Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

moloner4 wrote: »
    Locker10a wrote: »
    Yeah but non-officially, when the false person doesn’t show at check in the seat is forfeited

Could you not buy two seats for one person? I've seen large overweight people having bought two seats before.
    Perhaps some airlines allow this, however I don’t know how you book it, I assume over the phone to an agent can put a block on the seat next to you? All I do know is I’ve seen cases where couples book a row of 3 seats so they can have a row to themselves(this was a long haul flight) and the airline checked someone into their empty seat when their “false travel companion” failed to show at check in. Airlines reserve the right to do this and you agree to it in your terms and conditions. If they need to reroute passengers who’ve missed a connection or been disrupted they will place them on standby for the next available flight and assign them any free seat that shows up in the system when the gate is closing.
    I’d imagine if you have a guitar or other item, you present it at check in and they then mark the seat as occupied but I don’t know the ins and outs at Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Would there be any correlation between scanning the boarding card at security and the airline?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Flying with ryanair soon.
    I have the boarding cards on the app sorted.
    What do you do when you arrive at the airport?
    Do you just go straight to bag drop?

Thanks

Flying with ryanair soon.
    I have the boarding cards on the app sorted.
    What do you do when you arrive at the airport?
    Do you just go straight to bag drop?

Thanks

Bag drop (if you've check-in luggage), then go security, then go to gate. You can shop along the way if you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Would there be any correlation between scanning the boarding card at security and the airline?
    A few years ago easyJet trialled something at LGW where if you hadn’t cleared security something like 35 mins before departure you’d be offloaded from the flight. I don’t know how long the trial lasted.
    But I don’t think the security boarding pass scanners would be linked to the check in and reservations systems the gate staff would be using.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

A few years ago easyJet trialled something at LGW where if you hadn’t cleared security something like 35 mins before departure you’d be offloaded from the flight. I don’t know how long the trial lasted.
    But I don’t think the security boarding pass scanners would be linked to the check in and reservations systems the gate staff would be using.

For example at Dublin the US carriers use a system called bills, with that system they can see if your in pre clearance or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

Anyone know can you bring rashers and sausages into the USA now?

knockon wrote: »

That's a big no-no still.

• Advertisement

knockon wrote: »
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-43864113

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Yes you are, before you go through the secondary security and bag X-ray scanners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Heading away to the sun for a week next week. We were thinking of brining the kids scooters with us. I'm wondering does anyone know if we can transport them for free by dropping off at the equipment drop-off section. Website says they allow a free piece of equipment per child. Kids are aged 6 and 3. But I don't know if they would be classied as equipment.

Just one other question - I know the rules for baggage have changed. So I just want to make sure of one thing. There are 4 of us - 2 adults and 2 kids. We have one suitcase each.l 3 of them are within the standard size for what was carry on baggage - i.e. 55cms x 40 x 20. But one is slightly greater than the limits. We brought it last year and it got through. Nobody checked the sizes and we were able to bring on the plane. But this year it's different. We can't bring it on plane, but my understanding is that these baggages are now put in the hold. Does this happen at check in gates about 2 hours to the flight. Or is it at the gates when boarding. Has anyone any experience as to how strict Ryanair are on the sizes. I think the case is about 2 inches too wide.

Any advice is welcome.

Heading away to the sun for a week next week. We were thinking of brining the kids scooters with us. I'm wondering does anyone know if we can transport them for free by dropping off at the equipment drop-off section. Website says they allow a free piece of equipment per child. Kids are aged 6 and 3. But I don't know if they would be classied as equipment.

Just one other question - I know the rules for baggage have changed. So I just want to make sure of one thing. There are 4 of us - 2 adults and 2 kids. We have one suitcase each.l 3 of them are within the standard size for what was carry on baggage - i.e. 55cms x 40 x 20. But one is slightly greater than the limits. We brought it last year and it got through. Nobody checked the sizes and we were able to bring on the plane. But this year it's different. We can't bring it on plane, but my understanding is that these baggages are now put in the hold. Does this happen at check in gates about 2 hours to the flight. Or is it at the gates when boarding. Has anyone any experience as to how strict Ryanair are on the sizes. I think the case is about 2 inches too wide.

Any advice is welcome.
    I’ve no clue about the scooter but with your cases, I think you’ll be fine, unless it looks enormous(for cabin bag standard) the gate staff now just tag any cases at the gate during boarding and they are stored in the hold for the flight, this is free and compulsory unless you pay for priority.
    Maybe try the live chat on their website to ask about the scooter

I’ve no clue about the scooter but with your cases, I think you’ll be fine, unless it looks enormous(for cabin bag standard) the gate staff now just tag any cases at the gate during boarding and they are stored in the hold for the flight, this is free and compulsory unless you pay for priority.
    Maybe try the live chat on their website to ask about the scooter

Cheers. Will try that. Didn't know they had that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Hi all

Flying out of Dublin on the 26th May (a Saturday)

Flight leaves at 10am (Ryanair) and we arrive into Dublin Airport around 8.30am. will this be enough time do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yes that should be fine if you're only using hand baggage and don't have to check anything in. 90 minutes is do-able with a bag drop, but can be a touch tight if you don't know your way around.

Also if you're travelling distance, or on a bus, a 15 minute delay AND a bag drop will snooker you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

And it's a bit of a walk to the Ryanair gates so head straight there after security

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Just hand luggage so should be all good! Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

Is the scooter collapsible? I've brought my child's scuttlebug before no problems, it folds down and we threw it in a backpack.

It's fairly specific on the baggage restrictions-one pushchair/pram plus one of the following; car seat/booster/travel cot

No harm asking, worst they can say is no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Lol.
    Just posting to save a funny thread.

Fagashlil wrote: »
    Is the scooter collapsible? I've brought my child's scuttlebug before no problems, it folds down and we threw it in a backpack.

It's fairly specific on the baggage restrictions-one pushchair/pram plus one of the following; car seat/booster/travel cot

No harm asking, worst they can say is no

One of the scooters is collapsible. One isn't.
    Anyway, I contacted them, and they said no. Like another poster said, when you go into the wording, they are specific in what they deem to be child equipment. Can't put them into suitcases. As we only have the basis luggage allowance i.e. what they used to refer to as the free carry on baggage (but which is now put into the hold).

It doesn't really matter. It just would have been a bit of a bonus. But kids are 6 and 3 now, so can get around alright. Might buy a second hand stroller for a couple of quid for when the 3 year old gets tired. And bring that.

Just one other question, if anyone has any info. I have booked flights and have done the boarding pass check-in now. I decided to buy a cheap stroller to carry around our young fellow abroad. Got it for a tenner so can leave over there if I want.
    Will I have any issues bringing this. Is it something that I should have declared somewhere along the line when booking Ryanair tickets. Or do we just bring it to the boarding gates, along with our 4 suitcases. Ryanair staff just takes the 4 cases there to put in the hold. We bring on couple of small bags with food and drinks for kids, book etc. And we leave the little stroller beside the plane for the cargo guys to label and put on plane.

Or am I missing something.

Thanks

Just one other question, if anyone has any info. I have booked flights and have done the boarding pass check-in now. I decided to buy a cheap stroller to carry around our young fellow abroad. Got it for a tenner so can leave over there if I want.
    Will I have any issues bringing this. Is it something that I should have declared somewhere along the line when booking Ryanair tickets. Or do we just bring it to the boarding gates, along with our 4 suitcases. Ryanair staff just takes the 4 cases there to put in the hold. We bring on couple of small bags with food and drinks for kids, book etc. And we leave the little stroller beside the plane for the cargo guys to label and put on plane.

Or am I missing something.

Thanks
    No that’s fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Quick q, I've a flight booked with Finnair, but operated by American, but neither airline seem to be letting me check in online in advance (flight in less than 24 hours btw). Anyone experienced this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Quick q, I've a flight booked with Finnair, but operated by American, but neither airline seem to be letting me check in online in advance (flight in less than 24 hours btw). Anyone experienced this?

You can't check in on Finnair for codeshares. Or select seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭RadarControl

I have been based in Australia for the last 6 years. I'm moving back to Ireland at end of July. In November I need to fly to Las Vegas for a conference. I'm getting an intriguing routing with Air Canada & Air Canada Rouge via London Heathrow and Calgary. I'm used to connecting in Singapore and Hong Kong.

The stop-over in Heathrow is 2hr 5mins which looking at their site is fine. The last time I flew into Heathrow with Aer Lingus, they were using the Tube in Terminal 1. I believe both Aer Lingus and Air Canada both use Terminal 2 now so it appears on paper to be a relatively straight-forward connection.

The connection in Calgary however is only 1hr 15mins which is extremely tight in my opinion. It will be all on one ticket so not overly concerned with missing the last connection but since Las Vegas hotel is included in conference ticket just not sure what the impact is if I'm late checking in. Just looking for some advice on Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge, connecting between the two airlines and an international connection in Calgary?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tmh106

I am thinking of flying to the US with Norwegian this summer (June/July timeframe). I haven't flown with them before. How strict are they on carry-on allowances? Do the stick to the limit of the baggage dimensions/weight on their website or do they allow the kind of latitude that most other airlines seem to allow?

Thanks

• Advertisement

tmh106 wrote: »
    I am thinking of flying to the US with Norwegian this summer (June/July timeframe). I haven't flown with them before. How strict are they on carry-on allowances? Do the stick to the limit of the baggage dimensions/weight on their website or do they allow the kind of latitude that most other airlines seem to allow?

Thanks
    Similar to Ryanair and every other airline, they check in a lot of the hand luggage either at the check in desk or at the gate during boarding, if you’re worried about your bag being scrutinised for size you could volunteer it to be checked in, ground staff usually appreciate this I find as it alleviates the volume of bags being brought into the limited for space cabin lockers.

Advertisement