Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 137 ✭✭MaryAntoinette

muffler wrote: »
    Hi troll, how are you this evening?

Are mods allowed call posters trolls now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Are mods allowed call posters trolls now?

Yes.

Problem?

• Site Banned Posts: 137 ✭✭MaryAntoinette

Steve wrote: »
    Yes.

Problem?

No problem at all, guess it should be fair game both ways troll.

Problem?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

No problem at all.

Would you prefer to abide by site rules and be civil or ignore them and get laughed at when we ban you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

This post has been deleted.
    And vice versa. Hackers and virus authors creating or assisting AV companies and other enforcement authorities. Read Misha Glenny.

So DDOS is the new black
    market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

4NGJN0T.png

I don't know why but this seems like an appropriate image of my happiness that I can finally log back in normally. Maybe it's too early in the morning. It's a funny image any time of the day. Fair play to ye for sorting things out.

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Can't log in on my laptop, saying too many log in failures, account is locked and to reset my password but no option to change password?
    Sorry if this issue has been addressed but on the mobile and would have to scroll through over 70 pages to read.

I had that issue last night but all's well this morning and no need to reset my password. I did by the way send a request to reset my password but nothing ever arrived in my inbox.

WarZ wrote: »
    boards.ie is constantly down these days. The site is unreliable and friend close to me has told that he hears loud minimal house music coming from boards.ie HQ whenever he works to work for his early shift (around 5-6am).

I am glad the staff seem to be having fun but maybe these sort of problems wouldn't exist if the staff were partying less. God knows I struggle to even write my name after a mad night.

Is he an Ingrish teacher? He's clearly not very good as evidenced by you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

On the phone and it is very slow. 10 - 15 seconds to load every page.

Is this it from now on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Imagine we all used to be more than happy to sit waiting for pages to load at this rate ].

Sure because all websites were slow....if this is the speed now it's going to lose a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

In 9 months time some users won't have time for boards anymore thanks to the attack,some babies Might even be christened using screen names :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

back working but still catastrophically slow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

back working but still catastrophically slow...

Agreed. Love boards but wouldn't have the patience for the current speeds:(

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Agreed. Love boards but wouldn't have the patience for the current speeds:(

I'm posting this 8 hours into the future, it's so slow it's travelling backwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Aye, its currently un useable, at the moment, it's so slow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Much better for me now than yesterday - avatars loading, posts loading more slowly than usual but not timing out - well done hamsters!! :cool: Those DDOS maggots haven't put me off - peeps will stick with you. Might even consider affording a subscription one day - *checks wallet* - but not today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

on www.boards.ie when i'm logged on my desktop i'm not seeing anything for the lastest posts/my forums/trending etc. Is this expected?

Is there another url or anything I should be using?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

on www.boards.ie when i'm logged on my desktop i'm not seeing anything for the lastest posts/my forums/trending etc. Is this expected?

Is there another url or anything I should be using?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Dav wrote: »
    OK, so this will probably be the last update for this evening...

We're confident the log in issues are indeed sorted out now. We are actually still under attack, but the changes we've made as well as getting Cloudflare's protection are mitigating the worst of that, but we are still expecting to see the occasional time-out error as the evening goes on.

We'll be back at it again in the morning to see where we can tighten everything up and hopefully put this whole mess behind us :)

Thank you again to all of you for being patient and helping out with the specific error reporting, it's been a massive help and encouragement to know that there are so many of you out there as keen to see things back in action as we are.

Now that you are using Cloudflare you could always enabled DNSSEC on the boards.ie zone

https://blog.cloudflare.com/introducing-universal-dnssec/

http://dnsviz.net/d/boards.ie/dnssec/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Search functionality down ? or is it just me ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

So I try to log in on my laptop and my account has been locked due to too many incorrect password attempts? I had 2 attempts wednesday and stopped trying as I knew the site wasn't right. Why the feck is it blocked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Carnacalla wrote: »
    So I try to log in on my laptop and my account has been locked due to too many incorrect password attempts? I had 2 attempts wednesday and stopped trying as I knew the site wasn't right. Why the feck is it blocked?

It can look to the server that there have been more than 2 attempts if the ones that get through aren't acknowledged because of the DDOS attack. Your data gets through but you don't get the normal acknowledgement to say the data arrived so your computer sends the data again.

Probably the same reason accounts for the double posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Have you's killed SSL/TLS for general browsing ?

375585.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0122/762161-cyber-attack/

A number of Government websites were forced offline this morning by a so-called Distributed Denial of Service attack (DDoS).
    Among the sites impacted were the Central Statistics Office, the Courts Service, the Health Service Executive, and the Houses of the Oireachtas.
    It is understood that the attack began yesterday and that so far no group has claimed responsibility for it.
    Earlier this week the National Lottery's website and retail terminals were knocked offline by a DDoS attack, as well the popular online forum site, boards.ie.
    DDoS attacks involve a server hosting a website being flooded with service requests by the attacker, until it becomes unable to cope and the site drops offline.
    They generally do not lead to security being compromised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Cloudflare suddenly doing roaring trade.....hmmmm!

Tried the CSO website earlier to find it wasn't working.

I wouldn't have been keeping track of anything DDoS before this week, would this amount of DDoS attacks be normal or is it a bit more severe than usual now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Just noticed the search function doesn't seem to be working. Just brings you to the advanced search page which doesn't go anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Custardpi wrote: »
    Just noticed the search function doesn't seem to be working. Just brings you to the advanced search page which doesn't go anywhere.
    I'm having the same problem - I keep getting just the 'advanced search' screen with a red X above left and can't access anything via search.

• Advertisement

Boards.ie got a mention on the One O'clock news. Be proud boards be proud.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement