Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Muahahaha wrote: »

Anyway Aldi Striploins for €6 sounds good but only 376g??? :eek:

€16 per kilo so just about qualifies as a bargain alert.

I tried the Lidl €3 202g steaks last week (both striploin and ribeye) and was pretty disappointed. They tasted good but were too thin to get that proper steak juiciness. They would be ideal for a steak sandwich/baguette but I will not be buying them again. As said previously, I would prefer to pay more for a thicker steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Those steaks were just too thin, nice taste but hard to cook them medium when they weren't even a cm thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

had these bad boys at the weekend, nicest I've ever had outside some top restaurants.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/meat/beef/products-detail-page/ps/p/specially-selected-2-irish-angus-8oz-sirloin-steak/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Got Rib-Eye with the bone in from Supervalu, massive one for €8, never been so stuffed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

podge018 wrote: »
    had these bad boys at the weekend, nicest I've ever had outside some top restaurants.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/meat/beef/products-detail-page/ps/p/specially-selected-2-irish-angus-8oz-sirloin-steak/

The rib eye of these is immense also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

byronbay2 wrote: »
    €16 per kilo so just about qualifies as a bargain alert.

I tried the Lidl €3 202g steaks last week (both striploin and ribeye) and was pretty disappointed. They tasted good but were too thin to get that proper steak juiciness. They would be ideal for a steak sandwich/baguette but I will not be buying them again. As said previously, I would prefer to pay more for a thicker steak.

Is €16/kilo not a rip off? I pay 10.99/kilo for sirloin from my butcher. Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Hoboo wrote:
    Is €16/kilo not a rip off? I pay 10.99/kilo for sirloin from my butcher. Am I missing something?
    10.99kg for sirloin? Is he killing his own cattle? He's making no money from that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If you can dig out a couple of thicker ones, those Striploin's in Aldi for €6 are decent enough. Got a couple of packets, very tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Hoboo wrote: »

€16/ Kilo is not a good price , 10.99 is very very competitive , I would be nervous on the quality of the sirloin at that price.
    you will find top quality Sirloin available ~€12.50 a kilo in most good butchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Got some very nice filet steaks in Lidl yesterday evening. 30% off - Expiry date 17/11. They were never going to last that long anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

byronbay2 wrote: »
    .....Am I just a fat/greedy bast*rd? Is a 202g steak enough for an adult??

if it makes you feel any better, i usually get a 600-700g ribeye fresh cut from my local butchers, but then I really am a greedy fat b*stard! :D

the upside of this (other than a massive steak, obviously) is that you don't need to fart around making other crap to fill up the rest of the plate as there isn't any room. :cool:

rob316 wrote: »
    If you can dig out a couple of thicker ones, those Striploin's in Aldi for €6 are decent enough. Got a couple of packets, very tasty

Had one last night, first time using the airfryer for steak too and the results were impressive wont be using the frying pan again. Steak was delicious!

Had one last night, first time using the airfryer for steak too and the results were impressive wont be using the frying pan again. Steak was delicious!

I use the airfryer too all the time now, just a tip for doing steak, sear it first in a dry pan for about 30 seconds on each side then finish in the airfryer according to how you like your steak done, I'm medium rare so give it 5 mins @ 200C

vibe666 wrote: »
    if it makes you feel any better, i usually get a 600-700g ribeye fresh cut from my local butchers, but then I really am a greedy fat b*stard! :D

the upside of this (other than a massive steak, obviously) is that you don't need to fart around making other crap to fill up the rest of the plate as there isn't any room. :cool:

600-700grm :eek::eek::eek:

I like your style

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

600-700grm :eek::eek::eek:

I like your style

I do pity his Colon though...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

My local Mediteranean shop,spices,rice, etc... Also sell Halal meat. Got some killer tbones for around 10euro a kg, cannot remember the actual price, but it was around that.
    Here is a picture. Actually can anybody tell me how to put a picture in a meassage? It's asking me for a url, but the picture isn't on the web like
    OK, think I got it. Thats a 28 cm pan by the way
    https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=7d4f918840&view=att&th=1511ac9b8c981b8b&attid=0.1&disp=safe&realattid=1518184329196339200-local0&zw

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No point linking to your Google account only you can see that for obvious reasons, upload it to imgur and use that link or attach it to the post with the Manage Attachments button.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

parttime wrote: »
    My local Mediteranean shop,spices,rice, etc... Also sell Halal meat. Got some killer tbones for around 10euro a kg, cannot remember the actual price, but it was around that.
    Here is a picture. Actually can anybody tell me how to put a picture in a meassage? It's asking me for a url, but the picture isn't on the web like
    OK, think I got it. Thats a 28 cm pan by the way
    https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=7d4f918840&view=att&th=1511ac9b8c981b8b&attid=0.1&disp=safe&realattid=1518184329196339200-local0&zw

Use gyazo to screenshot the **** out of that steak

Ok, Lovely thanks for your help. Behold the beauty
    Price for these two was 7.23

€10 KG for T-Bone seems unfeasibly competitive that is cheaper than bulk factory pricing !!

must be very low grade "Cow"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I don't know how to cook so I'm looking to go out and get a bargain steak in a restaurant. Does anyone have any steak bargain alerts for eating out?

There is a 3 course meal for two in Buenos Aires Grill for €37 on Menu pages

They have a 10Oz Ribeye or Striploin option for steak on that deal.

Not bad and a good kicking off point for apres Steak

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Doyler92 wrote: »
    I don't know how to cook so I'm looking to go out and get a bargain steak in a restaurant. Does anyone have any steak bargain alerts for eating out?

Buy 2 ribeyes, the aldi/lidl ones are fine.
    Take out of the fridge an hour or 2 before cooking. Open and sprinkle with a little soy sauce and plenty of black pepper.
    When your pan is very hot drop in a tiny bit of oil and drop the steaks in, fry for a few seconds, flip and turn down the heat to about half. Then 3 mins each side and bobs your mothers brother.
    For a really easy dinner ill have them with a few fried mushrooms and onions. Erin golden rice is really nice with steak. Pop it in water and cook for 12 mins. Onto the plate and place the steak on top, then the onions and shrooms.
    Simple and delicious. Anyone who can make toast can make that dinner.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Or if you feel for an adventure... https://www.hellofresh.co.uk/recipe/all/?query=steak (wish they had something like hellofresh here in ireland)

Or just go for a steak appetizer, main course steak and as dessert, steak.

€10 KG for T-Bone seems unfeasibly competitive that is cheaper than bulk factory pricing !!

No the quality is there all right. In the picture you will notice the fillet is removed, so it is really only striploin. Mediterranean store opposite Macdonalds in Westside, Galway if any one is interested

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

You forgot to say that the steak should be at room temperature. Oil the steak not the pan.

Though recently I've been putting steak straight into hot pan after seasoning it then in about a minute later, a knob of real butter. Perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

That's not true, cooking a steak fresh from the fridge is not the way to cook a steak. Even last night I was late home so didn't have time to leave the steak out, cooked it like I always do and it was just that little bit tougher than usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im not too big on obsessive little details like some cooks, more interested in speed, but I never cooked a good steak until someone on here told me about room temperature and seasoning an hour or two beforehand...

Advertisement