Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Anti-male” activist faces court in UK

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 436 ✭✭Old Jakey

RWCNT wrote: »
    Your comments referring to people as "over hormonal, attention seeking clowns" and the like are what is clearly bigoted. If you don't want to be called a bigot then refrain from those comments, why you're making them in the first place is anyones guess as you claim to not have a problem with anyone. So bravery can only come in one form now? People coming out being described as brave hardly means that sick kids aren't. Bravery isnt some sort of competition. I forgot to say that I hope your son is all good following his treatment.

That's a pretty good description of anyone who says they're 'polygender' or 'pansexual' or any of that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Your comments referring to people as "over hormonal, attention seeking clowns" and the like are what is clearly bigoted. If you don't want to be called a bigot then refrain from those comments, why you're making them in the first place is anyones guess as you claim to not have a problem with anyone. So bravery can only come in one form now? People coming out being described as brave hardly means that sick kids aren't. Bravery isnt some sort of competition. I forgot to say that I hope your son is all good following his treatment.

Thank you for your concern. It's over 5 years ago now but it's something I will never forget.
    I realise my choice of words was not the best, I sincerely have no problem with anyone no matter - sex, race, sexuality etc. I just think this cross gender thing had been around for a long time and these new buzz terms are a bit much. Was also quite angry at all the media coverage the whole Bruce Jenner thing got. Fair play for doing what he did but there are far more deserving causes for publicity than those Jenner/Kardashian idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

It used to be I am woman hear me roar as you flick your farrah faucet locks now it's I am woman gear be bitch and whine about what an oppressed species I am.

What the hell happened?

I blame the 90s.... Something happened....was it Bill Clinton...Oprah.... What has turned it all around?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

True equality is when a bloody idiot can stand in your corner and their idiocy reflects on them, not on everyone who shares a chromosome pair with them.

Yep, she deserves all she gets, because that hashtag was dumb, racist, sexist and hatespeech.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

" I, an ethnic minority woman, cannot be racist or sexist towards white men, because racism and sexism describes structures of privilege based on race and gender.

And therefore women of colour and minority genders cannot be racist or sexist because we do not stand to benefit from such a system."

This is the new "I'm not a racist but" phrase.

• Advertisement

The Bruce Jenner adulation comes from the same spirit as this woman.

It's evil to be a man, so the best thing you can do if you are a man, especially a white one, is try to turn into a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

zeffabelli wrote: »
    The Bruce Jenner adulation comes from the same spirit as this woman.

Zeff, you so ker-azey.

Old Jakey, just because you have zero knowledge of something doesn't make it nonsense.

Zeff, you so ker-azey.

Old Jakey, just because you have zero knowledge of something doesn't make it nonsense.

All this gender neutrality/equality is just eunichfication.

All this gender neutrality/equality is just eunichfication.

Yes, treating women as equal means your testicles will be cut off. Please line up at the genital-chopping station, where a burly nurse will wield the hatchet and hand you a songsheet.

Samaris wrote: »
    Yes, treating women as equal means your testicles will be cut off. Please line up at the genital-chopping station, where a burly nurse will wield the hatchet and hand you a songsheet.

Translation: undergraduate school in the humanities.

• Advertisement

How can you treat women as equal when there's no such thing?

Go on then, explain your point.
    Translation: undergraduate school in the humanities.

If you're trying to work out what I am, actually, post-graduate in the sciences. You can't possibly work out what I am or have done from one post unrelated to my education and trying looks silly.

My point was you can't treat women as equal if there is no such thing as women because it's an illusory social construct.

My point was you can't treat women as equal if there is no such thing as women because it's an illusory social construct.

There's...no such thing as women now?

There's...no such thing as women now?

Not according to the gender neutralists. Its a social construct.

There's only such thing as women as much as there is s such thing as Santa, an idea .... We are all performing women.... Women themselves are in drag....

If you're trying to work out what I am, actually, post-graduate in the sciences. You can't possibly work out what I am or have done from one post unrelated to my education and trying looks silly.

Nope not trying to work out what you are.

Was responding to your post. Translating the castrating line up, undergraduate school in the humanities.

I think all I can say to any of that is "what?".

I think all I can say to any of that is "what?".

Exactly. You are lucky you are doing science.

I did humanities so I know this insanity inside and out. I just never bought into it. That's just a small sampling.

I get the idea that "woman" and "man" are to some extent social constructs and some elements of their being social constructs is certain ideas that are applied to one or the other as expectations. These expectations are unhealthy and place being a "man" or a "woman" as more important than being a human being.

Male and female are not social constructs, they are biological. Woman and man are the more wishy-washy versions.

Women should be pure - social expectation, seen in slut shaming.
    Men should be tough - social expectation, seen in mocking men who show emotional reactions.

These are the parts of societal construction in the social definitions of man and woman that we should be eyeballing and asking if there is any need for them, or are they artificial limits that plague both genders and hold back our progress as a species and understanding of each other.

Is the humanities thing something along those lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Very Bored wrote: »
    One thing which confuses me about all this is that she is clearly white herself. None of her photos gives me the impression she's anything other than caucasian regardless of what her name might be. So I wonder what she thinks of male members of her own family or if she's so deranged that when she sees them she actually, in her head only, sees black men.

What a lot of people (especially those in the US) seem to forget is that the term 'white people' only refers to a certain group of Caucasians, namely Europeans. Turks, Arabs, a lot of North Africans, Egyptians, many western Asians and even Indians are all included under the definition of Caucasian.

There are plenty of blond-haired blue-eyed Arabs and Turks.

Of course nowadays, it's come to mean mainly white people. I've met plenty of Turkish people in Germany whom I'd assumed (from looks alone) were simply German until they mentioned that they were Turkish or had 'Migrationshinterhund'.

The whole problem with race and ethnicity is that, like culture and religion, there isn't always a full and proper definition. Sometimes the terms are misused entirely or take on different meanings, like Hispanic and Latino in the US is considered a race. It's not. 'Hispanic' refers to a culture and a language like Anglophone refers to English-speakers and English-speaking culture (which doesn't necessarily include just white people, consider African-American culture).

I get the idea that "woman" and "man" are to some extent social constructs and some elements of their being social constructs is certain ideas that are applied to one or the other as expectations. These expectations are unhealthy and place being a "man" or a "woman" as more important than being a human being.

Male and female are not social constructs, they are biological. Woman and man are the more wishy-washy versions.

Women should be pure - social expectation, seen in slut shaming.
    Men should be tough - social expectation, seen in mocking men who show emotional reactions.

These are the parts of societal construction in the social definitions of man and woman that we should be eyeballing and asking if there is any need for them, or are they artificial limits that plague both genders and hold back our progress as a species and understanding of each other.

Is the humanities thing something along those lines?

I don't know where to start. Really I don't. The humanities have no time or interest in biology and that is because they have a rooted misunderstanding that connects biology with destiny and essentialism.

When you start hearing Christmas is patriarchal and wearing a skirt is internalised oppression and the entire canon of literature is dead white men and let's ban Columbus Day.... Ban Lolita ... Shakespeare was really a woman or his wife wrote it...

Ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Bahar Mustafa, the Goldsmiths student diversity officer who was due to appear in court after allegedly tweeting the hashtag #killallwhitemen, has had charges against her dropped.

The 28-year-old from Edmonton, north-east London, was to appear at Bromley magistrates court on Thursday charged with sending a communication conveying a threatening message and with sending a grossly offensive message via a public communication network.

Police confirmed to the Guardian on Tuesday that the case had been discontinued. The charges had been widely criticised by free-speech groups in a social media campaign using the hashtag #istandwithbaharmustafa when the charges were announced last month.

A Crown Prosecution Service letter sent on 26 October told Mustafa: “The decision to discontinue these charges has been taken because there is not enough evidence to provide a realistic prospect of conviction.” Mustafa may now apply for her costs to be paid.

#killallwhitemen row: charges dropped against student diversity officer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Gyalist wrote: »

Probably for the best to be honest, I'd say she'd have loved her day in court to pontificate and feed her persecution complex. Disgusting however is the fact that she has been allowed to remain in her post at the university.

No doubt she will have a bright future, coming to a well paid quango role near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

conorhal wrote: »
    Disgusting however is the fact that she has been allowed to remain in her post at the university.

The diversity officer is neither an employee of Goldsmiths nor a student, but an employee of the independent students’ union, elected by union members. She remained in her position as welfare and diversity officer after a petition for a motion of no confidence fell short of the 3% of union members required to trigger a poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

This whole fiasco has really shown some of her fans and followers in an awful light, they seem to feel they have a vindication to spout hateful stuff about white men or "bitter little boys" on Twitter.

Some really spiteful, hate-filled people with hypocritical logic and twisted ideals. It all looks so petty.

As for her charges, it's not surprising they're dropped and it's for the better as it would only fuel this circus to carry on longer than it needed to be which I'm sure she would use to her advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

awh man, I can't look at that face again. Must unfollow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

To all the guys out there:

We all know what she needs....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

osarusan wrote: »
    The diversity officer is neither an employee of Goldsmiths nor a student, but an employee of the independent students’ union, elected by union members. She remained in her position as welfare and diversity officer after a petition for a motion of no confidence fell short of the 3% of union members required to trigger a poll.

You should hardly need a vote to fire somebody who's job is as a diversity officer has seen you feel entitled to discriminate against a particular group of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Interestingly her solicitor is a white man...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

let's ban Columbus Day....

Columbus was a mass murderer, and deserves a day, about as much as Osama Bin Laden deserves a day celebrating him.

• Advertisement

wes wrote: »
    Columbus was a mass murderer, and deserves a day, about as much as Osama Bin Laden deserves a day celebrating him.

Well, Columbus made it possible for millions of Europeans and currently South Americans and Mexicans who would have died of starvation from their classist home countries to survive.

If there was no US, generations and generations of Irish would have dropped dead from the famine. As many other Europeans would have.

You want all those descendants to go home and take their EUropean legacies with them? The science, the technology, the art, the design...

Advertisement