Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Slam

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Absolutely hate how Taylor rambles on about how he's 'got his back up' by beating him. He needs to realize that he is not the unstoppable force he used to be anymore. Arrogant, annoying tw*t...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭Andrew Laeddis

I'll piss myself laughing when Taylor falls on his arse next month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Cona wrote: »
    Absolutely hate how Taylor rambles on about how he's 'got his back up' by beating him. He needs to realize that he is not the unstoppable force he used to be anymore. Arrogant, annoying tw*t...

Its been mentioned a few times that MVG is playing every week while taylor and a few others are picking and choosing tournaments. It shows how sharp MVG's finishing was all through the tournament.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Its been mentioned a few times that MVG is playing every week while taylor and a few others are picking and choosing tournaments. It shows how sharp MVG's finishing was all through the tournament.

Taylor doesn't do that anymore. He played in all the events this year and pro tour except the European tour. Michael actually skipped the last pro tour weekend.

This guys are playing darts all day every day, it's definitely not sharpness. Its pressure or confidence in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Taylor doesn't do that anymore. He played in all the events this year and pro tour except the European tour. Michael actually skipped the last pro tour weekend.

This guys are playing darts all day every day, it's definitely not sharpness. Its pressure or confidence in my opinion.

http://www.dartsdatabase.co.uk/PlayerDetails.aspx?playerKey=1

Not that it matters but Taylor hasnt played anything like all the tour events, info is there and John part even mentioned it in commentary.

• Advertisement

Not that it matters but Taylor hasnt played anything like all the tour events, info is there and John part even mentioned it in commentary.

See that there, MvG played in 5 more pro tour events than Taylor, sorry. Plus all the European ones.Phil did play in all the recent ones though so I cannot imagine hes "rusty.

Looking at that site you just linked, you can see MvGs dedication, unbelievable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Suppose he is young and fit and making lots of money, must be hard to keep it up after twenty years constantly travelling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

MVG ripped the baton out of Taylor's cold hearted dead hands last night :D Cheer up Phil, you seriously think we believe you that only now you've regained some hunger because of MVGs celebrating when taking your only trophy off you? First time in 20 odd year's he's not been the holder of a major trophy, must be a bitter pill to swallow :D

That was probably MVGs worst performance in thge grand slam yet he still won it. I don't understand why so many people are excusing Taylor saying he missed doubles...so did MVG.....a whole load of them so this isn't the reason Taylor lost. I've not seen the stats but I'd guess the checkout percentage for both is fairly similar and probably about 25-30%.

A tame final after a very entertaining week of darts. Just imagine what it would have been like had the BDO sent players that could actually challenge. Always enjoyed past slams when Waites & O'Shea were getting to later stages

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Taylor needs to accept that he's getting old and won't be able to keep up with the high standard for much longer. He doesn't like the fact he's not centre of attention anymore. I've always wondered if he drifts further down the rankings in the next few years will he retire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭Andrew Laeddis

One things for sure, Taylor has zero chance of a post darts career in the media ala Mardle, Bristow et al

My farts have more personality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

One things for sure, Taylor has zero chance of a post darts career in the media ala Mardle, Bristow et al

If Bristow loses anymore teeth, no one will be able to understand him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Yeah why would anyone want the greatest player ever to do media work.

Talking through your hoop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

I firmly believe Taylor will be doing pantomime after he finishes with darts. I dunno why but he seems really old fashioned and I think he'll consider that a good, natural progression of his career :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Oh no he won't ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

taylor is playing as good as he always has really,for a long time nobody could touch him as the standard around him was poor bar one or two,now days there are a good few who can beat him,his standards the same,the rest have caught up,and a few have passed him,

him missing doubles is a direct result of being under pressure ,whereas before he had it relatively easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Taylor is the greatest darts player ever, very few people would dispute that but I personally think there's very few things likable about the man. To be honest he comes across as a humourless, arrogant prick most of the time.

Ps, if Taylor doesn't with the players championship in a few weeks time, would this be the first time in over 20 years that Taylor hasn't won a TV major in a particular year?

I think last night, although only the GSOD was the most pressure Taylor was ever under. He knew it was the last title he had, and the fact it was against the man who is now dominating. The only player ever to really threaten Phils dominence. When he lost the odd title over the years, he knew he would be back. I think he realises now that he's not the main man that everyone fears and that MvG is infact better than him.

You could see how upset he was after it, he looked physically rattled as well as mentally. He didn't seem as upset when he lost the Worlds final to Ando.

Ps, if Taylor doesn't with the players championship in a few weeks time, would this be the first time in over 20 years that Taylor hasn't won a TV major in a particular year?

Yes. 1994 was the last time but there was only two majors back then, Worlds and Matchplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Amazing to think how MVG has won everything by age 26, a great achievement. Different circumstances and all but Phil was only taking up the game seriously around this age.

Here's a good breakdown of the stats.. Michael actually missed more doubles than Phil..

• Advertisement
Advertisement