Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Anti-male” activist faces court in UK

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

wp_rathead wrote: »
    The people charging her for her idiotic #KillAllMen tweets are idiots

Basically, this story is full of idiots

I accidently voted yes when meaning to vote no. My son distracted me. The biggest idiot of all...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

melissak wrote: »
    I agree with this too in a way bit she wasn't targeting anyone particular in her hash tag. Being against all white men isn't new for people with her interests. Unless there is more to it that I'm not seeing she is stupid but no worse than many posters on here saying kill all the travelers, poor people, polititions bankers et

How very a la carte of you, considering you posted this not so long ago:
    melissak wrote: »
    We all need to censor ourselves on occasion in order to get on with others. The right to free speech should come with the responsibility to not use that right to hurt others

I suppose it doesn't affect you so you shouldn't care...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

To those who think she shouldn't get taken to task for her hashtag, ask yourselves this, if someone used the hashtag #killalln*****s would you expect the person to get done for it? Double standards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Sand wrote: »
    Lies! No games are approved by Feminist Frequency.

Well, there is a Feminist Frequency Steam curator, there's a few decent games on their list surprisingly enough. Not that I play the decent ones, I'm against fun on principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,672 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Very Bored wrote: »
    To those who think she shouldn't get taken to task for her hashtag, ask yourselves this, if someone used the hashtag #killalln*****s would you expect the person to get done for it? Double standards?

I don't think they would agree that anyone should be taken to task for their online communications. They consider free speech and freedom of speech a more important right, than taking any responsibility or ownership for the consequences of them exercising their rights.

I find that a very selfish mentality, and people have even gone so far as claiming there exists some unwritten right to offend people, and argued against this unwritten right of people not to be offended?

Consideration for other people beyond themselves seems to mean nothing to some people, seems to be all about their rights, and not a word about their responsibilities. There's a way to communicate your ideas without trying to be as offensive as possible, to as many people as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I don't agree withth UK's laws on this at all so in principle I do not think anyone should go to jail for such a comment on twitter. I do find it very humourous though that her SJW style outrage is now landing her in trouble. As you make your bed you must lie in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭tritium

To be fair, as a diversity officer in a UK college she would be well aware of the legal implications of using the internet to send abusive or hateful material. There's plenty of examples of people in the UK being arrested and questioned for far less abuse in their tweets- a teenager was arrested for telling high diver Tom Daley that he'd let his late father down FFS.

So while I don't necessarily agree with the UKs laws in this, I don't have very much sympathy for this imbecile either. I'm assuming that if convicted the SU might have to let her go though, so you know, every cloud and all that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Diversity and tolerance warrior falls upon her sword. As ye reap, so shall ye sow.....

Excuse me if I indulge in a certain amount of schadenfreude.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

What is kind of amusing though is when posters make a comment along the lines of

'imagine somebody was using the hashtag #killall(group), can you imagine the outrage?'

and it turns out (every time so far, I think, on this thread?) that the hashtag is already being used without much/any attention or outrage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Very Bored wrote: »

Look, naggers might be a bit annoying, but if you ignore them they usually go away. There's no need to kill them all :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Would be in favour of any public figure getting a proportionate fine for starting a public campaign of "KillAll_______". Interested to see what happens after the summons.

Can't believe she hasn't been expelled from her position though, I thought that was the obvious first step. In fact the petition in the college fell waaay short according the Guardian:
    Mustafa remained in her position as welfare and diversity officer after a petition for a motion of no confidence fell short of the 3% of union members required to trigger a poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Normally not a fan of people being arrested for spouting nonsense on Twitter, but calling for the murder of a particular group, in this case white men, crosses a line into incitement for murder.

Yeah, she should be arrested, its insane to call for the murder of any group, even if the person in unable to actually carry out the act.

This assuming she was serious that is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

osarusan wrote: »
    What is kind of amusing though is when posters make a comment along the lines of

'imagine somebody was using the hashtag #killall(group), can you imagine the outrage?'

and it turns out (every time so far, I think, on this thread?) that the hashtag is already being used without much/any attention or outrage.

Were any of them campaigns led by a public figure in a British University? That does change things considerably. Not a lot the British justice system can do or need to do if it's an anonymous American child behind them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Maguined wrote: »
    I don't agree withth UK's laws on this at all so in principle I do not think anyone should go to jail for such a comment on twitter. I do find it very humourous though that her SJW style outrage is now landing her in trouble. As you make your bed you must lie in it.

That's the part I find especially delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Looks like your classic / cliched 27 year old, privileged SJW who likes to go on about feminism, anarchism and communism, with brightly coloured hair, a nose ring and daddy issues, in a Student's Union role.

Three thoughts:
    • The "I'm not racist because I'm a minority" is utter, utter crap.
    • It was clearly not meant as satire, and claiming it is, is directed to those who will not have read what she posted, in the hope they swallow the 'explanation'.
    • Any employer will likely think twice before employing anyone who's graduated from Goldsmiths University, in future.

Well it really comes down to whether it is media worthy or not. Those hashags exist but the UK laws are only enforcable on UK citizens which many twitter accounts are not easily linked to a persons actual identiy hence they are not worthwhile for the police to actively investigate. Instead the police rely on citizens to submit a complaint and then they will investigate. Due to Bahars position as student welfare and diversity officer a complaint was made on her tweets and as her twitter account was identifiable to her as a citizen the complaint was followed up on just as numerous other complaints have led to charges.

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/jun/13/jail-someone-for-being-offensive-twitter-facebook

So the real question is not whether #KillAllWomen hashtag exists but whether someone who posts that is a UK citizen, a complaint was submitted to the police and whether their twitter account is easily identifiable in order to allow the police to investigate and successfully charge someone over it and whether the media would consider it media worthy to repoty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Were any of them campaigns led by a public figure in a British University? That does change things considerably.
    From a police perspective, I wonder if it does change things considerably, and that's if we accept that this was a 'campaign led by a public figure at a British University', which I woulds say it was not. She's a diversity officer in a student union. I doubt very many students at her own university knew her name (or maybe even the existence of her position) before her comments made headlines months ago.

As I posted earlier, she's probably delighted at the attention and court case in her fight or struggle against whatever it is she sees as the enemy.

It doesn't change my point anyway - the argument along the lines of 'imagine the outrage if somebody tweeted #killallXXX' hasn't really stood up to inspection.

From a police perspective, I wonder if it does change things considerably, and that's if we accept that this was a 'campaign led by a public figure at a British University', which I woulds say it was not. She's a diversity officer in a student union. I doubt very many students at her own university knew her name (or maybe even the existence of her position) before her comments made headlines months ago.

As I posted earlier, she's probably delighted at the attention and court case in her fight or struggle against whatever it is she sees as the enemy.

It doesn't change my point anyway - the argument along the lines of 'imagine the outrage if somebody tweeted #killallXXX' hasn't really stood up to inspection.

It does I already said pages back that they probably come from people in countries with protected speech. One has already concluded this case due to her being a British citizen and identifiable. Her history also makes very interesting reading some very stupid comments all round. Serial offender on the edginess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

She is an official from a recognized organization representing the students of that university. As such she is in a position of authority and influence and can implement official policy (such as barring white males from events that recieve student funding). An unknown social worker who, in a position of authority and influence, doing the same thing or a county Councillor stating that only white people need apply for building permits would and should be taken up on such policies.

That she's not a celebrity is irrelevant.

Would be in favour of any public figure getting a proportionate fine for starting a public campaign of "KillAll_______". Interested to see what happens after the summons.

Can't believe she hasn't been expelled from her position though, I thought that was the obvious first step. In fact the petition in the college fell waaay short according the Guardian:

The no confidence vote only came about because the students union themselves were too cowardly to remove her as they should have. To be honest the #KillAllWhiteMen is the least reason she should of lost her job as that came from her own personal twitter account. She used her official student unions deiversity and welfare officer twitter acount to call a student "white trash" and most importantly she was part of a group that organised an occupy protest of one of the universities buildings. This building is used for student welfare puroses and a group of students including disabled students asked her as diversity officer to move the protest as they rely on these services she refused and instead ask them to join the protest.

So students that relied on student welfare services provided by the college were unable to use those servies due to the protest organised by the students union welfare officer. Forget the hashtag, this was a total violation and dereliciton of the duties she is paid (I think it was 20kGBP salary a year) to perform and should of resulted in an immediate dismissal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

What I will take out of this incident is the unbridled hypocrisy of the supposed equality campaigners who are attempting to dismiss this as a non event. How quickly the veil slips, eh?
    As it happens I think this is a non event too but not for the same reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

One thing which confuses me about all this is that she is clearly white herself. None of her photos gives me the impression she's anything other than caucasian regardless of what her name might be. So I wonder what she thinks of male members of her own family or if she's so deranged that when she sees them she actually, in her head only, sees black men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Lord PuppyMcSnuggle of Cuddleshire

I don't think anyone should be taken to court for expressing their opinions. But I'm going to go ahead and assume that's the kind of world these types want to live in, so I'll just sit here and enjoy the irony.

Looks like your classic / cliched 27 year old, privileged SJW who likes to go on about feminism, anarchism and communism, with brightly coloured hair, a nose ring and daddy issues, in a Student's Union role.

Three thoughts:
    • The "I'm not racist because I'm a minority" is utter, utter crap.
    • It was clearly not meant as satire, and claiming it is, is directed to those who will not have read what she posted, in the hope they swallow the 'explanation'.
    • Any employer will likely think twice before employing anyone who's graduated from Goldsmiths University, in future.

Don't worry this is not an isolated incident for the SJW heavy students union there.
    In October 2014, the union faced critical coverage in the student newspaper The Tab after voting down a proposal to commemorate Holocaust Memorial Day, with Education Officer Sarah El-alfy describing it as "Eurocentric" and "colonialist." According to the union, El-alfy offered to help put forward a redrafted version of the motion for the following Student Assembly meeting. The Union issued a statement claiming "Redrafting motions and re-entering them at a later date isn’t unusual in Students’ Unions and shouldn’t be misinterpreted as opposition."[6][7]

In February 2015, feminist comedian Kate Smurthwaite's gig was cancelled after a minority of members from Goldsmith's Feminist society threatened to picket the event over disagreements with her views on decriminalising prostitution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldsmiths_Students'_Union

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭SeanW

>_< The mind boggles.

Wow I feel like I have Taken Crazy pills reading that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

I dont think she should be brought to court for this.

What makes me nervous about this is the internet could be the end of free speech because it's 18th century mob mentality facilitated by 20th century technology.

WE cant criminally charge people everytime they say something we don't like. Sure she deserved to be fired, but the government has no right to prosecute her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

wes wrote: »
    Normally not a fan of people being arrested for spouting nonsense on Twitter, but calling for the murder of a particular group, in this case white men, crosses a line into incitement for murder.

Yeah, she should be arrested, its insane to call for the murder of any group, even if the person in unable to actually carry out the act.

This assuming she was serious that is.

The thing is we don't know that it wasnt hyberbole.....We used "kill" all the time in every day speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Any employer will likely think twice before employing anyone who's graduated from Goldsmiths University, in future.

I'm really not sure why

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Back in the days of slave emancipation, the Suffragette movement and civil rights these were things were unpopular. It was hard to be publicly liberal and or left leaning. Since the 60s this has been turned on its head, these things are mainstream. It is the default position. The trouble is, people haven't gotten any smarter and dullards will still adopt populist positions. This mainstream status is an anathema to people like this woman so they continually search for more perceived oppression at the hands of the "privileged" to mark themselves out as righteous progressives. These persecution complexes, primarily based on social media allow them to feel noble, organic latte in hand. A sad existance.

Advertisement