: Harlequins v London Irish, Twickenham Stoop (20.05) BT Sport
    QF2: Grenoble v Connacht Rugby, Stade des Alpes (21.05) FR 4 / BT Sport / beIN Sports

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Congrats to RichieRich89, the only soul-seller brave enough to pick Saracens as European champions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Congrats to RichieRich89, the only soul-seller brave enough to pick Saracens as European champions!

Yeah but hopefully he has been banned!

Anyway I guess there is only about a month to go until the draw for 2016/17. I'm hoping and expecting that both Ulster and Leinster will much more competitive next season.

Maybe he's right about Te'o too?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

bilston wrote: »
    Yeah but hopefully he has been banned!

Anyway I guess there is only about a month to go until the draw for 2016/17. I'm hoping and expecting that both Ulster and Leinster will much more competitive next season.

Like to be later due to the extremely late finish of the Top 14 this year - they don't finish till the end of June!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,802 ✭✭✭✭phog

The draws for the composition of the pools for the 2016/17 European Rugby Champions Cup and Challenge Cup will take place in Neuchâtel, Switzerland on Wednesday, 29 June.

Maybe time for a new thread .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Scarlets
    So who gets the 20th place in the Champions Cup, seeing as Montpellier, Challenge Cup winners, have already qualified by right? Does the Top 14 7th place, Bordeaux, get in now?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

vienne86 wrote: »
    So who gets the 20th place in the Champions Cup, seeing as Montpellier, Challenge Cup winners, have already qualified by right? Does the Top 14 7th place, Bordeaux, get in now?

Yes, next highest finisher in the league, so Bordeaux were guarranteed their place a little while back

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Scarlets
    Yes, next highest finisher in the league, so Bordeaux were guarranteed their place a little while back

Stupid of me not to cop that before - I thought it would take a miracle tonight to get them in. Delighted they are in, and I long for them to be drawn in the same pool as Leinster!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,802 ✭✭✭✭phog

Almost impossible for Irish to compete in Europe - Gordon D'Arcy's worrying assessment ahead of new season

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

phog wrote: »
    Almost impossible for Irish to compete in Europe - Gordon D'Arcy's worrying assessment ahead of new season

He's not far wrong. Look at the pools this year. Munster won't make it out of their pool. Connacht probably won't either given Wasps form at the moment and Toulouse won't be beaten at home again in all likelihood. Leinster probably have the best shot, but Montpellier and Northampton are going to be very tough. They'll need to top their pool and that's a big ask. Finally Ulster will find it hard to top theirs ahead of Clermont and will struggle to make up the points required to be one of the best runners up against Exeter and Bordeaux.

The way I see it at the moment is something like this:

Pool Winners:
    Racing
    Wasps
    Saracens
    Leinster
    Clermont

Best Runners Up:
    Toulouse
    Toulon
    Montpellier

And even that is somewhat hopeful. Leinster may well not get out of their pool at all either. Although I do think one of ourselves or Ulster will. Pool 3 is clearly the one where 2 sides will emerge. Sale and Scarlets aren't going to be able to put it up to Toulon and Saracens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

When are the Pro12 TV contracts up for renewal? TG4 provide a pittance (less than €1m IIRC). Irish rugby will need Eir Sport to up the ante regarding the TV money, it's a source of finance that must increase.

Advertisement