Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭budhabob

Konata wrote: »
    Should no offers on a house be a concern? There's this lovely house we've seen that has been on the market about a month but no offers on it yet. We are still waiting a final document before we can apply for the mortgage so we can't really put in an offer right now. We think it's fab but now I'm concerned as to why no one else has put an offer in yet. Is a month still early days for selling (it has had quite a few open viewings)? Should I be concerned there's something we are missing? I think the asking is maybe a little bit expensive but it's not too far off similar properties nearby so I don't think it's the price... Any thoughts or experiences?
    Not nessarily, but be sure to get an survey done. In some cases people can't see the potential in a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭GinaI

I’ve decided not to go for a structural survey. May it delay a conveyancing process?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

GinaI wrote: »
    I’ve decided not to go for a structural survey. May it delay a conveyancing process?

I'd seriously re think that, the solicitor will want it done to make it easier. Even if it's only minor faults it's peace of mind and stops you from worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Alkers

Could be the best 400e you ever spend and likely you can use the survey report to reduce the sale agreed price by at least the cost of the report.
    It would be very unlikely that your conveyancing would be that quick that you would not have time to get a survey completed and have time to consider the findings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

We just got some of the details from our surveyor on what he found. There's quite a lot of stuff but most of it is things we can do over the next 2 or 3 years. I can't imagine the surprises we would have had if we hadn't had a survey done.

We are buying an older house though, so we knew there would be some problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭Villa05

I would imagine there would be more potential issues in a new build than an older owner occupied house as any issues would be fixed over time.

Some of the new builds churned out in this country are a disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

We just got some of the details from our surveyor on what he found. There's quite a lot of stuff but most of it is things we can do over the next 2 or 3 years. I can't imagine the surprises we would have had if we hadn't had a survey done.

Our report has about 4 pages of non-essential things to sort :eek: Nothing at all serious but things we will be tapping away at for the next few years while we re-establish some semblance of savings :o Surely without a structural survey you're buying a little blind? For the sake of €4/500 on something you're forking out 100k plus on...it's a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 elainep13

Hi just looking for people's experience when bidding, we have been the highest bidder on a property for over two weeks but haven't got a yes from the seller that she will except our offer.
    Agent said he was waiting on a call from the seller yesterday, but she hadn't called, he was to follow up with her. Perhaps we need to get on to the agent more.

Does two weeks sound like a long time to wait. We originally viewed the house about 4/5 weeks ago when it had just come on to the market. There were two other bidders but neither wishes to bid any higher.

The house is being sold due to a marriage breakup, so thinking it could be a slow messy sale.

Buying in Walkinstown, Dublin 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hazydays123

Sale agreed here and totally in shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Sale agreed here and totally in shock.

:D yay!!!!!

• Advertisement

When I heard the other bidder had pulled out my immediate thought was 'is this something to do with Brexit and I just don't realize that property prices are going to crash in the next few weeks'. Then hailstones started beating down outside just to compound my general uneasiness!

Is it normal to feel both delighted but also massively apprehensive that you're doing the right thing? Has anybody else had an extremely quick turnaround from viewing to going sale agreed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Is it normal to feel both delighted but also massively apprehensive that you're doing the right thing? Has anybody else had an extremely quick turnaround from viewing to going sale agreed?

It'd be weird if you didn't imo.
    It's a huge thing! Delighted for you!

Tasden wrote: »
    It'd be weird if you didn't imo.
    It's a huge thing! Delighted for you!

Thanks! The bidding process was so intense. But also kind of fun!! I may have a latent gambling problem that I didn't know about!

As for the Brexit thing, we need a home and we're sick of renting. You have to balance the economics of it with your real life situation.

I hope things work out for everybody here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

As for the Brexit thing, we need a home and we're sick of renting. You have to balance the economics of it with your real life situation.

Here's hoping that it doesn't have any negative effect on the Irish property market

Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Congrats Hazydays! Absolutely normal to feel that weird mix of emotions in my experience anyway

Just got a closing date of next Wednesday! I'd imagine it will be a few days after that but that will still only be seven weeks since we went sale agreed :-0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I wouldn't worry about it. I can't see house prices falling until supply outstrips demand, that's not going to happen any time soon. Even then your not buying an investment your buying a home. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cnlbel

Just wondering roughly how long people heard back from banks after submitting documentation for approval in principle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

cnlbel wrote: »
    Just wondering roughly how long people heard back from banks after submitting documentation for approval in principle?

Ptsb, 5 days
    BOI, 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,181 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We applied for full approval on a particular house and received it from Ulster in about 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

So, disappointing news from me, the house we had our hearts set on, we have been outbid. By 10k!!

I'm just devastated. I think, even though the EA seemed really great to us, that perhaps he was still playing around in the background.

The house needs work, from top to bottom, and apparently these people have more room to bid higher than we did.

I just don't understand whether our offer was even brought to the vendors, or what happened. Seems just so out of left field. I worry if we went up another 5k, the other people would have more again.

I just feel like it's such a harsh market right now, with no chance for us to find somewhere to live.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    We applied for full approval on a particular house and received it from Ulster in about 2 weeks

I found Ulsterbank really need to be put under pressure before they'll make a decision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

When I heard the other bidder had pulled out my immediate thought was 'is this something to do with Brexit and I just don't realize that property prices are going to crash in the next few weeks'. Then hailstones started beating down outside just to compound my general uneasiness!

They are going to crash in Enland no doubht about that. May fall here also who knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

audi12 wrote: »
    They are going to crash in Enland no doubht about that. May fall here also who knows

Mod note
    And there are plenty of places to discuss that. This thread is not one of those places. See the thread title!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

We were a week finding out from AIB. smiley sorry to hear you were outbid on a house of your dreams. we were also and i was gutted but kinda lucky for us there is another house in the same estate also on sale but on a smaller scale. means we need to put an extension on but we are trying to go for it. am well nervous that we will be outbid on this also.

mollybird wrote: »
    We were a week finding out from AIB. smiley sorry to hear you were outbid on a house of your dreams. we were also and i was gutted but kinda lucky for us there is another house in the same estate also on sale but on a smaller scale. means we need to put an extension on but we are trying to go for it. am well nervous that we will be outbid on this also.

why are you getting involved in bidding wars when the market is flat beyond belief

why are you getting involved in bidding wars when the market is flat beyond belief

What evidence do you have that the market is flat? My experience is the opposite. A relative just bought a property that went for 90k over the asking price. Asking prices are mostly being met/exceeded.

You've basically said the same thing over and over today on this thread about property prices dropping, etc but I've been in the market for the last while and I had the opposite experience.

What evidence do you have that the market is flat? My experience is the opposite. A relative just bought a property that went for 90k over the asking price. Asking prices are mostly being met/exceeded.

You've basically said the same thing over and over today on this thread about property prices dropping, etc but I've been in the market for the last while and I had the opposite experience.

I never said they were dropping they are flat up one month down another. I know the property market outside Dublin if you are buying in a selective part of Dublin then thats what you are going to get if you wont wait for houses to be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

I never said they were dropping they are flat up one month down another. I know the property market outside Dublin if you are buying in a selective part of Dublin then thats what you are going to get if you wont wait for houses to be built.

In Cork there going for above asking in the majority of cases I've seen and IMO the asking price was overvalued in most cases.

It's a depressing time to go house hunting and I've been looking for 6 months. Waiting for the right one and it will be worth it in the end.

Flat?

House prices are rising every month outside Dublin. If you were actually trying to buy and following sales and prices closely you would know this. You obviously aren't as you are playing this same tune in many threads and you are just wrong.

• Advertisement

Flat?

House prices are rising every month outside Dublin. If you were actually trying to buy and following sales and prices closely you would know this. You obviously aren't as you are playing this same tune in many threads and you are just wrong.

Are you for real what rubbish they fell the last couple of months outside Dublin and yes I will be buying to let when the time is right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement