Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭x567

I have to do a similar trip (different but nearby island) quite frequently. I can either travel via JFK with an onward daily B6 connection, MIA with an onward daily AA connection or via LGW with BA 3x/wk. One of the issues is the connection timings, involving a night in a hotel in either JFK (the TWA hotel accessed directly off the terminal that EI arrive into and B6 depart from is convenient) both ways, MIA both ways, or London on the outbound as my outbound connection from Ireland doesn't get to LGW on time for the BA-Caribbean departure. You might be able to make the connection without an overnight if you're departing from DUB.

I've never managed to get a through-ticket for these bookings with EI, so have usually made separate bookings for EI legs and the B6 or AA legs, with relatively little risk because of the overnight stay between each flight.

You can usually book an Ireland-Caribbean ticket direct on BA but they haven't been particularly affordable of late. If you have the BA EC account you can get Avios discounts and we've also had MIA-Caribbean flights on a stand-alone booking with AA fully paid for with Avios (via BA EC) in the past. All of this needs a bit of effort; but I prefer to be in control of separate direct bookings rather than use a travel agent, unless there are tight connections. My last experience with an on-line agent was appalling and I vowed never again, but there may be better agents out there still.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

I am just a few Tier credits away from Silver membership. My anniversary date is coming up soon. As it happens, I’ll be taking a flight back to Ireland 5 days before the anniversary date. Surely there is no way this flight will be credited within just 5 days? So I’m assuming my credit balance will revert to zero and I won’t make silver. Am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Sometimes it will credit that quick but more importantly you will be credited for the date the flight was flown so you’re covered

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Hi, does anyone know if a Silver member can access fast track security at non Irish airports?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Tea2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 1sttimecaller

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here could help or make a suggestion for me, as I am getting very frustrated with the AL/Aerclub customer service team.

Last month I had -roughly- 570 tier credits (silver status on the verge of Platinum). I then booked and travelled on a return trip to Heathrow an advantage and a plus fare (65 tier credits). I was then expecting to be upgraded to Platinum, I checked my app and I have 65 tier credits to my surprise.. My anniversary date has been Jan 2024 for the last 18 months so I don't think it is due to that.. so I have lost all of my tier credits built up...

I logged a case with the aer club assist team over 4 weeks ago and I am yet to hear anything back. I have had numerous calls to the Aer club support number- 01-7617842- but have been told that we have escalated your case and that we can't help as we don't have access and even we will get a supervisor to call you back -which I am still waiting on.

Has anyone had a similar experience or able to provide some guidance as to where to go with this?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Due to covid they extended out membership until 2024 but the tier credits still reset every year on your standard anniversary as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

As for turnaround time, recent issues I've had with them have taken over 2 months to resolve, so I wouldn't worry that they're ignoring you after 4 weeks, they're just incredibly slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 1sttimecaller

Thanks for your replies, if only that information was as clear on the Aerclub page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭g0g

I'm close (64 points) to silver for the first time ever on AerClub and trying to figure out what upcoming flights/plans I have would qualify.

Fully paid fair I know qualifies for credits as normal.

If you fully buy a flight with Avios do you get Tier credits as normal?

What about the option where you convert Avios to partially pay for a fare? e.g. I think a Plus return to Europe is 50 tier credits. If you buy a plus return and pay for a portion with Avios does it still qualify as a 50-point flight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 PTFTO

I'm 1 point...... yes, 1 point off Platinum. Any tricks or tips on how I can get that elusive 1 point without spending too much....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Josieg

@Rowley Birkin QC Do you know how if these code share flight from LCY earn tier and avios points? I know they are operated by BA but bought via Aer Lingus?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Unless you’re coming from Donegal you can’t return the same day cause of timing… pain 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Don't think it's possible but open to correction. I've switched to Heathrow for London travel. Not the end of the world, nicer food options and handy to get to, just a bit more time on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Don't know if this is still true, but in the Amapola days you could phone Donegal Airport before departure and they'd sort it for you.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

and even if you couldn’t do that, you could always do a day trip up there on the bus, and fly back…..

For a bit of an adventure…..

or failing that, a quick return trip to LHR when it’s most cheapest, and with the number of flights per day to LHR, you wouldn’t be waiting long to return…. And being AerClub they’d most likely bump you to the next available flight if your not already booked on it!

a few years back I needed a few more points to hit Concierge, and I usually always booked PLUS fares which were 25 Tier Credits each way, but on my last trip before hitting Concierge, I booked the return flight in Advantage to get the 50 Tier Credits, and get me over the line to Concierge as I was getting close to my anniversary date, and wanted to be sure….

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

That 1 is there to annoy you

Find the cheapest flight you can find and go, even if that means 1 way to Kerry and train back

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ryanair on that route now. Donegal would be the most consistently cheap but awkward if not impossible to do in a day. Airport have always facilitated spotters turning back though, as mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Manchester a good option for that, some cheap one way fares atm mid week (€25). Fly back Ryanair for about €15 then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭VG31

I actually did that for Amapola.

I also did a back to back in Donegal before when it was Stobart Air. I didn't call them in advance that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Anyone having an issue with the Aer Lingus Android app login?

Every time I open it, it goes to a web browser, I have to login with my (already saved) details and then it reverts back to the app. It's new behaviour from the app and quite annoying. Any fixes appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Lads that bloody Avios site would drive any man to drink. its dog slow and has been for the past 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Whats the deal like? is it to put people off spending their points?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭g0g

With Aerclub Silver I see you get lounge access for a year.

1. I assume this is only if you fly Aer Lingus?

2. I assume you have access even if not paying for business class?

3. Is that free access only at Aer Lingus owned lounges or applies anywhere you fly on Aer Lingus network?

e.g. you are silver and take a Saver return flight to Berlin. Do you have access in Berlin coming back?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭cson

They don't want to invest money in something that doesn't make them any money.

But yeah the Avios integration is pretty shambolic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Advertisement