Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ZUK Z1 - Flagship & OnePlus Killer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bigmike99

Kur4mA wrote: »
    I would not even use a Lenovo product if it was given to me for free. If you care about your privacy in any way, I'd research the type of software they're loading onto their laptops before using their other products.

what type of software comes with lenovo laptops that worries you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭irishchris

Kur4mA wrote: »
    I would not even use a Lenovo product if it was given to me for free. If you care about your privacy in any way, I'd research the type of software they're loading onto their laptops before using their other products.

And you don't think the consumer associations in Europe would have n issue with any spyware etc you are referring to. Anyway I have their standard os deleted and cyanogenmod marshmallow installed

Greenman wrote: »
    Thanks IC. Just one more thing, how is the camera in normal conditions? smile.png

Camera quite good but I use snap camera app

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Got one of these yesterday (after ordering from zuk.eu on Thursday). Loving it so far. Big improvement all round over my old Nexus 4.

I'll post back if I find any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Got one of these yesterday (after ordering from zuk.eu on Thursday). Loving it so far. Big improvement all round over my old Nexus 4.

I look forward to that. smile.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

"Snapdragon 801"

HAHAHAHA how can you call that even a flagship? thats a SOC from 2012 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Asmooh wrote: »
    "Snapdragon 801"

Q2-2013 since the 801 is nothing more than a rebranded 800 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

bigmike99 wrote: »
    what type of software comes with lenovo laptops that worries you?

Malware and Spyware.

http://thehackernews.com/2015/09/lenovo-laptop-virus.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭thomasj

Asmooh wrote:
    "Snapdragon 801"

Asmooh wrote:

In fairness its one of the few phone companies that put some thought into the battery over the last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

How's it going with the Z1?

"Snapdragon 801"

And your point is? For daily use how would the older 801 processor in anyway affect majority of users?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭SM01

This dated processor talk is nonsense. I've used a few'flagships' and in every-day use, there's fúck all difference that I can perceive in terms of speed and capacity to handle a shedload of opened apps. The processor is extremely capable. Don't see what the point is.

Greenman wrote: »
    How's it going with the Z1?

Great so far! Haven't had an issues so haven't had anything to post :D

I guess the 4G band thing might be an issue for some. I've only seen it pick up H+ networks so far (in Galway area). But my own phone didn't have 4G at all and this one seems to be able to get better speeds from H+ so I'm not bothered.

It also made my car phone cradle fall off due to the extra weight :D
    SM01 wrote: »
    This dated processor talk is nonsense. I've used a few'flagships' and in every-day use, there's fúck all difference that I can perceive in terms of speed and capacity to handle a shedload of opened apps. The processor is extremely capable. Don't see what the point is.

My experience supports this. Haven't noticed the phone struggle once.

Great so far! Haven't had an issues so haven't had anything to post :D

I guess the 4G band thing might be an issue for some. I've only seen it pick up H+ networks so far (in Galway area). But my own phone didn't have 4G at all and this one seems to be able to get better speeds from H+ so I'm not bothered.

It also made my car phone cradle fall off due to the extra weight :D

My experience supports this. Haven't noticed the phone struggle once.
    Funny, I had a iphone 6s and I have the SD810 and both cases I have noticed that it does lag sometimes when using the phone.
    Maybe i just noticed things, while others don't?

If I need to wait a few seconds its "slow" in my terms.

Funny, I had a iphone 6s and I have the SD810 and both cases I have noticed that it does lag sometimes when using the phone.
    Maybe i just noticed things, while others don't?

If I need to wait a few seconds its "slow" in my terms.

I presume you mean milliseconds? Everybody is going to notice a delay of seconds.

So far the only delay I can see is rendering the web page when you switch back to the browser. I don't count that though because there's too many variables as to what could cause this delay.

I presume you mean milliseconds? Everybody is going to notice a delay of seconds.

So far the only delay I can see is rendering the web page when you switch back to the browser. I don't count that though because there's too many variables as to what could cause this delay.

this morning example I wanted to take a pic.. took me about 15 seconds for the camera to open.
    Sometimes I switch apps, takes me 10+ seconds.

Oh and I have a phone with SD810 and 4GB ram...

this morning example I wanted to take a pic.. took me about 15 seconds for the camera to open.

There's something else going on so. That's a massive delay. I wouldn't have expected that on my old Nexus 4.

What ROM are you using? Have you any background apps running? Virus scan or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Maybe you should get a Zuk Z1 ? Just tested it there and it only took 1.5 seconds to open the Camera. Laughable processor and all :pac:

Has anyone unlocked the bootloader and flashed a custom recovery? Is there any issues/things to watch out for?

• Advertisement

Has anyone unlocked the bootloader and flashed a custom recovery? Is there any issues/things to watch out for?

I unlocked the bootloader and flagged cm13 rom. Was worried about doing it as had issues before with Samsungs in the past but no issues. Very straightforward and quick to do

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

quick question for owners

Does 4g work on this in Dublin with say vodafone?

thinking about getting this version
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/ZUK-Z1-Smartphone-Fingerprint-Identification-Grey/dp/B014GX8EL8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Also is there a new one coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭thomasj

bonkers wrote:
    Also is there a new one coming?

Yep there was an announcement a few months ago that the zuk z2 would be coming with snapdragon 820.
    bonkers wrote:
    Does 4g work on this in Dublin with say vodafone?

This is a tough one. Vodafone, like meteor use 2 LTE bands, 3 and 20. Band 3 is used more in the city with band 20 out in suburbs and rural areas.

I had a oneplus one that also like the zuk z1, doesn't have band 20 and at home in hartstown, I never got LTE once. I got a new phone huawei GX8 yesterday and it has never come off LTE since I came home.

So make sure that it's LTE band 3 that's working for you, otherwise you maybe only getting H+

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

bonkers wrote: »

Its cheaping from the official zuk store that some posted a while back. €280 with free shipping. Shipped from eu.
    https://zuk.eu/shop/

Gizchina has a discount code that takes another 20 quid off this, gizchina20

A new system update arrived yesterday. After the install I've noticed that auto-rotate has stopped working. Anyone else reporting the same?

A new system update arrived yesterday. After the install I've noticed that auto-rotate has stopped working. Anyone else reporting the same?

Can't answer your question but I have a different one to ask you. Is your phone rooted? Did updating the system have any impact on root?

I'm using King Root at the moment and don't fancy losing it. Don't have the time to mess around with getting root back.

No not rooted, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Installing now so will let you know.

Edit: Stil working fine for me. Cyanogen mod: 12.1 YOG4PAS60J

• Registered Users Posts: 7,060 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Seems dodgy for me since update too actually, not broken completely though

• Advertisement

Seems dodgy for me since update too actually, not broken completely though

Yeah I've noticed that if I give the phone a good shake then it registers eventually that I've turned the phone landscape.

Advertisement