Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin footballers may play in Nowlan Park

• 15-10-2015 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I read on HoganStand that if Dublin are drawn away to Laois, Wexford or Carlow in the first round next the Leinster Council will consider playing the game in Nowlan Park. Thoughts? Has a big football game ever been played in Kilkenny before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

I read on HoganStand that if Dublin are drawn away to Laois, Wexford or Carlow in the first round next the Leinster Council will consider playing the game in Nowlan Park. Thoughts? Has a big football game ever been played in Kilkenny before?

Kildare played Offaly years ago. 2004 at a guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Kildare played Offaly years ago. 2004 at a guess

2002 .The same day as the Ireland v Spain World Cup match.

The replay was on the next Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Good idea to use Nowlan park for a big football match. Not much point in Dublin playing any of these in Croke park unless it is a triple header as you would only get a handful from opposing counties and lucky to have 30-35,000 at it.

Will be good for Dublin to get out of Croke park but not sure if it is big enough. Capacity around 20,000? Good for local economy and a few hurling challenges for Dublin clubs.

Plenty of great days on the road in the past but always a problem getting into some of the grounds when the Dubs go on their travels as a lot of towns could not cope with the crowds on championship days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'm all for a road trip, but I'd have it in Thurles & not KK. I don't think Nowlan with have the capacity. Yes, I know Thurles is in Munster, but if Munster & Connaught counties can play in the Leinster (hurling) championship, why not actually play some of the games down there too? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Railyard 2-8 Muckalee 1-9 in this years KK club final was a thriller.

What many people won't realise is that Kilkenny are the British Junior football champions, beating Scotland in this years final. They lost the all Ireland semi final to Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Portlaoise can hold the same as nowlan Park so why not use that

Portlaoise only has 6000 seats and its over all capacity was reduced after recent health and safety audits. I think its only around the 19,000 mark now. Nowlans is still in the upper 20,000's

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I'm all for a road trip, but I'd have it in Thurles & not KK. I don't think Nowlan with have the capacity. Yes, I know Thurles is in Munster, but if Munster & Connaught counties can play in the Leinster (hurling) championship, why not actually play some of the games down there too? :rolleyes:

why? Thurles has a capacity of 54,000. There was 33k at this years double header for Dublins first game. In fact there has been a constant crowd of around this mark for 5 years. So I dont see how a double header getting 33k should not be split in 2 and a stadium with a capacity of 24k cant be enough for the one off game.

Because I think that more than 24,000 will want to attend the game. More Dubs will want to hit the road, for the pure novelty of a champo road trip. And more Laois folk will make the trip, as its a cheaper, easier trip to a neighbouring county. They won't have to deal with the hassle of Dublin traffic/parking etc. Add in the game being in a packed house, with a 50/50 attendance, instead of a half empty Croker & the atmosphere will be cracking. People will want to go for that alone. I know of several people who couldn't be arsed going to Dublins early round games, but they are all over a trip down the M7 or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Because I think that more than 24,000 will want to attend the game. More Dubs will want to hit the road, for the pure novelty of a champo road trip. And more Laois folk will make the trip, as its a cheaper, easier trip to a neighbouring county. They won't have to deal with the hassle of Dublin traffic/parking etc. Add in the game being in a packed house, with a 50/50 attendance, instead of a half empty Croker & the atmosphere will be cracking. People will want to go for that alone. I know of several people who couldn't be arsed going to Dublins early round games, but they are all over a trip down the M7 or whatever.

If the game was in Kilkenny a weekend would be made out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Can only be good for the Kilkenny economy I suppose, if some Dubs make a weekend out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Portlaoise only has 6000 seats and its over all capacity was reduced after recent health and safety audits. I think its only around the 19,000 mark now. Nowlans is still in the upper 20,000's

Laois GAA received €800k from Central Council and another €200k from the Leinster Council to restore O'Moore Park's capacity to 25,000 earlier this year.

https://twitter.com/MidlandsSport/status/601337473709518848

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It'll be good to get to Nowlan Park again. It'll be busy getting in on the day, so some might go down the night before. May consider that. Something to look forward to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I was in kilkenny for the first dublin mayo semi this year, every stripey hoor was crowing and guffawing about the dubs demise up until the last minute

would love to get down there in 2016 to wave sam in their faces :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

2002 .The same day as the Ireland v Spain World Cup match.

The replay was on the next Saturday.

jaysus, flashback...first game of the championship was dubs against wexford in carlow a few hours after the ireland v cameroon game which kicked off about 8am if memory serves correct. it was complete bedlam, lads outta their f*ckin minds on drink running on to the pitch streaking. game was nearly abandoned, little to no security and the ref had no chance, the small terrace looked like some kind of massacre with pissed up fans passed out asleep during the game. was in a fairly bad state myself and it was a sh*t game. matt hollands daisy cutter my only clear memory of the day.

all that said i would like nothing more than to start travelling to away games again watching the dubs...I don't think there are many dub fans who wouldnt. used to be great craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Nowlans is still in the upper 20,000's

I think since they built the new seated stand behind the goal, the capacity has been reduced. The attendance for the KK-Tipp hurling qualifier in 2013 was 23,307. It was wedged that night, so I can't imagine it being any higher.

Well whether its KK or Portlaoise, I still don't think that a ground with a capacity of 20,000 to 27,000 will be enough. A relatively meaningless league game in March, drew a crowd of 13,000 to a bitterly cold night McHale Park. I'd expect a heckuva lot more up for a road trip, on a nice summers day.

Plus, there are 3000-5000 odd Dublin season ticket holders who have to be taken care of first. Same for the 2000 odd Parnell Pass holders & any Laois season ticket holders. That would be 20%-25%% of the games tickets taken out of circulation, before they go on general sale..

Well whether its KK or Portlaoise, I still don't think that a ground with a capacity of 20,000 to 27,000 will be enough. A relatively meaningless league game in March, drew a crowd of 13,000 to a bitterly cold night McHale Park. I'd expect a heckuva lot more up for a road trip, on a nice summers day.

Plus, there are 3000-5000 odd Dublin season ticket holders who have to be taken care of first. Same for the 2000 odd Parnell Pass holders & any Laois season ticket holders. That would be 20%-25%% of the games tickets taken out of circulation, before they go on general sale..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭blackcard

Bambi wrote: »
    I was in kilkenny for the first dublin mayo semi this year, every stripey hoor was crowing and guffawing about the dubs demise up until the last minute

would love to get down there in 2016 to wave sam in their faces :D

You think waving Sam in the faces of kk supporters would upset us? Not a chance. Still you're welcome down here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Think nowlan park can hold 24,000 max.

• Advertisement

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Think nowlan park can hold 24,000 max.

But the atmosphere of a packed ground makes it a special occasion

blackcard wrote: »
    You think waving Sam in the faces of kk supporters would upset us? Not a chance. Still you're welcome down here

Do KK people even know what/who/where Sam is? :P

Sam is a biannual tournament played between the USA and Europe. It is named after Samuel Rider. It is played alternatively in the USA and Europe

all that said i would like nothing more than to start travelling to away games again watching the dubs...I don't think there are many dub fans who wouldnt. used to be great craic.

You'll only have to wait until February to do that.
    blackcard wrote: »

They'll recognise Sam in Kilkenny. They know more about football than you think. Maybe some Kilkenny folk don't know it, but there are 9 counties that have less senior football provincial championships than Kilkenny have. The odd thing is that all those counties that have less success than the Kilkenny senior footballers have, are still prepared to field a team in the All-Ireland Championships. It's been a while, but it would be nice to see Kilkenny win another Leinster Senior Football Championship. We could then be playing them in Nowlan Park. A double header of Dublin v Kilkenny in Nowlan Park some day, now that would be a good day out.

Flukey wrote: »
    You'll only have to wait until February to do that

championship games, last one was in '06...won't be changing any time soon.

There are more fans missing out on an all Ireland final than would miss out on this game. The first round games as a double header have had attendances not much more than the capacity of nowlan park, it's fine for a first round single fixture.

championship games, last one was in '06...won't be changing any time soon.

The league road trips are good too. It is something a lot of fans miss out on, because the first match of the year they go to is in June, if not later. Unfortunately a very large amount of the people that were scrambling for tickets for the last Dublin v Kerry match in Croke Park will barely even know about the next Dublin v Kerry match in Croke Park, let alone be at it.

Those league games are great, be they in Dublin or away. I may not get to all of the league games, but I hope to get to most of them, Hurling and Football. There are no clashes between the Hurling and Football matches and just one weekend when we have two away games, so it should be possible for many people to go to them all. It would be nice if more fans from all counties got going from the start of the year. Like the players themselves, it is good for the fans to warm up during the league games so that they are fit and ready for what the summer brings. I haven't been at every county ground, but I've been at most of them. It is always good to go to support Dublin, Hurling or Football, league or championship, O'Byrne Cup or Walsh Cup.

The league road trips are good too. It is something a lot of fans miss out on, because the first match of the year they go to is in June, if not later. Unfortunately a very large amount of the people that were scrambling for tickets for the last Dublin v Kerry match in Croke Park will barely even know about the next Dublin v Kerry match in Croke Park, let alone be at it.

Those league games are great, be they in Dublin or away. I may not get to all of the league games, but I hope to get to most of them, Hurling and Football. There are no clashes between the Hurling and Football matches and just one weekend when we have two away games, so it should be possible for many people to go to them all. It would be nice if more fans from all counties got going from the start of the year. Like the players themselves, it is good for the fans to warm up during the league games so that they are fit and ready for what the summer brings. I haven't been at every county ground, but I've been at most of them. It is always good to go to support Dublin, Hurling or Football, league or championship, O'Byrne Cup or Walsh Cup.

indeed and fair play to you...but my point was I'd love to be able to travel to away games for the championship, not league or cup games which I do just like you and not all but some and when I can. I maybe should have clarified that in my original post but it was in response to a post when the World Cup in 2002 was on and we were still playing championship games outside of Croker I was overcome with a bit of nostalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

We'd be more than happy to show ye Liam! ;)

• Advertisement

citykat wrote: »
    We'd be more than happy to show ye Liam! ;)

Ah, no. Yer grand thanks. He's very over rated & a tad on the puny side compared to Sam. :p
    bruschi wrote: »
    There are more fans missing out on an all Ireland final than would miss out on this game. The first round games as a double header have had attendances not much more than the capacity of nowlan park, it's fine for a first round single fixture.

I know what crowds the opening round fixture @ Croke Park tend to draw. I'm not disputing them. I just think that the game will draw a bigger crowd than a 20,000 odd capacity venue can hold. A quarter final game at CP is dull as ditch water. It is the same thing every year & there is zero novelty factor, hence the crowds diminishing each year. That won't be the case for Dublin first away game in a decade imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Largely supportive of this idea. It won't make a difference to the lack of competitiveness of the Leinster championship but as a matter of principle no team should play all their games at home.
    Still it's all very ad hoc though. A random game in kilkenny against Laois or Wicklow. There needs to be a more reliable system of deciding venues. Not whatever whim that comes from the Leinster council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Packed ground would have a far better atmosphere than 25 or 30k lost in Croker. Does anyone have the attendance for the Dublin/Galway Dublin/Longford double header to hand?

Ah, no. Yer grand thanks. He's very over rated & a tad on the puny side compared to Sam. :p

I know what crowds the opening round fixture @ Croke Park tend to draw. I'm not disputing them. I just think that the game will draw a bigger crowd than a 20,000 odd capacity venue can hold. A quarter final game at CP is dull as ditch water. It is the same thing every year & there is zero novelty factor, hence the crowds diminishing each year. That won't be the case for Dublin first away game in a decade imo.

but you cant factor making supporters travel over 100 miles more and then doubling that attendance. Yes there is novelty, and yes more may travel, but if that is the case, then so be it. Let the game be in Nowlan park or Portlaoise and start it off from there. And if there is a demand for tickets then its a good thing. Over saturation of games on tv and in vacuous stadia is not helping things at the moment.

but you cant factor making supporters travel over 100 miles more and then doubling that attendance. Yes there is novelty, and yes more may travel, but if that is the case, then so be it. Let the game be in Nowlan park or Portlaoise and start it off from there. And if there is a demand for tickets then its a good thing. Over saturation of games on tv and in vacuous stadia is not helping things at the moment.

There were over 13,000 people at the league game in Castlebar, on a freezing cold night in March, to attend a game that meant relatively nothing & Dubs would have faced a 2-3 hr drive home in the dark. I don't think that only 10,000 odd more would show up for a day time, championship game in the summer, at a venue that is only half an hour from the Red Cow. It is even nearer for all the Dubs who settled in the Kilare/Laois areas during the property boom. Demand for tickets is a good thing, but it's not if thousands of people go without tickets, or elderly locals stay away as they can't get a stand ticket because the Dublin season ticket holders hoovered them all up.

Plus, I think the square in Thurles has a much better atmosphere for pre match pints than Portlaoise. That's the most important thing of all. :D

There were over 13,000 people at the league game in Castlebar, on a freezing cold night in March, to attend a game that meant relatively nothing & Dubs would have faced a 2-3 hr drive home in the dark. I don't think that only 10,000 odd more would show up for a day time, championship game in the summer, at a venue that is only half an hour from the Red Cow. It is even nearer for all the Dubs who settled in the Kilare/Laois areas during the property boom. Demand for tickets is a good thing, but it's not if thousands of people go without tickets, or elderly locals stay away as they can't get a stand ticket because the Dublin season ticket holders hoovered them all up.

Plus, I think the square in Thurles has a much better atmosphere for pre match pints than Portlaoise. That's the most important thing of all. :D

elderly locals, in Kilkenny, wanting to go to a football match? you'd be lucky if they let you in, nevermind want to actually see the thing!

• Advertisement

Some fans will have a chance of a dress rehearsal for travelling to Nowlan Park on the 20th of March. Our hurlers are playing Kilkenny in the league then. It would be good to have a good crowd down to support them and it would give a chance for people who have never been there to know where to go for the championship match.

elderly locals, in Kilkenny, wanting to go to a football match? you'd be lucky if they let you in, nevermind want to actually see the thing!

I meant elderly aul lads from Laois, being willing to go a game in KK. It's "local" in that it's a neighbouring county & doesn't have the hassle factor of attending games in Dublin. I'm not stupid enough to think that said aul lads who live in KK, would give the big ballers - especially Jackeen big ballers - the time of day. They're probably digging a moat around the city & filling it with crocodiles as we speak !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Some fans will have a chance of a dress rehearsal for travelling to Nowlan Park on the 20th of March. Our hurlers are playing Kilkenny in the league then. It would be good to have a good crowd down to support them and it would give a chance for people who have never been there to know where to go for the championship match.

It would be nice to get a big Dub crowd down but I wouldn't be holding my breath. Historically, the hurling dubs are vocal but dwarfed by the football crowd. I do though tip my hat to the clubs who bring bus loads of kids down for games on such days. The reverse doesn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I totally agree with the idea of taking Dublin out of Croke Park at this stage. It makes sense on so many levels. For a start Dublin shouldn't have the advantage of playing every game in Croke Park. While it may not be Dublin's official home ground it's pretty much a de-facto home ground at this stage.

But most of all it would create a much better atmosphere than a crowd of 30,000 lost in the vastness of Croke Park. The GAA need to stop looking at everything through dollar-clouded lenses and move more games out of CP. And in fairness I know the vast majority of Dublin supporters and even the players are itching to get out of Croke Park and get back to playing at provincial grounds again. Ok some people may miss out on getting a ticket with the lower capacity but I'll bet that the vast majority of genuine supporters will get one anyway, and if you lose some of the sunshine supporter brigade then what harm.

It would be brilliant to see a packed Nowlan Park or a packed Portlaoise rather than tumbleweed blowing through the emptiness of Croke Park, which should be reserved for the bigger occasions when you're looking at a crowd of 45-50,000 minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=245850

Leinster council already scaremongering on this. They're clearly not fully on board.
    I'd still expect to see a Dublin v Laois/Wicklow and Meath v Louth/Carlow double header announced for Croke Park.
    I personally don't care if grants are cut at this stage. During the time my county has allegedly been doing so well financially from Dublin in CP it's completely faded as a GAA force and had the county ground capacity gutted for health and safety reasons.
    Clearly the financial benefits of Dublin in CP are massively overstated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

iDave wrote: »

I personally don't care if grants are cut at this stage. During the time my county has allegedly been doing so well financially from Dublin in CP it's completely faded as a GAA force and had the county ground capacity gutted for health and safety reasons.

Whatever charges can be laid at the door of Dublin Gaa the fact that other county boards can't get their acts together and plan properly is certainly not one of them.

I hope the game is held in Nowlan Park. Most Dubs have no issue with it and would welcome a change of scenery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Leinster council already scaremongering on this. They're clearly not fully on board.
    I'd still expect to see a Dublin v Laois/Wicklow and Meath v Louth/Carlow double header announced for Croke Park.

Of course the irony being that as the county team suffer from perceived lack of facilities & spending, the club scene in Meath grows grander as the likes of Donaghmore, Trim, Walterstown, Ratoath, Simonstown, Pats Stamullen & Duleek/Bellewstown have developed facilities the envy of the rest of Leinster. Nothwithstanding the local support and immense fundraising undertaken by those involved in these ventures the cheque from Croker facilitated their completion.

Deflecting the demise of Meath as being somehow intrinsically linked to whether Dublin play either in or outside Croker is mistaken when the key enablers to improved performance are there for all to see around the club grounds in Meath. The fact that so much has gone into the bricks and mortar and so little into the games development in comparison won't be solved next June by a game in Nowlan Park.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

A lot of Dublin fans point to the fact that other counties' delegates always vote to keep Dublin in Croke Park. Well when the Leinster Council make statements like that, can you blame them?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

13,000 in McHale park and the vast majority of them Mayo fans. We do have one of largest support in the country and with so many of our games played away it's no coincidence when one of the top teams come to town we pile in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Dont see the harm in taking the Dubs out of Croke Park for the opening Championship game. I wonder will the Laois/ Wexford player mind though. It will still be an away game for them even though their suppose to have home advantage.

The argument that a lot of fans will miss out on tickets is stupid imo. Chelsea are one of one of the biggest soccer clubs in the world and are located in one of the biggest cities. Yet their home stadium fits roughly 40,000 fans. Im sure there is a hell of a lot more who miss out on tickets weekly. It just comes with coming from a big city. Split the ticket percentages for each county fairly and you would have a wonderful occasion in Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

deadybai wrote: »
    Dont see the harm in taking the Dubs out of Croke Park for the opening Championship game. I wonder will the Laois/ Wexford player mind though. It will still be an away game for them even though their suppose to have home advantage.

The argument that a lot of fans will miss out on tickets is stupid imo. Chelsea are one of one of the biggest soccer clubs in the world and are located in one of the biggest cities. Yet their home stadium fits roughly 40,000 fans. Im sure there is a hell of a lot more who miss out on tickets weekly. It just comes with coming from a big city. Split the ticket percentages for each county fairly and you would have a wonderful occasion in Kilkenny.

Split the tickets on the basis of the ratio of season tickets.

Great news...delighted and can't wait :)

Rooooooooooooooooooooooooooooad Triiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiipppppppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bleedin' deadly !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

If Laois win, should've been Portlaoise. Why not make it an away game for Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

If Laois win, should've been Portlaoise. Why not make it an away game for Dublin?

Because thats against the rules of the Gaa.

• Advertisement
Advertisement