Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Slam

Options
  • 02-11-2015 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭

Starts on Saturday, be very tough for any of the BDO players to get through their groups, wish them the best of luck, all except wolfie, I hope he's absolutely slaughtered on the oche :D

GROUP A (1) Michael van Gerwen Kim Huybrechts Steve West Mark Oosterhuis
    GROUP B
    (8) Ian White Jelle Klaasen Steve Beaton Martin Adams
    GROUP C
    (5) Adrian Lewis Michael Smith Wayne Jones Andy Fordham
    GROUP D
    (4) Peter Wright Dave Chisnall Mervyn King Scott Mitchell
    GROUP E
    (2) Gary Anderson Raymond van Barneveld Andy Boulton Larry Butler
    GROUP F
    (7) James Wade Keegan Brown Mark Webster Michael van der Horst
    GROUP G
    (6) Robert Thornton Terry Jenkins Jonny Clayton Geert De Vos
    GROUP H
    (3) Phil Taylor Rowby-John Rodriguez Robbie Green Martin Phillips

POOL 2 – PDC AUTOMATIC ENTRANTS
    1 BARNEVELD, Raymond van
    2 BROWN, Keegan
    3 CHISNALL, Dave
    4 HUYBRECHTS, Kim
    5 JENKINS, Terry
    6 KLAASEN, Jelle
    7 RODRIGUEZ, Rowby-John
    8 SMITH, Michael

POOL 3 – PDC QUALIFIERS
    1 BEATON, Steve
    2 BOULTON, Andy
    3 CLAYTON, Jonny
    4 GREEN, Robbie
    5 JONES, Wayne
    6 KING, Mervyn
    7 WEBSTER, Mark
    8 WEST, Steve

POOL 4 - BDO AUTOMATIC ENTRANTS/QUALIFIERS
    1 ADAMS, Martin
    2 BUTLER, Larry
    3 FORDHAM, Andy
    4 HORST, Michael van der
    5 MITCHELL, Scott
    6 OOSTERHUIS, Mark
    7 PHILLIPS, Martin
    8 VOS, Geert de

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

Good to see Andy Fordham back on the scene, true gent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Devastator wrote: »
    Starts on Saturday, be very tough for any of the BDO players to get through their groups, wish them the best of luck, all except wolfie, I hope he's absolutely slaughtered on the oche :D

I would agree it will be tough for BDO players, I think Wolfie has the best chance of getting through and unlike you I hope he does. Far nicer fella than PT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

wofie got a very nice draw, rest are ****ed lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Always a bit wary of the way Barney gets into these things. Off the top of my head he'd won nothing or been placed in nothing all year and his ranking is plummeting so how is he in here.
    Remember that new non ranking comp 'The Masters' that was on ITV4 in January? Limited to the Top 16, pure exhibition job really. Suddenly thats a path to the GSOD and the runners up spot that RVB got is enough to get him in here.
    I'm deeply suspicious unless someone can show that they announced the gsod qualification procedure in advance of the Masters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

I've always felt the grand slam was a bit of a hand picked tournament, each year I would see the qualifiers and usually what tournament they won/runner up in or whatever but sometimes it just didn't make sense. I dunno about Barney or what way he got in this year but it can't be in connection with that masters tournament I don't think because the finals for that are in 3/4 weeks time

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Devastator wrote:
    I've always felt the grand slam was a bit of a hand picked tournament, each year I would see the qualifiers and usually what tournament they won/runner up in or whatever but sometimes it just didn't make sense. I dunno about Barney or what way he got in this year but it can't be in connection with that masters tournament I don't think because the finals for that are in 3/4 weeks time

The Masters was a 2 day tournament on in February, MvG beat Barney in the final.
    The World Series of Darts is the finals thats on in a few weeks, thats a continuation of the Summer tour in Japan,Aus and NZ.

Always a bit wary of the way Barney gets into these things. Off the top of my head he'd won nothing or been placed in nothing all year and his ranking is plummeting so how is he in here. Remember that new non ranking comp 'The Masters' that was on ITV4 in January? Limited to the Top 16, pure exhibition job really. Suddenly thats a path to the GSOD and the runners up spot that RVB got is enough to get him in here. I'm deeply suspicious unless someone can show that they announced the gsod qualification procedure in advance of the Masters.

You're spot on. The qualification criteria was changed in June, 4 months after Barney reached that final. I'm sure this kind of thing will get much worse when Phil Taylor stops qualifying automatically for tournaments.

shame the bdo number 1 hasnt got in

ComfortKid wrote: »
    The Masters was a 2 day tournament on in February, MvG beat Barney in the final.
    The World Series of Darts is the finals thats on in a few weeks, thats a continuation of the Summer tour in Japan,Aus and NZ.

I thought they were calling that tour the world masters or something.
    ComfortKid wrote: »
    You're spot on. The qualification criteria was changed in June, 4 months after Barney reached that final. I'm sure this kind of thing will get much worse when Phil Taylor stops qualifying automatically for tournaments.

Well that depends on whether Taylor keeps his word and retires or not like he's promised us he will. I'm sure they'll fire money at him to keep him going but I don't think he would play on that long if he wasn't playing at the top. Sure thats all way off anyway because of his new best mates at target who have made him darts that hes playing his best ever with(said in interview at weekend lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

No way Taylor will plummet down the rankings the way Barney had, as soon as he feels he cant compete vs the best he'll be gone.

Cant wait for the Grand Slam, my third fav tournament of the year now.

• Advertisement

I can't see Taylor falling as fast as Barney either, I think Phil has a big major left in him, but when the time does come, I think he will be too stubborn and greedy to pack it in, he will keep trying to prove himself in my opinion.

Really looking forward to it this year now that its a ranking title and that we get to see Wolfie Adams get some serious stick from the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Maybe Wolfie will win them over like Ted Hankey did, if he responds good naturedly to the booing from the start. He may not have it in him though.

Maybe Wolfie will win them over like Ted Hankey did, if he responds good naturedly to the booing from the start. He may not have it in him though.

Thats exactly whats exiting me, how will he respond. Going by past interviews and clips, he hates the PDC circus with a passion and he can't play if the crowd are singing. It'd be a great if he went deep, he got a handy draw.
    Scott Mitchell has the toughest group I think 3 of the top 16

hehe Wolfie up 2nd last on Saturday night so a full days drinking for the crowd to get geared up to welcome(ahem) him :D

TBH I wouldn't be surprised, even at this stage, if he pulls out for some reason and they get a replacement for him

12109164_901312079916200_6772001887742356179_n.png?oh=3675e7e35ee362b38d6076c917a31918&oe=56B4E1C2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭shockframe

Wolfie might come out all guns blazing too.

Don't forget that he has played in Blackpool and Dublin even though it's before Darts took off.Ted hadnt played PDC before the Grand Slam and even he could do anything on the quieter BDO nevermind the PDC circus.

The Strop this year aside Wolfie's a lot smarter than most in darts and isn't involved in many theatrics over on the BDO.Win the first game and it's going to get interesting.

Most of the crowd attending next week surely know by now that Adams is one of the best in the game.He has been in the business end of the majors for over a decade which i dont think is bettered by any other player on either side bar Taylor and most recently MVG.

His participation has been overdue a good few years. He has a reasonable draw but to me he's past his 2005-12 prime.Last 16 or last 8 would be my prediction.

Wolfie - I didn't call Snakebite a clown
    http://www.skysports.com/darts/news/12288/10056703/martin-adams-plays-down-clown-row-with-peter-wright-ahead-of-world-grand-slam

John Gywnn is commentating on Saturday :cool:

Does anyone else think the whole PDC VS BDO debate has quietened down over last few years? To me there seems to be less and less talk of it, have the PDC(hearn) finally moved on & accepted that they won't get to take over the BDO or has the PDC maybe outgrown needing the BDO.

Is that the reason behind youth development tour from PDC that they are trying to bring through their own players and also knowing every year they'll take a handful of BDO players across aswell?

edit;

"Barney - To be No 18 in the world is ridiculous for my status, I still believe I'm a top six player,"

lol he put more conviction into that 1 sentence than most darts Ive seen him throw the last few years! Top 6? naaahhhhhhhhhh, on a good day for him he might beat top 6 players but so could most of the top 32 if they play well against someone under par. He could write a book of excuses

The gap is ever increasing between the PDC and BDO. Especially when the majority of the good BDO lads switch when they get the chance.

It's really is like pro darts vs pub darts now when looking at the tournaments as a whole.

Talent wise Barney is still top 6 but it's been 5+ years since he played like that consistently. He can pop up with a win every year or two but his heart isn't in it enough any more.

theres no debating the bdo vrs pdc anymore
    its boring and theres nothing that can be argued
    bunting was cleaning up in the bdo, came across and has now settled as a top 16 player, thats it
    hes a good player but not top 6 or consistant major winner the bdo heads were claiming he would do
    glen durrant is current bdo no 1, i think hed struggle to get anywhere near top 16 and after that theres not many more players
    and with pdc youth tour growing i think theres more pdc grown stars as years go by

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Only just found out that Martin Adams is in the tournament this year. That's great news, even though i can't stand him. Hope he gets hammered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Great first game there Kong did well nice way to finish the game.

Yeah Roby & Kong was a great game. Jenkins out against a tv debutant(apparently) in Johnny Clayton who played well.
    Rob Thornton was pushed to final leg decider in his match.

Keegan Brown & Mark Webster was a piss take of a game with Brown's fall outs!! WTF like? Ive never seen as many darts fall out of the board in a single game before and it was happening all over the board too. It must be his darts at fault though rather than the board bcause Webster didn't have any fall. He needs to get down to the cobblers this afternoon and get his tips sharpened up.

I have a lot of respect for Webster after that game though for stopping to let Brown fix his broken dart, although the commentators said he was sharpening his tips?!? I though the shaft was broke into the dart and it nearly looked like Brown was so pissed off at the fallouts he was going to finish the match with 2 darts!

BORING BORING AUDIENCE SINGING "BORING BORING TABLES".....what a **** chant! Can't wait to hear the toure bros song :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Devastator wrote: »
    BORING BORING AUDIENCE SINGING "BORING BORING TABLES".....what a **** chant! Can't wait to hear the toure bros song :rolleyes:

Let me help you with that :D

Taylor fuming over Fordham saying he doesn't like him :D

Afternoon Session (1pm-5pm)
    Groups E-H First Games

Rowby-John Rodriguez 3-5 Robbie Green (H)
    Terry Jenkins 3-5 Jonny Clayton (G)
    Robert Thornton 5-4 Geert De Vos (G)
    James Wade 5-2 Michel van der Horst (F)
    Keegan Brown 3-5 Mark Webster (F)
    Gary Anderson 5-0 Larry Butler (E)
    Phil Taylor 5-0 Martin Phillips (H)
    Raymond van Barneveld 5-0 Andy Boulton (E)

mdwexford wrote: »

He's really pathetic isn't he? A 55 year old grandfather getting on like a nursery school kid! How the **** has he went 55 years without realising not everyone likes him(or pretends to his face)?

I wonder is this uncle Barry or the sky boys trying to hype up the tournament a bit with a bit of PDC/BDO rivalry? As said before the whole talk seems to have died to death. It would be too obvious for Adams to say anything probably so get the next biggest known BDO player to comment on PDCs most successful player

mdwexford wrote: »

I'm just a humble man from Stoke, he said. :rolleyes:

Great games so far tonight, now its time for the BDO boys! I'm betting against everyone of them :D Handicaps for Lewis & MVG

Even though i don't hold out much hope, COME ON ANDY!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Fordham is just too nervous although even with the nerves he has thrown some good darts. It's great to see him back!

Advertisement