Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Bill Williams

Options
  • 01-11-2015 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

What a selfless thing to do giving his winners medal to a kid in the crowd. Just saw the video of it and I'm gobsmacked. Will he regret it in years to come?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

archieknox wrote: »
    What a selfless thing to do giving his winners medal to a kid in the crowd. Just saw the video of it and I'm gobsmacked. Will he regret it in years to come?

nope he has one already as he said what are going to do with them ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm too much of a cynic to appreciate this tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

archieknox wrote: »

i think in many ways the actual medal means little to them, especially at that level who spend so much time together. I think the photos they take in the dressingroom etc will mean more because of what they achieved as a group of friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Jose Mourinho has given away his winners medal loads of times and nobody makes a big deal out of it.

Nice gesture by Williams but I think people are going a bit over board about it, it's only a medal and perhaps he'll be discreetly given a new one for himself to keep by the IRB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

He might be able to pick it up on eBay eventually anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'd imagine he'll be given a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

CatFromHue wrote: »

People love to hate him for the whole money chasing thing but apparently he's a good skin.

Seems like it anyway, that was a pretty big gesture and the kid looked like he thought Christmas came early!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Jose Mourinho has given away his winners medal loads of times and nobody makes a big deal out of it.

Nice gesture by Williams but I think people are going a bit over board about it, it's only a medal and perhaps he'll be discreetly given a new one for himself to keep by the IRB.

Ah in fairness a medal won by a coach is far less meaningful that a medal won by a player. Not to mention a world cup medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

it, it's only a medal and perhaps he'll be discreetly given a new one for himself to keep by the IRB.
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    I'd imagine he'll be given a replacement.

Why would he be given a new one?

Jesus, some cynics in here!

Can't people just appreciate a selfless gesture?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭OldRio

I'm an old cynical b@s()d myself but that was some gesture.

Bag of laughs around your house at Christmas?:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Because it seems like these days every tom dick and harry with any involvement with a team gets one so they are probably not all that valuable and they probably have had bucket loads of them in a drawer somewhere ready to be handed out.

I assume that his medal was not engraved with his name on it so it's just a mass produced lump of metal really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Regardless of whether he gets a replacement or not, it was an incredibly selfless thing to do!

For an event as tough as it is that only comes around every four years. I couldn't imagine giving one away if I was in his position!

What an amazing gesture!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I don't think you understand what the meaning of cynic is if you think my post was cynical.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I think this thread reflects the ideas behind the gesture....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭shootermacg

SBW is a class act, that is all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

OldRio wrote: »
    I'm an old cynical b@s()d myself but that was some gesture.

Bag of laughs around your house at Christmas?:D

Christmas? FFS it's only November! Bah humbug!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

I thought it was a lovely sporting moment all captured on video.

The poor security man thinks he did a great job rugby tackling a little boy in front of the All Blacks. It was a well timed tackle but, instead of being applauded for it by the greatest players in the world, he received withering looks of disgust.

And then the genuine affection Sonny had for the boy was really moving. It was a truly selfless act to give his medal to the boy. The sheer joy of the boy was a wonderful sight.

Sonny gave a great interview afterwards saying as players we are just normal people who happen to play rugby a little better than everyone else.

Following on from the kindness shown to the South African player after his defeat, this showed that Sonny is true class.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

lostatsea wrote: »

The poor security man thinks he did a great job rugby tackling a little boy in front of the All Blacks. It was a well timed tackle but, instead of being applauded for it by the greatest players in the world, he received withering looks of disgust.

And then the genuine affection Sonny had for the boy was really moving.

Sonny Bill is undoubted class , but that bearded security man, must go down as twat of the year - big man tackling a 12 year boy, everything that is wrong with some of todays private security - hope he feels rightly shamed for his act of cowardice

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

thebaz wrote: »
    Sonny Bill is undoubted class , but that bearded security man, must go down as twat of the year - big man tackling a 12 year boy, everything that is wrong with some of todays private security - hope he feels rightly shamed for his act of cowardice

that's his job, otherwise there'd be wide scale pitch invasions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

I'm not sure rugby tackling a 12 year old is in his job description.

I'd say it is

his actions were way out of proportion - a boisterous 12 year old fan hardly needs that level of aggression

his actions were way out of proportion - a boisterous 12 year old fan hardly needs that level of aggression

did you watch the clip?

it was the gentlest take down I've seen.

http://www.joe.ie/sport/video-full-footage-of-sonny-bill-williams-rescuing-young-fan-from-security-and-giving-him-his-medal/517683

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Wasn't even really a tackle, he was about to snot himself and took Charlie with him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Could someone edit the thread title?

Sony :D

I think the reaction to the guard's tackle is completely unjustified. He was very gentle in the way he took down the kid. What is he supposed to do? It's his job to make sure nobody invades the pitch. He doesn't have time to assess the age/gender/intentions of the teenager. If he didn't take down the kid as quickly as possible then he would be terrible at his job and should have been reprimanded. He doesn't deserve any abuse or grief and I hope he hasn't.

The kid was 15 years old by the way.

Hagz wrote: »
    I think the reaction to the guard's tackle is completely unjustified. He was very gentle in the way he took down the kid. What is he supposed to do? It's his job to make sure nobody invades the pitch. He doesn't have time to assess the age/gender/intentions of the teenager. If he didn't take down the kid as quickly as possible then he would be terrible at his job and should have been reprimanded. He doesn't deserve any abuse or grief and I hope he hasn't.

The kid was 15 years old by the way.

regardless , totally heavy handed over-reaction - the minor was hardly a threat to professional adult athletes - youthful exuberance , and over the top security over re-action - hat off to Sony Bill - class act

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

regardless , totally heavy handed over-reaction - the minor was hardly a threat to professional adult athletes - youthful exuberance , and over the top security over re-action - hat off to Sony Bill - class act
    It wasn't heavy handed. His job, likely voluntary, was to make sure there's no crowd trouble. If one youngster legging it onto the pitch isn't intimidating to boxer SBW that's great but they have to maintain crowd safety and a softer approach would certainly have encouraged loads more people to chance their arm and hop the boarding, which is where the problems really start.

The mountain of bollockings he's getting is unfair and you could even see him taking one from Milner-Skudder at the time. What else is he meant to do? Kindly ask a sprinting teen to stop?

I know it seems dry-****e to defend a man tackling a teen but he was in the right.

• Advertisement

And what exactly about it was heavy handed? I would urge you to watch the clip again. You can quite clearly see that the guard didn't follow through with his tackle and made an effort to avoid landing on the young man. He simply threw him to the grass. Given the short amount of time he had to restrain the young man he did all he could do in the least aggressive manner. He doesn't deserve any grief at all for what he did.

Also, you have no idea whether the young man is a threat until after the incident. You can assume the young man has good intentions all you like, but it is irresponsible to act on an assumption in such a situation. You have to neutralise the threat and then you can assess the intentions. The young man could have been furious that his Australian team lost and wanted to take out his aggression by biting a New Zealand player. However farfetched that may seem, you can't be sure of anything in a split second situation like that. You don't have time to see if it's a minor or if it's a threat. You have to act and that's what he did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement