Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

bajer101 wrote: »
    Cook a steak in an Actifry or an Airfryer and then come back to me.

Airfryer wins hands down every day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

Airfryer wins hands down every day of the week.

Maybe if you can't cook, yes. In all other circumstances, no.

Lash_Alert wrote: »
    Maybe if you can't cook, yes. In all other circumstances, no.

I can tell straight away by your dismissive and condescending attitude that number

1. You fancy yourself as a bit of a Gordon Ramsey and your goal in life is to get on come dine with me.

2. You have never actually had a steak cooked in an Airfryer.

Don't knock it till you try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

+1 on the Airfryer. Had it just once but I've never had a steak like it since, and by God I've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

I've cooked steaks in both the airfryer and the actifry (with spindle removed) and they both give the same results. I tend to use the actifry due to the larger capacity which allows me to cook my current favourite meal which is:

Baby potatoes, boiled for 10 minutes and quartered and tossed in a bowl of olive oil, salt. pepper and garlic (optional).
    Sliced onions and quartered mushrooms placed at the bottom of the actifry.
    Steaks on top of this.
    Potatoes on top of this.
    Cook for 15 minutes. If you prefer your steak rarer, wait a few minutes before adding the steak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Stink of middle class off you.

What does this mean??

Cooking a steak in an actifry? This man should be removed from the Internet.

I haven't cooked a steak in the airfryer yet but have done lamb chops and they were the nicest I've ever made myself. Can't wait to try a steak in it as I reckon I wont be using the pan again after the first time, you have no idea how well the airfryer works.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,867 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Love the Airfryer steak aswell, lovely slightly crispy fat, doesnt lose any moisture, lovely and tender. Lay the steak on a bed of thin sliced onions aswell and they'll come out nicely fried bordering on carmelised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Bah, if it tastes good that's the right answer.

Personally I like to see grill lines on my steak, but I more than make up for not frying with plenty of sautéed onions and mushrooms.

I can tell straight away by your dismissive and condescending attitude that number

1. You fancy yourself as a bit of a Gordon Ramsey and your goal in life is to get on come dine with me.

2. You have never actually had a steak cooked in an Airfryer.

Don't knock it till you try it.

1) Not at all, however if you think one has to be. 'Gordon Ramsey' to make a decent steak, you are more middle class than I first thought.

2) nope I'll admit I haven't. If its not broke don't fix it. However ordered an air fryer there a week ago and due to arrive next week so will try one just to make you happy

• Advertisement

tallpaul wrote: »
    What does this mean??

Self explanatory no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

13 pages of my way is the right way

Self explanatory no?

No, not at all. But I suppose you've already got the chip(s) on your shoulder to go with your perfect steak...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I believe the idea of the thread was to make people aware of where steak was on offer - a bargain alert

Cook it whatever way you want

CH3OH wrote: »
    I believe the idea of the thread was to make people aware of where steak was on offer - a bargain alert

Cook it whatever way you want

Apologies for hijacking!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Got two of those Rib Eyes from Lidl for dinner tonight :D Thanks for the heads up as I dont go to Lidl usually.

2) nope I'll admit I haven't. If its not broke don't fix it. However ordered an air fryer there a week ago and due to arrive next week so will try one just to make you happy

And you're calling me middle class,
    fyi I don't regard being referred to as middle class as an insult.

I'll take middle class all day long over being as uneducated as you appear to be.

From this Thursday (12th November), Aldi are doing Striploin Steaks 376g for €6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

I got one of those 3 ,euro striploin steaks from lidl .i put it in the oven last night and it came out the size of a rasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I got one of those 3 ,euro striploin steaks from lidl .i put it in the oven last night and it came out the size of a rasher.

Oven? Okayyyy. Yes Aldi's €6 Strips are good too.

• Advertisement

You roasted a steak?? LOL... I'm sure some people say it's a good idea but still...

Please tell me you're joking and you didnt oven cook a steak?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

toadfly wrote: »

Ya im.... joking.

Just getting my coat and legging it

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭The Belcher

bajer101 wrote: »
    I've cooked steaks in both the airfryer and the actifry (with spindle removed) and they both give the same results. I tend to use the actifry due to the larger capacity which allows me to cook my current favourite meal which is:

Baby potatoes, boiled for 10 minutes and quartered and tossed in a bowl of olive oil, salt. pepper and garlic (optional).
    Sliced onions and quartered mushrooms placed at the bottom of the actifry.
    Steaks on top of this.
    Potatoes on top of this.
    Cook for 15 minutes. If you prefer your steak rarer, wait a few minutes before adding the steak.

I'd like to try this Friday after work. When you say spindle removed, do you just mean the paddle? I had a look at mine and took the paddle off but the spindle it sits on doesn't seem to be removable or am I mistaken? Also would you slice the onions pretty thick or thin? If the spindle is removable and its a long winded affair would you mind PMing me please if you get time, thanks.

I'd like to try this Friday after work. When you say spindle removed, do you just mean the paddle? I had a look at mine and took the paddle off but the spindle it sits on doesn't seem to be removable or am I mistaken? Also would you slice the onions pretty thick or thin? If the spindle is removable and its a long winded affair would you mind PMing me please if you get time, thanks.

Hi. Yeah, it's just the paddle that needs to be removed. I slice the onions fairly thin. If your steaks are thin they will cook quicker than the rest of the ingredients, so you will need to add them last. I like to give the potatoes an extra 10 minutes regardless as I like them crispy.

It is a bit of trial and error to get everything the way you like it, as the steak can cook quite quickly - but it is well worth it. You will also need to give everything a bit of a shake a couple of times during the cooking to even out the cooking. A bit of pepper sauce or gravy finishes it off lovely.

One last tip. It is worthwhile doing the potatoes beforehand and letting them cool, as it makes them easier to cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

toadfly wrote: »

There's plenty of chefs who'll swear by a quick sear on either side, then stick in the oven with some garlic butter on top for a few mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Heston uses an Oven to cook his perfect steak ,but i suspect 24 hours at lowest temperature with the door open is not how you utilised your oven in cooking the steak

There's plenty of chefs who'll swear by a quick sear on either side, then stick in the oven with some garlic butter on top for a few mins.

Ya but not a good cut of steak. That is fine for crap, cheap cuts. Not a rib eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,403 ✭✭✭✭cson

Finishing any quality of steak in an oven is fairly common practice in top kitchens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

cson wrote: »
    Finishing any quality of steak in an oven is fairly common practice in top kitchens.

True. Though more and more of the top restaurants have moved onto using industrial sous vide units where dozens of steaks are suspended in a water bath at 54 degrees to cook them rare and then they're seared on a pan and finished off to order.

Anyway Aldi Striploins for €6 sounds good but only 376g??? :eek:

Advertisement