Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drivetime with Mary Wilson

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Lottie2016 wrote: »
    I enjoyed Mary Wilson's questioning of Michael O' Leary. She was well able for him and he her. I'm amused that someone would call her a 'battleaxe'. I think she comes across very capable, professional and warm.

Ah some of her questions were nonsensical

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Ah some of her questions were nonsensical

I thought her Michael O'Leary interview was better than Yates' earlier one on Newstalk but then that's setting the bar low indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I thought her Michael O'Leary interview was better than Yates' earlier one on Newstalk but then that's setting the bar low indeed.

You may be right. I listened to both as well. But Wilson asking him "will you be selling face masks on board" was just silly imo. I'm glad someone is calling out this "filling out a form" to fill some filing cabinet somewhere tis a waste of time and effort imo but we do love our forms here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

You may be right. I listened to both as well. But Wilson asking him "will you be selling face masks on board" was just silly imo. I'm glad someone is calling out this "filling out a form" to fill some filing cabinet somewhere tis a waste of time and effort imo but we do love our forms here

He told her twice that passengers would have to wear them into the airport, and still she asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Wilson giving MLMD her usual chatty vanilla interview, feeding her the ball in front of goal.

No hard questions and in fairness ML didn’t (and she could’ve of course) didn’t try to make too much of it.

• Advertisement

Wilson, threw the hammer in with the HSE tonight....

Lot of negativity, nothing positive....just hammer those trying to achieve.

Lenihan going in head first to hammer the Govt.

Meanwhile nobody let go from RTE as they suck pints over in Goggins of Monkstown.

These stults need to weeded out .

Look at Aer Lingus, get into RTE and weed out the dead wood.

Wilson joshing with RBB about haircuts.

Says everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Lenihan going in head first to hammer the Govt.

Lenihan on the left

barry-lenihan-bertie.jpg

Heh heh

Wilson tossing out the passes, Phil Ni Hea putting the ball in the net.

Incredible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

The interview with Matt Christie, Editor of Boxing UK, is probably the most Mary Wilson I have ever heard.

The high point being Mary, having looked down her nose at Matt Christie and his magazine throughout the interview for covering the fight, throwing her smoking gun of his complicity out on the table:
    "And the current cover, I think, of Boxing News reads in big letters Tyson vs Fury - it's on"
    (with an implied question mark at the end of the sentence so that Matt Christie knew that he had to be accountable to Queen Mary. )

Of course, the fight is between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua, if it was Tyson vs Fury that would mean one of the fighters fighting himself. The only gift that she has is the ability to somehow sound aloof, authoritative and smug in spite of the fact that it is obvious to everybody that she has not a clue about the topic she is discussing. Listen back for the laugh.

The interview with Matt Christie, Editor of Boxing UK, is probably the most Mary Wilson I have ever heard.

The high point being Mary, having looked down her nose at Matt Christie and his magazine throughout the interview for covering the fight, throwing her smoking gun of his complicity out on the table:
    "And the current cover, I think, of Boxing News reads in big letters Tyson vs Fury - it's on"
    (with an implied question mark at the end of the sentence so that Matt Christie knew that he had to be accountable to Queen Mary. )

Of course, the fight is between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua, if it was Tyson vs Fury that would mean one of the fighters fighting himself. The only gift that she has is the ability to somehow sound aloof, authoritative and smug in spite of the fact that it is obvious to everybody that she has not a clue about the topic she is discussing. Listen back for the laugh.
    For context: that headline was deliberately provocative, since it's a reasonable assumption (in fact, it's strongly implied) that Daniel Kinehan is still involved and generating an income from this fight, It was a really good interview, she was clearly determined to confront her guest with the problem (it is a problem) of organised crime in boxing.

Her questions were slightly brusque, but focused: "Do your readers care?", "You're sitting on the fence?", and quizzed him about his the independence of his publication. It was a robust and thorough grilling, and he ended up admitting that he was worried that his publication would lose money and influence by taking an ethical stance.

Mary Wilson may be dismissed by some as an ice-queen (I don't think she is), but that's because she's one of the most forensic, rational and yes, authoritative interviewers in RTE. if I were some PR man or similarly dodgy peddler of mistruth, I'd never agree to an interview with her. If you're a chancer, she'll find you out. I think it must be her days covering the High Court that has equipped her with this talent, she's terrific. And a Tipp woman.

She wasn’t too “forensic” with Nurse Phil ,Cat.

Just tossed out passes for Phil in front of an open goal.

Very strong anti Govt bias from that prog. Cat.

Just my opinion though, sure others will disagree.

Very strong bang of feminism too.

Better leave it at that....

She wasn’t too “forensic” with Nurse Phil ,Cat.

Just tossed out passes for Phil in front of an open goal.

Very strong anti Govt bias from that prog. Cat.

Just my opinion though, sure others will disagree.

Very strong bang of feminism too.

Better leave it at that....

Is there some kind of vacancy on the FG Executive, Brendan?

Some local authority nomination you have your eye on?

Hmm?

Is there some kind of vacancy on the FG Executive, Brendan?

Some local authority nomination you have your eye on?

Hmm?

Hah hah hah ...... none whatsoever, Ty.

What do they do in RTE... provide balance...yes that’s it.

Not looking for a spot on the Tipp selection committee are we.

Or maybe the Bansha junior camogie lasses.

Good solid corner backs needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

If you're a chancer, she'll find you out. I think it must be her days covering the High Court that has equipped her with this talent, she's terrific. And a Tipp woman.

Ha ha I think you may be looking at this through blue and yellow tinted glasses my good friend :pac:

This is the magazine cover that so offended Mary Wilson. Again, Tyson vs Joshua, not Tyson vs Fury as she said - while not a hanging offence, demonstrative of how little she was briefed on the subject.

517943.png
    Her questions were slightly brusque, but focused: "Do your readers care?", "You're sitting on the fence?", and quizzed him about his the independence of his publication

I didn't think she was inferring collusion, in the same way that one might accuse IFL of being the mouthpiece for MTK. I thought her stance was purely from a point of "looking down her nose at the morals of another". :pac:

I didn't think she was inferring collusion, in the same way that one might accuse IFL of being the mouthpiece for MTK. I thought her stance was purely from a point of "looking down her nose at the morals of another". :pac:
    I don't know what IFL and MTK are, but I know enough to know that everyone thinks that Daniel Kinehan is still involved. That's what Mary Wilson was getting at, and the editor of that publication ended up admitting that he was compromised. It was a really good interview, I recommend anyone to listen back to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

... she was clearly determined to confront her guest with the problem (it is a problem) of organised crime in boxing.........

Well I'm shocked!

Who would ever imagine that the snow white world of boxing might have a link to organised crime.

How long has this been going on ?

( MW picked a soft target and fluffed it :rolleyes: )

Her broadcasting style from how Beaks addressed her ? ( might account for it )

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Well I'm shocked!

Who would ever imagine that the snow white world of boxing might have a link to organised crime.

How long has this been going on ?

( MW picked a soft target and fluffed it :rolleyes: )

Her broadcasting style from how Beaks addressed her ? ( might account for it )

Your point is what ? Kinehan the Irish drug peddlar... an honorable guy according to Bob Arum.....or MW is a bit too posh sounding..

southstar wrote: »
    Your point is what ?.....

Oh, simple :

For many generations boxing has been closely intertwined with organised crime - apply your favourite search engine for reams of examples

• Advertisement

Oh, simple :

For many generations boxing has been closely intertwined with organised crime - apply your favourite search engine for reams of examples

Of course.

And now, when a journalist actually confronts this problem, you're saying she's in the wrong? Come off it, would you.

Of course.

And now, when a journalist actually confronts this problem, you're saying she's in the wrong? Come off it, would you.
    ...( MW picked a soft target and fluffed it :rolleyes: )...

:P

:P

Look, quoting yourself on an internet forum never looks as good as you think it does.

Lenihan in full flow trying to stir up the shïte.

New minister of education whoever she is, getting a filleting on today’s show.

Wilson concentrating on the numbers, and putting the boot in.

Maybe the minister may not be so arrogant with her Kerry crap now.

Senior hurling now as a lot of these ‘hurlers on the ditch’ are now realizing this.

Wilson getting ridden ragged by Mary Lou

I wonder why

• Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Lenihan in full flow trying to stir up the shïte.
    the rottweiler, ran out of town today by Cowen supporters.

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

dvcireland wrote: »
    the rottweiler, ran out of town today by Cowen supporters.

Don’t think so, it wasn’t Lenihan.

John Cooke was it not?

This is the shooite that happens, a fiefdom is set up for a lad like Cowen, no matter what he does it’s fine, whoooooy... because he gets stuff for us.

Think Lowry

Think Haughey

Think Burke

Think Hely-Rae

Think Flynn

And there’s more.

The cave dwellers and the scones who latch onto these churns are the ones to blame.

You can do what you like as long as you ‘look after’ us.

Fuuuherking pond life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

What a performance by Frank Feighan.

• Advertisement

Cole wrote: »
    What a performance by Frank Feighan.

Up there with Joe Jacob, complete and utter tosser.

Damian showed a bit of teeth.....defending RTE.

This incoming lot are one bunch of biscuits.

How did FG get involved with them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement