Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

This post has been deleted.

Top chefs are wrong so.

Though in my experience, I side with them as its far better from room temp (or at least not straight out of fridge to the frying pan)

rob316 wrote: »
    I use the airfryer too all the time now, just a tip for doing steak, sear it first in a dry pan for about 30 seconds on each side then finish in the airfryer according to how you like your steak done, I'm medium rare so give it 5 mins @ 200C

I have I say I wouldn't change anything about how I did it yesterday (bar a little less time to have it more or the rare side of medium). Having to take out and wash up a pan for the sake of 30 seconds wouldn't be worth it to me so unless I was using it for something else think I'll just stick with the airfryer alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

podge018 wrote: »
    had these bad boys at the weekend, nicest I've ever had outside some top restaurants.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/meat/beef/products-detail-page/ps/p/specially-selected-2-irish-angus-8oz-sirloin-steak/

These are the best for the price. I prefer the striploin version, really tasty

2 X Irish Rib Eye Steaks 450g €7.00

Lidl next Thurs 26th - Sun 29th

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

nice one vic, will be partaking in this :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What price per kilo is he charging ?

I finally got my flank steaks today. €10/kg

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

Massive steak today from Supervalue was half price from €7 to €3.50, finest steak i ever had :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭50HX

vicwatson wrote: »
    2 X Irish Rib Eye Steaks 450g €7.00

Lidl next Thurs 26th - Sun 29th

if they are anything like the ones in Aldi at the mo (not on sale) then they are damn tastey

will be gettin them in

Everyone eating steak for toy show next Friday:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Just had an unreal 16oz Striploin from Supervalu, melt in mouth only €7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Massive steak today from Supervalue was half price from €7 to €3.50, finest steak i ever had :)

Yeah, noticed this offer in store today and picked up a pack. It's the prepacked striploin - half price at 11 euro per kg. Was able to root through a few to find some thick ones :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

oleras wrote: »
    I do pity his Colon though...:pac:
    lol, don't worry about that, it's long gone! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

8348wk4915_01_f.jpg
    ac1ac7369d018032a8cdc8acfe41a802.png

Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

That is a great price for a 7oz Fillet steak , the 5.99 was pretty keen already

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Are they nicer than the Lidl ribeye?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Well I would always say Rib-Eye > than Fillet steak , but at this small size rib eye can be trickier to cook medium rare and get the fat melted into the beef ,where the fillet is fine to cook at this size.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Newcastlewest

inforfun wrote: »
    8348wk4915_01_f.jpg
    ac1ac7369d018032a8cdc8acfe41a802.png

Lidl

There is 25% off Lidl Newcastlewest (As per note only this store) for all raw meats and poultry from 30/11 to 06/12.

When people use the airfryer to cook the stake how does it end up looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

When people use the airfryer to cook the stake how does it end up looking?

empty-plate-5430426.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Had one of those lidl fillets on Friday, absolutely delicious medium rare seasoned with salt pepper and garlic powder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭alwald

TPD wrote:
    Had one of those lidl fillets on Friday, absolutely delicious medium rare seasoned with salt pepper and garlic powder.

Why garlic powder when you can use real garlic? It adds so much flavour to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

alwald wrote: »
    Why garlic powder when you can use real garlic? It adds so much flavour to it.

Pure laziness! Did the job though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Ive had those Lidl fillets, Ive had fillets from my local independent butcher and Ive had the Dunnes simply better range, the Lidl steaks win hands down imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Well I would always say Rib-Eye > than Fillet steak , but at this small size rib eye can be trickier to cook medium rare and get the fat melted into the beef ,where the fillet is fine to cook at this size.

Lidl have sous vide machines at the moment. I bought one and did a ribeye in it last night. Amazing - medium rare from edge to edge.

stimpson wrote: »
    Lick have sous vide machines at the moment. I bought one and did a ribeye in it last night. Amazing - medium rare from edge to edge.

They really look the business in fairness. Did you have to brown the outside before or after?

They really look the business in fairness. Did you have to brown the outside before or after?

I did it after. Smoking hot cast iron pan. I'm going to buy a blowtorch soon as that's how all the cool kids do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

I have a fan of Lidl rib eyes sitting here beside me. She only cooks it for 30 seconds on each side and eats it. Too red for me.

Any recommendations for good butchers/restaurants/shops for steak in Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Ive had those Lidl fillets, Ive had fillets from my local independent butcher and Ive had the Dunnes simply better range, the Lidl steaks win hands down imo.

I bought one also and cooked a delicious steak. However i have a thermapen thermometer and find the water temp to be fluctuating 3deg +/- to the set temperature. Quite disappointed with this so thinking of returning it.

What temp did you set to cook the steak in that picture?

I have a brisket on now, for tomorrow and will stick up a pic when it is done.

Bicky wrote: »
    I bought one also and cooked a delicious steak. However i have a thermapen thermometer and find the water temp to be fluctuating 3deg +/- to the set temperature. Quite disappointed with this so thinking of returning it.

What temp did you set to cook the steak in that picture?

I have a brisket on now, for tomorrow and will stick up a pic when it is done.

I assume this was about the sous vide? I found mine to be consistently 3 deg hotter than shown so I just adjust accordingly. The steak in the photo was set to 52 deg and my thermocouple probe read 55. I think it will fluctuate a little as there is nothing to circulate the water like in the expensive ones, but for €70 you can't complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Any recommendations for good butchers/restaurants/shops for steak in Limerick?

Got great report about a steak in The Treasury restaurant in Limerick.

Garretts is the premium butchers in Limerick, 2 shops, Castletroy and Racefield.

Advertisement