Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin footballers may play in Nowlan Park

Options
  • 15-10-2015 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I read on HoganStand that if Dublin are drawn away to Laois, Wexford or Carlow in the first round next the Leinster Council will consider playing the game in Nowlan Park. Thoughts? Has a big football game ever been played in Kilkenny before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

I read on HoganStand that if Dublin are drawn away to Laois, Wexford or Carlow in the first round next the Leinster Council will consider playing the game in Nowlan Park. Thoughts? Has a big football game ever been played in Kilkenny before?

Kildare played Offaly years ago. 2004 at a guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Kildare played Offaly years ago. 2004 at a guess

2002 .The same day as the Ireland v Spain World Cup match.

The replay was on the next Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Good idea to use Nowlan park for a big football match. Not much point in Dublin playing any of these in Croke park unless it is a triple header as you would only get a handful from opposing counties and lucky to have 30-35,000 at it.

Will be good for Dublin to get out of Croke park but not sure if it is big enough. Capacity around 20,000? Good for local economy and a few hurling challenges for Dublin clubs.

Plenty of great days on the road in the past but always a problem getting into some of the grounds when the Dubs go on their travels as a lot of towns could not cope with the crowds on championship days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'm all for a road trip, but I'd have it in Thurles & not KK. I don't think Nowlan with have the capacity. Yes, I know Thurles is in Munster, but if Munster & Connaught counties can play in the Leinster (hurling) championship, why not actually play some of the games down there too? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Railyard 2-8 Muckalee 1-9 in this years KK club final was a thriller.

What many people won't realise is that Kilkenny are the British Junior football champions, beating Scotland in this years final. They lost the all Ireland semi final to Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Portlaoise can hold the same as nowlan Park so why not use that

Portlaoise only has 6000 seats and its over all capacity was reduced after recent health and safety audits. I think its only around the 19,000 mark now. Nowlans is still in the upper 20,000's

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I'm all for a road trip, but I'd have it in Thurles & not KK. I don't think Nowlan with have the capacity. Yes, I know Thurles is in Munster, but if Munster & Connaught counties can play in the Leinster (hurling) championship, why not actually play some of the games down there too? :rolleyes:

why? Thurles has a capacity of 54,000. There was 33k at this years double header for Dublins first game. In fact there has been a constant crowd of around this mark for 5 years. So I dont see how a double header getting 33k should not be split in 2 and a stadium with a capacity of 24k cant be enough for the one off game.

Because I think that more than 24,000 will want to attend the game. More Dubs will want to hit the road, for the pure novelty of a champo road trip. And more Laois folk will make the trip, as its a cheaper, easier trip to a neighbouring county. They won't have to deal with the hassle of Dublin traffic/parking etc. Add in the game being in a packed house, with a 50/50 attendance, instead of a half empty Croker & the atmosphere will be cracking. People will want to go for that alone. I know of several people who couldn't be arsed going to Dublins early round games, but they are all over a trip down the M7 or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Because I think that more than 24,000 will want to attend the game. More Dubs will want to hit the road, for the pure novelty of a champo road trip. And more Laois folk will make the trip, as its a cheaper, easier trip to a neighbouring county. They won't have to deal with the hassle of Dublin traffic/parking etc. Add in the game being in a packed house, with a 50/50 attendance, instead of a half empty Croker & the atmosphere will be cracking. People will want to go for that alone. I know of several people who couldn't be arsed going to Dublins early round games, but they are all over a trip down the M7 or whatever.

If the game was in Kilkenny a weekend would be made out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Can only be good for the Kilkenny economy I suppose, if some Dubs make a weekend out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Portlaoise only has 6000 seats and its over all capacity was reduced after recent health and safety audits. I think its only around the 19,000 mark now. Nowlans is still in the upper 20,000's

Laois GAA received €800k from Central Council and another €200k from the Leinster Council to restore O'Moore Park's capacity to 25,000 earlier this year.

https://twitter.com/MidlandsSport/status/601337473709518848

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It'll be good to get to Nowlan Park again. It'll be busy getting in on the day, so some might go down the night before. May consider that. Something to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I was in kilkenny for the first dublin mayo semi this year, every stripey hoor was crowing and guffawing about the dubs demise up until the last minute

would love to get down there in 2016 to wave sam in their faces :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

2002 .The same day as the Ireland v Spain World Cup match.

The replay was on the next Saturday.

jaysus, flashback...first game of the championship was dubs against wexford in carlow a few hours after the ireland v cameroon game which kicked off about 8am if memory serves correct. it was complete bedlam, lads outta their f*ckin minds on drink running on to the pitch streaking. game was nearly abandoned, little to no security and the ref had no chance, the small terrace looked like some kind of massacre with pissed up fans passed out asleep during the game. was in a fairly bad state myself and it was a sh*t game. matt hollands daisy cutter my only clear memory of the day.

all that said i would like nothing more than to start travelling to away games again watching the dubs...I don't think there are many dub fans who wouldnt. used to be great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Nowlans is still in the upper 20,000's

I think since they built the new seated stand behind the goal, the capacity has been reduced. The attendance for the KK-Tipp hurling qualifier in 2013 was 23,307. It was wedged that night, so I can't imagine it being any higher.

Well whether its KK or Portlaoise, I still don't think that a ground with a capacity of 20,000 to 27,000 will be enough. A relatively meaningless league game in March, drew a crowd of 13,000 to a bitterly cold night McHale Park. I'd expect a heckuva lot more up for a road trip, on a nice summers day.

Plus, there are 3000-5000 odd Dublin season ticket holders who have to be taken care of first. Same for the 2000 odd Parnell Pass holders & any Laois season ticket holders. That would be 20%-25%% of the games tickets taken out of circulation, before they go on general sale..

Well whether its KK or Portlaoise, I still don't think that a ground with a capacity of 20,000 to 27,000 will be enough. A relatively meaningless league game in March, drew a crowd of 13,000 to a bitterly cold night McHale Park. I'd expect a heckuva lot more up for a road trip, on a nice summers day.

Plus, there are 3000-5000 odd Dublin season ticket holders who have to be taken care of first. Same for the 2000 odd Parnell Pass holders & any Laois season ticket holders. That would be 20%-25%% of the games tickets taken out of circulation, before they go on general sale..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

Bambi wrote: »
    I was in kilkenny for the first dublin mayo semi this year, every stripey hoor was crowing and guffawing about the dubs demise up until the last minute

would love to get down there in 2016 to wave sam in their faces :D

You think waving Sam in the faces of kk supporters would upset us? Not a chance. Still you're welcome down here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Think nowlan park can hold 24,000 max.

• Advertisement

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Think nowlan park can hold 24,000 max.

But the atmosphere of a packed ground makes it a special occasion

blackcard wrote: »
    You think waving Sam in the faces of kk supporters would upset us? Not a chance. Still you're welcome down here

Do KK people even know what/who/where Sam is? :P

Sam is a biannual tournament played between the USA and Europe. It is named after Samuel Rider. It is played alternatively in the USA and Europe

all that said i would like nothing more than to start travelling to away games again watching the dubs...I don't think there are many dub fans who wouldnt. used to be great craic.

You'll only have to wait until February to do that.
    blackcard wrote: »

They'll recognise Sam in Kilkenny. They know more about football than you think. Maybe some Kilkenny folk don't know it, but there are 9 counties that have less senior football provincial championships than Kilkenny have. The odd thing is that all those counties that have less success than the Kilkenny senior footballers have, are still prepared to field a team in the All-Ireland Championships. It's been a while, but it would be nice to see Kilkenny win another Leinster Senior Football Championship. We could then be playing them in Nowlan Park. A double header of Dublin v Kilkenny in Nowlan Park some day, now that would be a good day out.

Flukey wrote: »
    You'll only have to wait until February to do that

championship games, last one was in '06...won't be changing any time soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

There are more fans missing out on an all Ireland final than would miss out on this game. The first round games as a double header have had attendances not much more than the capacity of nowlan park, it's fine for a first round single fixture.

championship games, last one was in '06...won't be changing any time soon.

The league road trips are good too. It is something a lot of fans miss out on, because the first match of the year they go to is in June, if not later. Unfortunately a very large amount of the people that were scrambling for tickets for the last Dublin v Kerry match in Croke Park will barely even know about the next Dublin v Kerry match in Croke Park, let alone be at it.

Those league games are great, be they in Dublin or away. I may not get to all of the league games, but I hope to get to most of them, Hurling and Football. There are no clashes between the Hurling and Football matches and just one weekend when we have two away games, so it should be possible for many people to go to them all. It would be nice if more fans from all counties got going from the start of the year. Like the players themselves, it is good for the fans to warm up during the league games so that they are fit and ready for what the summer brings. I haven't been at every county ground, but I've been at most of them. It is always good to go to support Dublin, Hurling or Football, league or championship, O'Byrne Cup or Walsh Cup.

Flukey wrote: »
    The league road trips are good too. It is something a lot of fans miss out on, because the first match of the year they go to is in June, if not later. Unfortunately a very large amount of the people that were scrambling for tickets for the last Dublin v Kerry match in Croke Park will barely even know about the next Dublin v Kerry match in Croke Park, let alone be at it.

Those league games are great, be they in Dublin or away. I may not get to all of the league games, but I hope to get to most of them, Hurling and Football. There are no clashes between the Hurling and Football matches and just one weekend when we have two away games, so it should be possible for many people to go to them all. It would be nice if more fans from all counties got going from the start of the year. Like the players themselves, it is good for the fans to warm up during the league games so that they are fit and ready for what the summer brings. I haven't been at every county ground, but I've been at most of them. It is always good to go to support Dublin, Hurling or Football, league or championship, O'Byrne Cup or Walsh Cup.

indeed and fair play to you...but my point was I'd love to be able to travel to away games for the championship, not league or cup games which I do just like you and not all but some and when I can. I maybe should have clarified that in my original post but it was in response to a post when the World Cup in 2002 was on and we were still playing championship games outside of Croker I was overcome with a bit of nostalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

We'd be more than happy to show ye Liam! ;)

• Advertisement

citykat wrote: »
    We'd be more than happy to show ye Liam! ;)

Ah, no. Yer grand thanks. He's very over rated & a tad on the puny side compared to Sam. :p
    bruschi wrote: »
    There are more fans missing out on an all Ireland final than would miss out on this game. The first round games as a double header have had attendances not much more than the capacity of nowlan park, it's fine for a first round single fixture.

I know what crowds the opening round fixture @ Croke Park tend to draw. I'm not disputing them. I just think that the game will draw a bigger crowd than a 20,000 odd capacity venue can hold. A quarter final game at CP is dull as ditch water. It is the same thing every year & there is zero novelty factor, hence the crowds diminishing each year. That won't be the case for Dublin first away game in a decade imo.

Advertisement