Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin footballers may play in Nowlan Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Largely supportive of this idea. It won't make a difference to the lack of competitiveness of the Leinster championship but as a matter of principle no team should play all their games at home.
    Still it's all very ad hoc though. A random game in kilkenny against Laois or Wicklow. There needs to be a more reliable system of deciding venues. Not whatever whim that comes from the Leinster council.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Packed ground would have a far better atmosphere than 25 or 30k lost in Croker. Does anyone have the attendance for the Dublin/Galway Dublin/Longford double header to hand?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Ah, no. Yer grand thanks. He's very over rated & a tad on the puny side compared to Sam. :p

I know what crowds the opening round fixture @ Croke Park tend to draw. I'm not disputing them. I just think that the game will draw a bigger crowd than a 20,000 odd capacity venue can hold. A quarter final game at CP is dull as ditch water. It is the same thing every year & there is zero novelty factor, hence the crowds diminishing each year. That won't be the case for Dublin first away game in a decade imo.

but you cant factor making supporters travel over 100 miles more and then doubling that attendance. Yes there is novelty, and yes more may travel, but if that is the case, then so be it. Let the game be in Nowlan park or Portlaoise and start it off from there. And if there is a demand for tickets then its a good thing. Over saturation of games on tv and in vacuous stadia is not helping things at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

bruschi wrote: »
    but you cant factor making supporters travel over 100 miles more and then doubling that attendance. Yes there is novelty, and yes more may travel, but if that is the case, then so be it. Let the game be in Nowlan park or Portlaoise and start it off from there. And if there is a demand for tickets then its a good thing. Over saturation of games on tv and in vacuous stadia is not helping things at the moment.

There were over 13,000 people at the league game in Castlebar, on a freezing cold night in March, to attend a game that meant relatively nothing & Dubs would have faced a 2-3 hr drive home in the dark. I don't think that only 10,000 odd more would show up for a day time, championship game in the summer, at a venue that is only half an hour from the Red Cow. It is even nearer for all the Dubs who settled in the Kilare/Laois areas during the property boom. Demand for tickets is a good thing, but it's not if thousands of people go without tickets, or elderly locals stay away as they can't get a stand ticket because the Dublin season ticket holders hoovered them all up.

Plus, I think the square in Thurles has a much better atmosphere for pre match pints than Portlaoise. That's the most important thing of all. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

There were over 13,000 people at the league game in Castlebar, on a freezing cold night in March, to attend a game that meant relatively nothing & Dubs would have faced a 2-3 hr drive home in the dark. I don't think that only 10,000 odd more would show up for a day time, championship game in the summer, at a venue that is only half an hour from the Red Cow. It is even nearer for all the Dubs who settled in the Kilare/Laois areas during the property boom. Demand for tickets is a good thing, but it's not if thousands of people go without tickets, or elderly locals stay away as they can't get a stand ticket because the Dublin season ticket holders hoovered them all up.

Plus, I think the square in Thurles has a much better atmosphere for pre match pints than Portlaoise. That's the most important thing of all. :D

elderly locals, in Kilkenny, wanting to go to a football match? you'd be lucky if they let you in, nevermind want to actually see the thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Some fans will have a chance of a dress rehearsal for travelling to Nowlan Park on the 20th of March. Our hurlers are playing Kilkenny in the league then. It would be good to have a good crowd down to support them and it would give a chance for people who have never been there to know where to go for the championship match.

bruschi wrote: »
    elderly locals, in Kilkenny, wanting to go to a football match? you'd be lucky if they let you in, nevermind want to actually see the thing!

I meant elderly aul lads from Laois, being willing to go a game in KK. It's "local" in that it's a neighbouring county & doesn't have the hassle factor of attending games in Dublin. I'm not stupid enough to think that said aul lads who live in KK, would give the big ballers - especially Jackeen big ballers - the time of day. They're probably digging a moat around the city & filling it with crocodiles as we speak !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Flukey wrote: »
    Some fans will have a chance of a dress rehearsal for travelling to Nowlan Park on the 20th of March. Our hurlers are playing Kilkenny in the league then. It would be good to have a good crowd down to support them and it would give a chance for people who have never been there to know where to go for the championship match.

It would be nice to get a big Dub crowd down but I wouldn't be holding my breath. Historically, the hurling dubs are vocal but dwarfed by the football crowd. I do though tip my hat to the clubs who bring bus loads of kids down for games on such days. The reverse doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I totally agree with the idea of taking Dublin out of Croke Park at this stage. It makes sense on so many levels. For a start Dublin shouldn't have the advantage of playing every game in Croke Park. While it may not be Dublin's official home ground it's pretty much a de-facto home ground at this stage.

But most of all it would create a much better atmosphere than a crowd of 30,000 lost in the vastness of Croke Park. The GAA need to stop looking at everything through dollar-clouded lenses and move more games out of CP. And in fairness I know the vast majority of Dublin supporters and even the players are itching to get out of Croke Park and get back to playing at provincial grounds again. Ok some people may miss out on getting a ticket with the lower capacity but I'll bet that the vast majority of genuine supporters will get one anyway, and if you lose some of the sunshine supporter brigade then what harm.

It would be brilliant to see a packed Nowlan Park or a packed Portlaoise rather than tumbleweed blowing through the emptiness of Croke Park, which should be reserved for the bigger occasions when you're looking at a crowd of 45-50,000 minimum.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=245850

Leinster council already scaremongering on this. They're clearly not fully on board.
    I'd still expect to see a Dublin v Laois/Wicklow and Meath v Louth/Carlow double header announced for Croke Park.
    I personally don't care if grants are cut at this stage. During the time my county has allegedly been doing so well financially from Dublin in CP it's completely faded as a GAA force and had the county ground capacity gutted for health and safety reasons.
    Clearly the financial benefits of Dublin in CP are massively overstated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

iDave wrote: »

I personally don't care if grants are cut at this stage. During the time my county has allegedly been doing so well financially from Dublin in CP it's completely faded as a GAA force and had the county ground capacity gutted for health and safety reasons.

Whatever charges can be laid at the door of Dublin Gaa the fact that other county boards can't get their acts together and plan properly is certainly not one of them.

I hope the game is held in Nowlan Park. Most Dubs have no issue with it and would welcome a change of scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Leinster council already scaremongering on this. They're clearly not fully on board.
    I'd still expect to see a Dublin v Laois/Wicklow and Meath v Louth/Carlow double header announced for Croke Park.

Of course the irony being that as the county team suffer from perceived lack of facilities & spending, the club scene in Meath grows grander as the likes of Donaghmore, Trim, Walterstown, Ratoath, Simonstown, Pats Stamullen & Duleek/Bellewstown have developed facilities the envy of the rest of Leinster. Nothwithstanding the local support and immense fundraising undertaken by those involved in these ventures the cheque from Croker facilitated their completion.

Deflecting the demise of Meath as being somehow intrinsically linked to whether Dublin play either in or outside Croker is mistaken when the key enablers to improved performance are there for all to see around the club grounds in Meath. The fact that so much has gone into the bricks and mortar and so little into the games development in comparison won't be solved next June by a game in Nowlan Park.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

A lot of Dublin fans point to the fact that other counties' delegates always vote to keep Dublin in Croke Park. Well when the Leinster Council make statements like that, can you blame them?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

13,000 in McHale park and the vast majority of them Mayo fans. We do have one of largest support in the country and with so many of our games played away it's no coincidence when one of the top teams come to town we pile in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

Dont see the harm in taking the Dubs out of Croke Park for the opening Championship game. I wonder will the Laois/ Wexford player mind though. It will still be an away game for them even though their suppose to have home advantage.

The argument that a lot of fans will miss out on tickets is stupid imo. Chelsea are one of one of the biggest soccer clubs in the world and are located in one of the biggest cities. Yet their home stadium fits roughly 40,000 fans. Im sure there is a hell of a lot more who miss out on tickets weekly. It just comes with coming from a big city. Split the ticket percentages for each county fairly and you would have a wonderful occasion in Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

deadybai wrote: »
    Dont see the harm in taking the Dubs out of Croke Park for the opening Championship game. I wonder will the Laois/ Wexford player mind though. It will still be an away game for them even though their suppose to have home advantage.

The argument that a lot of fans will miss out on tickets is stupid imo. Chelsea are one of one of the biggest soccer clubs in the world and are located in one of the biggest cities. Yet their home stadium fits roughly 40,000 fans. Im sure there is a hell of a lot more who miss out on tickets weekly. It just comes with coming from a big city. Split the ticket percentages for each county fairly and you would have a wonderful occasion in Kilkenny.

Split the tickets on the basis of the ratio of season tickets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Great news...delighted and can't wait :)

Rooooooooooooooooooooooooooooad Triiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiipppppppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bleedin' deadly !

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

If Laois win, should've been Portlaoise. Why not make it an away game for Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭largepants

If Laois win, should've been Portlaoise. Why not make it an away game for Dublin?

Because thats against the rules of the Gaa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Thats what I think should happen and I am a Dublin fan. Apparently the reason to not have this is because Portlaoise doesn't have enough seats.

While it is great to get a road trip it isnt great planning by the Leinster Council. Same evening & weekend as the Kilkenny Cat Laughs festival.

sgarvan wrote: »
    Thats what I think should happen and I am a Dublin fan. Apparently the reason to not have this is because Portlaoise doesn't have enough seats.

While it is great to get a road trip it isnt great planning by the Leinster Council. Same evening & weekend as the Kilkenny Cat Laughs festival.

As it happens I'm a Laois fan but I'd still think the same if it was Offaly or Wexford or any other county that had a ground fit to take around 20k. Why not give them a home game? Let's be honest here, Dublin are nailed on to win anyway but if there's to be any chance of a close game/shock result it would be nice if it were on the other team's home patch.

Hope this isn't an exercise in tossing a bone to its critics by the Leinster Council.
    This will be pointless if it's another 10 years before Dublin play out of Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

As it happens I'm a Laois fan but I'd still think the same if it was Offaly or Wexford or any other county that had a ground fit to take around 20k. Why not give them a home game? Let's be honest here, Dublin are nailed on to win anyway but if there's to be any chance of a close game/shock result it would be nice if it were on the other team's home patch.
    The number of Dublin season tickets > The number of seats in Portlaoise.

How would you resolve that given that the Dublin fans would have bought the season ticket on the guarantee of a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭largepants

Are you sure the season ticket guarantees you a seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

2002 .The same day as the Ireland v Spain World Cup match.

The replay was on the next Saturday.

That was it. My father told me at the time if Offaly and Ireland won that they were staying in Kilkenny that night and I didnt have to go to school in the morning. Needless to say i went to school the following morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭Speak Now

largepants wrote: »

It'll be unassigned seating.

largepants wrote: »

The Leinster Council thinks so.

Makes you wonder why grants were given to counties to build new terracing when they're not fit to host every scenario.
    You'd think the GAA would want to promote best practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

deadybai wrote: »

They dont even sell out all their Champ Lge games ffs

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote: »
    The number of Dublin season tickets > The number of seats in Portlaoise.

How would you resolve that given that the Dublin fans would have bought the season ticket on the guarantee of a seat.

There's 6,000 seats in Portlaoise. Do Dublin sell 6,000+ season tickets? If so, fair enough, I can't answer that.

Still think I'd like to see Dublin play an "away" game.

Advertisement