Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,979 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Donut craze seems to have died down, 2 shops gone already and I see prices reducing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

rob316 wrote: »
    Donut craze seems to have died down, 2 shops gone already and I see prices reducing.

Whats the order place ? I know oh my donut is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Interesting, which other one is gone? Looks like the Shack will come out on top from the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,979 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Whats the order place ? I know oh my donut is gone

Cream on oliver plunkett street and I see their Daunt Square place are doing all donuts for €2 now.

Huckleberrys and The Shack to last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

It was inevitable. I wonder how Sticky Fingers is doing. I think Huckleberrys will be fine due to being first and their huge social media following (although I have passed it quite a lot recently and have not seen anyone inside there buying anything). The Shack is always full whenever I pass it, their location couldn't be better. It is also clever having all of their doughnuts at the window (I see many people standing looking in), and their choice is a lot higher than Huckleberrys (and much more consistent). The only of the doughnuts available I actually buy now is the regular sugar one in The Shack (I think it is €2/€2.50), but even at that not often - you could probably buy 12 just as good in Dunnes for the same price.

• Advertisement

Is Oh My definitely gone? They were claiming to be on summer holidays on their Facebook but that's been going on too long now to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bizz213

Oh my is definitley gone. Trying to sell the lease at the moment. Shack will be gone before xmas as penneys start to build there.

bizz213 wrote: »
    Oh my is definitley gone. Trying to sell the lease at the moment. Shack will be gone before xmas as penneys start to build there.
    ...? The Shack is nowhere near Penneys? There are two buildings and an alleyway separating them on Oliver Plunkett Street and at least six on the other street (Cook Street? I suck at street names). I can't image the new Penney's being that big (or at least I hope not as many of those buildings, especially The Shack's, are really nice and it would be sad to see them going). Also, planning permission hasn't even been sought for yet so it wouldn't be Christmas, and The Shack would probably just move elsewhere, maybe where Cream were.

Also, speaking of Penneys, would that mean the end of Vero Moda, Jack & Jones and Tiger (at least in those spots)? That would be a shame. As well, the internals of the Vero Moda and Jacks & Jones store are really nice, especially the pretty grand staircase. I couldn't see Penney's fitting into.. that style. It is possible Jack & Jones and Vero Moda could both move into the recently amalgamated building next to Golden Discs but it would still be sad seeing them moving from where they are. Honestly, I wouldn't be against the refusal of permission if Penneys plan on taking up that whole block on Patrick's Street (I thought it was just on Oliver Plunkett Street).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

DylanGLC wrote: »
    ...? The Shack is nowhere near Penneys? There are two buildings and an alleyway separating them on Oliver Plunkett Street and at least six on the other street (Cook Street? I suck at street names).

Pennys have big plans going back years including a controversial takeover of a public laneway (Elbow Lane):

http://www.irishexaminer.com/property/commercial/penneys-are-on-a-roll-264817.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pennys have big plans going back years including a controversial takeover of a public laneway (Elbow Lane):

http://www.irishexaminer.com/property/commercial/penneys-are-on-a-roll-264817.html

Sure half the lane ways in Cork are defacto private lanes now, anyway.

The one by the left side of the Bodega running to North Main Street is permanently locked and the lane ways leading from Pope's Quay to Dominick Street are locked at the whims of the residents, night or day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Does anyone know what's going into the former Centra in the middle of Douglas? When I passed there recently there seemed to be some work going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,344 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anymore talk of Forever 21 coming to Cork?

Anyone hear anything official on what's happening with the porterhouse? It appears to be closed completely as a pub from what I can see, though it appears to still have some presence if you are eating in Holy Smoke.

They made a massive error in judgement by not separating the Porterhouse and Holy smoke imo. They had to get rid of the shuffle board table, they had to stop the quiz and basically all music etc (due to noise in the restaurant) and they got rid of the original 2 for 1 Tuesdays deal which was brilliant value. The place used to be hopping on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and always busy on Friday's.

Last time or two I was in there it was totally dead, they really killed the place and its a pity as they had nice beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Same about portourhouse it's long gone at this stage.

Was a lovely bar with loads of really nice beer.

Last time I was there I did not know it had closed down as now it's just a bar with no name. They are going to be adding the bar into the holly smoke for more sitting down.

Holly smoke I don't get been there 3 times once fantastic the 2 other times it was shocking.

But they are opening a new bar at the end with urban jungle used to be and it's going to be craft beer and retro games could be good.

But I will miss the porterhouse was always my go to 1st bar of the night drinking as had good music good beer and all ways a good crowd they messed up on a good pub there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Malari wrote: »
    Does anyone know what's going into the former Centra in the middle of Douglas? When I passed there recently there seemed to be some work going on.

Il padrino by all accounts
    only problem with that is that it probably will close the other Italian a few doors up..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dbu wrote: »
    only problem with that is that it probably will close the other Italian a few doors up..

Marcello's. I've heard it's pretty good. Anyone been?
    Il Padrino will do well in Douglas, alright - it's really average food and a huge menu. A winning formula for Douglas!

But I will miss the porterhouse was always my go to 1st bar of the night drinking as had good music good beer and all ways a good crowd they messed up on a good pub there

It would be great if someone else in the city took on the franchise, anyone who was in there when it was busy would know it would be popular if done right. A busier location could only help it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Malari wrote: »

Douglas is in a weird situation where it simultaneously has lots of empty units while also being completely over saturated in restaurants, bars, barbers, banks, supermarkets and almost anything else you'd associate with a suburb. I struggle to think what its missing in terms of filling the empty units? Maybe an independent coffee shop? Even that would still struggle with all of the starbucks, costa, gloria jeans etc on top of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

snotboogie wrote: »
    Douglas is in a weird situation where it simultaneously has lots of empty units while also being completely over saturated in restaurants, bars, barbers, banks, supermarkets and almost anything else you'd associate with a suburb. I struggle to think what its missing in terms of filling the empty units? Maybe an independent coffee shop? Even that would still struggle with all of the starbucks, costa, gloria jeans etc on top of it.

Doughnut place? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The shelf company that owns Il Padrino had a planning notice in the window of the Centra even before it closed. Douglas could probably get away with one more bar, maybe a seafood restaurant or something like that. Not so sure about another Italian restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭RINO87

The shelf company that owns Il Padrino had a planning notice in the window of the Centra even before it closed. Douglas could probably get away with one more bar, maybe a seafood restaurant or something like that. Not so sure about another Italian restaurant.

Douglas badly needs a new bar.... The ones there at the moment are horsesh1te. Find myself going to St.Colimbas hall even on occasion!!!!

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Anymore talk of Forever 21 coming to Cork?
    Maybe in 83-85 St Patrick's Street?
    Just a few doors up, work has been completed on the revamp of 83-85 Patrick St. The three buildings have been combined into one larger unit to meet modern retail needs and are understood to be attracting significant interest from high-end fashion retailers.

I saw work going on in it a few weeks ago, people working on the second floor. Has anyone else heard anything about it?

Also, does anyone know what is going on with Easons? I feel like that scaffolding has been up for a year or two..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

snotboogie wrote: »

You are spot on! It's really strange to see the empty units (Extravision,Centra, Donovans etc) - such a HUGE empty space- but like you say, no idea what type of business could survive there. Maybe a permanent place to house the Saturday market traders? A mini English market?

UDw8Dsv.jpg

On Oliver Plunkett Street in the old O2 store next to Penneys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Anyone hear anything official on what's happening with the porterhouse? It appears to be closed completely as a pub from what I can see, though it appears to still have some presence if you are eating in Holy Smoke.

Why did they make those changes? Did they think it wasn't making money with the old set-up?

A full time shift supervisor is being hired for one of the city centre Starbucks stores - maybe for the new one on the South Mall? Anyone have any idea when it is opening? https://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1657032

Also, Caffe Nero are also hiring for their Oliver Plunkett Street store now so I imagine that will be open by the end of next month/start of Decemeber

Why did they make those changes? Did they think it wasn't making money with the old set-up?

I honestly think it was just badly thought out. They wanted the restaurant and thought it would work well to have it pretty much in the same room as the pub but that meant removing some of the major things that were bringing people into the pub (along with the beer).

I think they assumed people would still come in reasonable numbers but that wasn't the case. The restaurant is noting to do with the porterhouse brand either, the porterhouse is a franchised pub and the holy smoke is totally separate opened up by the person running the complex.

Does anyone know what the scaffolding at Easons is for? I feel like it has been there for at least a year and it doesn't look like anything is being done..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I honestly think it was just badly thought out. They wanted the restaurant and thought it would work well to have it pretty much in the same room as the pub but that meant removing some of the major things that were bringing people into the pub (along with the beer).

I think they assumed people would still come in reasonable numbers but that wasn't the case. The restaurant is noting to do with the porterhouse brand either, the porterhouse is a franchised pub and the holy smoke is totally separate opened up by the person running the complex.

Yeah, heard from someone there of a Friday night when it would have been hopping in the old days, it was deserted.

Advertisement