Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Ogham wrote: »
    Nothing - apart from making sure the seller fills in the customs label correctly so that it is not overvalued by customs. Also - the handling fee is higher with DHL and Fedex they seem to have a minimum fee of about €14 but An Post seem to be charging €3.50 flat rate.
    I doubt if the seller will be using couriers for 1 hat.

DHL only charged €5 on a UK shipment for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

So is an posts charge really 3.50€?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Nothing - apart from making sure the seller fills in the customs label correctly so that it is not overvalued by customs. Also - the handling fee is higher with DHL and Fedex they seem to have a minimum fee of about €14 but An Post seem to be charging €3.50 flat rate.
    I doubt if the seller will be using couriers for 1 hat.

Thanks a lot for your help, the hats are sent registered/signed for by Royal Mail UK and delivered by An Post in Ireland.

So her costs will be the VAT Ireland amount and the €3.50 handling (once An post deliver ) ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

TXPTGR1 wrote: »
    Hi bought a coat in December from uk- arrived in december and was too small, I sent back for next size up in December

New size arrived today along with a customs bill for 120 euro
    Am I correct in saying I can claim a refund on this as this was a replacement of a return?

You'll need to get it in writing from the supplier, clearly stating that it has no value as it is a replacement. Then try the email address further back up the thread if An Post, or the courier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Can I ask for some help please , its for an elderly relative who is unsure.

She buys pure Brittish wool hats, made in England, she buys 1 every few months and total cost is £38 including shipping per item.
    The small business she buys from have said they will not apply VAT to her order .

I assume vat in Ireland will be due upon arrival to Ireland and the handling fee/customs charge from the carrier.

Nothing else she needs to watch out for ?

Thanks

If the business normally use DPD to deliver, then they won't deliver her hat, not sure if it's across the board for couriers. Edit: I see you since clarified it's via standard postal services.
    See here
    https://www.dpd.co.uk/xml/content/about_dpd/uk-export-prohibited-list-v2.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Anyone got a package with an oar yet to confirm if the charge is 3.50 or 10€?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭blockman

A Family member in the UK wants to send me his old business laptop (could be worth £300) as a gift. Would I be subjected to any charges when it comes in to Ireland?

blockman wrote: »
    A Family member in the UK wants to send me his old business laptop (could be worth £300) as a gift. Would I be subjected to any charges when it comes in to Ireland?

Did you look at the first post in this thread?

Trying to figure it out as I am not buying anything, I am only receiving a second-hand gift. Its not very clear.

"When you import anything from outside the EU, it is subject to VAT and possibly duty, if it exceeds the limits. Limit for duty is €150, limit for VAT is €22 for purchases and €45 for a gift. If you buy it, it is NOT a gift. A gift is something someone sends you as a present. If you buy it as a present for someone else, that is not a gift."

Its a gift and valued at over €45, and is therefore liable to VAT + charges.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    Did you look at the first post in this thread?

Its not very clear to me. I am not buying anything I am just receiving a second-hand gift.

whiterebel wrote: »
    "When you import anything from outside the EU, it is subject to VAT and possibly duty, if it exceeds the limits. Limit for duty is €150, limit for VAT is €22 for purchases and €45 for a gift. If you buy it, it is NOT a gift. A gift is something someone sends you as a present. If you buy it as a present for someone else, that is not a gift."

Its a gift and valued at over €45, and is therefore liable to VAT + charges.

Ok Thanks.

They can keep their gifts as I don't want to have to pay for my own present.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

spix wrote: »
    It specifically says there is no duty being charged.
    Just Vat of 22.31 which is 23.9% vat on total customs value of 93.32 (which is already too high) total customs value should've been 72.30.

Its not just the customs or total value of the item- you also, believe it or not, get to pay VAT on all shipping charges too......... Don't blame An Post- thats at Revenue's door.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Its not just the customs or total value of the item- you also, believe it or not, get to pay VAT on all shipping charges too......... Don't blame An Post- thats at Revenue's door.

That's been pretty standard for years though.

It's to stop people dodging VAT by charging e.g. €1 for the item and €49 quid delivery charges so the recipient would only pay VAT on the €1 instead of on €50

MOH wrote: »
    That's been pretty standard for years though.

It's to stop people dodging VAT by charging e.g. €1 for the item and €49 quid delivery charges so the recipient would only pay VAT on the €1 instead of on €50

Indeed.
    However, you're already paying VAT on the shipping- so you're paying tax on a tax- which is also a determinant as to whether you hit a threshold to pay yet another tax (eg. Customs @ 150 Euro).

Its a whole series of dominoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

Indeed.
    However, you're already paying VAT on the shipping- so you're paying tax on a tax- which is also a determinant as to whether you hit a threshold to pay yet another tax (eg. Customs @ 150 Euro).

Here's a question if you are buying an item and getting it vat free of UK vat. Do you not get the shipping price vat free aswell?

Here's a question if you are buying an item and getting it vat free of UK vat. Do you not get the shipping price vat free aswell?

I'm honestly not sure. I'll defer to someone with better knowledge.

Mod - brought these over from AddressPal thread as they are more suited here.

Indeed.

I can't be entirely certain, and I'll check it out when I get a chance, but I don't think there's VAT on movements to/from outside the EU.
    I know DHL and FedEx don't charge VAT on movements from the US, and neither do UPS. Strangely enough, UPS charge VAT one the Customs clearance, which I think is incorrect, personally.

I'll let you know when I can check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Purple Papillon

Was there something in the deal struck before Christmas, about the origin of goods and if UK origin vat or customs isn't applied. I think I saw that somewhere but I can't find much information about it online.

Currently waiting on a package from the UK. About 38 pounds worth including the postage so about 44 or 45 euro. Its from etsy and an English crafter so the goods definitely of UK origin.

Will charges be applied to this when it comes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Was there something in the deal struck before Christmas, about the origin of goods and if UK origin vat or customs isn't applied. I think I saw that somewhere but I can't find much information about it online.

Currently waiting on a package from the UK. About 38 pounds worth including the postage so about 44 or 45 euro. Its from etsy and an English crafter so the goods definitely of UK origin.

Will charges be applied to this when it comes?

Etsy will not have charged the Irish VAT - so that will have to be paid(21% of 45) plus a handling fee (at least €3.50).
    No duty .

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for your help, the hats are sent registered/signed for by Royal Mail UK and delivered by An Post in Ireland.

So her costs will be the VAT Ireland amount and the €3.50 handling (once An post deliver ) ?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Purple Papillon

Etsy will not have charged the Irish VAT - so that will have to be paid(21% of 45) plus a handling fee (at least €3.50).
    No duty .

Thanks for the reply. Disappointed in the new charges from shopping from the UK. Did the calculations and it's not a lot but its still disappointing.

I thought there was something on items of UK origin but I probably got that wrong.

I was told something else from a contact that there's some sort of a grace period til the end of March for personal shoppers/people. I'm not a business by the way.

Duty is for higher priced items. Brexit is mess and a headache.

Thanks for the reply. Disappointed in the new charges from shopping from the UK. Did the calculations and it's not a lot but its still disappointing.

I thought there was something on items of UK origin but I probably got that wrong.

I was told something else from a contact that there's some sort of a grace period til the end of March for personal shoppers/people. I'm not a business by the way.

Duty is for higher priced items. Brexit is mess and a headache.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058146415

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Just got the dreaded email from revenue/customs last night.

I purchased some shoes at Christmas for £130, but with the current crisis, the package got delayed. Anyway, see the charges below.

They valued the shoes at €193.92
    Import duty €23.27
    VAT €45.69
    An Post Fee €3.50

It will be a long time until I buy from the UK again! I've sent them a mail with the receipt, so maybe they will update the charges based on that. I'll let you know if I get a response, otherwise I'll be paying the the fees tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Joziburg

tedpan wrote: »
    Just got the dreaded email from revenue/customs last night.

I purchased some shoes at Christmas for £130, but with the current crisis, the package got delayed. Anyway, see the charges below.

They valued the shoes at €193.92
    Import duty €23.27
    VAT €45.69
    An Post Fee €3.50

It will be a long time until I buy from the UK again! I've sent them a mail with the receipt, so maybe they will update the charges based on that. I'll let you know if I get a response, otherwise I'll be paying the the fees tomorrow.

How did they work out the value of €193 for £130?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Joziburg wrote: »
    How did they work out the value of €193 for £130?!?

The vat calculation is wrong as well, just like mine.

193 (This is the total customs value including addresspal postage fee) x 0.21 = 40.72 , not 45.69 same thing happened with my parcel. Even old 23% vat would put it at 44.39.

Edit - Nevermind, if vat is calculated on the duty as well that would put it at 45.609...however someone needs to tell them 60 9 is not the same as 69.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

Hey guys,

I purchased an item from GAP eu and I have been notified that it is due customs payment see below:
    Duty/TAX calculation on goods
    Total Payment Due: €13.70
    Duty: €0.00
    Tax (Customs): €7.65
    Brokerage Fee: €5.00
    VAT on Brokerage Fee: €1.05

Any reason why I would be charged this given it was bought on the EU site not a UK one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

deco72 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I purchased an item from GAP eu and I have been notified that it is due customs payment see below:

Any reason why I would be charged this given it was bought on the EU site not a UK one.

Check the order tracking, did it originate from UK?

• Advertisement

deco72 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Gap say they charge correct vat and duty at checkout.
    https://www.gap.eu/gap-purchasing-ordering/gap-cs-limitsandtaxes.html
    You need to get back on to them , the customs label might have been filled in wrong.
    Check your invoice .

Advertisement