Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Just successfully logged in from work desktop for the first time in days (ssssshhh, don't tell the boss!). Morale has surged, heart rate is slowly returning to normal, productivity will now resume it's usual level (no comment on whether that's an upward or downward move).

Thanks to the techs who got things up and running again, and hope you guys are holding things together ok. I heard rumours of an earthquake in Dublin on Tuesday, but it turns out the seismic activity was caused by tens of thousands of boards users rocking back and forth for self-soothing purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Was Boards.ie using Cloudflare before this, or is case ye've moved onto Cloudflare platform as a result?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

Can't access on mobile data on my phone but as soon as I switch to wifi it connects fine, can't log on regardless of connection type, only working on PC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Only been able to log in since a couple of hours ago. Getting same problems as others now - slow response, missing avatars etc. Still, good to see ye're getting back to yer feet. The last few days must have been hellish. I wonder will we find out the story behind the attack - who, where, why etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Finally able to log in after getting all the error messages that everyone else seemed to be getting as well,

Things are getting back on track

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

OK, so this will probably be the last update for this evening...

We're confident the log in issues are indeed sorted out now. We are actually still under attack, but the changes we've made as well as getting Cloudflare's protection are mitigating the worst of that, but we are still expecting to see the occasional time-out error as the evening goes on.

We'll be back at it again in the morning to see where we can tighten everything up and hopefully put this whole mess behind us :)

Thank you again to all of you for being patient and helping out with the specific error reporting, it's been a massive help and encouragement to know that there are so many of you out there as keen to see things back in action as we are.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cheers Dav, and the rest of the team

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

auto emails looks like they are down lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

jimgoose wrote: »
    The rather unfortunate fact of the matter is that just about any looderamawn can download a "DDOS Toolkit" sort of thing these days and point it any website. They can be a bit difficult to detect and mitigate, particularly the cleverer Layer-7 type ones. So there's no shortage of maladjusted malcontents who can create a disproportionate amount of havoc. This is why it is desirable to have a crew of rather "impatient" policemen isolate their address and location and then go and insert their computer equipment wherever it will fit. :pac:
    Wouldn't it be some business model to DDoS a rake of sites and then have them sites come to you to sort it out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I think that's the Mafia business model - 'protection' money and all that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I see the Lotto are using Cloudflare too, just got scanned... and didn't win a cent

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Dav wrote: »
    OK, so this will probably be the last update for this evening...

We're confident the log in issues are indeed sorted out now. We are actually still under attack, but the changes we've made as well as getting Cloudflare's protection are mitigating the worst of that, but we are still expecting to see the occasional time-out error as the evening goes on.

We'll be back at it again in the morning to see where we can tighten everything up and hopefully put this whole mess behind us :)

Thank you again to all of you for being patient and helping out with the specific error reporting, it's been a massive help and encouragement to know that there are so many of you out there as keen to see things back in action as we are.

Fairplay to all the tech staff for slogging through this. It can't have been easy!

On a side note...If it turns out to be someone who was banned who was behind this, yis might want to reconsider goading people on the prison forum for the "lols", it's kind of weird and akin to the old boards.ie/feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

vicwatson wrote: »
    Fair play the tech team !

Why people attack sites is beyond me, gob****es

For the lulz and the birds.

Still can't log in on my desktop. Too many login failures and to reset my password.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

yay! I'm back in.

Very annoying seeing 3,000 on the site when looking from the outside :pac:

Still slow though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭secman

Still slow as a wet day......

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

This is a weird one.. Getting an account locked message (too many sign in attempts) when trying to login on PC. Still logged in on the phone and laptop though.

First time since the outage I've actually managed to see the login screen on the PC.

Karsini wrote: »
    Still can't log in on my desktop. Too many login failures and to reset my password.
    Got in after a few tries.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Forever21

Well done to all the technical term for working so hard to get the site back working again. Never realised I used it so much like first thing in the morning for daily weather forecast . Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭iognaid

Well done, great that site is back up and functioning.
    The hard work and midnight oil much appreciated. Ye were missed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

just leaving a bit of feed back. 1st time iv got back on the site after about 3 days. just noticing its very laggy on both desktop and the phone touch site. is this just me or are the issues still ongoing???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Can't log in on my laptop, saying too many log in failures, account is locked and to reset my password but no option to change password?
    Sorry if this issue has been addressed but on the mobile and would have to scroll through over 70 pages to read.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Imagine we all used to be more than happy to sit waiting for pages to load at this rate (and a lot slower)! :pac:

Well done for getting this (mostly?) sorted and so quickly!

Ps reddit's shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Glad to see Boards back up and running. Thanks to all the hard working tech people for getting us back. Missed my daily fix on boards.

Thanks all 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

boards.ie is constantly down these days. The site is unreliable and friend close to me has told that he hears loud minimal house music coming from boards.ie HQ whenever he works to work for his early shift (around 5-6am).

I am glad the staff seem to be having fun but maybe these sort of problems wouldn't exist if the staff were partying less. God knows I struggle to even write my name after a mad night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

boards.ie is constantly down these days. The site is unreliable and friend close to me has told that he hears loud minimal house music coming from boards.ie HQ whenever he works to work for his early shift (around 5-6am).

I am glad the staff seem to be having fun but maybe these sort of problems wouldn't exist if the staff were partying less. God knows I struggle to even write my name after a mad night.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,913 ✭✭✭✭muffler

WarZ wrote: »

Hi troll, how are you this evening?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

muffler wrote: »
    Hi troll, how are you this evening?

You know, trolls feed on attention. Maybe we shouldn't feed them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

In fairness, its hard to take the above as anything but a bit of humour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement