Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin footballers may play in Nowlan Park

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

There are 5000 Dublin season ticket holders and 2000 Parnell Pass holders. They (and how every many Laois season ticket holders there are) have to be accommodated first, before tickets go on sale to the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

iDave wrote: »
    Hope this isn't an exercise in tossing a bone to its critics by the Leinster Council.
    This will be pointless if it's another 10 years before Dublin play out of Croke Park.

I will be gobsmacked if this doesn't turn out to be a complete exercise in tokenism by the Leinster Council.

It's just a blatant attempt to stop people pointing out how much of an advantage Dublin get from having all of the championship games at home.

Imagine for a second that in the past it had been decided that all football finals and semi-finals should be played in Kerry as the "home of football" keeping in mind that Kerry have lost just 9 senior championship intercounty games since 1928 when the game was played in Kerry. Think about that and think about how much home advantage is worth to strong teams in the GAA. Now Dublin actually have a token championship game outside of Croke Park and it's not even at an away venue but a neutral one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ProudDUB wrote:
    There are 5000 Dublin season ticket holders and 2000 Parnell Pass holders. They (and how every many Laois season ticket holders there are) have to be accommodated first, before tickets go on sale to the general public.

But Parnell Pass holders have no right to away game tickets though right ? Only home games.

I can only really see Dublin playing away in neutral venues unless the away venue is big enough to make as much money as possible.

Stoner wrote: »
    But Parnell Pass holders have no right to away game tickets though right ? Only home games.

I can only really see Dublin playing away in neutral venues unless the away venue is big enough to make as much money as possible.

Nope. The PP terms & conditions state that the holder is entitled to purchase a ticket, to all of Dublins Championship games, from the Dublin County Board. The venue of the games is not relevant, as they are run under the auspices of Leinster Council & not the DCB.

As the DCB run their home league fixtures, your PP gets you into all home league games for free. It won't get you into away league games, as they are run by other county boards. Perhaps you are thinking of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

Hotel booked roll on June 4th :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Nope. The PP terms & conditions state that the holder is entitled to purchase a ticket, to all of Dublins Championship games, from the Dublin County Board. The venue of the games is not relevant, as they are run under the auspices of Leinster Council & not the DCB.

As the DCB run their home league fixtures, your PP gets you into all home league games for free. It won't get you into away league games, as they are run by other county boards. Perhaps you are thinking of that?

Yeah spot on PD .. as a PP stand ticket holder I've got to be honest and say I wouldn't be at all bothered about standing in O'Moore Park, I think Nowlan was a bit of a fudge tbh. I would say tho that O'Moore is a disaster on big match days in my experience to get in/out of.

• Site Banned Posts: 2 VideoGaaGaa

Its a great idea, only fair alternate hosting matches. Where the facilities are there why not?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Yeah spot on PD .. as a PP stand ticket holder I've got to be honest and say I wouldn't be at all bothered about standing in O'Moore Park, I think Nowlan was a bit of a fudge tbh. I would say tho that O'Moore is a disaster on big match days in my experience to get in/out of.

being honest, I find little difference with either ground. Both are reasonably close to motorways and both also in easy walking distance to the towns. Parking for both is awful. My advise would be for either place is to get in early, park up, get something to eat in town and if not staying, head on off when the game is over. Traffic management afterwards in both places is reasonable, and once on the motorway is fine.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Find it weird that its not at the ground of the team that wins. Using the token that Nowlan park has more capacity is weird.
    I agree that its just a box ticking exercise. Dublin will win I have zero doubt about that, but why not have at the homeground of the team that wins, let the town benefit and the ground.
    I think they are just causing more discussion now, they should have either did it or not, not this 1/2 arsed solution.

yop wrote: »
    Find it weird that its not at the ground of the team that wins. Using the token that Nowlan park has more capacity is weird.
    I agree that its just a box ticking exercise. Dublin will win I have zero doubt about that, but why not have at the homeground of the team that wins, let the town benefit and the ground.
    I think they are just causing more discussion now, they should have either did it or not, not this 1/2 arsed solution.

I agree. What I don't get is....what is the point of giving the Laois Co Board all that money to do up their county ground, so they could host big games....if they then turn around & tell them that they don't have enough seats to host big games. (NP having more seats than Portlaoise, was the reason given for NP getting the game, wasn't it?)

Either you give Laois the money to do up their ground to host big games and you then give them the big games. Or you don't do either. It seems like a bit of a waste of money, to do one, but not to do the other imo..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

yop wrote: »

whatever about Portlaoise, Aughrim is barely suitable for games, nevermind big championship games. It only holds 10,000, 5k "seating".

Agree with Proud dub, should have been in Portlaoise. What is the point in upgrading the ground when at the first chance of a big game, they dont play it there.

I think the lack of seats was the main factor. There are 7000 Dublin season ticket holders & Parnell Pass holders. I don't know how many of them are for seated stand tickets & how many are for standing room only tickets. But a substantial number of them would be for seated stand tickets.

Once you take out tickets for co board people, sponsors, players families etc etc, there may well only be 5000 stand tickets available.....and they all have to go to the Dubs as they have a contract with the GAA saying they are entitled to them, as they have paid for them in advance. That wouldn't go down too well with the good people of Laois. If they move the game to KK, they avoid all that hassle.

So I can see why the Leinster Council are doing this. But I still have sympathy for the people of Laois who feel they are getting shafted, especially the business owners in Portlaoise. Kilkenny City & Nowlan Park needs another big game/event, like it needs a hole in the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I think the lack of seats was the main factor. There are 7000 Dublin season ticket holders & Parnell Pass holders. I don't know how many of them are for seated stand tickets & how many are for standing room only tickets. But a substantial number of them would be for seated stand tickets.

Once you take out tickets for co board people, sponsors, players families etc etc, there may well only be 5000 stand tickets available.....and they all have to go to the Dubs as they have a contract with the GAA saying they are entitled to them, as they have paid for them in advance. That wouldn't go down too well with the good people of Laois. If they move the game to KK, they avoid all that hassle.

So I can see why the Leinster Council are doing this. But I still have sympathy for the people of Laois who feel they are getting shafted, especially the business owners in Portlaoise. Kilkenny City & Nowlan Park needs another big game/event, like it needs a hole in the head.

When the Connacht final was fixed for Hyde Park this year,Mayo/Sligo season ticket holders were informed that due to seating restrictions season ticket holders were to be handed standing tickets instead.

Prop Joe wrote: »
    When the Connacht final was fixed for Hyde Park this year,Mayo/Sligo season ticket holders were informed that due to seating restrictions season ticket holders were to be handed standing tickets instead.

Interesting. So there is a precedent for this happening, without the sky falling in. I thought that maybe the GAA were overly worried about punters coming after them looking for a refund.

Prop Joe wrote: »

Interesting. So there is a precedent for this happening, without the sky falling in. I thought that maybe the GAA were overly worried about punters coming after them looking for a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭howiya

I can understand why Laois would want home advantage but O'Moore Park acts as a venue for neutral games too so surely they can see both sides of the coin. Perhaps the Laois county board could seize the initiative and contact the Dublin county board about entering into a home and away agreement like other counties have with each other. Won't make a difference for 2016 but could work for them in the future

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

howiya wrote:
    Perhaps the Laois county board could seize the initiative and contact the Dublin county board about entering into a home and away agreement like other counties have with each other.
    I guess neither county board want that.
    The Dublin county board would want to play home games.
    The Laois county board would want Dublin to play every other county bar them outside Dublin. They will want to play Dublin in CP.

The provisional board needs to address this, imo it won't happen at county board level as it isn't structured like that and the two counties involved in the individual games don't want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

It's done and dusted now. I hope our lads stop whinging about it (publicly anyway) and get on with the business of beating Wicklow.

All the giving out will appear particularly hollow if we don't get by Wicklow first.

Advertisement