Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

1 - yes, only if you fly Are Lingus

2 - class doesn't matter.

3 - you get access wherever Are Lingus have partner lounges. I'm writing this from the Gatwick lounge :) (silver can't use the lounge at SFO)

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

1. Yes.
    2. Yes - no business on intra-Europe flights for example.
    3. Only at EI lounges OR lounges with agreement with EI - see website for list, none in LIS for example. https://www.aerlingus.com/prepare/airport-information/airport-lounges/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There is a lounge in Berlin, Lounge Templehof (do not go through passport control, follow the signs) the lounge has its own mini passport control desk which you can use to exit to the C gates, the gate EI use is typically very nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭cson

Does Silver get you into 51st & Green?

Nope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

I have booked avios reward flights for myself and my partner next month, the travel documents say to check in at the airport check in desks, we're used to checking in online and just sailing straight to security. Can we use the check in/bag drop machines or to we have to queue up for the desk with a person behind it? Cork airport.

Also we weren't able to select seats, we don't mind paying for seat selection and don't need to sit together but supposing the flight is sold out, will we still have seats or be put on standby?

If you don't have to check any bags, you can check in online no problem. There should be a reference starting with 2 on the Avios confirmation, thats what you need to check in

If you want to select a seat, call EI and if there are any seats left in the free area of the aircraft you can pick at no cost. EI policy is to seat everyone the same ticket together and the online check in system will do its best to make that happen.

If not check in online as soon as it is possible to do so and pick from whats available

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you don't make your loyalty scheme make money, you're not doing it right. Bank of Ireland, Kildare Village etc are buying the Avios off them for cash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

It seems Aer Lingus are now back in T1 in CDG. Does anyone know whether they have restored lounge access? Or will this be another coat cutter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭cson

My comment is geared towards the redemption end of things, making it easy/intuitive to book flights doesn't have a great ROI for them on the capital investment in the software.

The US Airlines monetize their programs to the point where they're almost marketing companies that happen to fly planes. AA in particular have done a pretty amazing job revamping their program to plug consumers into every facet of the AAdvantage ecosystem in the quest for status.

While they're not lightyears behind, EI (and European airlines generally, with the exception of BA) are a few years behind where US airlines are right now, and they really should be leaning more into the AerClub program in my mind - and that means capital investment in the software and the partners.

But it seems to me the org under Lynne is very much in the corner of penny wise, pound foolish.

They still have the Salon icare lounge on the website - I will update in 2.5 weeks whether they let me in or not

EDIT - seems to be gone now - but is still on my Aerspace ticket. Will revert back when I try and get in 😂

If you get in I'll be impressed as it was closed in 2020 as part of the CDG T1 development.

And I got the same stupid aer space voucher, complaint in with EI be interesting to see the response

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Avios reward flights don't come with Tier Points right?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭RMDrive

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭x567

Agree strongly with much of what you say. Aer Club is a good bit behind BA's EC in many ways and nowhere near AA in terms of loyalty optimisation.

To offer some balance though, whilst Aer Club is certainly clunky, sometimes frustrating and under-developed, the staff on the dedicated Concierge line are almost alway very helpful, friendly and efficient; and a few of the high-tier benefits are pretty impressive by comparison to others - the upgrades and companion-fare entitlements actually beat BA, so it's not all bad (albeit that there's no guarantee of securing these and the wait for confirmation can be frustrating).

I've said before that EI are missing a trick by not aligning with BA/AA and others via Oneworld membership; or at least to align more fully with other IAG/Atlantic JV carriers' FF/CIP programs. To the uninitiated it would seem like a very logical and presumably, given their sister-company status, a relatively easy thing to do for EI to spring off the excellent BA EC platform. EI's offer feels far too 'stand-alone' and a bit of an afterthought at the moment, rather than something that's core to its business. An area well worthy of investment in my view. Loyalty usually pays...

Yeah, the thing that always turns me away from EI over the years I’ve been travelling for work is using an alliance that has more variety of options. My current regular work trip is DUB-BOS so using BA via LHR is just stupid compared to direct and I cant quite be bothered to start from no status with Delta. But I’m stuffed when I go to India or the US outside of EIs routes. EI in Oneworld would be great. I currently use BA for flights EI cant do so I can at least move the Avios around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

The fact that you lose all your accumulated tier points on a random day each year puts me off.

Emirates' scheme is way better in that regard. Tier points expire thirteen months after they're earned.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Not sure if the right thread but my flight is delayed about 90 mins. Understandable given the weather and associated delays earlier today.

App has not sent me any notification, relying on airport screens. Thankfully I have lounge access but seems like an easy thing to do. Should also pop up with my gate number when confirmed but doesn't. All very easy if there was a will.

I had the same recently - only the airport screens showed the delay and only for I was paying attention I would have missed the flight because about 2/3 of the way through the “delay” it changed to “go to gate” 🙄

Ryanair are notorious for it though - they don’t admit to the delay until you land if at all - as a result, even if you’re delayed by a couple of hours you can’t even get lounge access through VHI Multitrip because there’s no trigger to provide the access

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I've always assumed that Go To Gate is triggered by the time before departure. At the very least, I've had a Go To Gate on a Ryanair flight subsequently turn into a two hour delay – on a 45 minute flight.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

I would be inclined to agree but on this occasion it was the 300 gates and by the time I walked up there from the lounge they had started boarding…

if you had noticed the delay and then sat down for the length of it you probably would have missed the flight - I’ve also been on several EI flights that have pushed back a few minutes early resulting in colleagues missing them because they were too busy guesting other colleagues into the lounge

Anyone know how to get an invoice for a flight change fee from Aer Lingus?

I've had to juggle around a few flights recently and they don't seem to auto issue an invoice when you pay a fee to switch flights. 🙄

When I tap on my last reservation from late Feb I can tap “fare summary / receipt” and it includes the fare inc the addition paid and there’s a line for change fee - so I assume that is all inclusive, if that helps?

They are an absolute pain for expensing any change if you dont take a screenshot of what you pay at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I went through last week. T1 is very nice (massive improvement) but no lounge for Aer Club status. No idea on Aer Space. Check-in area is same as before - you go straight through to security now (they have combined some of the satellites).

Anyone else had double credits (avios and tier points) recently and had the avios removed today?

• Advertisement

Anyone know if bookings through https://www.holidayswithaerlingus.com accrue the correct tier credits & avios?

You would assume yes but... thanks!

Advertisement