Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I've booked a flight to New York but I am very confused about the baggage allowance.

The flight is booked as an Air France flight, but the flight itself is being operated by Delta.

What I can't understand is which carriers baggage policy do I need to follow? AF seem to have a free checked in bag while Delta charge 50 euro a bag.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Booked carrier policy will apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

L1011 wrote: »
    Booked carrier policy will apply.

Thanks you very much for the reply. So it's Air Frances policy which is a free checked bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Thanks you very much for the reply. So it's Air Frances policy which is a free checked bag!
    It depends on the fare you booked. If you booked an Air France "Light" fare, baggage is not included. Your booking should clearly say what's included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

I'm departing BKK airport with Emirates tomorrow morning at 9.30,. It's 5,20am here now so I'm 28 hours early 😥
    Do you think they would let me check in my luggage and give me boarding pass to go airside in the next hour or 2?? Or how soon could I go airside

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

More than 24h early is improbable - there may even be issues if the flight number is the same every day (as is normal), you basically might not exist yet considering how antiquated many airline systems are.

You may as well ask but I would see more than 24 hours as impossible and more than 12 as unlikely

I'll just hunker down in the observation deck for the next 24 hours so 😢😢

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Is there a left luggage? why not take a trip into the city and look around? I was there years ago at the old airport and walked across the road to the local train. It was like an indiana jones movie. No windows, chickens and animals and things. Only cost about 20p or so but was an eye opener for the real Bangkok.

Glad I did it!

Ive explored the real Bangkok enough and just want to get home now. I had a local guide show me around so I've seen plenty.

11 and a half hours and I can check in. At least I have wifi and charging points to keep me busy reading the snow thread

Hope I can land in Dublin tomorrow evening although I'm expecting the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Locker10a wrote: »
    Beware, both airlines gate-check cabin bags, especially Ryanair, if you’re not willing to pay for priority boarding you will have to check this equipment into the hold. Unless you can get it into a small laptop size bag that will go under your seat.

I haven't flown in a long time sorry about this.but if i arrive to Ryanair with one small bag(for 2 days) that they deem to big they will make me put it in the hold for no charge?
    By the way I haven't paid for Priority boarding.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Yes, their rules are on their website, but only priority passengers are permitted all their carry on luggage on the aircraft

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

Hope I can land in Dublin tomorrow evening although I'm expecting the worst

Spend those 11.5 hours doing contingency planning. Assume your flight wont get into Dublin ( or, for example LHR ) and be prepared

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'm a bit late to the party but since you probably need a change of scenery now, see if you can buy lounge access.

Tinder worked, I had dinner in a girls house. She cooked for me and gave me beer.

Otnly 2 hours till check in now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 cestmoi2

Hi all!

Have two early morning flights soon and will need to get breakfast at airport. Are there any establishments that aren't totally horrific? I have had fairly bad experiences in both Chopped and the Slaney...would appreciate your thoughts! Otherwise should I just get something to go from Wrights and Howth? First world problems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Try the harvest market if you're in T2, they have a breakfast buffet. Scrambled egg isn't the best but other than that it's decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭VG31

Refuel beside gate 301 do a nice Irish breakfast for €9.95. I've also had breakfast at Marqette, Alcock & Brown and the Garden Terrace before but Refuel was the nicest. It's not as busy as most of the other places as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Hi -

I am booked on an 11 am flight tomorrow (uk stobbart)

AL just txt to say it is delayed. But the 6am flight is also delayed to 11 am.

I just made the change (for free) - was this wise - as I will have no chance of getting there at 640..

I don’t really understand your question but things defiantly have a better chance later in the day tomorrow. You may have delays but hopefully you’ll get going around the afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

I was scheduled to fly on the 11am.

When I got told there were delays, I checnged my flight to the 6am.

I will not be able to get to airport at 6am, but the AL website says this will not leave until 1030 (close to the time of my original flight).

Was this a mad decision to change, basically I am hoping that AL will not magically get the 6am flight leaving at 6am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Hey was meant to fly to Mia on the second but fight was cancelled. I was curious and checked the return leg Mia-Dub but that’s showing okay On both Aer Lingus website and Miami airports departure webpage, would they have chartered in an aircraft to operate that flight to aid in getting things back to normal ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

EI-ELA is on her way to Dublin right now

Aircraft left Dublin on Thursday to Orlando and stayed Thursday night in Orlando as Dublin was effectively close Friday.

Friday flew to Miami to operate the Miami Dublin flight, currently on its way to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

EI-ELA is on her way to Dublin right now

Aircraft left Dublin on Thursday to Orlando and stayed Thursday night in Orlando as Dublin was effectively close Friday.

Friday flew to Miami to operate the Miami Dublin flight, currently on its way to Dublin

Good use of aircraft. Would it have both passengers from Orlando and Miami onboard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,821 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

A gang of us were affected by the storm on Thursday.... long story short, our EI flight from LGW to DUB was cancelled, there were clearly going to be no more flights into DUB so we hired a car and drove to Holyhead and eventually got out on the last ferry.

We've submitted the online cancellation claim form on the Aer Lingus website - heard nothing back. Contacted the travel agent with whom the flights were originally booked (it was the last leg of a long haul trip) - they said contact your insurers. Travel insurance said contact the airline. Round and round and round we go.

Does anyone know a) if we're entitled to a refund on the flight not used, given that it was weather that forced its cancellation, and b) if we'd be entitled to expenses in getting ourselves home by a different means than flying? We spent quite a bit, but the alternative would have been to be stuck in London for at least two nights which none of us were up for.

Just not sure where/who to try to follow up with, the deafening silence from everyone is slightly unnerving! (I realise it's still fairly soon after the event, and all the companies are probably snowed under with similar queries)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Thanks.

Even travel insurance? I thought cases like this is exactly why we take it out! I've never had to make a claim before, hence being kinda clueless.

Any idea/experience of how long to give Aer Lingus to reply to our claim for the flight? I don't want to harrass them unnecessarily given the circumstances, but neither do I want to leave it too long and pass some deadline for claiming.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    A gang of us were affected by the storm on Thursday.... long story short, our EI flight from LGW to DUB was cancelled, there were clearly going to be no more flights into DUB so we hired a car and drove to Holyhead and eventually got out on the last ferry.

We've submitted the online cancellation claim form on the Aer Lingus website - heard nothing back. Contacted the travel agent with whom the flights were originally booked (it was the last leg of a long haul trip) - they said contact your insurers. Travel insurance said contact the airline. Round and round and round we go.

Does anyone know a) if we're entitled to a refund on the flight not used, given that it was weather that forced its cancellation, and b) if we'd be entitled to expenses in getting ourselves home by a different means than flying? We spent quite a bit, but the alternative would have been to be stuck in London for at least two nights which none of us were up for.

Just not sure where/who to try to follow up with, the deafening silence from everyone is slightly unnerving! (I realise it's still fairly soon after the event, and all the companies are probably snowed under with similar queries)

Yeah you can definitely get a refund for a cancelled flight, difficulty is what airline you apply to. If the whole journey was booked as say a BA ticket they are responsible for getting you home and possibly dealing with refunds for cancelled sectors as it would be a codeshare flight. But they may well send you to Aer Lingus anyway depending on their agreement.
    I’d chase it with both Aer Lingus and your whole journey carrier, mind you with the level of claims from the last few days I wouldn’t expect anything back for a few weeks

Locker10a wrote: »
    Yeah you can definitely get a refund for a cancelled flight, difficulty is what airline you apply to. If the whole journey was booked as say a BA ticket they are responsible for getting you home and possibly dealing with refunds for cancelled sectors as it would be a codeshare flight. But they may well send you to Aer Lingus anyway depending on their agreement.
    I’d chase it with both Aer Lingus and your whole journey carrier, mind you with the level of claims from the last few days I wouldn’t expect anything back for a few weeks

Thanks.

The whole thing was booked through Trailfinders - do they have any responsibility to help here? When I spoke to them they more or less washed their hands of it, but I thought as booking agent they'd have to have some responsibility?

The main flight was with Virgin Atlantic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

You should contact your travel insurance regarding the expense of making your way home. You can only ask.

Expecting a response from Aer Lingus within one working day is a bit ridiculous.

Advertisement