Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,821 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You should contact your travel insurance regarding the expense of making your way home. You can only ask.

Expecting a response from Aer Lingus within one working day is a bit ridiculous.

I have contacted my insurer. They said contact the airline.

I don't/didn't expect a response from Aer Lingus within one working day. I asked if anyone knew how long was reasonable to allow them to even acknowledge receipt of the online claim form (I haven't even got that much) without risking falling foul of a deadline ruling out a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Could somebody please tell me how long it would be to walk from Bus Stop 8 Zone 12 to Terminal 1?
    I have never been in Dublin Airport before.
    Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

So I think I posted here about the crappy flight I had to Tenerife at Christmas. Basically didn't get the extra legroom or an aisle seat that I had booked and paid for so suffered extreme claustrophobia and anxiety for the whole flight. Staff couldn't be any LESS helpful, extremely rude.

They more or less said "yeah you'll get a refund, email customer service". So that's what I did. Got a reply today:

As we advise during the booking process, we endeavor to honor advance seating requests, however, we cannot guarantee any particular seat, including those for which a fee was paid. We reserve the right to assign or reassign seats at any time, even after boarding of the aircraft. This may be necessary for operational, safety or security reasons. If possible, we attempt to assign the closest equivalent to what was requested or purchased, but this is not always possible as no such seats may be available.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

No mention of the refund!!!

Now I know it's not a huge amount of money but it's the principle of the matter, I paid for something, didn't get it and now I want my money back. What's complex about that?

Have to say I'm extremely disappointed in Aer Lingus, I paid 200 more in total than I would have with Ryanair because I was nervous of more Ryanair cancellations. Can't say I'll ever do it again. Flight exactly the same as a Ryanair flight, service worse. 200 notes extra, not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

pilly wrote: »
    So I think I posted here about the crappy flight I had to Tenerife at Christmas. Basically didn't get the extra legroom or an aisle seat that I had booked and paid for so suffered extreme claustrophobia and anxiety for the whole flight. Staff couldn't be any LESS helpful, extremely rude.

Sure try the Small Claims Court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Before the small claims court, simply remind them that you paid for a service that was not provided, and hence are due a refund.

Personally I think it's a disgraceful stance that airlines take on this, very few places you'd get away with it otherwise.

Pat Dunne wrote:
    Sure try the Small Claims Court.

Is this sarcasm?

JCX BXC wrote:
    Personally I think it's a disgraceful stance that airlines take on this, very few places you'd get away with it otherwise.

To me it's like booking a suite in a hotel, just getting an ordinary room and not getting the difference in price back.

The airlines know they can push people around and quote T&Cs ad infinitum in the hope that they go away. The only way to get satisfaction is to go to small claims but that costs €25 and valuable time. The airlines know this.

Perhaps a complaint to relevant authorities would be longer but less costly and hopefully highlight the issue?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

To me it's like booking a suite in a hotel, just getting an ordinary room and not getting the difference in price back.

I had the same issue with Aer Lingus in November.
    I filled out the form on their website, received an acknowledgement immediately and a week later received a refund of the cost of the seat.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I had the same issue with Aer Lingus in November.
    I filled out the form on their website, received an acknowledgement immediately and a week later received a refund of the cost of the seat.
    Yeah if you’ve specifically paid for seat you didn’t get on the day for operational reason then I’d defiantly remind them of this maybe through a formal complaint on their website. You’ll need to provide your booking reference number etc from the flight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭joeysoap

They more or less said "yeah you'll get a refund, email customer service". So that's what I did. Got a reply today:

As we advise during the booking process, we endeavor to honor advance seating requests, however, we cannot guarantee any particular seat, including those for which a fee was paid. We reserve the right to assign or reassign seats at any time, even after boarding of the aircraft. This may be necessary for operational, safety or security reasons. If possible, we attempt to assign the closest equivalent to what was requested or purchased, but this is not always possible as no such seats may be available.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

No mention of the refund!!!

Now I know it's not a huge amount of money but it's the principle of the matter, I paid for something, didn't get it and now I want my money back. What's complex about that?

Have to say I'm extremely disappointed in Aer Lingus, I paid 200 more in total than I would have with Ryanair because I was nervous of more Ryanair cancellations. Can't say I'll ever do it again. Flight exactly the same as a Ryanair flight, service worse. 200 notes extra, not worth it.

Sounds like passengers who should have booked have booked ( but didn’t )extra leg room (for the same reasons you did) hassled the cabin crew into getting them the seats they wanted. I have been asked (nicely) by AL cabin crew if I would change seats before and have a lot of sympathy for them in such circumstances. Until recently this never happeed on RY but seat swopping among passengers is common there now. (RY cabin crew don’t get involved)

You were unlucky that the crew weren’t more helpful, they usually are.

Airlines really should have ‘ a double your refund’ policy when this happens.

Is this sarcasm?

No, it's not.
    I have found the Small Claims Court to be excellent, especially in Consumer related matters.

Pat Dunne wrote:
    No, it's not. I have found the Small Claim Court to be excellent, especially in Consumer related matters.

Oh right sorry. Problem is its such a small amount the charge is not worth it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Unicrons Dad

I'm booking my flights to Orlando tonight the best choice is between united or aer lingus, there's are a few pros and cons to each

1.aerlingus is direct
    2.aerlingus is 100 euro more exp
    3.aerlingus flight is much later at 15:00 the united one is 09:20 so even though theres a lay over with united it still gets there before aerlingues

opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I'm booking my flights to Orlando tonight the best choice is between united or aer lingus, there's are a few pros and cons to each

1.aerlingus is direct
    3.aerlingus flight is much later at 15:00 the united one is 09:20 so even though theres a lay over with united it still gets there before aerlingues

opinions?

Question is a bit off topic but my thoughts:

Are you traveling with kids?
    If so connecting might be a bit of a hassle.

Do you have any status with aerlingus you want to maintain?

If so the tier credits and a direct flight might be worth 100 euro. Not to mention priority boarding and lounge access.

Do you have far to travel once you land? If not the later arrival may not be much of an issue.

Do you have to connect on the way home with aerlingus? I believe you have to do jetblue to Boston on the way back some days so you may as well go United in that case.

If it were me with my own cash and without the kids I'd probably take the 777 with United and connect in Newark.

With kids, if they are a bit younger I'd consider paying the extra to go direct and avoid hassle.

Did you price the American flight (on an a330) through Charlotte? Connection is a little tight at 1hr 25 but doable.

Calm it Pat, I see no disrespect in the response.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

1.aerlingus is direct

opinions?
    Same as above I’d say if you have kids definitely go for the direct option. Also after a busy holiday in Florida you’ll be soo happy you can just deal with one airport and one flight to get home and not have to deal with connections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Also bear in mind that if you have kids, that €100 saving by going with UA will quickly dissipate when buying food/drinks ect during the layover in EWR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Also bear in mind that if you have kids, that €100 saving by going with UA will quickly dissipate when buying food/drinks ect during the layover in EWR.

EWR is no longer cheap now they have gotten rid of your standard McDonalds/Pizza etc to be replaced by own brand food which is expensive.

Look 7 hours to NY. 2 hours on the ground and then 2.5 hours to Orlando. On and off the aircraft, moving etc

VERSUS

9 hours direct with Aer Lingus.

WITH KIDS?????

If it was €1000 extra I would still go direct!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

My airline arranged a replacement flight for me, which I only found out about on Sunday 4th on visiting their website. There was no contact with me. If you have source please quote. T
    hanks

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

dohouch wrote: »
    My airline arranged a replacement flight for me, which I only found out about on Sunday 4th on visiting their website. There was no contact with me. If you have source please quote. T
    hanks

If you are asking if it was possible to access Dublin Airport on Thursday 1st March. The answer is yes, I used my car to go to T1, I arrived at about 10:00am. At that time the only significant difficulty was for drivers açcessing the ramp to Departures at T1. Other than that it was grand.
    I used the M50, Ballymun exit, Dardistown Cross and in by the Fuel Depot and it was fine. No hold ups or hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 midlandsbased

Hi, I'm getting conflicting times online for when 1) the preclearance desk opens in Dublin Airport and 2) when the preclearance lounge opens.

I'm flying out in March at 9:20 so just looking at the value of going to the preclearance lounge but if the preclearance desk isn't open until 7am (as I'm hearing) I don't think the amount for the lounge is a runner!

Can anyone let me know about either 1) or 2) ?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Hi, I'm getting conflicting times online for when 1) the preclearance desk opens in Dublin Airport and 2) when the preclearance lounge opens.

I'm flying out in March at 9:20 so just looking at the value of going to the preclearance lounge but if the preclearance desk isn't open until 7am (as I'm hearing) I don't think the amount for the lounge is a runner!

Can anyone let me know about either 1) or 2) ?

Cheers!

07.00 is correct and the lounge opens at 07.00 but prehaps email the daa to confirm lounge times. Security opens before 07.00 so if your cleared security you will clear the customs area in minutes at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

The Norwegian 08:10 flight to SWF does that do precleance? Was looking at it and it might be a bit tight to clear US Immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

jjbrien wrote: »
    The Norwegian 08:10 flight to SWF does that do precleance? Was looking at it and it might be a bit tight to clear US Immigration.

It will but pre clearance will start at 06.30 (security 06.00) like for the EI 07.50 to JFK.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    07.00 is correct and the lounge opens at 07.00 but prehaps email the daa to confirm lounge times. Security opens before 07.00 so if your cleared security you will clear the customs area in minutes at that time.

Thanks for that Jamie. I've tweeted @askDUBairport as well to confirm the lounge times. Doesn't seem worth it then to go for the lounge.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    It will but pre clearance will start at 06.30 (security 06.00) like for the EI 07.50 to JFK.

Hi Jamie,

Is there different preclearance times for different flights? Excuse my ignorance...

Advertisement