Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drivetime with Mary Wilson

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

Philip Boucher Hayes had a long piece on gene editing at the end of today's programme. It was quite interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Mary Wilson, or "Woman reading text from piece of paper" as I call her.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Someone should tell Mary Wilson that she doesn't have to fight with everyone!

There's (usually) no need for such an aggressive tone and belligerent attitude!

More people would tune in if she sounded more affable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I like Mary Wilson!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Pussyhands wrote: »
    I like Mary Wilson!

Me2. She’s better than ANY of the subs that fill in for her REGULARLY. Although I listen live to Drivetime, when it comes to podcasts I never podcast the show. I podcast Ivan Yates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭stabeek

Mary Wilson, or "Woman reading text from piece of paper" as I call her.

That's why I don't like her broadcasts.
    bureau2009 wrote: »
    Someone should tell Mary Wilson that she doesn't have to fight with everyone!.

That's why I like her broadcasts.

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Someone should tell Mary Wilson that she doesn't have to fight with everyone!

There's (usually) no need for such an aggressive tone and belligerent attitude!

More people would tune in if she sounded more affable.
    Jeez man, don't ever listen to Ivan Yates on Newstalk.

You're in for some shock, my dude

• Registered Users Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmmmm Ms Wilson got her hoop handed to her tonight 22/2.

Was interviewing the dude in Paschal Donohue’s dept ..didn’t get his name..sorry.

Minister of State like, anyway I was tackling a rare striploin and I heard her going on about two hams which were ,it appeared were ‘uncollected’ by the lad being interviewed.

Now whilst I was giving my full ..well almost ..full concentration to the striploin, I wondered why she appeared to me anyway, to be very venemous about these hams and trying to appear to have the inside track on a non issue.

This lad gave her no soot, and she came back later with a very different attitude with an abject apology.

Had her hoop handed to her, by the looks of things, and no harm given the subject matter which was hardly worthy of national exposure.

The Brenner digested his meat quite good after hearing the encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Hmmmm Ms Wilson got her hoop handed to her tonight 22/2.

Was interviewing the dude in Paschal Donohue’s dept ..didn’t get his name..sorry.

Minister of State like, anyway I was tackling a rare striploin and I heard her going on about two hams which were ,it appeared were ‘uncollected’ by the lad being interviewed.

Now whilst I was giving my full ..well almost ..full concentration to the striploin, I wondered why she appeared to me anyway, to be very venemous about these hams and trying to appear to have the inside track on a non issue.

This lad gave her no soot, and she came back later with a very different attitude with an abject apology.

Had her hoop handed to her, by the looks of things, and no harm given the subject matter which was hardly worthy of national exposure.

The Brenner digested his meat quite good after hearing the encounter.

Didn't hear it myself Brendan but will try and get it on the pad cast.

Hope those steaks weren't washed down with some cheap short dated lagers, or you might be having serious issues with the digestion later on this evening.

Didn't hear it myself Brendan but will try and get it on the pad cast.

Hope those steaks weren't washed down with some cheap short dated lagers, or you might be having serious issues with the digestion later on this evening.

Might be pulled from the cast Paddy.... y’know now that stuff works.

No..just sucking a few cans of Argus 8.5 outa Lidl, fairly severe stuff, will pull back after about five as could have a ‘whiff’ on the first tee at 0806 amárach.

Not shortdated in fairness,and the the bowels are nicely ‘set’ for a good solid release early tomorrow.

Good pressure in the C1.

Appreciate your concern, dude.

• Advertisement

Utterly fed-up with Olivia O'Leary's Drivetime Column

Eulogizing Garret Fitzgerald, yet again, calling Varadkar a strident nationalist (!!) and agonising over which Dublin FG candidate to vote for in the upcoming European elections.

Chnage the bloody record, or at least rotate the soap-box among people who might not vote like every householder in Ranelagh.

Good lad Bouch.... Four hundred and fifty theausand heauses.....

Listening to Drivetime this evening ,only with half an ear in fairness,as was chugging a few Karpakkies.

MsWilson had Reggy Doherty on and seemed in my opinion to tried to rip her out a new asshole.

Went bald headed at her,it seemed to me, all fluffed up and and angry.

Tried to take her down from the knees, for fork sake.

Fast forra’d to an interview with Eoin O ‘Broin on housing at the end of the show...
    gentle a a kitten, ever even went near his alleged fellow traveler McFeely who stiffed the taxpayer for 60big.

Concentrated on some private sector scheme and not one word about McFeely.

I found that puzzling.......anyone?

Listening to Drivetime this evening ,only with half an ear in fairness,as was chugging a few Karpakkies.

MsWilson had Reggy Doherty on and seemed in my opinion to tried to rip her out a new asshole.

Fast forra’d to an interview with Eoin O ‘Broin on housing at the end of the show...
    gentle a a kitten, ever even went near his alleged fellow traveler McFeely who stiffed the taxpayer for 60big.

Didn't hear the Regina Doherty interview.

McFeely hasn't been an active republican terrorist since he left the IRA in 1982 and joined the Communists. Eoin Ó Broin was a small child back then, living in a well-heeled area of London.

The two men have probably never crossed paths.

McFeely was only mentioned on today's programme because of Priory Hall. Still though, his is one of the most remarkable biographies in Irish public life. Half a million left underneath the bath that he'd forgotten. I always know to the nearest fiver how much I have - out of necessity.

Easy on the Karpackie, you'll be pissing it out of your arse in the morning like hot bleach.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

What's puzzling about it?, rte give foot massages to anyone and everyone who whinge about housing

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    What's puzzling about it?, rte give foot massages to anyone and everyone who whinge about housing

Is Bríd Smith in trouble in Dublin South Central or something? She's recently developed a huge interest in climate change (which is great), but only as of this year. Every time she's on Drivetime or other programmes lately, she's talking about climate action... Again, no criticism, but I'm just curious what's behind it?

Is she legit, or is she in a dogfight for the last seat in Dublin SC against Joan Collins? Maybe I'm cynical but it does seem a bit strategic, especially as her constituency continues to gentrify and austerity is probably no longer resonating there.

Is Bríd Smith in trouble in Dublin South Central or something? She's recently developed a huge interest in climate change (which is great), but only as of this year. Every time she's on Drivetime or other programmes lately, she's talking about climate action... Again, no criticism, but I'm just curious what's behind it?

Is she legit, or is she in a dogfight for the last seat in Dublin SC against Joan Collins? Maybe I'm cynical but it does seem a bit strategic, especially as her constituency continues to gentrify and austerity is probably no longer resonating there.

Don’t raise my hopes too much, please.

Don’t raise my hopes too much, please.

She was last-in in that constituency in the last election, and that's a left-leaning constituency which at the time had a much bigger working class vote. It's full of techies and brunch munchers these days, I reckon Bríd is onto a sure thing if this is a strategy of hers. She'll canter home.

Joan Trotsky Collins must be a goner though, which might cheer you up Brendan. There hasn't been a míog out of her since the economy recovered. She's looking around at the economic recovery and people enjoying themselves and hadn't a clue what's going on, like a deaf woman at a wedding.

John Murray filling in today.

Have been a critic in a positive way in the past,but have to say he is doing a very good job today.

More alert , more aggressive, more positive.

Well done John.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭deise man

John Murray filling in today.

Have been a critic in a positive way in the past,but have to say he is doing a very good job today.

More alert , more aggressive, more positive.

Well done John.

Think he's much more suited to current affairs than sport. Always comes across as being bored out of his mind on Saturday and Sunday sport.

• Advertisement

deise man wrote: »
    Think he's much more suited to current affairs than sport. Always comes across as being bored out of his mind on Saturday and Sunday sport.

Yes, always thought that too.

However the ‘experts’ in Montrose saw fit to push him into a 0900-1000 show which even a tosser like me could forecast wouldn’t work.

Lad did his best but couldn’t hack that particular gig.

Took RTÉ 5 years to realise that, but gimps like me could see it in five months.

John has a bit of ‘baggage’ from the Labour side of things, but seems to be in his comfort zone here today.

Much more tempo and enthusiasm to his delivery.

Well done John.

Jaysus

John allowing McGrath freedom for a Political Broadcast on behalf of FF.

I might have to retract my support for the lad

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

Yes, always thought that too.

However the ‘experts’ in Montrose saw fit to push him into a 0900-1000 show which even a tosser like me could forecast wouldn’t work.

Lad did his best but couldn’t hack that particular gig.

Took RTÉ 5 years to realise that, but gimps like me could see it in five months.

John has a bit of ‘baggage’ from the Labour side of things, but seems to be in his comfort zone here today.

Much more tempo and enthusiasm to his delivery.

Well done John.

Agree that John Murray is good on current affairs. Listened to the programme tonight and thought he was informed and handled it well.

RTE need to find a suitable role for him. I agree that he does sound bored on the sports programmes. Especially when he does the early morning sports bulletins on Rising Time/Morning Ireland where he reads through the script and sounds just bored. Must be weird having a high profile slot and then being a contributor on Rising Time.

I remember he was the first presenter of The Business and established that programme. He used to be the fil in presenter on Drivetime but Sarah McInerney (who I think is good( seems to have taht gig now. He also used to crop up on The Late Debate but now that is presented by Sarah McInerney and Katie Hannon and haven't heard him there in ages. I think that would be a good slot for him. He was one of the presenters of Morning Ireland also and that that has a stronger programme identity rather than a presenter identity so should be a good fit there.

I think he was a PD man rather than a Labour man in his jaunt into politics. I also remember reading before that he was the journo who took the call in the RTE Newsroom when the IRA said their ceasefire was over.

Conor84 wrote: »
    I think he was a PD man rather than a Labour man in his jaunt into politics. I also remember reading before that he was the journo who took the call in the RTE Newsroom when the IRA said their ceasefire was over.

He was definitely a PD man. He was writing Mary Harney's PR statements back in the day. I think Brendan might have meant that he's problematic from a Labour/ left perspective.

Can't tolerate him personally. His political philosophy is one that is way to the right of the electorate, then and now. Seems like a sound guy but shouldn't be doing political interviews. I assume that's why he was moved to a different parish (sports).

Don'y sense any political bias in his presenting. I know he has strong Tallaght links and I am Clondalkin - they were Mary Harney's key constituency areas - hardly a D4 paradise! Not a political thread but always respected her

He was definitely a PD man. He was writing Mary Harney's PR statements back in the day. I think Brendan might have meant that he's problematic from a Labour/ left perspective.

Can't tolerate him personally. His political philosophy is one that is way to the right of the electorate, then and now. Seems like a sound guy but shouldn't be doing political interviews. I assume that's why he was moved to a different parish (sports).

No, my bad , I meant that he was ‘ involved ‘ with a political party, but it was the PDs not Labour.

You both are correct there.

Conor84 wrote: »
    Don'y sense any political bias in his presenting. I know he has strong Tallaght links and I am Clondalkin - they were Mary Harney's key constituency areas - hardly a D4 paradise! Not a political thread but always respected her
    I don't think there's any bias in his presenting either, none that I've noticed. But (maybe this reflects badly on me) I tend to zone-out when I hear him engage with politicians. With the best will in the world, none of us are superhuman, we usually can't really suppress our political sympathies.

It's important that news journalists, in their adulthood, don't cross back and forth across the line of political acticivism. Clearly, the rules are more flexible when it comes to features and opinion.

If Jan O'Sullivan or Pat Rabbitte or Joe Higgins were working as news broadcasters, I'd be more or less equally uninterested in their broadcasts, because those would obviously be tainted, even if they try their very best to be balanced. Instincts kick in, we're all only human.

Of course, all journalist have opinions away from the mic. But if you're willing to go public with those views, they must be fairly deeply entrenched. And in any case, diismissing them is just an exercise in efficiency. We might not know the biases of all our news journalists, but why entertain the biases of those of which we are aware?

She was last-in in that constituency in the last election, and that's a left-leaning constituency which at the time had a much bigger working class vote. It's full of techies and brunch munchers these days, I reckon Bríd is onto a sure thing if this is a strategy of hers. She'll canter home.

Joan Trotsky Collins must be a goner though, which might cheer you up Brendan. There hasn't been a míog out of her since the economy recovered. She's looking around at the economic recovery and people enjoying themselves and hadn't a clue what's going on, like a deaf woman at a wedding.

Joan Collins must be reading here. Don't know if you heard Drivetime today but they played a clip of her channeling her inner Paul Gogarty and using the f word in the Dail. Hadn't seen anything or heard anything of her for years.

Strange that Sarah McInerney was back on Drivetime today. Looks like they pushed her aside for John Murray on Budget Day.

I don't think there's any bias in his presenting either, none that I've noticed. But (maybe this reflects badly on me) I tend to zone-out when I hear him engage with politicians. With the best will in the world, none of us are superhuman, we usually can't really suppress our political sympathies.

It's important that news journalists, in their adulthood, don't cross back and forth across the line of political acticivism. Clearly, the rules are more flexible when it comes to features and opinion.

If Jan O'Sullivan or Pat Rabbitte or Joe Higgins were working as news broadcasters, I'd be more or less equally uninterested in their broadcasts, because those would obviously be tainted, even if they try their very best to be balanced. Instincts kick in, we're all only human.

Of course, all journalist have opinions away from the mic. But if you're willing to go public with those views, they must be fairly deeply entrenched. And in any case, diismissing them is just an exercise in efficiency. We might not know the biases of all our news journalists, but why entertain the biases of those of which we are aware?

Pretty fair I suppose. Suppose George Lee is in a more extreme situation as he was actually a TD but he came back via The Business also and then back to the news team.

Just looking at Ivan Yates now who is probably the most well known example but he is obviously years out of politics.

There are a few in the newspapers too. John Downing who is Political Correspondent in the Indo was the Green Party PR man when they were in government and Geraldine Kennedy was a TD before being editor of The Irish Times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Sarah McInerney sounds like a 15 year old

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement