Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Pulled donuts!

:pac:

My cousin says that to figure what the next food craze will be in Ireland next year or in 18 months, check out what the current food craze is in New York.

Murrisk wrote: »
    :pac:

My cousin says that to figure what the next food craze will be in Ireland next year or in 18 months, check out what the current food craze is in New York.

Cookie dough it is so. It's a licence to print money in NYC at the moment, queues for DO start on the other side of the street in the middle of the day on a random weekday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Hasn't cookie dough been around for ages in products? Unless they are serving it in some new way? Must have a Google, I'm curious now!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Murrisk wrote: »
    Hasn't cookie dough been around for ages in products? Unless they are serving it in some new way? Must have a Google, I'm curious now!

Most "new" trends aren't actually new.
    People were talking about fancy donuts when they came back from the States in the late eighties.
    They've been making burritos in Mexico for generations.
    Bone broths might be the next "new" thing that is actually really old.
    Pulled pork? Nothing new there.

Bubble tea is about the only actual new trend I can think of off hand and that hasn't taken off here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

When I saw Oh My Donut opening as well as Huckleberry's, I thought only one could survive. Huckleberry's clearly are the main one right now, even if they have the 'worst' location. I was again surprised to see The Shack open, although it is in a perfect location and I have only heard great things about it. A fourth one opened last week, by the corner of Paul Street and Grand Parade, I think (to the side of McDonalds). I honestly don't know where another one could go that isn't too close to everything else (maybe Emmett Place?).

I have only been to Oh My Donut and Huckleberry's so I can only comment on them. Oh My Donut was nice but I honestly wouldn't call what they sell doughnuts. They were more like buns with toppings. Huckleberry's were the same, however they taste so good I can get over it. Probably the best of all of them is the McDonalds doughnut, though, and it is probably the cheapest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

rob316 wrote: »
    The Shack is atleast the only one that make their donuts in house as they are part of O Keefe's Bakery.

I'm certain Ali's Kitchen do as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Apt8

Bubble tea is about the only actual new trend I can think of off hand and that hasn't taken off here.

There was a place called Boba's on MacCurtain street around Summer 2013, remember the girl running the place was always outside giving samples. I tried one and the pearls were nice, just far too sweet for me. That particular location is terrible anyway, Tandoori Nights there now and it's always empty.

This whole trend of beer/whiskey and donut pairings is ridiculous, seen a few places doing it in the last year and I can't fathom how people go for it. Well hopefully it'll lead to a falling trend in skinny jeans on hipsters :P

• Registered Users Posts: 30,187 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The Works opened in Blackpool Today. I think one opened in Wilton last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭thomil

Starbucks have opened their store in Ballincollig over the weekend. They're taking up pretty much the entire former coach house in front of Ballincollig shopping centre. I don't have any pictures at the moment, but the outside signs are pretty unassuming.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

thomil wrote: »
    Starbucks have opened their store in Ballincollig over the weekend. They're taking up pretty much the entire former coach house in front of Ballincollig shopping centre. I don't have any pictures at the moment, but the outside signs are pretty unassuming.

DCBwpWzXkAAihub.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bizz213

Cream. The donut shop that opened on Daunt Sq few weeks ago are opening 2nd store on Oliver Plunkett street, near the Shack. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

That's 5 doughnut shops in Cork now, what's the magic number for market saturation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Its crazy with the donut places now 5 in 7 months have opened. I am all for one for the jobs they make but really how many donuts can you sell a day ?.

I tryed cream last weekend there ok not great at all as there is barely anything in them but there was 5 or 6 girls working in a donuts shop and you don't make your own donuts ?. Tell me where the profit is in that business ?.

I tryed cream last weekend there ok not great at all as there is barely anything in them but there was 5 or 6 girls working in a donuts shop and you don't make your own donuts ?. Tell me where the profit is in that business ?.

This is something I often wonder about a lot of shops!

Its crazy with the donut places now 5 in 7 months have opened. I am all for one for the jobs they make but really how many donuts can you sell a day ?.

I'm not sure long term but I saw a picture on facebook a week or so ago of a massive queue outside the Shack on a recent Saturday morning waiting for it to open so they are certainly selling at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

How much are the donuts? 3 Euro maybe. What do you think those cost to make? I'd be surprised if it's as high as 50 cent. So say that gives you a target of 4 per hour just to cover one staff member for their time.

I'm always fascinated by these fads and how rapidly these businesses can expand. Whoever is financing these expansions must know that it ain't sustainable in even the medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Donuts to me seem like an occasional treat you wouldn't feel like consuming every day unlike coffee or sandwiches etc. I do wonder how sustainable these businesses are in the long term. I think a lot of people see these start ups in vogue businesses with queues outside the door in the first few weeks because of the novelty and think "I can do that" and it generates copy cat businesses until they all cannibalise each other's trade to all become loss making.  (Burrito bars, smoothie bars, multi flavour milkshake shops all seem to have had similar copy cat trends).  Fair dues if they succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The only way this growth can be sustained is with the legalisation of cannabis

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

D'Agger wrote: »
    The only way this growth can be sustained is with the legalisation of cannabis

Or a huge increase in an Gardaí!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Home Sense opened today in Capitol Cinema Complex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Work has begun on the old Boardwalk bar next to the Clarion/Clayton Hotel.

Looks like is will be a Mexican Bar and Restaurant called Tequila Jacks.

https://www.facebook.com/TequilaJacksBar/

Was out walking the other day and seen that the new lidl up in churchfield the units they built in front have put in planing to open a costa in it and being honest i think its great as there is really notting on that part of the city to sit down and have a coffee and i am looking hoping it gets planing now.

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread that Dealz was opening in Douglas Village. It appears now it's opening in Douglas Court. They had interviews a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread that Dealz was opening in Douglas Village. It appears now it's opening in Douglas Court. They had interviews a few weeks ago.

It is opening tomorrow

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    It is opening tomorrow

Thanks, I might have a look someday if I'm around!

Newbridge Silverware are opening a store in Mahon Point in mid August!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

I heard a whisper that the recently closed JD Gatleys (formerly Sams Bar) in Ballincollig is being re-opened. Hope it's correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bizz213

Starbucks opening on Southmall/parliment bridge where old Java Juice bar is. Across 2 buildings by looks of it. Possibly upstairs as well

bizz213 wrote: »
    Starbucks opening on Southmall/parliment bridge where old Java Juice bar is. Across 2 buildings by looks of it. Possibly upstairs as well

Stop after they are told to close down on Patrick's st will they ever give up ?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

bizz213 wrote: »

Not a fan of Starbucks but great to see that corner building finally being renovated ('reassembled' might be more accurate!)

Advertisement