Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Anti-male” activist faces court in UK

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

"Mustafa Bahar, the welfare and diversity officer at Goldsmiths University student"

Oh, the irony.

If a similar action, but reversed, had been carried out by a white male, if that individual would have needed up in court then so must Ms Bahar.

The legality of an action is based on the nature of the action, not the identity of the doer, despite the way some PC lefties would exempt themselves from the very laws they wanted to see enacted in the first place. They would also be quick enough to tell you that it is possible to be racist to any group, and that ethnicity doesn't come into it. The fun follow-up to that, of course, is to point out their racist attitudes (by their own definition) towards Americans, the police, men, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

zeffabelli wrote: »
    Well, Columbus made it possible for millions of Europeans and currently South Americans and Mexicans who would have died of starvation from their classist home countries to survive.

If there was no US, generations and generations of Irish would have dropped dead from the famine. As many other Europeans would have.

What are you on about? So mass murderer Columbus is a good guy, because of what came after? Nonsense.

BTW, he was hardly the first person from this side of the world to visit the new world, the vikings got there a long while before him, and it was inevitable that others would eventually find it.
    You want all those descendants to go home and take their EUropean legacies with them? The science, the technology, the art, the design...

None of that was done by Columbus personally, so I see no reason why a mass murderer should be celebrated, and the fact that you have to resort to talking about the achievements of others to defend this mass murderer shows how utterly ridiculous you reasoning is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

wes wrote: »
    None of that was done by Columbus personally, so I see no reason why a mass murderer should be celebrated, and the fact that you have to resort to talking about the achievements of others to defend this mass murderer shows how utterly ridiculous you reasoning is.
    Errr... neither did he commit the 'mass murder' you're accusing him of.

The Columbus controversy surrounds what he represents; the beginning of an age of European colonization of the Americans and the slavery, genocide and exploitation perpetrated by those that followed. Thing is, those that followed also brought European technology, art and civilization.

And let's not get too teary eyed about pre-Colombian civilization either, unless we want to overlook human sacrifice that saw the Aztecs sacrifice up to 80,400 prisoners over the course of four days in 1487. But I suppose that's good mass murder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

The Columbus controversy surrounds what he represents; the beginning of an age of European colonization of the Americans and the slavery, genocide and exploitation perpetrated by those that followed. Thing is, those that followed also brought European technology, art and civilization.

And let's not get too teary eyed about pre-Colombian civilization either, unless we want to overlook human sacrifice that saw the Aztecs sacrifice up to 80,400 prisoners over the course of four days in 1487. But I suppose that's good mass murder?

Liar. We all know the natives were environmentalists who lived in total harmony with the land, with a modest culture that placed great emphasis on the equality of women and extolled wisdom to all who would listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Liar. We all know the natives were environmentalists who lived in total harmony with the land, with a modest culture that placed great emphasis on the equality of women and extolled wisdom to all who would listen.
    I really hope that was sarcasm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

Correct decision that the charges are dropped. Unfortunately, she will see this as a victory.

She should be removed from her position as the welfare and diversity officer for not knowing the meaning of racism or sexism, something that I would assume is required for that position.
    I, an ethnic minority woman cannot be racist or sexist towards white men, because racism and sexism describes structures of privilege based on race and gender.

And therefore women of colour and minority genders cannot be racist or sexist because we do not stand to benefit from such a system

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Well, Columbus made it possible for millions of Europeans and currently South Americans and Mexicans who would have died of starvation from their classist home countries to survive.

If there was no US, generations and generations of Irish would have dropped dead from the famine. As many other Europeans would have.

You want all those descendants to go home and take their EUropean legacies with them? The science, the technology, the art, the design...

Vikings where there long before Columbus made it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

conorhal wrote: »
    You should hardly need a vote to fire somebody who's job is as a diversity officer has seen you feel entitled to discriminate against a particular group of people.

The students union did not need a vote. They have the capacity to fire one of their officers for situations like this but they refused to fire her, probably did not want to get accused of oppressing her themselves. Due to the students unions inaction some students started the motion to remove her but failed to get enough students to sign it. The students union used this to mask their own inaction.

He was directly responsible for mass murder:

Columbus was a mass killer and father of the slave trade
    A young, Catholic priest named Bartolomé de las Casas transcribed Columbus’s journals and later wrote about the violence he had witnessed. The fact that such crimes could potentially go unnoticed by future generations was deeply troubling to him. He expanded upon the extent of Columbus’s reign of terror within his multivolume book entitled the "History of the Indies":

"There were 60,000 people living on this island, including the Indians; so that from 1494 to 1508, over 3,000,000 people had perished from war, slavery, and the mines. Who in future generations will believe this? I myself writing it as a knowledgeable eyewitness can hardly believe it."

Amazing that people will deny this fact to this day.

Again, completely irrelevant to the fact that he was a mass murderer. All the progress that came after, doesn't change that fact, and the denial going on here is rather horrifying.

I never mentioned or defended anything to do with the Aztec's, so I am at a loss as to why you mention it. Did you read my post? You seem to have invented something to argue against.

Its amazing that so many are so willing to celebrate a mass murderer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Vikings where there long before Columbus made it

I'm aware of that but he "discovered" it. He brought it to attention.

• Advertisement

He was directly responsible for mass murder:

Columbus was a mass killer and father of the slave trade

Amazing that people will deny this fact to this day.

A

"There were 60,000 people living on this island, including the Indians; so that from 1494 to 1508, over 3,000,000 people had perished from war, slavery, and the mines. Who in future generations will believe this? I myself writing it as a knowledgeable eyewitness can hardly believe it."

So there WERE 60.000 but then over 3 million perished from war and slavery?

How can 3 million die if there were 60,000 in the first place...

Secondly if it took the GErmans as much as technology as it did to kill 6 million JEws, where the hell did Columbus get the technology at the time to kill 3 million...

And that's even before we start questioning the numbers in the first place.

I didn't know they conducted census back then.....

So there WERE 60.000 but then over 3 million perished from war and slavery?

How can 3 million die if there were 60,000 in the first place...

Secondly if it took the GErmans as much as technology as it did to kill 6 million JEws, where the hell did Columbus get the technology at the time to kill 3 million...

And that's even before we start questioning the numbers in the first place.

I didn't know they conducted census back then.....

The priest is talking about a specific island that he was one, there is more than one Caribbean Island. There were people living on those other islands who were killed as well.

Amazing that so many are still willing to excuse this kind of thing to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Okay this thread has gone waaaaay off track.

The priest is talking about a specific island that he was one, there is more than one Caribbean Island. There were people living on those other islands who were killed as well.

Amazing that so many are still willing to excuse this kind of thing to this day.

It's amazing that people use contemporary morality to judge historical events and while also taking as gospel the diary entries of ONE man....

ANd doing so while using American technology....which does not have its roots in the CHerokee or Sioux tribes...

It's amazing that people use contemporary morality to judge historical events and while also taking as gospel the diary entries of ONE man....

Now its a bit more than that. I just gave an example, as it a message board, and not a peer reviewed journal. Still you can look up the facts yourself. Columbus was pretty awful.

Also, I was talking about this in the context Columbus day, which is still celebrated in some places today.

Also, the Spanish arrested Columbus, so even by the standards of the time, he was a criminal. Think about how brutal you would have to be, for the authorities of the time to arrest.
    ANd doing so while using American technology....which does not have its roots in the CHerokee or Sioux tribes...

The campaign to get rid of Columbus day, has come from the US, and I fail to see how saying that a Italian who lived 100s of years ago murdered a bunch of people, has a damn thing to do with using American technology. The USA didn't even exist when Columbus was alive.

Seriously, your throwing out some really random rubbish, to defend a man who was tyrant and murderer, who was arrested by the authorities of the time, and some how you think this nutter should be celebrated.

Now its a bit more than that. I just gave an example, as it a message board, and not a peer reviewed journal. Still you can look up the facts yourself. Columbus was pretty awful.

Also, I was talking about this in the context Columbus day, which is still celebrated in some places today.

Also, the Spanish arrested Columbus, so even by the standards of the time, he was a criminal. Think about how brutal you would have to be, for the authorities of the time to arrest.

The campaign to get rid of Columbus day, has come from the US, and I fail to see how saying that a Italian who lived 100s of years ago murdered a bunch of people, has a damn thing to do with using American technology. The USA didn't even exist when Columbus was alive.

Seriously, your throwing out some really random rubbish, to defend a man who was tyrant and murderer, who was arrested by the authorities of the time, and some how you think this nutter should be celebrated.

Symbolically he is very important to Italian Americans who have made a significant contribution to the US. He is their St. Patrick.

If you want a worthwhile cause, maybe take up with the Che Guevara festivals they have in Killkee.

Everything we have from the US, including the technology you are using right now, is because of the US, and half of us would be non existent if he did not make that discovery.

He got arrested? So what? Arrest in of itself doesn't tell me anything. Martin Luther King got arrested FFS. So did Oscar Wilde. Plenty of worthwhile people went to prison. And he successfully disputed the charges and was soon released.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hang on, I'm confused just who is trying to kill all the white men? Is it the Vikings or Christopher Columbus?

Hang on, I'm confused just who is trying to kill all the white men? Is it the Vikings or Christopher Columbus?

Basically I am being asked to believe that Columbus killed 3,000,000 natives.

With what technology to do so? How could anyone have done that in that age without modern technology and organisation?

Symbolically he is very important to Italian Americans who have made a significant contribution to the US. He is their St. Patrick.

Fair enough, but it took you a while to get anywhere near a valid point. Now Native American's understandably disagree, and they along with other American's are campaigning against Columbus day, due to the mans well known crimes.
    If you want a worthwhile cause, maybe take up with the Che Guevara festivals they have in Killkee.

Could care less about Che and his nonsense. You quite frankly are no better than the people who lionize and diminish the crap Che pulled.
    Everything we have from the US, including the technology you are using right now, is because of the US, and half of us would be non existent if he did not make that discovery.

None of that changes the fact he was a mass murderer, and trying to somehow claim he is responsible for all the technology build since is laughable. The same could be said if the Spanish royalty didn't fund him, but I see no one sane person making that claim that Spain is actually responsible for everything the US has accomplished since then.

Seriously, you engaged in some desperate reaching there.

BTW, a lot awful people can be defended by using the exact same logic.
    He got arrested? So what? Arrest in of itself doesn't tell me anything. Martin Luther King got arrested FFS. So did Oscar Wilde. Plenty of worthwhile people went to prison. And he successfully disputed the charges and was soon released.

So your comparing Columbus to MLK and Oscar Wilde........

Ok, your a fan of mass murderer, well good for you. Whether you like it or not Columbus isn't responsible for all the good stuff the US did, and btw surely Amerigo Vespucci should get all the credit you are giving to Columbus, seeing as he was the one who figured out that Columbus was not in India......

Fair enough, but it took you a while to get anywhere near a valid point. Now Native American's understandably disagree, and they along with other American's are campaigning against Columbus day, due to the mans well known crimes.

Could care less about Che and his nonsense. You quite frankly are no better than the people who lionize and diminish the crap Che pulled.

None of that changes the fact he was a mass murderer, and trying to somehow claim he is responsible for all the technology build since is laughable. The same could be said if the Spanish royalty didn't fund him, but I see no one sane person making that claim that Spain is actually responsible for everything the US has accomplished since then.

Seriously, you engaged in some desperate reaching there.

BTW, a lot awful people can be defended by using the exact same logic.

So your comparing Columbus to MLK and Oscar Wilde........

Ok, your a fan of mass murderer, well good for you. Whether you like it or not Columbus isn't responsible for all the good stuff the US did, and btw surely Amerigo Vespucci should get all the credit you are giving to Columbus, seeing as he was the one who figured out that Columbus was not in India......

Listen, do you understand the difference between killing and murder? You are using legal terminology. That's right yeah, Im a fan of mass murder. Ok if you want to debate at that level find someone who is willing to play in the kiddie pool with you. Because that kind of debate is beneath me I am afraid.

Clearly you're reading comprehension makes this discussion impossible. You post a dubious article from Irish central.

So tell me how he killed 3 million people with the technology he had available?

Also saying to me "you are no better...than" you have now decided to take a morally superior stance over me... you have no place to take such a position and you are out of line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,821 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

All this reminds me, I mustafa poo.

Listen, do you understand the difference between killing and murder? You are using legal terminology. That's right yeah, Im a fan of mass murder. Ok if you want to debate at that level find someone who is willing to play in the kiddie pool with you. Because that kind of debate is beneath me I am afraid.

Now, now, those in glass houses:

Trying to claim a moral high ground after harping on about Che Guevara is pretty rich there, especially seeing as I was directly replying to the post in question. If you want me to show you some respect, then maybe just maybe, don't come out with that Che crap then. Just a suggestion.
    Clearly you're reading comprehension makes this discussion impossible. You post a dubious article from Irish central.

Dubious according to you.
    So tell me how he killed 3 million people with the technology he had available?

Genocide in Rwanda was committed with Machettes. So the entire notion that modern technology is needed is nonsense.
    Also saying to me "you are no better...than" you have now decided to take a morally superior stance over me... you have no place to take such a position and you are out of line.

I can most certainly take that position. I am not the one making excuses for a mass murderer, and attempting to claim that he is solely responsible for all our modern technology and then spouting out nonsense about Che Guevara, and then complaining when I dare treat you in the same manner as you have me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Delighted that these charges were dropped, with the caveat that I'll be seriously, seriously outraged if any case with the genders reversed fails to meet the same outcome. Criminal charges against people for being offensive are f*cking moronic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Delighted that these charges were dropped, with the caveat that I'll be seriously, seriously outraged if any case with the genders reversed fails to meet the same outcome. Criminal charges against people for being offensive are f*cking moronic.

While I agree, equally ridiculous stuff has gone to court in the UK before being thrown out which is a very different thing to the DPP dropping it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Genocide in Rwanda was committed with Machettes. So the entire notion that modern technology is needed is nonsense.

but Rwanda has a population of millions, its one of the most density populated counties in Africa

when Columbus and the Spanish arrived in the new world the population was a small fraction of what it is today, its true that they killed plenty of people but the numbers being claimed for Columbus are a bit much IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

nokia69 wrote: »
    when Columbus and the Spanish arrived in the new world the population was a small fraction of what it is today, its true that they killed plenty of people but the numbers being claimed for Columbus are a bit much IMO

But Columbus was a "western imperialist" so he's irredeemably bad, well according to some types who frequent these boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Bahar Mustafa is in the news again.

Pamela Geller, the strongly anti-Islam writer from the US, claims an email was sent her from the account 'bahar.mustafa@goldsmithssu.org' which contained the following message.

'You deserve to be raped in every hole by hordes of muslims, slapping and choking you, spitting in your mouth and pissing in ya face'.

The Union at Goldsmith University is claiming the email not sent by Mustafa, and that

“Anyone who checks the note at the bottom of the email will see that this has come via InstaEmail, which uses an open-field “from” text input, allowing anyone to give the impression that they are somebody else.”

What do you think? Is the email an obvious forgery?

https://twitter.com/markhumphrys/status/669645165875830784

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

It's either a fake or she decided to send an email through it while ignoring the main benefit of not having to give her real address.

The first is probably more likely, if she wasn't concerned about he identity being known she would have just sent the email from her account. Not even sure how this manages to get into the news.

Advertisement