Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Slam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Barney 95 , Butler 97.

Doesn't sound like dire stuff to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Monday November 9 (7pm-11pm)
    Groups E-H Final Games
    Jonny Clayton 0-5 Geert De Vos (G)
    Robbie Green 5-1 Martin Phillips (H)
    Mark Webster 5-3 Michel van der Horst (F)
    Gary Anderson 5-1 Andy Boulton (E)
    Robert Thornton 5-4 Terry Jenkins (G)
    Phil Taylor 5-2 Rowby-John Rodriguez (H)
    James Wade 5-2 Keegan Brown (F)
    Raymond van Barneveld 5-3 Larry Butler (E)

Tuesday November 10 (7pm-11pm)
    Groups A-D Final Games
    Dave Chisnall v Scott Mitchell (D)
    Ian White v Jelle Klaasen (B)
    Kim Huybrechts v Mark Oosterhuis (A)
    Adrian Lewis v Wayne Jones (C)
    Michael van Gerwen v Steve West (A)
    Peter Wright v Mervyn King (D)
    Steve Beaton v Martin Adams (B)
    Michael Smith v Andy Fordham (C)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Hopefully "Mark Potter" manages to get at least one dart at double in his final match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Hopefully "Mark Potter" manages to get at least one dart at double in his final match.

The only one he'll get is at the double bull to see who goes first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

mdwexford wrote:
    Doesn't sound like dire stuff to me.

Didn't think it was a bad game myself, Larry played brilliantly. Think there was 1 bad leg (20 darter) which brought the averages down.

Whats tonight's line up?

• Advertisement

Does Fordham have to win tonight to progress or will a few legs do him?

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Does Fordham have to win tonight to progress or will a few legs do him?

Depends on the Lewis vs Jones result.

He needs Jones to beat Lewis really and if he loses as well it'll go to legs difference. He's already 2 legs behind Lewis. Very slim chance.

Huybrechts is 1/40 to beat him!!

Think that's the shortest price over this short a format I've ever seen.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Depends on the Lewis vs Jones result.

He needs Jones to beat Lewis really and if he loses as well it'll go to legs difference. He's already 2 legs behind Lewis. Very slim chance.
    This tournament is the only tournament I ever really remember Jones from because he's local and wears the wolves colours(think his darts are same too) but he has been pretty grim in his 1st 2 games. So Ade win would put him on 4 points with Smith & Fordham on 2 meaning Fordham would have to win(probably by couple of legs) to stand any chance of progressing.

I think he'll be happy enough to have competed and delighted to have won a match on the big stage after so long.
    mdwexford wrote: »
    Huybrechts is 1/40 to beat him!!

Think that's the shortest price over this short a format I've ever seen.

lol MVG was 1/20 best price to beat him, seems the bookies have caught on. I'm going for 5-0 at evens but a cert has to be less than 6.5 legs at 2/7 if anyone is worried Oosterhuis will do something magical like win a leg.

mdwexford wrote:

Ah thats a pity, Can't see him getting too many legs off Smith. Lewis may lose though, dont think he likes the short format.

In the 8 or 9 slams Lewis played in he only got out of the group 3 times, thats a shocking stat for one of the best players ever.

• Advertisement

Ah thats a pity, Can't see him getting too many legs off Smith. Lewis may lose though, dont think he likes the short format.

In the 8 or 9 slams Lewis played in he only got out of the group 3 times, thats a shocking stat for one of the best players ever.

I think they said the other night he had been in every grand slam and this is its 9th year running. I'm not sure about one of best players ever though, even with 2 world championships, I wouldn't put him in that category yet. I think his attitude sucks and he lacks focus plus I've seen what looks like some unsporting behavior from him during matches to try and gain an advantage which I don't agree with. He has age on his side that he could turn things like that around though.

Am I going mad or does anyone else think Steve West is good value at 8/11 with +3.5 legs tonight? MVG has already qualified and commentators like to tell us of him losing focus during matches when he's ahead so maybe he'll not go into this full throttle...plus West has been decent enough in his 1st 2 games. Even if MVG starts and breaks him once West would still win 2 legs.

Devastator wrote:
    I think they said the other night he had been in every grand slam and this is its 9th year running. I'm not sure about one of best players ever though, even with 2 world championships, I wouldn't put him in that category yet. I think his attitude sucks and he lacks focus plus I've seen what looks like some unsporting behavior from him during matches to try and gain an advantage which I don't agree with. He has age on his side that he could turn things like that around though.

I completely agree with that, I worded it wrong. One of if not the most talented player ever. I think he either lacks bottle or concentration, whatever it is he is lacking something mentally. He should have won a lot more than he has. That was my point kind of that a player as talented as him has only got out of the group 3 out of 9 times. He is always a seeded player so should be doing alot better imo. I wouldn't be too surprised if he loses tonight.

Devastator wrote:
    Am I going mad or does anyone else think Steve West is good value at 8/11 with +3.5 legs tonight? MVG has already qualified and commentators like to tell us of him losing focus during matches when he's ahead so maybe he'll not go into this full throttle...plus West has been decent enough in his 1st 2 games. Even if MVG starts and breaks him once West would still win 2 legs.

I can't see value in that anyway, he does lose focus sometimes but I'm sure he would want to break records for averges. Cant believe your man broke the record last night, thought Phil would have gotten higher than that over the years, especially with the short format.

I completely agree with that, I worded it wrong. One of if not the most talented player ever. I think he either lacks bottle or concentration, whatever it is he is lacking something mentally. He should have won a lot more than he has. That was my point kind of that a player as talented as him has only got out of the group 3 out of 9 times. He is always a seeded player so should be doing alot better imo. I wouldn't be too surprised if he loses tonight.

yeah he's definitely got the talent but something in his head stops him. If he ever got in contact with someone like the fella Steve Peters(I hinks his name) who works with Ronnie O'Sullivan & the olympic athletes it could really transform him. I really can't see him getting beat tonight though, less to do with him and more to do with Jones' form over 1st 2 games.
    I can't see value in that anyway, he does lose focus sometimes but I'm sure he would want to break records for averges. Cant believe your man broke the record last night, thought Phil would have gotten higher than that over the years, especially with the short format.

Hope you're wrong :p lol stuck it in a small 6 timer at about 25/1 but in main bet have West +4.5 at 2/9 as I can't see a whitewash happening. I think for MVG to push records he needs to play against a really good player, someone that will push and challenge him to really hit peak form. When he's cruising against players he seems content enough to coast to victory. Still has a killer instinct but just no overkill.

Who broke the record, do vos? I had sound turned down quite low due to the hysterics of a certain pleb commentating :D I heard them say something about it in the last leg but thought a few poor darts had ruined it

Devastator wrote:
    Hope you're wrong lol stuck it in a small 6 timer at about 25/1 but in main bet have West +4.5 at 2/9 as I can't see a whitewash happening. I think for MVG to push records he needs to play against a really good player, someone that will push and challenge him to really hit peak form. When he's cruising against players he seems content enough to coast to victory. Still has a killer instinct but just no overkill.

Devastator wrote:
    Who broke the record, do vos? I had sound turned down quite low due to the hysterics of a certain pleb commentating I heard them say something about it in the last leg but thought a few poor darts had ruined it

Haha you really do despise Mardle dont you :-) Ya it was geert do vos, some sites are saying it was 113 others saying 115.

Ya I suppose you're right in saying MvG needs to be pushed, we will see. You're having a good week with the bets so I don't doubt you ha!

Haha you really do despise Mardle dont you :-) Ya it was geert do vos, some sites are saying it was 113 others saying 115.

Ya I suppose you're right in saying MvG needs to be pushed, we will see. You're having a good week with the bets so I don't doubt you ha!

113 or 115 still superb darts! Was the televised record not like 117 or something though?

Ack now despise is such a strong word....unfortunately not strong enough in this instance :D;) lol I could actually look past it if he just talked nonsense but its because his voice jumps up & down about 80 octaves per sentence that does my head in. He's worse than a 13 year old boy doing a bungee jump! Most sport(well at least the sports I watch) commentators talk crap, none of them must have heard the phrase "Less is more" or they just like the sound of their own voice. So a lot of the time I kinda zone out from what they're saying but with Mardle screaming like a hyena being raped its difficult to block it out.

I thought it was funny last week John Terry's comments about Robbie Savage and thought to myself "I'm sure there are a lot of darters out there feel the same about Mardle" lol

I only got into profit on the GS last night by the skin of a Dutchman's diabetic teeth so I don't wanna say much :D Had good weekend on the European comp last weekend, between that & couple of rare football wins I was able to make 4 withdrawls totaling £240 which is excellent for me because my normal stake is only a fiver or 10 sometimes if Im in a bit of profit.

I usually hate last games of the groups in the grand slam though because some players have qualified or went out already and sometimes they only need certain amount of legs to get through so it can make winning anything very hard. I remember a few years ago Ando only need 2 legs to get through and when he got them he basically put his darts away(I think it might have been against Fitton or to help Fitton get through, something like that anyway)

Excellent from Scotty Mitchell there. He was never going to progress from that group but he played well throughout. Looking good to retain the Lakeside title this year. He's one of the few BDO players I feel could make it if he switched.

Excellent from Scotty Mitchell there. He was never going to progress from that group but he played well throughout. Looking good to retain the Lakeside title this year. He's one of the few BDO players I feel could make it if he switched.

Point proven what I said earlier about it being hard to make money on last night of groups :mad: Chizzy was 2/7 and in my main bet :mad:

The small bet has 1st 2 parts up though, Chizzy +2.5 180s & 103.5+ checkout White/Klassen (White hit 121 in 2nd leg)....Stevie West needs to help me out along with a few others lol.

Delighted to hear Dennis the Menace on commentary! Its so weird too because I was thinking this afternoon I would love if during the worlds they got the likes of Dennis and some of the older players(Manley, Evison....John Lowe!) we don't see anymore in to do the odd game instead of people like Freddie Flintoff or Stephen Fry

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Mark Potter with 2 legs! He actually played decent too. Fair play to him.

Mark Potter with 2 legs! He actually played decent too. Fair play to him.

The cheeky bastard! 1st chance this tournament to have a throw at double and he goes double double from 60 :eek::D 86 average isn't really that decent, he'll win nothing this lifetime if thats his best

• Advertisement

Thank god Moaning King is gone anyway, surprised he wasn't holding his back once Snakebite hit the winning double.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

That was a nice flashback to 95 that picture of Merv and Peter.

You wouldn't recognise either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I was wondering why Wolfie was playing considering he declined to play in 2010 and 11 when he was Lakeside champion but apparently the BDO asked to go this time which was nice.

Poor old Andy Fordham looks in terrible shape again, he had lost a tonne of weight a few years back when he had his health problems but seems to have put a lot of it back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Wolfie you are a legend in the way you have conducted yourself.

crasy dash wrote: »
    That was a nice flashback to 95 that picture of Merv and Peter.

You wouldn't recognise either of them.

So long ago it was in black and white :eek::D
    Poor old Andy Fordham looks in terrible shape again, he had lost a tonne of weight a few years back when he had his health problems but seems to have put a lot of it back on.

I'm glad he's out. All the sentiment about him sickens me. Yes he was very ill BUT it was self inflicted, that for me rules out any sympathy for him. I hope for the future he stays in good health and keeps playing darts but I'll not feel sorry for him for drinking far too much.

Wednesday November 11 (7pm-11pm)
    Second Round
    Robert Thornton v Robbie Green
    Phil Taylor v Terry Jenkins
    Gary Anderson v Mark Webster
    James Wade v Raymond van Barneveld

Thursday November 12 (7pm-11pm)
    Second Round
    Michael van Gerwen v Steve Beaton
    Martin Adams v Kim Huybrechts
    Michael Smith v Dave Chisnall
    Peter Wright v Adrian Lewis
    Order of play TBC

Second Round - Best of 19 legs

Predictions for tonight; Thornton, Taylor(by at least 5 legs), Ando & Wade

Very hard to imagine Taylor or Ando losing.

Thornton should have too much for Green.

Wade is playing brilliant so far but have a feeling Barney may show up tonight. Could be a close one.

Bar MVG tomorrow is rock hard, three very tight games there on paper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭Andrew Laeddis

I genuinely thought Andy Fordham had passed away?

I genuinely thought Andy Fordham had passed away?

He wasn't far off it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Devastator wrote: »

I'm glad he's out. All the sentiment about him sickens me. Yes he was very ill BUT it was self inflicted, that for me rules out any sympathy for him. I hope for the future he stays in good health and keeps playing darts but I'll not feel sorry for him for drinking far too much.

It's a disease. Most alcoholics think there is nothing wrong with their drinking and don't realise the damage it is doing to them.

Advertisement