Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drivetime with Mary Wilson

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lenihan putting the boot in as usual, at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

Sarah McInerney sounds like a 15 year old

With what sounds like a lisp. I cannot understand a person with such poor speech quality anchoring a main current affairs strand on RTE Radio 1.

Almost unbearable in my view.

Heh heh heh heard Fitzmaurice being interviewed about the closure of Leinster House due to climate change tools.

Guy must have been a spider in a previous life , feet in every camp .

Everyone is great , nobody to blame , make sure you don’t insult anyone .... don’t take a stance, rural Ireland is on its knees.

Check out the tools over in Japan, dude, duddent seem to be on their knees Micheál, unless they are skittled on Sapporo and Asahi.

Go and take a run at yourself Micháel.

Sarah McInerney sounds like a 15 year old
    Expunge wrote: »
    With what sounds like a lisp. I cannot understand a person with such poor speech quality anchoring a main current affairs strand on RTE Radio 1.

Almost unbearable in my view.
    There was a thread here recently -- or it might even have been on AH -- where most users were praising her voice. I tend to agree, she has a great voice for radio I reckon. The Galway accent is helpful too, in this poster's humble opinion.

Jaysus... Drivetime tonight ..Bryan Murray and John Boorman giving a ‘tribute ‘ to Niall Toibín who has died.

Neither of them had a clue about the man, shambles of an interview with Mary Wilson who did her best with them, even hinting to them that Joe Lynch and Toibín were from Cork.

Surely RTE should ensure that stults like this are a bit primed before interviews like this.

Very insulting to a person like Niall, in my opinion.

Shows very poor judgement, why not wait if you are going to get the input from dudes who are ,to put it mildly , a bit skittled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Shows very poor judgement, why not wait if you are going to get the input from dudes who are ,to put it mildly , a bit skittled.

Well they had poor enough judgement to give Mary Wilson the show, and give a weekly column to Olivia O'Laaaaaaaaaaaaaary.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I haven't listened to Drivetime with MW for years since I thought to myself, she is some dose. Sounds like a Reverend Mother sometimes, and we all know what they were like.

Off button for me and will never go back.

The Olivia O'Layra is a joke surely. I always thought she called herself Olivia O'Leeeeery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Listened to this programme today in full.

Overall opinion was that its too big of a slot for just one person.

I don't know the host but she kept interrupting the guests, never letting them answer and interjecting with a clear agenda.

It really was shocking for the national broadcaster on the prime time slot.

Embarrassing for all concerned.

A bit of googling reveals she was married to Tony O'Donoghue.

Poor Tony, at least he got out.

The Olivia O'Layra is a joke surely. I always thought she called herself Olivia O'Leeeeery.

The predictable bleeding heart columns of hers are a joke as well. Same oul nonsense every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

riemann wrote:
    I don't know the host but she kept interrupting the guests, never letting them answer and interjecting with a clear agenda.

She's an eccellent presenter who has very incisive questions. Her only bad point is the constant talking over and interupting her interviewees.

bobbyss wrote: »
    She's an eccellent presenter who has very incisive questions. Her only bad point is the constant talking over and interupting her interviewees.

Two sentences which contradict each other.

riemann wrote:
    Two sentences which contradict each other.

Not really. You can be excellent at something despite flaws.

Not really. You can be excellent at something despite flaws.

No really.

riemann wrote:
    No really.

You can't be excellent and have flaws?

Well, Maradona.
    Columbus journeyed far and wide despite his dark side.
    Harvey Weinstein has a past.
    Muhammad Ali said terrible things about his opponents.
    Jimi Hendrix was kind of good at the guitar...
    Need one go on?

It's the smugness and superior tone to all of her questions that gets me.

You can't be excellent and have flaws?

Well, Maradona.
    Columbus journeyed far and wide despite his dark side.
    Harvey Weinstein has a past.
    Muhammad Ali said terrible things about his opponents.
    Jimi Hendrix was kind of good at the guitar...
    Need one go on?

A good interviewer would ask good questions and let the interviewee answer them.

A good interviewer could be a wife beating, alcoholic and it wouldn't necessarily detract from his skill as an interviewer.

Did I explain it clearly enough?

Drive time at 1748 25Nov.

They have the attack dogs out on the Oireachtas, your man Barry Lenihan slavering over a list of cock ups by the Oireachteas.

News for you Lenihan .... go finger yourself, the ploy will not shift public opinion on the outlandish wages paid in RTE.

Even got Lise Hand, not noted as pro Govt, was signed up to pile on the pressure.

Not a good strategy RTE...... I would suggest that you don’t take the Oireachtais as idiots.

Really shocked at the tone of the discussion of gambling with that Tony Ten guy, Tony O'Reilly. He was allowed to portray himself as a victim - the man is a thief. Lots of people spend too much on gambling, but they don't all steal almost two million euro from the post office. If this was somebody who withheld two million in taxes, then RTE would be telling us all about what services this money could have paid for (hospitals, sick kids etc), but this guy just gets a free pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Drive time at 1748 25Nov.

They have the attack dogs out on the Oireachtas, your man Barry Lenihan slavering over a list of cock ups by the Oireachteas.

News for you Lenihan .... go finger yourself, the ploy will not shift public opinion on the outlandish wages paid in RTE.

Even got Lise Hand, not noted as pro Govt, was signed up to pile on the pressure.

Not a good strategy RTE...... I would suggest that you don’t take the Oireachtais as idiots.

That Barry Lenihan has a George Lee way about him Slavering over all things he thinks he is bringing to public interest. Voice is a monotone and he is a sensationalist just like Lee

WE are paying a licence fee for these " journalists"

• Advertisement

Drifter50 wrote: »
    That Barry Lenihan has a George Lee way about him Slavering over all things he thinks he is bringing to public interest. Voice is a monotone and he is a sensationalist just like Lee

WE are paying a licence fee for these " journalists"

Indeed, nothing personal on the lad, but his modus operandi seems to be to adopt a doom laden voice akin to a reporter from a disaster area.

He’s like a sports reporter detailed to report on a game and when going on air gets instruction prom the producer to “Now Lenihan ,forget about how the match panned out and the scoring, just concentrate on every negative play, every mistake by everyone out there,every foul and deliver it a voice that makes it appear to be the worse game ever played”

...no problem boss.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Indeed, nothing personal on the lad, but his modus operandi seems to be to adopt a doom laden voice akin to a reporter from a disaster area.

He’s like a sports reporter detailed to report on a game and when going on air gets instruction prom the producer to “Now Lenihan ,forget about how the match panned out and the scoring, just concentrate on every negative play, every mistake by everyone out there,every foul and deliver it a voice that makes it appear to be the worse game ever played”

...no problem boss.:cool:

And the sadness and sorrow and mental anguish suffered by the losing team and their families loved ones.

Got the last 5 minutes of an interview with Fr O'Reilly.

Oh dear.

There definitely is a ‘campaign’ from RTE to try to embarrass the Govt. wherever they can.

They are still headlining this printer, hospital conditions, housing, farmers etc etc.

They still seem to be trying to put the boot in more than usual, not that they shouldn’t of course but it seems to have increased and escalated recently since RTEs financial situation became acute.

Not trying to defend the GOVT. they have screwed up far too much stuff to deserve and defense, but RTE do seem to be putting the boot in hard,

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

There definitely is a ‘campaign’ from RTE to try to embarrass the Govt. wherever they can.

They are still headlining this printer, hospital conditions, housing, farmers etc etc.

They still seem to be trying to put the boot in more than usual, not that they shouldn’t of course but it seems to have increased and escalated recently since RTEs financial situation became acute.

Not trying to defend the GOVT. they have screwed up far too much stuff to deserve and defense, but RTE do seem to be putting the boot in hard,

They must be banking on FF getting back into power.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Really, who listens to this Reverend Mother anymore on Drivetime. Had enough of that at school back in the day lol.

Anyway, radio is great, but I swerve past news programs now. Far too much self promotion going on. But anyway. I will survive!

How very brave it is of RTE, now that it is the popular and trendy thing to do, to mock the letters sent by the Parishoners to the bishop. And I suppose if they wanted one of their presenters to cover it with just the right amount of sneer, then Mary Wilson was the perfect choice. There are other religions present in Ireland right now that are more backward than the Church was back then, but RTE would never say a foul word against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Good old Mary and Councillor Flynn trying to shout each other down about Dublin`s inner city and direct provision.

Must admit I have`nt heard the term "Peter McVerry Empire" spreading like a mushroom and it needs to stop before.

Thats was a step away from the safe and narrow for Mary

I had to stifle a chuckle when Wilson asked I think, Finian McGrath ,if TDs get paid enough, and if double jobbing was a runner

He answered in the affirmative on the pay, and I thought of Maid Marian getting north of 300k pa
    for 4 hours easy airtime a week.

As for double jobbing a quick trawl through NK management would affirm that the term is not unknown in the Donnybrook area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

As for double jobbing a quick trawl through NK management would affirm that the term is not unknown in the Donnybrook area.

Too right B.

I have it on good authority that a certain "uniquely featured" GAA commentator asked for and got 5k from a club in north Mayo for hosting a Stars in Your Eyes type fund raising concert.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement