Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ZUK Z1 - Flagship & OnePlus Killer?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

I decided to change my phone to use TWRP Recovery and CyanogenMod recently so thought I'd post my experience in case anyone else is doing the same. Most people won't need or want to do this so just ignore this post if you don't know what I'm talking about.

This came about because I needed to update the ROM and KingRoot had f'd up my partitions so I couldn't use the standard Recovery->Official ROM route. It's just my own opinion but I'd advise anyone to stay away from KingRoot. I had some phone problems that may or may not have been linked to it but even if it wasn't related, it's a pain in the ass to remove.

I had huge trouble getting my phone to be recognised by adb in Windows (7). The phone would show up in the Explorer but adb returned no connected device and I wasn't getting the RSA prompt on the phone. I finally got it working by installing the latest adb-sdk. I had Android Studio installed already but it was only when I uninstalled it and went with the standalone adb-sdk and the default Google Drivers that it worked. Once this was done, it was simply a matter of unlocking the bootloader, flashing TWRP for the Zuk Z1 (on xda-developer, breadcrumb's I think) and then flashing the Official CyanongenMod ROM (also available on xda-developer). Finally, I got a SuperSU image and flashed that through TWRP as well.

All is working well now. Running Android 6.0.1 and have root access. I might look into the Xposed Framework next. The only thing I miss is that the screen doesn't seem to come on when I open the cover.Edit: Never mind, it seems to be working now.

I'll report back if I notice any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭irishchris

I decided to change my phone to use TWRP Recovery and CyanogenMod recently so thought I'd post my experience in case anyone else is doing the same. Most people won't need or want to do this so just ignore this post if you don't know what I'm talking about.

This came about because I needed to update the ROM and KingRoot had f'd up my partitions so I couldn't use the standard Recovery->Official ROM route. It's just my own opinion but I'd advise anyone to stay away from KingRoot. I had some phone problems that may or may not have been linked to it but even if it wasn't related, it's a pain in the ass to remove.

I had huge trouble getting my phone to be recognised by adb in Windows (7). The phone would show up in the Explorer but adb returned no connected device and I wasn't getting the RSA prompt on the phone. I finally got it working by installing the latest adb-sdk. I had Android Studio installed already but it was only when I uninstalled it and went with the standalone adb-sdk and the default Google Drivers that it worked. Once this was done, it was simply a matter of unlocking the bootloader, flashing TWRP for the Zuk Z1 (on xda-developer, breadcrumb's I think) and then flashing the Official CyanongenMod ROM (also available on xda-developer). Finally, I got a SuperSU image and flashed that through TWRP as well.

All is working well now. Running Android 6.0.1 and have root access. I might look into the Xposed Framework next. The only thing I miss is that the screen doesn't seem to come on when I open the cover.Edit: Never mind, it seems to be working now.

I'll report back if I notice any issues.
    King root never worked correctly for me either after numerous attempts. I went the unlocking bootloader manually, flashing cm 13 and rooting. I also installed xposed framework which works perfect as wanted to use adblocker and root cloak for my banking app. Both modules work great and have to say now the Zuk Z1 is an outstanding device made all the better by the above

irishchris wrote: »
    King root never worked correctly for me either after numerous attempts. I went the unlocking bootloader manually, flashing cm 13 and rooting. I also installed xposed framework which works perfect as wanted to use adblocker and root cloak for my banking app. Both modules work great and have to say now the Zuk Z1 is an outstanding device made all the better by the above

Ya I got to say I'm very happy with it so far. It's quick and responsive, nice screen, loads of storage space and great battery life. The last two served me well when I was travelling recently.

I'm also glad it's USB C instead of Micro. God I hate Micro USB. Stupid design. I've gone through so many of those cables over the years.

Any thoughts on Xpose adblock vs Adaway? I've been using the latter for years but always open to something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭irishchris

Ya I got to say I'm very happy with it so far. It's quick and responsive, nice screen, loads of storage space and great battery life. The last two served me well when I was travelling recently.

I'm also glad it's USB C instead of Micro. God I hate Micro USB. Stupid design. I've gone through so many of those cables over the years.

Any thoughts on Xpose adblock vs Adaway? I've been using the latter for years but always open to something new.
    Didn't find the xposed adblock as effective as many sites would still have adverts. Find adaway much better and is the one I use. I also have the YouTube adblock xposed module and root cloak module also installed for using my banking app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭SM01

An incremental system update that arrived today sees the auto-rotate fixed :-)

• Advertisement

Has anyone else had issues with the Zuk failing to connect to your mobile network? It's happened to me twice now. I thought it might have been something I did the first time but this time it definitely can't be. Bit pi**ed off. Not much point in having a phone if it can't make or receive calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭Harika

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭biebiebie

The ZUK Z2 Pro will be supposedly unveiled on April 21, so maybe something related to that?

Advertisement