Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Anti-male” activist faces court in UK

Options
  • 06-10-2015 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Mustafa Bahar, the welfare and diversity officer at Goldsmiths University student union in south London, has been summonsed to court regarding a “complaint of racially motivated malicious communications made on a social media network”.

She had used the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen on social media earlier this year. When she was accused of racism, she said.

“I, an ethnic minority woman [huh?], cannot be racist or sexist towards white men, because racism and sexism describes structures of privilege based on race and gender.

And therefore women of colou
    r [again, huh?] and minority genders cannot be racist or sexist because we do not stand to benefit from such a system.”

Bahar Mustafa also organised an event on Facebook for black and minority ethnic (BME students), but posted a comment saying

“Also, if you've been invited and you're a man and/or white PLEASE DON’T COME just cos I invited a bunch of people and hope you will be responsible enough to respect this is a BME Women and non-binary event only.”

Obviously, there are freedom of speech issues here, but what do you think? Should she be summonsed to court?

https://twitter.com/everyjoedotcom/status/651446957592809472

Should Bahar Mustafa be summonsed to court? 237 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    85% 203 votes
    I don't know
    14% 34 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Metroboulot

She might need to re-check her definition of racism and sexism.
    There's no special exemption just because you're targeting a group that's seen to be in an established position or because you yourself are in a minority group.

As the old saying goes "Two wrongs don't make a right!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Aye inciting hate crimes is frowned upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I suppose..but really were any white males even slightly offended by this? If it said no gays or no blacks it would cause real hurt. I don't care about what she said, Im a white male, and I honestly don't think theres any white male out there who felt genuinely offended or hurt by this issue

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Freedom of speech doesn't extend to incitement to hatred.

Also, I don't think you're allowed to go around calling on anyone to "#KillAll...." unless you're talking about maybe rogue processes running in a UNIX-like operating system and you're a coder.

Otherwise, it's a bit of a no-no, especially in the UK at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Shows the silliness of trying to define things in a way to excuse yourself from the very offence you seek to condemn.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,040 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Depends - what is she officially charged with?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Anyone else think she looks like a man ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Double standards

She got to keep her 'Job' after what she said yet a male lecturer had to resign after he said female scientists cry and fall in love

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Patrick Wheelock

I wonder what Jane Ruffino thinks?

• Advertisement

We've enough problems with people going around taking out their anger on random individuals and I'm sorry, but calling (even on Twitter in jest or just as a silly way of expressing one's self) to "Kill" any group of people is absolutely ridiculous behaviour.

Also, taking out your anger on white males, most of whom (like any population) are probably absolutely nice, normal, friendly, open minded individuals is absolutely ridiculous stuff.

Also, she'll find out rather quickly that the UK has a general principle of freedom of speech, but it doesn't extend to stuff like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

she's a ****ing see you next friday but she shouldn't face any criminal charges over it, kill all men is just a way for feminists to let their hair down and tell the world what they really think, it's very rarely an actual call to arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Rippington

All she has done is make herself a target for some of the more violent members of society who may take offense and / or just assault her 'cuz she gav us a good reason to guv ,ya know wot I mean ? '

Well, if you publish a statement like that, it's more than reasonable for the police and judiciary to dig around to see whether or not you're serious, and that may mean a day in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

feel free to hate all white men lady, but to call on all of them to be killed ...way to far

strelok wrote: »
    she's a ****ing see you next friday but she shouldn't face any criminal charges over it, kill all men is just a way for feminists to let their hair down and tell the world what they really think, it's very rarely an actual call to arms.

So words have Consequences only to certain groups now ? Pretty sure one would not be saying that if it was in relation to. Black people, Gay and so on so forth. Hate is hate that's why we have laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

She's probably delighted.

More grist for her persecution mill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

So words have Consequences only to certain groups now ? Pretty sure one would not be saying that if it was in relation to. Black people, Gay and so on so forth. Hate is hate that's why we have laws.

I would :)

there is a world of difference between hating a group of people and outright trying to convince another group of people to murder or violently assault the original group.

No I think summoning her to court is extremely....well, extreme. If everyone who said something silly on Twitter was brought to face trial, there'd probably be never-ending queues of people outside every courthouse in the Western world!

She seems like a deeply unpleasant person, and she for sure should have resigned from her position because of the stupidity of a welfare officer engaging in the #KillAllWhiteMen hashtag (even though said hashtag is almost certainly used ironically or satirically and I very much doubt that 99% of the people who used it *actually* want all white men to be killed). But bringing her to court over it just seems petty and unnecessary.

As it happens, given the whole 'BME Women event only' thing was what kicked this all off, I don't necessarily think there's a problem with having women-only or BME-only events as long as they serve a good purpose (women/non-white people openly discussing the misogyny and/or racism they've felt) and not just a "white men all suck and should die, amirite?" Her whole "I can't be racist because WHITE MEN PRIVILEGE RAAARGH" response was dumb but the backlash over the event in the first place was also kind of OTT; I wonder how many white men (or white women) out there are actually offended by the event and not just acting offended for the sake of it?

The British police have taken people to court over far lesser Twitter statements.

Publish a death threat, you'll go to court. Simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Obviously, there are freedom of speech issues here, but what do you think? Should she be summonsed to court?

No, she shouldn't. It's trumped up bollocks, and reminds me a lot of the Twitter Joke Trial, only less of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Rippington

I wonder how many white men (or white women) out there are actually offended by and not just acting offended for the sake of it?
    I would imagine most will laugh and treat her with the contempt she deserves.

No I think summoning her to court is extremely....well, extreme. If everyone who said something silly on Twitter was brought to face trial, there'd probably be never-ending queues of people outside every courthouse in the Western world!

She seems like a deeply unpleasant person, and she for sure should have resigned from her position because of the stupidity of a welfare officer engaging in the #KillAllWhiteMen hashtag (even though said hashtag is almost certainly used ironically or satirically and I very much doubt that 99% of the people who used it *actually* want all white men to be killed). But bringing her to court over it just seems petty and unnecessary.

As it happens, given the whole 'BME Women event only' thing was what kicked this all off, I don't necessarily think there's a problem with having women-only or BME-only events as long as they serve a good purpose (women/non-white people openly discussing the misogyny and/or racism they've felt) and not just a "white men all suck and should die, amirite?" Her whole "I can't be racist because WHITE MEN PRIVILEGE RAAARGH" response was dumb but the backlash over the event in the first place was also kind of OTT; I wonder how many white men (or white women) out there are actually offended by the event and not just acting offended for the sake of it?

No one needs to be offended, It mentions Race specifically. We have laws against hate. You know Hate crimes.

I wonder, would all the people who voted yes be in favour of a trip to the joy for every After Hours user who said "we should round up all the knackers, stick 'em on an island and nuke it" or words to that effect? Y'know, for inciting violence or something, whatever trumpted up ****e this woman's being charged with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Luckily for many people, being a fcuking dickhead is not illegal.

MrP

Links234 wrote: »
    I wonder, would all the people who voted yes be in favour of a trip to the joy for every After Hours user who said "we should round up all the knackers, stick 'em on an island and nuke it" or words to that effect? Y'know, for inciting violence or something, whatever trumpted up ****e this woman's being charged with.

Knackers are not a race, If they said the T word then and kill then yes. Normal people don't have access to Nuclear weapons. A hate crime is a Hate crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Women's studies lulz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

She has a face like a bag of broken bells

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Links234 wrote: »

I've said stuff like that, we all do, it's a figure of speech not to be taken literally but posting it on Twitter is another thing, making kill all men a hashtag is another thing. She deserves everything she gets.

• Advertisement

#KillAllHumans

Advertisement