Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Peyton Manning Retire?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Fair - like hell was it fair.
    Typical whining again from Broncos fans who always think the NFL has it in for them, probably due to their cheating antics in the past to win their SB's.

See, I can do it too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

By the way - seeing as I have been threatened again by the mods for pointing out the whining of 'some' Pats fans on the Pats thread - I will make a comment here.

Pats fans claim Goodell and the NFL have it in for them - well - the antics of the Pats over the years might have something to do with that.

However, every NFL team could claim they were unfairly treated. A few weeks ago Talib was (rightly) suspended for a game for poking Dwayne Allen in the eye - a suspension that cost the Broncos their best CB and cost Talib $350,000. Two weeks ago Cody Wallace - a 350lb centre - on purpose speared David Bruton helmet-on-helmet, nearly taking Bruton's head clean off. Wallace should have been booted out of the game and suspended by the NFL for deliberate dangerous play. Wallace was fined $23,000.

Fair - like hell was it fair.

Not threatened, i'm here to stop threads descending (due to your trolling) into complete and utter trash.

Do not post on this forum again moaning about anything Patriots related.

The once exception is if the Patriots end up playing Denver.

Any trolling or a breach of the above and you'll be taking a holiday until after the SB.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Triumphant return? They ran the rock on the ground and kept Manning nice and snug with the plays called. Osweiler had two interceptions against his name that he could hardly be blamed for.

I think they're best chance of winning in the playoffs is with Osweiler. He runs the offense as it's intended and has been playing well enough imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,854 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Triumphant return? They ran the rock on the ground and kept Manning nice and snug with the plays called. Osweiler had two interceptions against his name that he could hardly be blamed for.

I think they're best chance of winning in the playoffs is with Osweiler. He runs the offense as it's intended and has been playing well enough imo.
    They won the game, so it's a triumphant return. Beyond that it was clear that he had some power back in his arm. The ball wasn't floating like it was earlier this season.

I don't think Osweiler is good enough. I really hope they do stick with him because I'd fancy Denver will be out in the Divisional round if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Definitely noticed more zip in Peyton's throws, but we'll see how long that lasts if he's required to throw 25+ times a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Manning wants to do what Elway did win a Superbowl and retire, thats why he went to Denver and why he is still playing he got to the Superbowl a couple of years ago but he wants that second ring.

His injury though who knows we have to wait and see though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Can Peyton do it and ride off into the sunset? Who knows.

I will say though that this is a very different question than it was 6 or more weeks ago. There are 3 games left for Denver to win it all, 2 at home and 2 coming off a bye, 1 in California. It couldn't be any more ideal for Manning than this.

Was he injured, was he done, has he learned from his mistakes with the ints? Again, I don't know, but if he can limit the turnovers then the defence should be able to help do the rest.

Should he have retired before the season, maybe. But this is a completely different scenario - 6 weeks of rest, max 3 games left and a great defence.

I am a shocking homer for the Broncos, so I think they have as good a chance as anybody left. I would love for it to be with Manning - and I think a very unlikely set of circumstances have given him one last chance - but if he starts and it doesn't happen for him and Brosweiler is given the reins, then at least we won't be left wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Not threatened, i'm here to stop threads descending (due to your trolling) into complete and utter trash.

Do not post on this forum again moaning about anything Patriots related.

The once exception is if the Patriots end up playing Denver.

Any trolling or a breach of the above and you'll be taking a holiday until after the SB.

Yada yada - I wasn't trolling - the Pats fans were whinging about Manning on their thread and complaining that he was being left off the hook by Goodall and the NFL because the NFL have it in for Brady and the Pats. It was and is utter nonsense.

The fact that some Pats fans can dish it out but can't take it (and go whinging to the mods) is not my fault.

And it was a threat - post again and I will be stopped posting on the forum - the thread had already descended into complete and utter nonsense about Manning long before I posted a single comment on it yesterday.

And I wasn't moaning (in fact if you look on any posts I make on b.ie I do not moan about anything - I post in a straight forward and up front manner). Yesterday when I posted one comment on the other thread I was correcting a falsehood about Lance Armstrong and made a point that the Pats and Brady are not victims of some widespread conspiracy.

Now - if you want to suspend me for these comments then so be it - I regard free speech and defending myself and the team I support as my right.

Manning will not be able to play three games in three weeks - he just is not physically capable of it anymore. He can play a good quarter or two - or if everything goes his way he might be able to pull out a half decent game.

But he will deteriorate rapidly if he is expected to do it all - and the Broncos will be done in the play-offs. The Broncos OL is not good enough to give him a pocket. Manning cannot throw any kind of medium to long pass so the defence can cover the short routes, pin their ears back and just come after him - and Manning will throw up interceptions instead of standing in the pocket and taking the hits (hits that Osweiler has taken and avoided throwing INTs).

If the Broncos want to go for the SB then they have to plan to use Osweiler - relying on Manning will not cut it.

Knex. wrote: »
    Definitely noticed more zip in Peyton's throws, but we'll see how long that lasts if he's required to throw 25+ times a game.

He threw a total of 9 passes.

• Advertisement

Just went back and checked the play by play - Manning threw nine passes and completed five - he threw four passes over ten yards and completed one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

JRG is taking a short forum holiday. Please dont respond to any of his previous posts, some have been deleted to tidy up the thread.

Just been reading up on Manning's contract - and it could impact on who plays for the Broncos at QB

If Manning plays 70%+ of the snaps in the AFC Championship game (assuming the Broncos get there) and the Broncos win - Manning gets a bonus of $2million

If Manning plays 70%+ of the snaps in the Superbowl and the Broncos win - Manning gets a further bonus of $2million

If the Broncos are in play I wouldn't be surprised to see Osweiler play at least 31% of the offensive snaps - but to be honest the Broncos haven't a hope of winning if Osweiler isn't playing the majority of either game anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You obviously have a very low opinion of the front office. No way they bench Manning and risk losing a game like that for the sake of $2m. Absolutely no way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,088 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

A short holiday was an understatement!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

adrian522 wrote: »
    You obviously have a very low opinion of the front office. No way they bench Manning and risk losing a game like that for the sake of $2m. Absolutely no way.
    Jaysus - I try a tongue-in-cheek comment and get this :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Any interest in an even money bet that they'll lose their first playoff game? I'll take them to win
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Sure yeah. I'll do up to €50. You can PM to confirm.
    Good stuff, 50 it is. Cheers

Forgot about this. Lucky in the end. Throw it to some good cause. Im due a donation anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Forgot about this. Lucky in the end. Throw it to some good cause. Im due a donation anyway

That's very sound! Charity of choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Although both Manning and Belichick declined to go into specifics about what was said, NFL Network captured the audio of Manning’s half of the conversation.

“Hey, listen, this might my last rodeo. So, it sure has been a pleasure,” Manning told Belichick.

Advertisement