Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015-16 Champions Cup thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Third try and 32 minutes to get the 4th. This was a game that I thought could fall Ulster's way. If they get the BP, it will mean either a Stade win tomorrow eliminates them before the final pool is even played.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Wasps
    Buer wrote: »
    Third try and 32 minutes to get the 4th. This was a game that I thought could fall Ulster's way. If they get the BP, it will mean either a Stade win or Ospreys win tomorrow eliminates them.

On the bright side because of the margin of today's win, Stade have to win by 7 to overtake Ulster.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Third try and 32 minutes to get the 4th. This was a game that I thought could fall Ulster's way. If they get the BP, it will mean either a Stade win or Ospreys win tomorrow eliminates them.

A Stade win tomorrow doesn't actually eliminate us any more due to the points difference.

They need to obviously not get a bonus point, because 5 points puts them through.

If they win by 6 points or less, with no BP, Ulster are above them.

If they win by 7 points with no BP and score 1 try - it'll come down to disciplinary record as we'd be equal on points, points diff and tries.

If they win by 7 points with no BP and more than 1 try - Ulster are out.

If they win by more than 7 points - Ulster are out.

There's also the matter of Ospreys/Clermont who could finish you too.

Northampton held up over the line. Matter of time here.

The annoying thing is if we could have got that one last try at the death today it would have made a big difference. A 14 point win is a much bigger deal than 7 points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

leicester going to stade with nothing to play for tmrw by the looks of it they will be 2nd seed confirmed before a ball is kicked

Saints got a fourth try .......

leicester going to stade with nothing to play for tmrw by the looks of it they will be 2nd seed confirmed before a ball is kicked

Yea I'm not hopeful, I think we're gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Ospreys
    We could be relying on Ospreys to win in Exeter to have any Pro12 side in the quarters. Grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ospreys
    aimee1 wrote: »

Pass was a mile forward too. :(

• Advertisement

Racing v Toulon is confirmed as a QF

That's a big deal. Racing are probably the side more than any other that will dispense with Toulon. They've no fear of them and have beaten them in the T14 at home in both the last two seasons. They've only played them in Toulon so far this season when Racing also won.

All 4 top seeds are now confirmed (the order can only change if Leicester get an unlikely BP win in Paris tomorrow): Saracens, Leicester, Racing, Wasps.

Ospreys are currently in 5th. Toulon are in 6th and that cannot change. Northampton are in 7th. Ulster are in 8th.

Both Northampton and Ulster could fall out of qualification if the Ospreys, Clermont (with BP) and Stade (with BP) all win tomorrow.

If Clermont and Ospreys finish on the same points, which seems quite likely to me, Ospreys finish ahead by virtue of collecting 6 match points to Clermont's 5 in their head to head.

If they both win, then Stade will need a BP win to qualify which I don't think they'll get.

With this in mind, I predict the following quarter finals:

Saracens vs Northampton
    Leicester vs Clermont
    Racing vs Toulon
    Wasps vs Ospreys

I would predict all home wins if that came to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Would expect Racing to win, but still, tasty QF and one to look forward to

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Scarlets
    That's a big deal. Racing are probably the side more than any other that will dispense with Toulon. They've no fear of them and have beaten them in the T14 at home in both the last two seasons. They've only played them in Toulon so far this season when Racing also won.

All 4 top seeds are now confirmed (the order can only change if Leicester get an unlikely BP win in Paris tomorrow): Saracens, Leicester, Racing, Wasps.

Ospreys are currently in 5th. Toulon are in 6th and that cannot change. Northampton are in 7th. Ulster are in 8th.

Both Northampton and Ulster could fall out of qualification if the Ospreys, Clermont (with BP) and Stade (with BP) all win tomorrow.

If Clermont and Ospreys finish on the same points, which seems quite likely to me, Ospreys finish ahead by virtue of collecting 6 match points to Clermont's 5 in their head to head.

If they both win, then Stade will need a BP win to qualify which I don't think they'll get.

With this in mind, I predict the following quarter finals:

Saracens vs Northampton
    Leicester vs Clermont
    Racing vs Toulon
    Wasps vs Ospreys

I would predict all home wins if that came to pass.
    Which would give us three English and one French team in the semis. I still think Racing might do it this year.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Which would give us three English and one French team in the semis. I still think Racing might do it this year.

I reckon it will come down to who gets the home draw for the semi finals. Can't see past Racing or Saracens currently which is fair enough as they've been by far the best teams and played some great rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

I reckon it will come down to who gets the home draw for the semi finals. Can't see past Racing or Saracens currently which is fair enough as they've been by far the best teams and played some great rugby.

Is the draw not gone?
    I thought it would be
    Saracens at home to Wasps
    Leicester at home to Racing
    if the four home teams win.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

As pointed out above, the draw no longer exists

http://www.epcrugby.com/europeanrugbychampionscup/rules.php
    NB The new format for the semi-final matches in the Champions Cup recognises performances by clubs during the pool stages as well as the achievement of a winning a quarter-final match away from home.

The winner of QF1 will play the winner of QF2 in one semi-final, and the winner of QF3 will play the winner of QF4 in the other semi-final as follows:

Semi-final 1: winner QF1 v winner QF2
    Semi-final 2: winner QF3 v winner QF4

The semi-final matches will be played at venues designated by EPCR, but the following clubs will have home country advantage in their respective semi-final matches:

(a) For Semi-final 1

If the clubs ranked 1 and 4 win their QFs, the club ranked 1 will have home country

If the clubs ranked 1 and 5 win their QFs, the club ranked 5 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 8 and 4 win their QFs, the club ranked 8 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 8 and 5 win their QFs, the club ranked 5 will have home country advantage

(b) For Semi-final 2

If the clubs ranked 3 and 2 win their QFs, the club ranked 2 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 3 and 7 win their QFs, the club ranked 7 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 6 and 2 win their QFs, the club ranked 6 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 6 and 7 win their QFs, the club ranked 6 will have home country advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ospreys
    Tradition requires one away team to win. I think it almost always happens. Clermont will beat Leicster away.

http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/adrumm/the-shocking-level-of-debt-held-by-saracens-revealed/

saracens in debt, 45 million sterling. thats, well staggering

http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/adrumm/the-shocking-level-of-debt-held-by-saracens-revealed/

saracens in debt, 45 million sterling. thats, well staggering

• Advertisement

Wasps
    Bright start for Leicester. 7-0 up. They blew 2 chances on Stade's line and now score from 60 metres out.

Wasps
    So much for Leicester, Stade score 3 tries and it's 19-7. Should be curtains for Ulster.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Bright start for Leicester. 7-0 up. They blew 2 chances on Stade's line and now score from 60 metres out.

stade have 3 tries now. 19-7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Awful kick off from Keatley, didn't make 5 metres never mind 10. Could have been costly.

Looks like Ulster's race is run. If Stade get another try, it doesn't matter if they win by less than 7 but even as it stands, Ulster are out.

Not to be churlish but no Irish province deserves to proceed to the knock outs. Ulster are in it right up until then end but their hopes were all supported by one great week where they won back to back games against Toulouse. The rest of their campaign was nothing too hot (as impressive as the score line was yesterday, it's hard use it as evidence of a team playing well enough to be in the top 8 in Europe).

They still may go through, in fairness, but things not looking great right now.

Wasps
    4th try for Stade, game over.

stade have tbp, leicester down a man, youngs yc. stade cantering here

BP try for Stade against 14 men after Tom Youngs is carded for a little bit of silliness.

That's that then. Can go to bed for afternoon now!

BP try for Stade against 14 men after Tom Youngs is carded for a little bit of silliness.

That's that then. Can go to bed for afternoon now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

At least we have Connacht in the Challenge Cup to cheer on

Advertisement