Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Slam

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Andy Fordham walks onto "I'm too sexy!" haha would have been better with a bit of shakin Steven;s he was that nervous.
    Threw some good darts and I think he took Lewis by surprize in the 1st leg. Crowd gave him some good support during the match...I don't think that sentiment will last through for all the BDO players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Fordham is just too nervous although even with the nerves he has thrown some good darts. It's great to see him back!

Yes it was great to see him back and it will be interesting to watch his next two games now that he's gotten that out of the way. Will the nerves be as bad? I don't think so and if not, who knows what could happen.

Fordhams biggest problem is his physical condition. He's just not going to be able to cope with long matches under the TV lights.

Hulk Hogan can't claim to have the biggest arms in the world anymore

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Some arms on him alright!

This lads nickname is "Mark Potter"! Awful!

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Some arms on him alright!

This lads nickname is "Mark Potter"! Awful!

lol any idea why? I wasn't listening at the start. His shirt's grim too. Think he's been on the yolks today! His jaw is all over the place when he throws :D

• Advertisement

Well he must be a magician because I just blinked and the game was over

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Supposedly he looks like Harry Potter despite the fact that he doesn't!

Wolfie up next, wonder how the crowd will react?

Think Wolfie's gonna be like a lamb to the slaughter with the crowd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭statto25

Wolfie is playing grest stuff here. Crowd have gone very quiet too. He's just smiling away and not reacting.

Well wrong about the crowd, they boo'd for his 1st 2 or 3 throws then it was basically cheers.

His checkouts were great, his jewellery is gaudy but I got to admit I didn't like his standing in front of the board when he took his darts out after a 180 in the 2nd leg. I think celebrate all you want but as soon as you take your darts out of the board you need to get out of the way for the other player

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Great to see Wolfie silence the pdc boo-boys.

Awesome stuff from the all-time legend.

I have to say that Adams played great stuff and dealt with the situation very well. Got the crowd on his side. Very good performance.

Great performance from Mitchell too but got well beaten. No idea how!

Sunday November 8
    Afternoon Session (1pm-5pm)
    Groups E-H Second Group Games
    Keegan Brown v Michel van der Horst
    Rowby-John Rodriguez v Martin Phillips
    Andy Boulton v Larry Butler
    Terry Jenkins v Geert De Vos
    Robert Thornton v Jonny Clayton
    Phil Taylor v Robbie Green
    James Wade v Mark Webster
    Gary Anderson v Raymond van Barneveld

Ando & Barney should be v.good, both won 5-0 today but I'll be backing Ando for the win(or over 7.5 legs

Edit - Forgot evening :p
    Evening Session (7.30pm-11.30pm)
    Groups A-D Second Group Games
    Steve West v Mark Oosterhuis
    Ian White v Steve Beaton
    Wayne Jones v Andy Fordham
    Mervyn King v Scott Mitchell
    Adrian Lewis v Michael Smith
    Michael van Gerwen v Kim Huybrechts
    Jelle Klaasen v Martin Adams
    Peter Wright v Dave Chisnall

Few cracking looks games in the evening aswell

Great to see Wolfie silence the pdc boo-boys.

Awesome stuff from the all-time legend.

To be fair here, I don't think there are too many who really know the game who would not say that Adams isn't or at least was a top class player at his peak. The problem the "pdc boo-boys" as you put it have it that he was happy to be the big fish in a very small pond when all we really wanted to see was how he would shape up against the very best. Barney made the move and had success but he did it too late. Had he never done it, what would his legacy be? With Adams it will always be a case of "what if"? We just don't know how he would have fared in the long term against the best players week in week out. Hankey also left it too late and he was a disaster.

If Wolfie wanted to silence the boo-boys he had plenty of opportunities to do so long before now. He joined the PDC and then left. He was being given invitations to play in this tournament for years and kept turning it down so why only do it now? Does he need the money now he's 59? Who knows what it is but don't expect PDC fans in general to suddenly be in awe of a man who has time and again spurned the chance to test himself against the best just because he won one match.

How would he have done against Taylor, Wade, Lewis, Anderson, Barney, MVG, Part, Priestly, Harrington, Lloyd, Painter, Mardle ;) and Manley? There are many more names and while he did cross swords with some of them at some point in his career we just never got to see where he would have settled in terms of rankings and titles had he been among that group.

He only began to have success in the BDO when the standard there dropped after Barney and a lot of the other top guys who were still there finally had enough and wanted to earn a living and / or test themselves against the best.

I think it's a shame Adams didn't do that because I think he would have had a very good career in the PDC and if Part could manage to win two world titles during his time there, well maybe he could have done that too.

Anyway it's all if's but's and maybe's now so all we can do is watch and see how he gets on in the rest of this tournament and who knows, maybe some success might yet change his mind (but I doubt it) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Adams was unreal tonight.

Ton of pressure on him and he delivered in spades.

Kudos to him.

Mark Oosterhuis (Harry Potter....apparently) had an average of 67.

That is just truly abysmal! Does anyone know of any lower televised PDC ranking events that have had lower averages?
    I know some of the world championship pre lims can be pretty awful so we'll just count full tournament(not pre lim).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

mdwexford wrote: »
    Adams was unreal tonight.

Ton of pressure on him and he delivered in spades.

Kudos to him.

Ya was delighted for Wolfie, he is a clever fella and knew to be respectful of the crowd and they will come round.

On a side note Taylor reminded me of David Brent in The Office, hit me with any jib I can take it. No you can't Phil you said you didn't care about the comment but still kept bringing it up long after the presenter had progressed to something else. Funny really.

Best player ever FACT but not a nice man.

Devastator wrote: »
    Mark Oosterhuis (Harry Potter....apparently) had an average of 67.

That is just truly abysmal! Does anyone know of any lower televised PDC ranking events that have had lower averages?
    I know some of the world championship pre lims can be pretty awful so we'll just count full tournament(not pre lim).

It's possi ble that in the very early days of the PDC there were some awful averages floating around because there were quite a few journeymen out there just making up the numbers.

As for Oosterhuis, well what can you say really? It just amazes me that he qualified at all. He's BDO world number 92 IIRC!

It's possi ble that in the very early days of the PDC there were some awful averages floating around because there were quite a few journeymen out there just making up the numbers.

As for Oosterhuis, well what can you say really? It just amazes me that he qualified at all. He's BDO world number 92 IIRC!

Ummmm yeah true, didn't really consider its nearly 25 years. Maybe say since 2000 onwards?

92? :eek: Thought he would be top 20 easy :D I'm sure theres a fair few pub players that could beat a 67 average.

I tried googling it last night to see if I could find anything but no lists. I did read that apparently Sholten around 2008 had a 58(I think) avg in a tournament but he apparently had shoulder surgery a few days before the match and only turned up to play to get a couple of grand appearance money lol.

Brown 5-4 vd horst
    Rowby 5-2 Phillips

No fall outs from Brown today but a pretty dire match with mid 80 averages. Good performance from young Rowby, played solid throughout and had 50% checkouts. He wasn't pushed at all though.

Boulton 4-5 Butler
    Jenks 5-0 De Vos
    Thorn 5-2 Clayton

Like the look of this little 180 double at little short of 3/1
    Webster most 180s (6/5) & Ando 2.5+ 180s (8/11)

Webster is a decent max hitter and thats probably the weakest part of Wade's game and 3 or more for Ando doesn't sound like much of a struggle, he got 4 yesterday in 5 legs and he should have more than 5 legs in todays match.

FS Sly still hyping Taylor/Fordham rivalry :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Devastator wrote: »

FS Sly still hyping Taylor/Fordham rivalry :rolleyes:

It is horrid ****e altogether.

I haven't played darts properly in years and I think I would beat Harry Potter

hahaha Harry Potter whitewashed again! His average increased up to a staggering 75 though :D 10 legs and he has not had a single dart at a double! Imagine what his average would be factoring in (missed) doubles lol

I haven't played darts properly in years and I think I would beat Harry Potter

You better play with your wrong hand to give him a chance though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Did Glen Durrant fail to qualify?

That was pathetic Ian White :mad:

monkey9 wrote: »
    Did Glen Durrant fail to qualify?

Yes.....the qualification makes no sense. Was looking at it earlier and its just a mess. Think this year is quite a poor(compared to previous years) lineup as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Cmon andy what a reception for him:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Delighted for big Andy. :D

Go on Andy!

• Advertisement

Jaysus tonights games have been a dire standard so far :( Fordham/Jones was the worst game(pdc) I've watched in a long time. Winner with sub 80 average? :/

Advertisement