Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray Darcy Show 24th October

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I knew I wouldn't be able to watch Ray, (even for the thread), so I've steered clear so far. I watched the painful interview with Bruce Jones, last week, and that was it, for me. I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

LynnGrace wrote: »
    I knew I wouldn't be able to watch Ray, (even for the thread), so I've steered clear so far. I watched the painful interview with Bruce Jones, last week, and that was it, for me. I'm out.

LynnG, we could have met up!!....I did exactly the same!....:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

LynnG, we could have met up!!....I did exactly the same!....:D:D:D

Now that would have been fun gsw. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Anyone else feel a bit lost on the night before a bank holiday, when there's no work tomorrow, but no thread (erm...I mean chat show) tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Anyone else feel a bit lost on the night before a bank holiday, when there's no work tomorrow, but no thread (erm...I mean chat show) tonight?

Why dont you watch a repeat of Ray Darcy, it would be like a 'Zanax', lol...!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm really shocked at how bad this is going for Ray D'Arcy. Saw the one where he challenged the model to a press up off, and just saw the Jack Nicholson look alike interview. It's not good at all, and he seems to know it. What else is he to do but press on?

I'd say there's crises meetings going on now. He simply has to change his attitude and somehow hide his feelings! He can't seem to hide his dislike for some things! Can't help but feel sorry for him, I can't see the ego telling himself that everything's ok. He's a professional and I'd say there's sleepless nights. Always thought his wife was his saving grace on the radio show. Constantly pulling him back from the brink, keeping him in check and not letting him run away with himself.

It's almost worth watching for the cringe/car crash factor!away with himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

He should get Niki Byrne infor a chat...!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'm really shocked at how bad this is going for Ray D'Arcy. Saw the one where he challenged the model to a press up off, and just saw the Jack Nicholson look alike interview. It's not good at all, and he seems to know it. What else is he to do but press on?

I'd say there's crises meetings going on now. He simply has to change his attitude and somehow hide his feelings! He can't seem to hide his dislike for some things! Can't help but feel sorry for him, I can't see the ego telling himself that everything's ok. He's a professional and I'd say there's sleepless nights. Always thought his wife was his saving grace on the radio show. Constantly pulling him back from the brink, keeping him in check and not letting him run away with himself.

I cant imagine that there is any crisis talks. RTE dont do failure, he will be back next year saying it was a shaky start but he has upped his game and other little sayings from Tubs yearly interview from before the start of the LLS.

The real winner out of this is Tubs, got rid of a credible rival and now made to look semi competent by Darcy.

As time goes on, I am beginning to think that as Father Ted was a satire of the Irish priesthood, Alan partridge was a satire of Irish talkshows:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm not.

Before he even had a show he was already in trouble as people just didn't want him to take over Brendan O'Connor's show. So anything he did was always going to be looked at with with negative eyes first.

Then there's the fact that the show itself is only ok, at least the one I saw anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Some thoughts:

What the hell happened to Ray D'arcy, the smiley perma laughing puppet wrangler from the days of The Den? He was so enthusiastic back then, the world was an exciting place full of wonder......
    Now he's grey/bald, looks like someones just told him he has a terminal illness and conducts interviews as if he's constantly thinking about his terminal illness.

Also, why in a country as small as Ireland, with almost zero ability to attract big name chat show guests, is there TWO chat shows on the national broadcaster every weekend? I means its not like we still live in 2 channel land where people have to watch whatever bilge is put in front of them. The complete awfulness of RTE's chat shows are plainly obvious when we can compare them to the Brits output.
    Will we watch any old shít in this country? Are a few RTE lifers and misery slot all we need to get us excited on a Friday night.

This is an unfathomable cultural anomaly. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Agricola wrote: »
    Now he's grey/bald

The man has aged, it happens to all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Expunge

Anyone know what sort of audience numbers it's getting?

It's just that we know how shoite Tubridy and the LLS production has been for quite a few years now and the numbers watching, as far as I know, are respectable.

I fear the same will be true of this unspeakable horror of a tv show.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

donvito99 wrote: »
    The man has aged, it happens to all of us.
    It does, but it doesn't have to follow that one goes grey and bald between the ears. He's like guys I knew where growing into looking like an oulfella matched their longer term inner reality of being an oulfella at twenty.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Wibbs wrote: »
    It does, but it doesn't have to follow that one goes grey and bald between the ears. He's like guys I knew where growing into looking like an oulfella matched their longer term inner reality of being an oulfella at twenty.

I think Ray D'Arcy aged fine physically. He didn't put on any weight and I really don't know what you are talking about "matched their longer term inner reality". Are you suggesting he should use techniques to avoid going bald/gray?
    Some thoughts:

What the hell happened to Ray D'arcy, the smiley perma laughing puppet wrangler from the days of The Den? He was so enthusiastic back then, the world was an exciting place full of wonder......
    Now he's grey/bald, looks like someones just told him he has a terminal illness and conducts interviews as if he's constantly thinking about his terminal illness.

In a way this is a terrible thing to say but, I've wondered if D'Arcy at some point got a bad virus or bad turn of medication, got a bad blow or something like that. Because it's a real anomaly to me as well. I never had anything but good memories of him from childhood, though of course that could be unreliable.

Something that damages him also is that his voice is really weak or something, he can't make anything sound exciting. EVERYTHING that comes out of his mouth sounds awful boring. I was listening to him talking up the show after the news or whatever on Saturday night in the "coming up" segment, and it sounded really ridiculous. I think he doesn't have the vocal ability to "shout" properly. It's almost like he was never allowed to shout growing up and has never developed the vocal chords for it.
    Also, why in a country as small as Ireland, with almost zero ability to attract big name chat show guests, is there TWO chat shows on the national broadcaster every weekend? I means its not like we still live in 2 channel land where people have to watch whatever bilge is put in front of them. The complete awfulness of RTE's chat shows are plainly obvious when we can compare them to the Brits output.
    Will we watch any old shít in this country? Are a few RTE lifers and misery slot all we need to get us excited on a Friday night.

This is an unfathomable cultural anomaly. :confused:

I know there are lots that would disagree with me on this but I think sometimes Norton and Ross try too hard to be funny. Give me Brendan O' Connor with the same guests most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I liked him on the den and all the other shows years ago even when he started off in today fm he was enjoyable to listen to.But about 10 years ago he got to become boresome with the same claptrap day in day out ,it is a new level though to bring his blandness to prime saturday night viewing .There is no hope i will be caught watching this mediocrity again in a hurry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

Miss Salley the posh totty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Just caught replay of the show on RTE now. The Father TED Scene was painful. If anyone listened to his Today Fm show, he made a few Love/hate actresses recreate scenes with him. i was never sure if it had been organised beforehand. He always does and did ask the star on air so they could never say NO without seemingly like a grumpy old bollix who darcy would give out about for weeks on end. I do think he has become a man incapable of taking constructive criticism or advice He reminds me of that famous principal Skinner quote from Simpsons.

post-46140-am-I-out-of-touch-no-its-the-c-BPbl.jpeg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I just watched it back, the Father Ted scene, and it was bad.

It came across as neither Ardal or Ray wanted to do it and were both very uncomfortable in it!

Having listened to Ardal on An Irishman Abroad and seen him live I have to say he's a very engaging character so that was just terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

What has the great Ray lined up for next week.....Brian O Driscoll, well actually it'll be an interview with the pumpkin carved into BOD's head.

Audience should have got up and walked out..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I was cringing watching D'Arcy interview Neil Strauss, he decided to camp on the moral high ground and came across as being very judgmental. I'm not a fan of that whole predatory dating stuff but I was interested in what Strauss had to say. It seemed like Ray was trying to be right-on so he could gain favour with the ladies and get a pat on the back for standing up to the nasty misogynist.

The show just slogs along at an uncomfortable pace with genuinely awkward, tumbleweed moments. It has none of the energy or pace of O'Connor's show, really poor show from RTE.

• Advertisement

Seanachai wrote: »
    I was cringing watching D'Arcy interview Neil Strauss, he decided to camp on the moral high ground and came across as being very judgmental. I'm not a fan of that whole predatory dating stuff but I was interested in what Strauss had to say. It seemed like Ray was trying to be right-on so he could gain favour with the ladies and get a pat on the back for standing up to the nasty misogynist.

The show just slogs along at an uncomfortable pace with genuinely awkward, tumbleweed moments. It has none of the energy or pace of O'Connor's show, really poor show from RTE.

Yes, I think Strauss must be used to getting attacked because he blithely shrugged off most of the really direct insults and loaded questioning (and I hate Strauss). A hardball question would be: "and what do you say to the people who claim you're encouraging deceit", not something about his wife. D'Arcy was the same at the guy who said he wasn't supportive of gay marriage, he was like visibly frowning and frustrated and like oh god you'd have to be some awful eejit not to support it and he repeatedly went on like that. O' Connor never went on like that, he was always listening rather than trying to interject his own opinions into it. D'Arcy seems to think it's about himself as much as the guest, as if we want to hear his views on things for hours every week as much as the (occasional) celebrity guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

No there isn't. RTE get paid anyway, they don't care. They pit repeats of this on the Sunday of a bank holiday FFS!. They don't give a flying fook! Anyone that complains is a 'begrudger' in their eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 72,411 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Didn't Ray say he would leave the country if Enda Kenny became Taoiseach?

*runs for cover*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,392 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Seanachai wrote: »

I was listening to a radio interview D'Arcy did with Noel Edmonds a few months ago. He couldn't but help let his disdain for the man come through, Edmonds picked up on it and the interview became tetchy and awkward from then onwards.

After the interview concluded, D'Arcy intimated to his audience that he regarded Edmonds as a nutjob (without using those words of course). How unprofessional : the likes of Gay Byrne or Pat Kenny would never allow their disdain for someone to seep through into an interview, they would always be polite and courteous and professional. D'Arcy is in the ha'penny place compared to them as an interviewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Strazdas wrote: »
    I was listening to a radio interview D'Arcy did with Noel Edmonds a few months ago. He couldn't but help let his disdain for the man come through, Edmonds picked up on it and the interview became tetchy and awkward from then onwards.

After the interview concluded, D'Arcy intimated to his audience that he regarded Edmonds as a nutjob (without using those words of course). How unprofessional : the likes of Gay Byrne or Pat Kenny would never allow their disdain for someone to seep through into an interview, they would always be polite and courteous and professional. D'Arcy is in the ha'penny place compared to them as an interviewer.

I'm a fan of Gay Byrne but occasionally his disdain for guests showed - Annie Murphy and Gerry Adams being examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

D'Arcy seems to think it's about himself as much as the guest, as if we want to hear his views on things for hours every week as much as the (occasional) celebrity guests.

That's the most annoying thing. He doesn't seem to have any self awareness filter of "I like this, but will the viewers like it".

His kids think a childish game called 'Elbow Dancing' is funny so we get a show infected with it. He is obsessed with weight loss so we get a fat man whose 15 minutes of fame ended long ago. He wants to recreate a mediocre part of Father Ted just to indulge himself etc etc.

You need a bit of ego to present a Talk Show but you also need some awareness of your audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,191 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You obviously haven't seen Gay's disgraceful treatment of Gerry Adams when Gerry went into the Late Late....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I'm a fan of Gay Byrne but occasionally his disdain for guests showed - Annie Murphy and Gerry Adams being examples.

His disdain showed a lot especially in Annie Murphys case. I can't remember seeing Gerry Adams but I think Gay Byrne allowed his disdain to show in those cases as he felt those 2 people were worse than the dirt on his shoe. In that he felt general society would support his disdain of those people. To him it really came across that some people were quite simply 'lower than'.

(I'm not a fan of Gay Byrne I dislike his prissiness, but I have really enjoyed watching done if his 'would you believe shows' )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Some of what Edmonds says does come across as being very twee but that's definitely not the way to deal with it, live and let live. Again he's taking the position of some sort of holier-than-thou figure who's there to scoff on behalf of people who think like him. He always seems to be riding on the wave of whatever right-on public opinion is currently popular, he was also cutting at Charlene McKenna about the background details of the neanderthals which seemed very petty. From what I remember he may have been wrong in what he was saying about the subject also.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    You obviously haven't seen Gay's disgraceful treatment of Gerry Adams when Gerry went into the Late Late....

When he said "never" I'm assuming he would allow for once in 38 years about a very controversial individual who has had links with terrorist organizations. It is interesting that Byrne did do that however, good point but I don't think it refutes what he said.

Advertisement