Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2016 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I got a dhb workout top from Wiggle in a size 16 (I was a 10-12 before and already had the same top in a 12) when I was around 12 weeks along and it's done me for the gym up to now (29+4) - it was only around £5.50 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I am Kerry, so needs to be as close as possible for travelling. Cork seems to be the best option for now. I was in Dorothy Perkins in Killarney, which is quite a big store, but they have discontinued their maternity wear! New look had a tiny little rail of maternity, nothing of which I liked! I am hoping H&M have a nice range in Cork, its the skinny jeans I want as that's what I mainly wear anyway. I might get a bootleg pair too, but not too pushed.

I was trying to find a workout top today that wasn't too clingy as I'm starting Pilates and everything is so tight! I ended up getting a long sleeve top in Penney's but in a large! I'll do for now. I am missing my high intensity work outs, so looking forward to doing something again! I will also start back at a bit of swimming and hopefully walking if this rain will ever go away!

A lot of the shops seem to be 'maternity online only', you can order into the shops but they don't have anything instore which is a PITA :mad: Of the lot, I like H&M's stuff the best for casual/work (apart from the skinny jeans-they're not me At All), Next for jeans/trousers, Dorothy Perkins was the only one that had any coats that would work for casual/dressy and I kept an eye on TK Maxx for dresses as they had quite a few that were empire-line and they had a few dressy tops mixed in through their regular stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Well I'm a right eejit. Turned up for my nunchal scan at 2 o clock. Place is all closed down. Then see they close at 1. Check my mutterpass and yes my appointment was for 1. So there goes my opportunity for a scan!

The stupid place doesn't even have voicemail so I couldn't leave a message to reschedule to even get a basic appointment next week.

I'm quite upset. I was really ready to see the baby again and now it might be another 2 weeks. I could have easily double checked the time earlier in the day but didn't. My husband even took the day off work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Well I'm a right eejit. Turned up for my nunchal scan at 2 o clock. Place is all closed down. Then see they close at 1. Check my mutterpass and yes my appointment was for 1. So there goes my opportunity for a scan!

The stupid place doesn't even have voicemail so I couldn't leave a message to reschedule to even get a basic appointment next week.

I'm quite upset. I was really ready to see the baby again and now it might be another 2 weeks. I could have easily double checked the time earlier in the day but didn't. My husband even took the day off work.

Ah CRAP! I would ring first thing on Monday and try to get it rescheduled?

The nunchal scan can't happen now. Has to be done between 12 -14 weeks and I was 14 yesterday so already cutting it fine.

Yeah they just never have appointments. Really busy so could be ages til I get a reg one.

Just feel so stupid :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

The nunchal scan can't happen now. Has to be done between 12 -14 weeks and I was 14 yesterday so already cutting it fine.

Yeah they just never have appointments. Really busy so could be ages til I get a reg one.

Just feel so stupid :(

Oh dear, sorry to hear about that. How frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

Just back from my booking appointment - what a waste of time. Hubby took morning off, thinking we would be about an hour. Queue at reception, wee in in tube. Wait. They look at wee, weigh me and take my height. Wait. Register with nurse. Wait. Get bloods taken. Wait. Talk to consultant who asks the same questions as nurse.
    We were in at 9.40 for a 9.50 appointment. Out of there at 1pm. Such a waste of everyone's time. Why not give us the forms, we can fill them all in and return them, give them urine samples, take bloods and have a quick chat with nurses about any concerns.
    Anyway, I've decided to go with the midwives clinic - should be much quicker from now on, no need to see consultants unless I need them.
    I have to do a glucose test because I'm over 30. I'm booked in for the end of April. The nurse advised that its tough, the procedure takes a lot out of you. Anyone else booked in for that?
    The consultant advised that I should be called to the midwives clinic at about week 18. And I'm booked for my next scan at week 21. Glucose test at about 28 weeks. Antenatal classes start at about week 29 (3 classes booked). That's all I can think of now.

What hospital are you with sonandmoon? I know my husband took the mornign off on my first pregnancy when I registered in the coombe at about 20 weeks. But I knew he couldn't coem in because they ask you about abuse etc. we had an 8am appointment and were out before 10 I think.

I did a glucose test last time as my dad has type 2. You have to fast from 9pm the night before so I was quite weak going in at 9am. Husband had to drive me. Then it was a 3 hour wait drinking nothing but warm lucozade. Was horrible but I survived. Make sure you have a sandwich for after lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

What hospital are you with sonandmoon? I know my husband took the mornign off on my first pregnancy when I registered in the coombe at about 20 weeks. But I knew he couldn't coem in because they ask you about abuse etc. we had an 8am appointment and were out before 10 I think.

I did a glucose test last time as my dad has type 2. You have to fast from 9pm the night before so I was quite weak going in at 9am. Husband had to drive me. Then it was a 3 hour wait drinking nothing but warm lucozade. Was horrible but I survived. Make sure you have a sandwich for after lol!

I'm in UHG. They said it was particularly bad because of the Christmas break. They had 17 people an hour booked in instead of the usual 10.

Yea she said to fast from midnight and Id be in there doing first bloods at about 830am, so I don't think it will be too much of a struggle! Except because I force myself to have something in the morning during pregnancy, I wouldn't usually eat until lunchtime anyway, so I should be able to manage it for one morning. She said to bring a book because there's lots of waiting around, and to drink way more water than usual in the preceding days.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bingwhoosh

I'm booked for the glucose test too, I think I've to fast from 8pm the evening before, not even a sip of water. I'm dreading it but suppose it has to be done. I'm surprised you were told its because you are over 30, I hadn't to do it the last time but because I'm over 40 now is why I have to have it done. Being over 40 sucks as I can't do the midwife led clinic either.

How's everyone sickness at this stage, I was fine for about a week but got sick the last two mornings, i'm 14 + 3 so really thought it was gone for good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

I had the glucose tolerance test last week. I had my first blood taken at 8am and given 2 cups of syrup water (not to pleasant) then my blood was taken 3 more times in hourly intervals. The hospital phoned that afto and told me I had gestational diabetes. I have to have 4 injections a day and test my blood sugar 7 times a day. Was back in the hospital today to meet the diabetic consultant. Going to be in every 3 weeks for the rest of my pregnancy

I still have the sickness, it's getting me down big time as its showing no sign of getting better and I'm no fun to be around. I'm definitely not enjoying being pregnant!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

A glucose test hasn't been mentioned to me, is this normal?

I am feeling no sickness at all this week, I feel far better now. I don't even have the metallic taste in my mouth anymore, and my boobs aren't half as tender as they were! Just the tiredness left!

I started pilates last night, good to get back to doing something. Interesting to learn things that I should & shouldn't do. I didn't look pregnant compared to the rest of the ladies! I'd say everyone else there was much futher along than me!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The glucose tolerance test in UHG was grand, just boring waiting around so bring a book or your kindle.

Just don't do what I did and get up at 5am half asleep and neck 3/4 pint of Mi-Wadi before you remember you are supposed to be fasting. :o

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ciarrai - my hospital only makes you do it if you're over 35, BMI > 30 at booking or have a family history of diabetes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Ciarrai - my hospital only makes you do it if you're over 35, BMI > 30 at booking or have a family history of diabetes.

ah I see, I should be ok so, although I am 39, but there's no history of diabetes in my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

I'm also taking the glucose test at 26 weeks. Seems to be the norm on here! I'm taking as my father has diabetes but maybe it's also my age..39. The midwife passed it off as a little matter..I didn't realise that it might take a bit out of me..must ask a few more questions next time I met her.
    I'm feeling pretty good this week! Energy levels way back up! I've had a few pelvic/abdominal twinges but presume that's just "things" stretching.
    Great to have some blue skies and sunshine back too!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

I had the glucose test done a few weeks ago in Sligo because my mum had diabetes. Mine was for 8.30 am but didn't actually get seen until 9.15. Fasting for 12 hours before, naturally there was the nicest food everywhere I looked around the house the night before lol Blood sample taken, given syrupy drink, blood sample taken an hour later and then again two hours later. Depending on how busy it is, I was told there might be a bed for me to lie down on but there was three of us at the same time so no bed, only seats in the waiting area. Didn't really need it tbh, definitely bring a book tho or something to occupy yourself for the time. Didn't find it that tough, went for a really nice lunch with himself afterwards to make up for the fasting. Results came back 2 days later, all clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Hi ladies, just read through this whole thread, and glad to post that I'm joining you. Due 28th July according to early scan. This will be our second, as I already have a 2.5 year old. Terrible nausea like everyone else here it seems. Really bored of it now! Cannot brush my teeth without retching. I'm 11.5 weeks so hopefully reaching the stage where this fatigue and nausea stop soon. Also smothered with a headcold right now which is not helping. Really excited for July though, and really hoping it's a little lady as last pregnancy gave us our little man. I got so much support from the 'Due April 2013' thread, and I'm so happy to join up again with this one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭shanek248

hi everyone, just wondering if anyone knows at what week the Coombe usually sees you for the booking-in visit?

Usually around 12 weeks? But that's if you send in the paperwork around 6 weeks. Might be later depending on demand. Did you get a letter with an appointment?

• Advertisement

we had a little browse in Mothercare today to see what they have in prams & prices. yikes they aren't cheap! lol

A shop assistant was helpful though and explained what's needed etc. We have a better idea of what we need and don't need now. I have another more local store to look in though. We have a small budget so need to choose wisely!

Usually around 12 weeks? But that's if you send in the paperwork around 6 weeks. Might be later depending on demand. Did you get a letter with an appointment?

no nothing sent in yet. do you think there would be any point in me suggesting a time/day that suits? can i reschedule if they send me an appointment that doesnt suit?

shanek248 wrote: »
    no nothing sent in yet. do you think there would be any point in me suggesting a time/day that suits? can i reschedule if they send me an appointment that doesnt suit?

I don't think you can request the time & date, they send it out to you and you can ring and change it if it doesn't suit...that's what I did.

It was my GP that sent in the paperwork to the hospital, so that's probably who you should see first.

Your doc will either send in the paper work or I think you can actually download the form yourself from the coombe website?

Ciaarrai, travel systems are very expensive! We got one though and I'm still using it at 2 hrs old. My heavy boy is over the weight limit for his stroller that we bought for holidays etc.

There's loads of great threads on here about what buggy to get for different circumstances. Some people love them some people hate them.

Another thing is car seats. The infant seats usually go to 13kg. But before you buy a seat you should have a peek at extended rear facing. The law currently states that babies can go forward facing from 9mths/9kg. This is really dangerous! There's a new law being run in parallel that says babies need to be rear facing til 15mths but it'll be a while before the old law runs out.

But anyway basically it's 5 times safer for your child to be rear facing til 4 yrs old. So if you think that's soemthing you believe in you should look at seats that go from birth to 18kg or 23kg rear facing. They are expensive seats but if you get one from birth the costs aren't as high because the one seat lasts 4-6 yrs

Sorry for the essay! Just places like mothercare aren't usually as informed. Tony kealys are better but don't have many shops.

Thanks Ciarrai76, i went straight to rotunda last time, didnt see the point in going to GP first as Ive no health issues so will save the cash i think. I suppose i will change it if it doesnt suit then. Pity its not online like the NCT system! :)

shanek248 wrote: »
    Thanks Ciarrai76, i went straight to rotunda last time, didnt see the point in going to GP first as Ive no health issues so will save the cash i think. I suppose i will change it if it doesnt suit then. Pity its not online like the NCT system! :)

If your GP is part of the free gp maternity care then you won't have to pay, you get free visits for your pregnancy. Check it out as a lot of GP's are signed up to it. Its called the Maternity & Infant care scheme. I didn't even know it existed when I got pregnant. I was about to pay my GP when he told me its covered. Its something like 6 visits. I don't have health issues either, but your GP keeps an eye on your general health and blood pressure etc, in between hospital visits.

Lidl have some baby & maternity stuff in-store from tomorrow (11th Jan)
    http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=687

Oh that quilt looks gorgeous! And those baby trousers! Also pick up one or two of those mattress protectors! Brill if your waters break in the night, and then later if you have a sick baby in your bed with you, to protect your mattress!

How's everyone doing today ladies. My horrible headcold thing has eased, but just a cough left, which isn't helping with the retching, sorry tmi! Trying to rearrange my 12 week scan now on the phone today as I need to change the appointment. Food is becoming a tiny bit more appealing this week - I'm not having the same aversion to stuff I used to like.

• Advertisement

Woo just managed to change it to Friday week, counting down the days til we get to see our little bub for the first time, also fingers crossed he/she is okay and in good health etc :D

Advertisement