Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry Primal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'm all far cried out, I loved 3 through and through, but by the end of 4 I felt complete apathy for the it.

looting boxes and crates for trash to sell, climbing towers to uncover the map, side missions of no real consequence, it was a real case of quantity over quality, missions on drugs, just because the one in 3 was popular. The whole thing just felt uninspired - Ubisoft by numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm all far cried out, I loved 3 through and through, but by the end of 4 I felt complete apathy for the it.

looting boxes and crates for trash to sell, climbing towers to uncover the map, side missions of no real consequence, it was a real case of quantity over quality, missions on drugs, just because the one in 3 was popular. The whole thing just felt uninspired - Ubisoft by numbers.

Ubisoft have a ridiculous infatuation with this game mechanic.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Ubisoft have a ridiculous infatuation with this game mechanic.

this was confirmed beyond doubt when it was in a driving game (the crew).

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

I would really like the concept of unique language and then no sub titles, so you need to figure out the communications methods yourself. However Ubisoft will no doubt get it horribly wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

They put multiplayer into this and crafting bases, it will be a the 1st AAA game of its type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

the problem with ubisoft games is while their settings and visuals are varied and interesting their mechanics are stale, so I will be holding off unless I hear that they did something new and interesting with the open world beyond collecting and killing everything.

Also I wonder what will replace the camera in spotting targets when attacking bases (villages now I guess?)

Maybe we'll get a pet eagle to spot with as payback for all those F*ckers who get jumping us in far cry 4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I can't recall a time when a major publisher's announcement of there new AAA title in a well known franchise has left me so completely disinterested in the game like this has.

Horizon Zero Dawn, Sony's take on the primitive humans vs the world angle looks far more interesting in every single way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Kinda like WILD on steroids

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Far Cry is now with Assassins Creed and COD in the list of major releases I no longer play or give a toss about.

Plus the wild life in the Far Cry games is one of the most annoying things, Primal well have animals in it non stop by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

It might fill the void until Ark comes to the Xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

The combat looks chunky and shes a pretty game too but i'll wait for reviews of course.
    Although ubisoft are not shy about letting you tubers show off early lets plays, so they are at lest proud of what they have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,546 ✭✭✭✭briany

The drug missions are a particular peeve of mine. It's like, let's just get on with the damn story, not shoot at tigers who explode into confetti. Stuff like that just feels like blatant padding. I don't recall the original Far Cry having anything like that. Both Crysis and Ubisoft realised that the jungle makes for an interesting setting only for so long. The difference was that Ubisoft just peppers stuff about in an attempt to distract you from this, while Crytek would actually take the time to give interesting twists to the story. The original Far Cry takes a decidedly sci-fi twist about a 3rd of the way in, or so and the pace ramped up nicely. Maybe others thought it was a bit stupid, but it was a real 'oh, s*it!" moment, the first time I faced one of those Trigen things. They seemed tough as nails at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

briany wrote: »
    The drug missions are a particular peeve of mine. It's like, let's just get on with the damn story, not shoot at tigers who explode into confetti. Stuff like that just feels like blatant padding. I don't recall the original Far Cry having anything like that. Both Crysis and Ubisoft realised that the jungle makes for an interesting setting only for so long. The difference was that Ubisoft just peppers stuff about in an attempt to distract you from this, while Crytek would actually take the time to give interesting twists to the story. The original Far Cry takes a decidedly sci-fi twist about a 3rd of the way in, or so and the pace ramped up nicely. Maybe others thought it was a bit stupid, but it was a real 'oh, s*it!" moment, the first time I faced one of those Trigen things. They seemed tough as nails at the time.

As soon as Fc1 introduced monkeys it became utter utter bollox...... i love the game right up until that point. (crytek)

FC2 had that stupid fcuking malaria and respawning checkpoints.(Ubi)

FC3 was pretty much perfect, dislikable main character, loveable bad guy.....exceptional mission when you "burn dis" It stands out as a very decent FPS type game with minor issues.(ubi)

Fc4 was UBi pulling an assassins creed on it....."well they liked that so just do that again but in a different place" I liked it but it was an average game.

The DLC for FC3 was better than Fc4.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    As soon as Fc1 introduced monkeys it became utter utter bollox...... i love the game right up until that point. (crytek)

Without the introduction of such an enemy, Far Cry could easily have ended up being a game where you run and gun your way through the same horde of guys for the entire duration. Maybe that sounds fun to some, but to me it would have been very samey. Don't forget that that game came out in 04/05 and I don't remember being the potential then for complexity in side missions that Ubisoft employed in sequels. The hook still had to come from the story at that time. Not everyone likes sci-fi, but it's still more ambitious than what could have been a drug cartel plot or something which I could see getting boring half way through as the novelty of the gameplay wore off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Can anyone tell me the best place to order the game online and receive it on release day?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me the best place to order the game online and receive it on release day?

€45 on Game Collection for PS4 at the moment (use the code 'Deadcool' this weekend).

EDIT - Actually, forgot it's out on Tuesday, so maybe not release day but still a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Saw this today from last month. 'Anonymous info' from a playtester so to be taken with a pinch of salt, but it is still fairly worrying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS_xy4QTKK4

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I would agree with that TBH, FC4 was such a let down. Best thing about it was the voice acting......

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I would agree with that TBH, FC4 was such a let down. Best thing about it was the voice acting......

Total letdown, way too easy. I beat the game in about 15 minutes or so.

briany wrote: »
    Total letdown, way too easy. I beat the game in about 15 minutes or so.

Ha I'd forgotten about that ending :D

• Advertisement

This one meant to be a rinse and repeat ubisoft special.
    God they love to Milk the ****e out of any popular franchise.
    Getting slated for dull story & repetitive missions.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    This one meant to be a rinse and repeat ubisoft special.
    God they love to Milk the ****e out of any popular franchise.
    Getting slated for dull story & repetitive missions.

Reviews are out, most say the gameplay is great but the missions and villains are not and the story is very weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Dam I was looking forward to this as I usually enjoy farcry for its story and gameplay hmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I really liked Fc3 & 4 played them both twice and 100%'d them. From what I've seen primal takes all the bits from the game that are awful and makes a complete game out of them, throwing away what's good.

In FC4 I loved the gunplay, the flying, the climbing and the story.

I detested the "Shangri-la" tiger nonsense, "subtitled" voice acting in a foreign language, and pretty much everything to do with the animals - seriously a melee opponent that's a bullet sponge and charges at you. The whole idea of a "companion" who kills stuff also seems pointless in the context of a FPS.

So from it looks like I won't be touching primal with a barge-pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I wonder how quickly this will be seriously discounted. I can't see it selling in any numbers. The fact that Ubisoft haven't even bothered with the usual season pass nonsense says a lot about their own expectations. Still, you've got to give them some credit for trying something a small bit different. Even if it's still primarily the same mechanics. I just wish they had gone full on mental such as the early rumours suggested of dinosaurs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Might be worth 20 when rakes of them are traded in....and they will be.

:p:pac::p:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

pH wrote: »

I detested the "Shangri-la" tiger nonsense, "subtitled" voice acting in a foreign language, and pretty much everything to do with the animals - seriously a melee opponent that's a bullet sponge and charges at you. The whole idea of a "companion" who kills stuff also seems pointless in the context of a FPS.

That tends to be what happens when the characters exist in a non-English speaking location or, for example, in an era before the existence of the English language :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

So has anyone played this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Don't care what the negative reviews say, I love far cry games. Although I won't be buying until I clear just cause 3. Hopefully it's a of good price preowned on adverts by then.

• Advertisement

That tends to be what happens when the characters exist in a non-English speaking location or, for example, in an era before the existence of the English language :pac:

Fair enough, but if you can make the stretch to mind controlled bullet sponge animal companions, why not just have anyone speaking english then?

Advertisement