Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray Darcy Show 24th October

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Seanachai wrote: »
    Some of what Edmonds says does come across as being very twee but that's definitely not the way to deal with it, live and let live. Again he's taking the position of some sort of holier-than-thou figure who's there to scoff on behalf of people who think like him. He always seems to be riding on the wave of whatever right-on public opinion is currently popular, he was also cutting at Charlene McKenna about the background details of the neanderthals which seemed very petty. From what I remember he may have been wrong in what he was saying about the subject also.

I think Edmonds is very eccentric myself and that he has some quite barmy opinions. But if I was interviewing him, I wouldn't let any of this creep into the interview and knock it off balance. Edmonds was intelligent enough to pick up on the fact that D'Arcy didn't like him and the interview went downhill from there : things became tetchy and there was an 'atmosphere.

It doesn't cost anything to be polite and courteous when interviewing someone, even if you think your guest is a bit barmy.

When he said "never" I'm assuming he would allow for once in 38 years about a very controversial individual who has had links with terrorist organizations. It is interesting that Byrne did do that however, good point but I don't think it refutes what he said.

For sure, there was the occasional interview where Byrne's dislike for the guest came across but these were comparatively rare (ditto with Pat Kenny). With D'Arcy, it already seems to be a common theme : he's almost bordering on rude at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

The more I think of it, you can make a strong case for that Darcy show being the worst episode of any show in RTE history, and that is some feat.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,020 ✭✭✭✭walshb

NufcNavan wrote: »
    The more I think of it, you can make a strong case for that Darcy show being the worst episode of any show in RTE history, and that is some feat.

It is definitely up there. Only the Imelda May show beats it of the recent crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,877 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I just don't know what people ever saw in D'Arcy. He is a POOR presenter who ran out of talent in 1993.

RTE pay him a serious wedge of licence fee must surely be called into question. Although he'd be head of a decently long queue...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

NufcNavan wrote: »

Ardal O' Hanlon was very good in spite of D'Arcy.

You'd struggle to come up with anyone worse for the job than D'Arcy. I was thinking Daniel O' Donnell, but that would be a disservice to him. Unless you're going to put Blonaid herself on there, or a particularly loopy Derek Mooney would also be bad. Brian Ormond would be a godsend at this stage. Twink.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I just don't know what people ever saw in D'Arcy. He is a POOR presenter who ran out of talent in 1993.

RTE pay him a serious wedge of licence fee must surely be called into question. Although he'd be head of a decently long queue...

If he was a big TV star, he would have been one for the last 20 or 25 years. The idea that they think they can turn him into one in his fifties is madness.

It seems the rumours about RTE wanting him to eventually take over The Late Late Show were / are quite serious (though whether they're still thinking that after the fiasco of the last few weeks is anyone's guess).

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

walshb wrote: »
    It is definitely up there. Only the Imelda May show beats it of the recent crap.

I agree there, I think the E May show has to one of the most cringe of cringe along with all the unknowns that she has on with all the diddle eye deedeee rubbish.

I think Ray is fine on Radio though you can have enough of him some times..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

It's weird about Ray though because I think he is a naturally curious and questioning type who you'd assume would make a good interviewer. That's Tubridy's main problem from what I can see, he is'nt REALLY interested, even when it comes to his rare quality guests. He's just there to play the "welcome to Oirland be gob, were ya drinkin de Guinness ya were" card and other tiresome bullshít. Ray just gives ya the feeling he knows this was a terrible idea and he's sorry to everyone watching. Which is decent and honest of him but................ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Strazdas wrote: »
    I think Edmonds is very eccentric myself and that he has some quite barmy opinions. But if I was interviewing him, I wouldn't let any of this creep into the interview and knock it off balance. Edmonds was intelligent enough to pick up on the fact that D'Arcy didn't like him and the interview went downhill from there : things became tetchy and there was an 'atmosphere.

It doesn't cost anything to be polite and courteous when interviewing someone, even if you think your guest is a bit barmy.

Iirc, that was the interview in which Ray asked Edmonds what the lowest point
    of his career was, to receive the reply: 'This interview'!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭tinpib

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Having listened to Ardal on An Irishman Abroad and seen him live I have to say he's a very engaging character so that was just terrible.

Jarlath Regan, who does the Irishman Abroad podcast, is the type of chap a forward thinking exec on BBC 2/3/4 or Channel 4 would risk giving a chat show to and a star could be born.

RTE gives 50 yr old Ray D'arcy his big break on telly.

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Iirc, that was the interview in which Ray asked Edmonds what the lowest point
    of his career was, to receive the reply: 'This interview'!! :D

Yes! Edmonds was on to talk about the dangers of what he calls "electro smog" ie. he reckons that signals from mobile phones and wifi etc are making people unwell. D'Arcy couldn't disguise the fact that he regarded Edmonds as a crank and a nutjob, Edmonds picked up on it and the interview became very tetchy.

D'Arcy seems surprisingly intolerant. If there's someone on he doesn't like, he starts asking blunt and some would even say rude questions.....he can be quite abrasive and almost confrontational.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

D'arcy even managed to stink up Republic of Telly tonight as even though they were taking the piss out of him it was still cringe worthy as their source material was awful television.

I agree there, I think the E May show has to one of the most cringe of cringe along with all the unknowns that she has on with all the diddle eye deedeee rubbish.

I think Ray is fine on Radio though you can have enough of him some times..

For mickey mouse radio he's grand. When I think of Ray and some others on radio in Ireland I just think of mickey mouse amateurish DJs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Strazdas wrote: »
    Yes! Edmonds was on to talk about the dangers of what he calls "electro smog" ie. he reckons that signals from mobile phones and wifi etc are making people unwell. D'Arcy couldn't disguise the fact that he regarded Edmonds as a crank and a nutjob, Edmonds picked up on it and the interview became very tetchy.

D'Arcy seems surprisingly intolerant. If there's someone on he doesn't like, he starts asking blunt and some would even say rude questions.....he can be quite abrasive and almost confrontational.

He's like the inverse of Brendan O' Connor, who you'd think superficially he was a comedian and might be a bit dangerous.... but when it comes to a person's beliefs he's a very respectful and super cautious interviewer no matter how absurd the guest is. He'd even give out to the audience if they started laughing and defend the guest.

He's like the inverse of Brendan O' Connor, who you'd think superficially he was a comedian and might be a bit dangerous.... but when it comes to a person's beliefs he's a very respectful and super cautious interviewer no matter how absurd the guest is. He'd even give out to the audience if they started laughing and defend the guest.

Indeed, Brendan seems much more of a people person, actually quite warm and capable of being thoughtful and serious too. I don't think I can recall any of his interviews going off the rails because of a dodgy interviewing style.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

have to say Ray got destroyed on the republic of telly this week, more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I'm a guest this week.

have to say Ray got destroyed on the republic of telly this week, more than once.

That on the player? Can you post the link?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

It's being repeated on RTE2 at 11pm tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

lol I actually felt they spent too long taking the piss out of him as it, the Ray D'arcy show, was so cringey

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/republic-of-telly-1542/10484521/

7.30 mins in....also they have a repeating voice over saying "welcome to rte, you must not mention pantigate, denis obrien, you must like the ray darcy show...." etc

"graham norton must be f**in raaagin"

• Registered Users Posts: 81,706 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Jack Nicholson impersonator was someone you would bring on the Republic Of Telly, what the feck were they thinking bringing him on to a prime time show and then even worse introducing him as the real deal, proper childish amateurism you would see on some crappy Youtube channel and not a state broadcaster, I would think Jack would have grounds to sue over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Just watched it.

Ray - It wasn't my idea, It wasn't my idea, It wasn't my idea.

It was your idea, Ray. You were on the radio show asking people to track him down earlier that week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

The Jack Nicholson impersonator was someone you would bring on the Republic Of Telly, what the feck were they thinking bringing him on to a prime time show and then even worse introducing him as the real deal, proper childish amateurism you would see on some crappy Youtube channel and not a state broadcaster, I would think Jack would have grounds to sue over it.

Even if Ray morphed into the second incarnation of parkinson overnight there is no way back for this steaming turd after they stooped that low this early. How can they be so thin on ideas right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

The audience gave him a standing ovation lol "jackie"

"next week ray will be joined by a cardboard cutout of Arnie and a dog that looks like Gregory Peck"
    R.O.T.

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Bad news....I've been pulled from the show.

When the researcher spoke to me he thought I said that I was eating sweets and a "Rolo" had dropped to the ground. ..it was actually a "Polo".

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/republic-of-telly-1542/10484521/

7.30 mins in....also they have a repeating voice over saying "welcome to rte, you must not mention pantigate, denis obrien, you must like the ray darcy show...." etc

"graham norton must be f**in raaagin"

Fook me, the show is worse than I thought......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I felt sorry for the guy who stood up to clap when he saw him walking on :P. I allowed myself to think for a few seconds that maybe it was him and he was around Dub and they just managed to grab him for the show. I can't see the show lasting if it keeps going the way it is.

• Advertisement

I thought Ardal handled it well, he was playing along, and at the same time making faces at the camera/audience to suggest he felt this was the worst possible situation to be in..

Advertisement