Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Bill Williams

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

efb wrote: »
    A child... Really???

Anyone.

Security are there to stop people doing things like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

thebaz wrote: »
    it was heavy handed - end of - and I'm sure , or hope he is embarrassed by his actions - Sony Bill showed what class is

You didn't address any of the points I raised or expand at all on your own opinion. In fact you condensed your previous point and attached -end of- to it. If you have no interest in explaining your opinion or responding to mine then it would be easier to just say so, instead of -end of-.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Stheno wrote: »
    All the matches I've been at security are good at dealing with the crowd full stop.

Don't forget they may have been ultra aware SBW is one of very few players who are Muslim, and the kid was headed straight for him.

America!!! This is beyond ridiculous

Anyone.

Security are there to stop people doing things like that.

You don't have permission to level a kid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

A child... Really???

To quote Rodney Trotter (I think): He was a big lad for 13.

Not really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

America!!! This is beyond ridiculous

No actually it's not, the UK are currently on a very high security alert in relation to terrorism, this would have been a very high radar event for them full stop imo.

Kid just got the wrong end of it. As for not looking 14, he's nearly shoulder height to SBW

You don't have permission to level a kid

No, but as I said it was a split second reaction. If that hadn't been a kid, and it does happen, nobody would have thought anything of it.

https://twitter.com/hearsaysa/status/660589747807481856

Doesn't look they security let him talk to players,Sonny took over. Did he stop being a treat when Sonny told yer man to back off???

No actually it's not, the UK are currently on a very high security alert in relation to terrorism, this would have been a very high radar event for them full stop imo.

Kid just got the wrong end of it. As for not looking 14, he's nearly shoulder height to SBW

People would have been prevented from bringing anything dangerous into the ground.

What was he going to do overpower Sonny Bill??? Lolz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I reckon this kid will look back in years to come and realise that the security guard played his part in what will be a life long memory.

Feel a little sorry for the guy, he must be getting some ribbing from his friends. SBW is a hero, the kid has a world cup winners medal and a story to tell all his life ( I was that kid). None of which would have happened without the security guy.

Nice gesture all the same from SBW.

• Advertisement

People would have been prevented from bringing anything dangerous into the ground.

Ryan Lochte once got seriously injured by a fan trying to hug him. Missed a few months of swimming because of it. You can never be too careful :eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Were they searching everyone coming in?

Were they searching everyone coming in?

They bag searched people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

People aren't allowed to bring drugs or weapons into countries but they find a way. They are security, their job is to keep people off the pitch which they were trying to do. What if the kid had thumped Sonny Bill or had a knife hidden?

The Security guy is a jobsworth

Bridge93 wrote: »
    People aren't allowed to bring drugs or weapons into countries but they find a way. They are security, their job is to keep people off the pitch which they were trying to do. What if the kid had thumped Sonny Bill or had a knife hidden?

If he thumped Sonny Bill? He'd have gone "owe" and smiled at the lad.

Knives? How would get a knife past high alert UK security officials???

Its funny seeing him jumping out of the way scared. He has been running straight into enormous men all night and a child scares him :pac:

Its funny seeing him jumping out of the way scared. He has been running straight into enormous men all night and a child scares him :pac:

Quick reflexes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

If he thumped Sonny Bill? He'd have gone "owe" and smiled at the lad.

Knives? How would get a knife past high alert UK security officials???

I'm not talking about Sonny Bill's reaction in talking about the media/New Zealand etc that security let someone through because they're a kid.

They don't conduct full body searches. If you want to get a weapon in it is not overly difficult.

If it had been a 25 year old man running straight at him how would this be viewed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Efb, I'm not aware of any bag searches at the stadiums.

Also were they patting people down and doing body cavity searches?

A 12/13/14/15 year old kid in Syria running at you could be a suicide bomber, why doesn't it apply in the UK.

Security acted with instinct, wasn't heavy handed and only pushed the kid over. It could have been worse but the kid shouldn't have been there.

SBW more than made up for the security guards actions

• Advertisement

Efb, I'm not aware of any bag searches at the stadiums.

Also were they patting people down and doing body cavity searches?

A 12/13/14/15 year old kid in Syria running at you could be a suicide bomber, why doesn't it apply in the UK.

Security acted with instinct, wasn't heavy handed and only pushed the kid over. It could have been worse but the kid shouldn't have been there.

SBW more than made up for the security guards actions

they bag searched me... I've a beard, must have given off a terrorist vibe....

You think a suicide bomber gaining access to the stadium would be even feasible???

He was heavy handed.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    I'm not talking about Sonny Bill's reaction in talking about the media/New Zealand etc that security let someone through because they're a kid.

They don't conduct full body searches. If you want to get a weapon in it is not overly difficult.

If it had been a 25 year old man running straight at him how would this be viewed?

If it was a 76 year old woman... it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Hagz wrote: »
    You didn't address any of the points I raised or expand at all on your own opinion. In fact you condensed your previous point and attached -end of- to it. If you have no interest in explaining your opinion or responding to mine then it would be easier to just say so, instead of -end of-.

what , show solidarity with a heavy handed security guard who man handles a small over enthusiastic 15 year old paying in customer - how proud you must be of the security mans bravery - wonder would he be so brave dealing with same aged football hooligans at the Den - i hate ****ing bullies

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

it's not bravery or bullying, it's his job. he's not to allow anyone on the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

CatFromHue wrote: »
    it's not bravery or bullying, it's his job. he's not to allow anyone on the pitch

yes it is - what if the kid was 9 - a bully is bully - and Sony Bill saw right through his ****

CatFromHue wrote: »

Exactly.

You're not supposed to go on the pitch. Security is there to stop people going on the pitch. You go on the pitch you expect to get stopped by security. End of.

It's not like they pulled a gun and shot the kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

thebaz wrote: »
    yes it is - what if the kid was 9 - a bully is bully - and Sony Bill saw right through his ****

A bully enjoys picking on people I don't think the security guard took any pleasure out of doing his job yesterday.

The security guard was just doing his job.

A bully enjoys picking on people I don't think the security guard took any pleasure out of doing his job yesterday.

The security guard was just doing his job.

A jobsworth

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

The security man obviously had a right to stop the boy. However, his over-reaction by tackling him from behind was the problem. He just needed to usher him back and nobody would have paid any attention.

A similar situation occurred in an American classroom last week where a school security guard turned a table upside down to eject a female student who would not leave a classroom. The optics didn't look great. Just like seeing a bearded man rugby tackle a boy in front of a sellout crowd.

In each case they did not act professionally. This is all about people in power doing their job properly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Bit out of order to be calling the security guy a bully.
    Someone ran on the pitch and he reacted quickly.
    He tackled him. Big deal. Nobody got hurt.
    His job was obviously to keep people from getting near the players.
    I'd say some of you would let kids run riot and wreck your house instead of discipline! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement