Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

500 Errors and Database Errors

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Same here (503/database/too many connections errors) on touch in the last few minutes.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

There is a spam attack. The site will be unstable for a while.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There is a spam attack. The site will be unstable for a while.

Spam or DDOS?
    Can get in over a US VPN easily enough- but not on my organic Irish IP address.......

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Spam but it is having the same effect as a DDOS so both really.

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Seems to have abated for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,255 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Would a captcha for sending PMs help?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

That would certainly help slow down the ability to send a PM after signing up and activating account, giving us more time to spot and nuke it before a PM can be sent.

Captchas e v e r y w h e r e

/am I a robot? *post this*

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Overheal wrote: »
    Captchas e v e r y w h e r e

My preferred variation of your suggestion would be for user accounts to be limited before their first 50 posts.
    • No ability to post anything other than plaintext.
    • Catchpa to use any tool that can potentially be used to spam (e.g. PMs, visitor messages etc)
    • Perhaps the ability to read but not post in certain forums.

Once you've reached the 50 post limit then service resumes as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

mike_ie wrote: »
    My preferred variation of your suggestion would be for user accounts to be limited before their first 50 posts.
    • No ability to post anything other than plaintext.
    • Catchpa to use any tool that can potentially be used to spam (e.g. PMs, visitor messages etc)
    • Perhaps the ability to read but not post in certain forums.

Once you've reached the 50 post limit then service resumes as normal.

I'd add something to prevent one word posts for count building too if that's possible

I'd add something to prevent one word posts for count building too if that's possible

70 character minimum?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Overheal wrote: »
    70 character minimum?

Exactly 'message is too short, must be at least ** number characters long for spam filtering purposes'

I probably should stress that this is my 'ideal world' scenario. I think the devs are busy enough at the moment just trying to maintain the site as it is remotely.

Oh indeed, having a wee daydream there myself, all long finger ideas

I really wish the captchas I get were cookie based instead of IP. I have to do it so many times a day and I use the site less because of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I really wish the captchas I get were cookie based instead of IP. I have to do it so many times a day and I use the site less because of them.

Never seen a captcha on this site. Where you you seeing them? Are you accessing it in an non regular manner?

kippy wrote: »
    Never seen a captcha on this site. Where you you seeing them? Are you accessing it in an non regular manner?

I live in Vietnam.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I live in Vietnam.

Ah sorry, ya I seen you've said that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

All sorts of error messages popping up on both touch and full site when I try to click onto threads or submit a post in the last 10 or 15 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm getting demented with Cloudflare checks this morning- but am getting in ok.
    Cloudflare seems to be on steroids.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    All sorts of error messages popping up on both touch and full site when I try to click onto threads or submit a post in the last 10 or 15 mins.

Yes I was getting some 503 errors here myself, looking into it.

I'm getting demented with Cloudflare checks this morning- but am getting in ok.
    Cloudflare seems to be on steroids.

Are you getting lots of captchas or errors?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yes I was getting some 503 errors here myself, looking into it.

I got the widget error message, too many users, SQLATSATE message, 503 error, and I think one other.

The whole selection by the looks of it!

I had a cloudfare, nothing else.

Touch site via safari

• Registered Users Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭This is it

I was getting a lot of SQL errors on the touch site earlier, seems ok now

Things should be back to normal now everyone, if not let me know here. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Hi all

Just wondering, does something happen to the DB every day at Irish time 6.30am?

Have noticed quite frequently that it gets a bit stuck around that time. First with Cloudflare generated error 524, and, after about two minutes, a SQLSTATE[08004][1040]. Using Touch and am accessing from Germany Once I get to the SQL error, I can access the site using the Full Site.

While thing lasts about 15 minutes before normal service resumes.

Not a huge issue, but just wondering as it seems to be happening pretty much at the same time when I’ve been online in the morning to notice (which is most weekdays - never so early on a weekend! :))

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Penfailed

SnowyMay wrote: »
    Hi all

Just wondering, does something happen to the DB every day at Irish time 6.30am?

Have noticed quite frequently that it gets a bit stuck around that time. First with Cloudflare generated error 524, and, after about two minutes, a SQLSTATE[08004][1040]. Using Touch and am accessing from Germany Once I get to the SQL error, I can access the site using the Full Site.

While thing lasts about 15 minutes before normal service resumes.

Not a huge issue, but just wondering as it seems to be happening pretty much at the same time when I’ve been online in the morning to notice (which is most weekdays - never so early on a weekend! :))

Same here.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Penfailed wrote: »
    Same here.

Ditto

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement