Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

GinaI wrote: »
    and , I guess, organising insurance

Well yeah, we need mortgage protection and home insurance.

I also still haven't received the survey which the guy said we should have had by Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

A week is very little really... Ours is a "quick sale" and it looks like it'll be 8 weeks start to finish. It took almost two weeks for our solicitor to receive the contracts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

A week is very little really... Ours is a "quick sale" and it looks like it'll be 8 weeks start to finish. It took almost two weeks for our solicitor to receive the contracts

Ours is a "quick sale" and is finally closing after about 9ish weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭GinaI

what do you count as a start?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

what do you count as a start?

Going sale agreed / paying the deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

There were some posts a few weeks back about brokers that people here have used - any chance I could get a PM? Thinking it's time to start dipping my toe in the water so to speak. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Yeh my quick sale was around 10 weeks. The house was unoccupied as well.

Hazydays123 have you paid your booking deposit? Usually EA's have no issue with you going back to have another look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hazydays123

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Yeh my quick sale was around 10 weeks. The house was unoccupied as well.

Hazydays123 have you paid your booking deposit? Usually EA's have no issue with you going back to have another look.

Yeah I've paid my booking deposit. The Estate Agent that we dealt with was not exactly pleasant so he might be obstructive just for the sake of it.
    I'd like to start getting quotes for work that needs to be done around the place, so we know what we're letting ourselves in for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

We've paid our booking deposit, we were supposed to pay the balance of the deposit three weeks after but they never came looking for it. Was talking to the EA this week, he said as we were buying a new build that is also a new type of house for the development, i.e. no show house yet, the builders won't look for the balance until the majority of the first house of this particular type is built. We will be invited to have an on-site walk around so to get a feel of the house and make sure it's what we're hoping. I thought that was a pretty cool thing to do?!

I think they are building the houses in an order that our house will actually be the first one built, so I'm happy with that.

Yeah I've paid my booking deposit. The Estate Agent that we dealt with was not exactly pleasant so he might be obstructive just for the sake of it.
    I'd like to start getting quotes for work that needs to be done around the place, so we know what we're letting ourselves in for.

Should you not have done that before going sale agreed? We had a builder view the house with us to give us a ballpark figure of what we'd need to spend. Anyway, bit late now. I'd just keep annoying the EA or your solicitor for updates.

• Advertisement

Should you not have done that before going sale agreed? We had a builder view the house with us to give us a ballpark figure of what we'd need to spend. Anyway, bit late now. I'd just keep annoying the EA or your solicitor for updates.

It was going for a really good price so we knew we wanted it no matter how much work needs to be done. Also it's in totally liveable condition so there's no rush to do it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

put a bid in on a house on Tuesday morning - no word from the EA yet.....and it begins again.

Would it be a good idea to get a mortgage protection policy and home insurance from the bank I am getting a mortgage from or should I shop around?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

It was going for a really good price so we knew we wanted it no matter how much work needs to be done. Also it's in totally liveable condition so there's no rush to do it up.

Not being smart but common sense would say you dont know if it is a good price until you know how much it cost to fix the house. You have done it backwards rushed in.

audi12 wrote: »
    Not being smart but common sense would say you dont know if it is a good price until you know how much it cost to fix the house. You have done it backwards rushed in.

you can know it's a good price by analysing the market?...

audi12 wrote: »

I actually find your posts quite amusing in their extreme pessimism, mixed in with this divine sense that you're always in the right.

The place we're buying needs new windows. That's about it. Because we have plenty of money left over, we're going to do it up to our taste. We'll have the mortgage paid off in 10yrs and it's a brilliant investment in a lovely area in Dublin.

<snip>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

I actually find your posts quite amusing in their extreme pessimism, mixed in with this divine sense that you're always in the right.

The place we're buying needs new windows. That's about it. Because we have plenty of money left over, we're going to do it up to our taste. We'll have the mortgage paid off in 10yrs and it's a brilliant investment in a lovely area in Dublin.

Maybe you should get off this thread as you seem to have no intention of actually buying anything. I can't figure out why you're hanging around a thread that's for people who are buying a home.
    Just offering advice I will buy when the time is right. If all it needs is windows fair enough but the fact that it needs windows suggests its an older house and will probably need more work survey or builder will know better to make offers subject to survey.

Would it be a good idea to get a mortgage protection policy and home insurance from the bank I am getting a mortgage from or should I shop around?

We went with the bank but only because it was the path of least resistance. We got death/ill-heath cover for 60 per month. That's probably a little steep but I liked the level of cover we're getting.
    You could get life cover on its own it for as little as 16 per month I think. Dependent on your medical history, age, etc.

<snip>

To be fair you said

which gives the impression a lot of work needs to be done to the house and not getting a quote for this before going sale agreed isn't the best course of action.

If it's just windows you need then you can probably wait to get quotes until after the sale closes.

There's loads of posts here from people who've gone sale agreed, paid deposits only for the whole thing to go belly up at the final hurdle. I'd wait until you've closed the sale before getting quotes for work to be done. When I was bidding/buying and even after I went sale agreed I was told not to get too invested and it was the best advice I was given.

To be fair you said

which gives the impression a lot of work needs to be done to the house and not getting a quote for this before going sale agreed isn't the best course of action.

If it's just windows you need then you can probably wait to get quotes until after the sale closes.

There's loads of posts here from people who've gone sale agreed, paid deposits only for the whole thing to go belly up at the final hurdle. I'd wait until you've closed the sale before getting quotes for work to be done. When I was bidding/buying and even after I went sale agreed I was told not to get too invested and it was the best advice I was given.

Well when I say that 'work needs to be done' I'm basically saying how could any normal human being live with a toxic green colored bathroom suite :D

It's not going to fall down around me anytime soon.
    Also you've both advised for and against getting quotes before going sale agreed above. Which kind of sums up this whole business of house-buying: clear as mud.

• Advertisement

Well when I say that 'work needs to be done' I'm basically saying how could any normal human being live with a toxic green colored bathroom suite :D

It's not going to fall down around me anytime soon.
    Also you've both advised for and against getting quotes before going sale agreed above. Which kind of sums up this whole business of house-buying: clear as mud.
    I got a ball park figure before putting on an offer because the house had worse than a toxic green coloured bathroom :D Usually the surveyors report will highlight anything major that needs to be done to the house as well so that will give you a fair idea also.

I got a proper quote after closing the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

A question folks. I received completion notice for the property. Is it 14 working days or just
    14 days to close?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Irish_rat wrote: »
    A question folks. I received completion notice for the property. Is it 14 working days or just
    14 days to close?

I'm in a similar position. Im waiting for a completion date and then it's 14 days to close

Santy2015 wrote: »
    I'm in a similar position. Im waiting for a completion date and then it's 14 days to close

just waiting on the valuation, they did market value when it was at 2nd fix and valued it below purchase price. Now I have to wait for them to value it at purchase price next week.

Pure pain but I expect to drawdown straight after. Did the snagging with engineer yesterday. Everything else looks fine can't imagine the bank asking for more documents since its sanctioned and I have house and life insurance in place. Also completed the direct debit mandate.

Did you get your house valued yet?

We went with the bank but only because it was the path of least resistance. We got death/ill-heath cover for 60 per month. That's probably a little steep but I liked the level of cover we're getting.
    You could get life cover on its own it for as little as 16 per month I think. Dependent on your medical history, age, etc.

Thanks. I got a quote for a mortgage protection ( I reckon it's the same thing as a life assurance) from the bank for 15 euro a month. They didn't mention that time they could offer a house insurance as well. But I found it out at a later stage and I am thinking if getting a quote from them as well. I find dealing with the bank very stressful as no explanations if steps involved were ever offered and also with amount of chasing calls I have to make ( I just hope it will worth it in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

well we think we have finally found our house. it's a new build so we don't have any dealings with bidding wars thank god. we going to hopefully chat with the builder on tue as there are 2 houses we are thinking of and the one we thinking of won't be built till sept. so will hopefully have a deposit down during the week all going well.

Anyone else bought a new build and if so could you tell me what the process is with deciding on colours, finishings etc.

Thanks

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I’ve decided not to go for a structural survey. May it delay a conveyancing process?

Please please do a survey, you won't regret it!

We did one on the house we had gone sale agreed on. Built in the 90's and the house is in really good condition so thought it was a formality.

Surveyor was excellent and had identified a HUGE structural issue that would have cost 10's of K to fix. We walked away but not in a million years would we have suspected that. So surveys are not just for old houses!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭REFLINE1

I ve decided not to go for a structural survey. May it delay a conveyancing process?

Please please do a survey, you won't regret it!

We did one on the house we had gone sale agreed on. Built in the 90's and the house is in really good condition so thought it was a formality.

Surveyor was excellent and had identified a HUGE structural issue that would have cost 10's of K to fix. We walked away but not in a million years would we have suspected that. So surveys are not just for old houses!
    Out of interest, what was the issue identified?

How long does a snag take to write up? We spent nearly 4 hours snagging last Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Irish_rat wrote: »
    How long does a snag take to write up? We spent nearly 4 hours snagging last Friday.

Jeez, i was thinking more along the lines of an hour. The engineer did most of our snagging at the start. Since then we've been up in the house on a few occasions with the EA And have picked up on a few things. Only minor but they're written down now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement