Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Ozvaldo

I dont believe it wont happen

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I see the word designs again in the article. This will be the best designed building in Cork. At least it said Live Nation had completed the detailed design....after how many years? Hopefully it's progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Obviously Live Nation are the owners of the event centre, and from their perspective, there’s none like it in the world, it is a venue that has never been created before according to the Live Nation personnel,” Ms Doherty said.

Had a good chuckle at that.

I dont think the venue is financially viable with the huge increase in building costs and the way acts have altered touring schedules to avoid smaller venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Who's going to own this after construction ? I know its not the state .

But is live nation going to be the sole owner or just the operator.?

I assume that between the increased site value ,and the increased construction costs that this is going to be 1 expensive building to complete - which makes me think it wont be a venue that council funding (plus interest) and state top ups just wont keep up with costs .. and obviously bam are in no rush ..

And i dont begrudge the cost for plans ect -its a big complex project - that costs -

a bit pissed that the state is on the hook for that and not the developer/ owner who says wether the construction starts or not ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Literally won't believe it until I'm standing in there at a gig with a pint in my hand, and even then I'll assume it's just a dream.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Another sod turning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭kub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭thomil

At least we got a bit of a better understanding what the "detailed planning" involved. But in general I agree, this is a big pile of nothing.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Its not going to happen folks.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

That word designs again!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't understand why some people appear to take such pleasure in repeating this.

I take zero pleasure in saying it, I would love for it to be built but I'm a realist and all the data points to it not being built.

Constructions costs have skyrocketed.

Small Arenas in the UK and Europe are struggling massively since Covid. Touring schedules have changed and small arenas are losing out.

Bam are reported to be looking to leave the country.

Why is the design constantly being altered, why are there so many delays.

It all points to the project being pullled, they are likely finalising the official excuse.

At this point, I'd just like to see all that derelict land put to use, event centre or not. Same with the site on George's/Sullivan's quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Well, now, that a much more measured post with reasoning and information. It's a world away from the valueless "never gonna happen" shtick.

While all of what you say makes sense, I wonder why there continues to be big money spent on a project that's due to be canned. That the bit that doesn't add up to me.

I still maintain that people absolutely love saying, "not going to happen", in situations like this. It's got a real, "I tell it like it is" vibe!

I suspect the developer will try to convert the site for apartments instead which would be far more profitable.

Its all just politics are optics pretending its going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭thomil

To be honest, as much of a shame as it would be, if we could get a block of four or five story apartments for the site, that's something I could at least live with. It would still be preferable to another empty office block or a barren site.

Still hope that the Events Centre actually goes ahead.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The big advantage Cork would have over other similar sized UK venues is pulling artists who are going to 3Arena anyway, if an artist is bringing the show to Ireland it will often be worth their while to tack on a Cork date even though the venue is smaller. A lot of the similarly sized UK venues either have no operator or an operator without a large presence in the UK. AEG and ASM don't directly operate medium sized venues in the UK and tie up the market for the larger venues. Live Nations biggest venue in the UK is Sheffield which has tiny pull compared to Dublin. The model Live Nation are going for in Cork is very different to any venue in the UK, which is reflected in the language used by Cork City council around how unique the venue is.

Im with you on construction costs, they will make or break the project. Its more likely than not they kill it. However I don't think the project is dead yet, once/if this is killed the costs spent on getting nowhere will be scrutinised, there is no way that Cork City council would be spending money on detailed design or wasting their time with planning if the project was already scrapped.

Probably would be student apartments which wouldn't be much use to be honest.

The whole saga is a sorry mess and stuff like this leaves people extremely cynical when any new announcements are made. Wasn't there a big announcement by Micheal Martin a few years ago that a new city library and revamp of Grand Parade was on the way? Haven't heard a thing since.

I think 6000 capacity for Cork is too small to attract the big acts that would play the 3Arena.

If an act is popular enough to sell out the full configuration of the 3Arena, 14,000, then adding a second night in Dublin is more appealing that another night in Cork for 6000.

For medium acts that would not be able to sell out the full 3Arena configuration, 6000 more tickets to sell might be a stretch and a promoter might not risk it.

Cardiff Arena in Cardiff is probably the closest venue in capacity to the Event Centre in Cork, but that is the capital of Wales and would have a larger catchment area than Cork.

I'm not sure I like the ownership arrangement either, with the Govt paying most of the cost and not retaining ownership.

Most councils in the UK build the venue then rent it back to the venue operator for a cost.

For example the new venue in Cardiff, The original financing model would have its cost effectively covered by the council utilising its prudential borrowing powers to draw down £170m of long-term repayable finance through the UK Government’s Public Works Loan Board (PWLB) and Live Nation then entering into a 45-year rental agreement. The rental income would cover the council’s borrowing costs.

The SEC in Glasgow is 90.86% owned by Glasgow City Council (GCC) and 9.14% by a number of private institutions, such as banks, pension funds and insurance companies.

It's just laughable at this stage. Would someone just officially kills this off??

"City councillors were told last night that the completion of the detailed designs for the proposed 6,000-capacity venue, which is in line for some €57m in State investment, has resulted in a cost increase.

Talks about the increased costs are ongoing, and a revised timeline for delivery cannot be provided until those talks are completed, they were told."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If the gov and city council are on the hook for the design and planning costs , then the design project can go on for-ever ,

Is the site subject to the vacant site levy ( or whatever its called )

I can see a drastically scaled down development with a lot less event centre and a load of student accommodation ( or offices or whatever is flavour of the month) obviously after another redesign, but managing to use all the available government cash for the build , ( and then some )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 7 opencurtin

The business people of Cork got behind the BAM bid over the Owen O Callaghan tender this was a big mistake IMO?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I’m not sure why BAM get all the blame? The city council are the project managers and Live Nation demanded the redesign to increase capacity. The fact that the initial planning permission and contracts were signed before consultation with Live Nation is 100% on the city council.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

That’s a big claim to be throwing out, construction to commence within the next 3.5 months.

Fingers crossed it’s true. It really is now or never

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I think with an election looming, they'll get it started next year.

Advertisement